Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

I eat cauliflower because I like it :colbert:

Cauliflower rice is the church waifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Stop it I'm trying to justify my bad decisions.

I'm gonna blame my wife. I bought it for her. The $50 jamon will be mine in a matter of weeks

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I kinda of wonder if anyone buying cauliflower rice has ever touched a head of cauliflower before cause man that poo poo falls apart so easy the idea of pre-mincing it seems about as necessary as pre crumbled chips. You don't even need a knife, minced cauliflower is what happens when you're not careful enough with it.

Actually writing that out I wouldn't even be surprised if that was the origin, after the sliced and diced stuff you find in frozen packs of vegetables they sweep down the shoots and package "cauliflower rice".

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 12, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ultimate Mango posted:

If the three pack for a tenner, then it was actual DOP San Manzano tomatoes. They are good.

Rao’s is amazing. Trader Joe’s pizza dough. Raos and Mozzarella from Costco. Basil from wherever (TJs has it fresh usually, because I can’t keep a plant alive).

900F pizza oven in the backyard. Never delivery again.

ah gently caress I forgot to grab a bunch of basil at the asian supermarket!

that's one thing costco is missing. gimmie like a pound of basil

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

SirPablo posted:

The frozen cauliflower rice is great too. Throw it in a pot, cook out the moisture, boom solid base for a meal.

Yes

Gaius Marius posted:

I never understood people's obsession with trying to make one food another. Cauli rice sucks, Zucchini noodles suck, Tufurkey is god awful. Make loving roasted Cauli, Zucchini bread, or Mapo Tofu. You can make 'em good but not if your trying to make them something else

No

ShowTime posted:

So many opinions about the cauliflower rice. It's cauliflower boys and girls. And it's frozen. Face it, you aren't eating cauliflower rice for the flavor, you are eating it because you don't want to stuff a bunch of calories down your face. It's good for that reason. It doesn't require buying a head of cauliflower, mincing it and cooking it yourself.

Exactly

With a strict calorie budget you can get eat a lower % of carbs if you use cauliflower rice instead of rice, and about 130 calories fewer as part of a meal vs rice., that's about as filling. It certainly isn't as nice as rice but it's amazing for what it's actually for. I love it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what do the calorie figures look like on those biodegradable packing peanuts they make out of cornstarch or whatever, those are also less pleasant to eat than rice

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

The $50 jamon will be mine in a matter of weeks

Take one and hide it in the store, behind a pallet of hand moisturizer, then come back in March when it's been marked down to $10.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Take one and hide it in the store, behind a pallet of hand moisturizer, then come back in March when it's been marked down to $10.

$9.98 with the all important *

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

What was your worst church purchase?

The lady at our office started buying Kirkland coffee.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

UltraRed posted:

:chloe:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Renegret posted:

I eat cauliflower because I like it :colbert:

Cauliflower is cool & good. Cauliflower pizza crust (well-done and well-soaked with olive oil and a garlic rub) can be cool & good. Cauliflower rice is an abomination before god & man and should be burned from the face of the earth with the fury of ten thousand Dresdens.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
So I bought one of those Costco Jamon hams. Besides eating it by itself, what else can you do with it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

luchajones posted:

So I bought one of those Costco Jamon hams. Besides eating it by itself, what else can you do with it?

:justpost: about it?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

it makes a pretty neat bludgeon

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

killer crane posted:

it makes a pretty neat bludgeon

Murder someone with it then eat the evidence.

The perfect crime.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

Murder someone with it then eat the evidence.

The perfect crime.
Not sure what cannibalism has to do with ham but ok

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

UltraRed posted:

Yea my wife was just complaining about the dark roast this morning. I told her I'd add it to the forbidden list.

luchajones posted:

You can make bocadillos with the meat or serve it as a tapas (so basically deconstructed sandwich ingredients of break, cheese, olives, etc). You could also shave a bunch and share with friends/co-workers cause you're probably not going to eat 8-9 lbs of it.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Martman posted:

Not sure what cannibalism has to do with ham but ok

Long pig

downout
Jul 6, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what do the calorie figures look like on those biodegradable packing peanuts they make out of cornstarch or whatever, those are also less pleasant to eat than rice

:munch: go on

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

luchajones posted:

You can hang it above your front door so everyone knows what church you really belong too.

You can barter with it. 1 Jamon ham is worth approximately 6 sea shells or 25 bottle caps.

You can wear it for a winter scarf. It's quite fetching, really.

You can sacrifice it to Cthulhu. He's a ham lover.

You can mail it to me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

La Sociedad del Camino del Jamón

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

luchajones posted:

David Chang has a recipe for red eye coffee mayo that allegedly goes amazing with sliced ham.

https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/momofuku-redeye-mayonnaise-recipe/

There's a video of Jose Andres drunk in Momofuku eating it and talking about how insanely good it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_f4SoNud4&t=502s

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah raos is fuckin good just made a pizza with some the other night. doubt i could ever justify the time to make my own red sauce when it exists

Unison
Oct 12, 2005

luchajones posted:

I bought the ham and have been eating ham for like a month now.

I basically cracked down and froze a lot of it in foodsaver bags because its sheer size made me confront my limits as a human being.

That said, I cut off some slabs along with the slices that I can use to put into pasta dishes (e.g. carbonara) or to chop up and toss with some glazed brussels sprouts or the like. More or less it's a passable bacon replacement for your cooking needs.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Unison posted:

More or less it's a passable bacon replacement for your cooking needs.

Mods!!!

We don't talk about the ham that way in here

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What happens if you try cooking with it?

