Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you're interested in the 80s Titans, I suggest you just start at the beginning with New Teen Titans #1 (the 1980 version, not the 1984 relaunch). The older Titans stuff is ... forgettable, to put it kindly, and isn't really necessary to know continuity-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I would recommend getting a hold of Golden Age and Starman by James Robinson if you want some historical DC stuff. Also JSA by Johns is pretty good for history of DC stuff as well. If you want to read a good history and future story Kingdom Come is the thing for you as well.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What about DC Rebirth?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Rebirth has been going since 2016 and it's pretty good. Tom King's Batman started in rebirth and I loved his run, probably my favorite Batman since Grant Morrison's run. Flash was also enjoyable.

e: looking over the wiki for Rebirth, there were a lot of good titles: Suicide Squad, Justice League of America, Deathstroke, New Superman, Super Sons are all worth a read.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 1, 2020

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I mean, is Rebirth good for learning DC lore as it appears to be a celebration of it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I mean, is Rebirth good for learning DC lore as it appears to be a celebration of it?

Ah......eh........Rebirth is more of a "we made a mistake discarding history and lore with nu-52 so we are going to admit it with Rebirth". I wouldn't say its a good jumping on point if you want something that celebrates DC lore and history (though if you want to read Rebirth hoping for that then you should probably read Doomsday Clock which works with DC history and lore). IMO though it isn't really a good celebration and learning tool for the DCU. It's more of Johns going "the DCU should be happy and hopeful unlike everything I write which isn't that".
You already read New Frontier which would be a great intro to lore and celebration. Golden Age (mentioned before) is another one that explores the heroes of the 40's and 50's and is really a fun story. Starman explores the idea of legacy and the connection between the original DC heroes and the current ones.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
New Frontier was utterly fantastic. It's so refreshing to see heroes that have powers and aren't endlessly bitching (Marvel).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

GOD IS BED posted:

Rebirth has been going since 2016 and it's pretty good. Tom King's Batman started in rebirth and I loved his run, probably my favorite Batman since Grant Morrison's run. Flash was also enjoyable.

e: looking over the wiki for Rebirth, there were a lot of good titles: Suicide Squad, Justice League of America, Deathstroke, New Superman, Super Sons are all worth a read.

This, plus Superman and Wonder Woman, both of which reached satisfying highs they seem to have since left behind.

Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps and Green Lanterns are both solid Rebirth runs, but if you're going to go green you may as well pace through New 52 Green Lantern and its events first, but it's not deathly necessary.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How do I go about it if I want to learn the entire Bat family storyline?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

How do I go about it if I want to learn the entire Bat family storyline?

Morrison's Batman probably.

The first Nightwing ongoing from the 90s is pretty good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For entire Bat family line I guess Batman Eternal. Probably the best bet is a crossover but good ones are quite rare. I guess Contagion is okay (Legacy isn't) or for a good one read No Man's Land.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

For entire Bat family line I guess Batman Eternal. Probably the best bet is a crossover but good ones are quite rare. I guess Contagion is okay (Legacy isn't) or for a good one read No Man's Land.

Not war games and war crimes?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Not war games and war crimes?

I don't know if this is a serious post or not but in case it is then no, not war crimes/games

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I really want to get Into DC. I don't know where to start. I grew up with Marvel but for some reason as an adult I prefer DC. I've read a smattering of DC books: Moore books, All Star Superman, Superman For All Seasons, Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns...currently reading New Frontier now. I want to learn and catch up on the whole mythology of DC and history of DC, and learn the storylines of key characters like Dick Grayson. I picked up New 52 for a while and loved it but the contuity was still confusing. I hear Rebirth is much better?

I love Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. I'm particularly obsessed with the idea of Superman basically being a God and just trying to do good in the world where he can.

Also reading Moore's Superman run.

I really want to get into the 80's Teen Titans too.

One more recommendation for Golden Age and Starman if you're interested in the DCU's rich history and legacies. James Robinson wrote both, and I believe they were his best works.

I also enjoyed Geoff Johns' JSA, although I don't remember if I ever finished it.

Jupiter Jazz, you might also track down Marv Wolfman and George Perez's History of the DC Universe, which was a quick history of everything after Crisis on Infinite Earths streamlined and reorganized DC's tangled and complex continuity in 1986. A lot of it probably isn't valid anymore, but it will give you a snapshot of 1986-2011 continuity, and Perez's art is always really pretty.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 1, 2020

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Robinson’s Starman is my favourite comic. I felt that way when I first read it and didn’t know anything about DC. Read it again a few times.

Started reading DC when Rebirth came out.

Morrison’s Batman to current. Plus offshoots.

All the Green Lanterns. The events.

Flash by Waid, then John’s.

It just increased and increased because I maxed out on Marvel and there wasn’t really anything good that I hadn’t read after 30 years.

Pick some things to start and let it all flow naturally.

I didn’t know what the Legion of Super Heroes was 4 years ago and now I’ve read almost all of it.

Have fun!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
John Ostrander's run on Suicide Squad from the 80's. It's fantastic.

All Star Superman by Grant Morrison

Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, and Batman: Year One by Miller. Actually, blanket rec for anything Miller did for DC in the 80's.

If Vertigo recs are okay (they're owned by DC) Planetary by Warren Ellis, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, and Scalped by Jason Aaron.

Seconding the Robinson Starman rec. Its goddamned amazing. Same for Morrison on Batman and Waid's Flash.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 4, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

John Ostrander's run on Suicide Squad from the 80's. It's fantastic.

It is, and this is where I mention again that I have the complete run, including all related miniseries and crossover issues, and I'm desperately trying to sell it. I'm asking $175 shipped (within the U.S.) for 107 issues.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
From the last 2 years, what do I need to read from Marvel/DC/Image/Vertigo?

I've kept up with Chip Zdarsky, cause he's great

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 5, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

From the last 2 years, what do I need to read from Marvel/DC/Image/Vertigo?

If you like X-Men then definitely X-Men and most of its side books.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

If you like X-Men then definitely X-Men and most of its side books.

Which writers?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

For X-Men start with Hickman's House of X / Powers of X.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For X-Men start with Hickman's House of X / Powers of X.

Yeah, start with that and read everything that comes out after aside from Fallen Angels.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Seconding that Fallen Angels slid off a cliff and exploded.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I really want to get Into DC. I don't know where to start. I grew up with Marvel but for some reason as an adult I prefer DC. I've read a smattering of DC books: Moore books, All Star Superman, Superman For All Seasons, Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns...currently reading New Frontier now. I want to learn and catch up on the whole mythology of DC and history of DC, and learn the storylines of key characters like Dick Grayson. I picked up New 52 for a while and loved it but the contuity was still confusing. I hear Rebirth is much better?

I love Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. I'm particularly obsessed with the idea of Superman basically being a God and just trying to do good in the world where he can.

Also reading Moore's Superman run.

I really want to get into the 80's Teen Titans too.

From this and the other responses, id heavily recommend all of the significant post crisis books as they set the mold for DCs modern depictions.

Batman Year One
Man Of Steel
Perez Wonder Woman
Messner-Loebs and Waid/Morrison/Millar Flash
Ron Marz Green Lantern, particularly around the Emerald Knights storyline, is a excellent celebration of Hal Jordan and the GL Corps era (along with a basic exposition dump on the history of Hal and the Corps) in the I cant Believe hes not Spider Man! Era of Kyle Rayner
JSA by Goyer and Johns
JLA by Morrison
Kingdom Come (really heavy on the idea that Superman is a failed Christ allegory)
first go around of Greg Rucka Wonder Woman
Young Justice by Peter David
Impulse

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Knives Amilli posted:

From this and the other responses, id heavily recommend all of the significant post crisis books as they set the mold for DCs modern depictions.

Batman Year One
Man Of Steel
Perez Wonder Woman
Messner-Loebs and Waid/Morrison/Millar Flash
Ron Marz Green Lantern, particularly around the Emerald Knights storyline, is a excellent celebration of Hal Jordan and the GL Corps era (along with a basic exposition dump on the history of Hal and the Corps) in the I cant Believe hes not Spider Man! Era of Kyle Rayner
JSA by Goyer and Johns
JLA by Morrison
Kingdom Come (really heavy on the idea that Superman is a failed Christ allegory)
first go around of Greg Rucka Wonder Woman
Young Justice by Peter David
Impulse

Thanks. I've read Year One and now I'm reading Batman comics up until Death in the Family. Since Dick isn't Robin anymore it's also a good jump point for New Teen Titans. So when I finish the Post-Crisis stuff I'll start reading New Teen Titans and Golden and Silver Age comics, to prepare myself for Crisis.