Like, I love ramming prosciutto into my mouth. But every time I try cooking with it, it sucks. I had no bacon the other day so I tried frying up some as a bacon replacement in an omelette and I ended up throwing the whole thing away.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

might be good in something like carbonara, where it's not the star of the dish. you might have to add some fats to cook it in.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Renegret posted:

What happens if you try cooking with it?

Like, I love ramming prosciutto into my mouth. But every time I try cooking with it, it sucks. I had no bacon the other day so I tried frying up some as a bacon replacement in an omelette and I ended up throwing the whole thing away.

A small amount of prosciutto or capicola on pizza is good. Just need the right toppings to accompany it.

E: Saw that the Klipsch 2.1 speakers are on sale for $89 until 12/24. Might have to replace the lovely Insignia ones I have...

EE:

ShowTime posted:

Prosciutto and pineapple.

Offend the masses.

Ooh that sounds good. Might go with some spicy capicola too. Pepperoni pineapple is a great combo. This would be like a ~fancy~ version.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 13, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

its all nice on rice posted:

A small amount of prosciutto or capicola on pizza is good. Just need the right toppings to accompany it.

Prosciutto and pineapple.

Offend the masses.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Prosciutto wrapped scallops are really good, could also wrap cod with it. Make sure the prosciutto is really thin.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

In Barcelona you can buy little paper cones of ham with crunchy breadsticks to eat while you’re walking down the street so I would say cut the ham into cubes and put it in a paper cone with crunchy breadsticks

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You should really just put it on some white bread with a slice of american cheese and some mayo and call it a day.

I joke, but I bet some Jamon ham on two slices of Dave's with some Kerry Gold Dubliner and some Kewpie mayo would be the best sandwich we've ever had. Which speaks to what we all love about Costco: You can buy some really artisanal, gourmet poo poo at great prices. You may have to buy a pound of it at once, but it's not marked up like crazy. It usually costs 300% as much at Whole Foods because they sell it in 12oz jars or whatever. A 12oz jar is definitely more convenient but i'll find something to do with 3lbs of cheese.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ShowTime posted:

You should really just put it on some white bread with a slice of american cheese and some mayo and call it a day.

I joke, but I bet some Jamon ham on two slices of Dave's with some Kerry Gold Dubliner and some Kewpie mayo would be the best sandwich we've ever had. Which speaks to what we all love about Costco: You can buy some really artisanal, gourmet poo poo at great prices. You may have to buy a pound of it at once, but it's not marked up like crazy. It usually costs 300% as much at Whole Foods because they sell it in 12oz jars or whatever. A 12oz jar is definitely more convenient but i'll find something to do with 3lbs of cheese.

The enormous quantity is not always desirable. I bought some fancy mayonnaise that separated before I even opened it - had to throw away the entire giant jar. (I tried to re-emulsify it but it was futile)

But yes, in general I agree. If it’s shelf-stable or frozen the size doesn’t matter as much. I went through an entire flat pack of canned organic mushrooms in like a month because it was so convenient to throw them in to a bunch of stuff I made.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A tale of two Costcos

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Picked up some smart switches and plugs that were on sale.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

ah gently caress I forgot to grab a bunch of basil at the asian supermarket!

that's one thing costco is missing. gimmie like a pound of basil

Honestly I would like to make my own drat pesto, but buying enough basil or even growing your own is tough as hell.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought 3 of these LED shop lights for my garage, they're really nice.
https://www.costco.com/koda-46%22-led-linkable-shop-light-with-motion-sensor-and-remote.product.100658326.html

They're super bright (4600 lumens), they have a remote and they have motion sensors that can turn on when you walk by. You can link up to 6 of them as well and use a single plug.

They're pretty light and there's a lot of plastic but at only $20 they're a steal.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FCKGW posted:

I just bought 3 of these LED shop lights for my garage, they're really nice.
https://www.costco.com/koda-46%22-led-linkable-shop-light-with-motion-sensor-and-remote.product.100658326.html

They're super bright (4600 lumens), they have a remote and they have motion sensors that can turn on when you walk by. You can link up to 6 of them as well and use a single plug.

They're pretty light and there's a lot of plastic but at only $20 they're a steal.

They are very nice at $20 and for the right location they're great. I put one in the basement, so there is a light for the cats when they use the box. I had to put it on the smallest sensor zone or it turned on all the time. Maybe from the flexing of the joists it's mounted to? Without a doubt it was the easiest shop light I've ever solid mounted. It has little clips that go on very easily. The Feit lights I bought for the garage require precise locating and if the ceiling isn't flat it doesn't work well.

I'd like a bunch more, but I don't need the remote and sensor stuff. I'd buy the same without that for $20 honestly. I have seven of the Feit lights in the garage and I'd like to mount 4-6 more. I'm considering these but they go on sale often enough I'll see what the next generation brings.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

cynic posted:

Honestly I would like to make my own drat pesto, but buying enough basil or even growing your own is tough as hell.

It's not hard to grow honestly. It grows like a weed in the summer. I usually put 3 plants in a pot in the spring and within three weeks I have more bail than I know what to do with. Cut it all back for lots of pesto, and a week later it looks like you never touched it.

And I loving suck at growing anything. I always forget to water my plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ShowTime posted:

I joke, but I bet some Jamon ham on two slices of Dave's with some Kerry Gold Dubliner and some Kewpie mayo would be the best sandwich we've ever had.

Bocadillos is basically that, just without the nasty rear end mayo. It's a classic way of eating jamon in Spain.