Also Superman is quickly becoming my favorite superhero. Spider-Man (my childhood favorite) seems like a massive loving loser in comparison. I extend this to almost all of the X-Men as well. Mixing the whole civil rights thing with super heroes is really neat and helped a lot with self esteem as a black lgbt teenager or a young adult in a cold world. But as a graying rear end adult over here the whole "woe is me, I have super powers!" is the height of being a loving loser. Having super powers isn't the same as being a normal rear end human and being treated like poo poo because of the color of your skin or being gay or trans. The allegory doesn't work for me anymore. Marvel still subsists on that kind of thing too. It's just old and stale for me. Meanwhile, Superman embraces who he is and he struggles with the fact that he's basically a God and still helps people. And despite (or in spite) of all the tragic elements that comes with Supes' story he doesn't cry like a loser about being different.

Something about the Marvel formula doesn't interest me the older I get.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 6, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I read A Once Crowded Sky ages ago by Tom King and I am wondering about some recommendations for some novels by comic book writers. Also chances are I have asked this question before and if I have I apologize

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

I read A Once Crowded Sky ages ago by Tom King and I am wondering about some recommendations for some novels by comic book writers. Also chances are I have asked this question before and if I have I apologize
Charles Soule has written a couple novels: The Oracle Year and Anyone both of which are pretty good, easy reads. Greg Rucka has a bunch of Queen and Country novels, but I haven't read those, myself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you liked Mike Carey's Hellblazer run he wrote the Felix Castor series of books that's basically John Constantine with the serial numbers filed off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I believe Saladin Ahmed and G Willow Wilson have written prose and I know Nnedi Okorafor has a series of africanfuturism novels

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

This is technically backwards, but China Mieville's books are all really good

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

N.K. Jemisin is a great sci-fi author, can't miss there.

Christopher Golden is a novelist, I can only speak for Baltimore, which I enjoyed.

Faith Erin Hicks wrote a YA romance, Comics Will Break Your Heart, that could substitute comics for any legacy/inheritance and still hit the same beats.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh right G. Willow Wilson was a prose writer first. Definitely check out her stuff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Oh right G. Willow Wilson was a prose writer first. Definitely check out her stuff.

Yes, try Alif the Unseen.

Rucka also has the Atticus Kodiak series. If you like Jack Reacher and that sort of thing, you'll probably like this.

And then there's Alan Moore's Jerusalem.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I've read Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis. In hindsight, the protagonist being sheparded by a younger woman from fringe sex fetish group to fringe sex fetish group in search of a macguffin doesn't read so well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WaffleZombie posted:

I've read Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis. In hindsight, the protagonist being sheparded by a younger woman from fringe sex fetish group to fringe sex fetish group in search of a macguffin doesn't read so well.

Gun machine is better and I don't remember it having that. I remember liking Crooked Little Vein when it came out but Gun Machine actually made me wish he would write more novels.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Are there any recommendations for He-Man comics?

He-Man stories had a bit more depth and were often reasonably well written (compared to other children's media at the time). My Point-Dread toy came with an book&record that I found pretty compelling at age 5. It seems there have been a few lines of comics and I'm wondering if there are any that take the stories and mythology at all seriously. IMHO, He-Man had the potential for some real storytelling but of course all of those cartoon-products in the 80s were incredibly dumbed down.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Gameko posted:

Are there any recommendations for He-Man comics?

He-Man stories had a bit more depth and were often reasonably well written (compared to other children's media at the time). My Point-Dread toy came with an book&record that I found pretty compelling at age 5. It seems there have been a few lines of comics and I'm wondering if there are any that take the stories and mythology at all seriously. IMHO, He-Man had the potential for some real storytelling but of course all of those cartoon-products in the 80s were incredibly dumbed down.

There's a 1200-page omnibus of all the comics that came packed in with the figures. They can follow their own mythology and aren't too connected with the cartoon:

ISBN 9781616558772

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any recommendations on good adventure/fantasy comics for an almost 6 year old?

We have been reading my daughter a lot of classic fantasy books that she has loved, including Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone, Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Alice and Wonderland, and the Wizard of Oz series.

She and I read Bone and some of the new Ducktales comics together earlier this year, which were a big hit, and I’m looking for something else along those lines.

Bonus if she can read it on her own, as she’s become a voracious reader this year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Amulet, maybe. Might be a little heavy, but it's in line with the other things you've read.

I'm probably getting a niece Lumberjanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't know if it's fantasy despite talking animals but the Barks/Rosa Scrooge and Donald comics would be good.

Mayyyyyyyybe Usagi Yojimbo. There's a lot of killing but it's not graphic and has a cute cartoon skull. The themes might be too advanced but I think a kid could still enjoy it.

Also if she likes Oz then Marvel put out quite a few books written by Shanower. My old boss would bring her 7-8 year old daughter in to the office and she liked the one I have floating around.