Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fluoride Jones posted:

[FADE IN]

indy moves through the rafters of the coca cola factory. From them he can see several workers in the ground, immobile. Dead or merely unconscious? Indy isn't sure, nor does it make much of a difference right now. The real problem is who's moving on the floor. Chinese red army soldiers shout orders and responses at each other in mandarin. There's a sound of several coke bottles being opened at once. What follows next is horrible. They begin pouring some, but crucially not all, of the soda from the bottles. Then we hear the unzipping of flies and the bottles are filled again with Chinese urine. The Chinese soldiers place the now tainted cokes back on to the assembly line to be capped and distributed to the unsuspecting consumers of America. As they reach for another dozen or so of untouched colas Indy grand his whip

Did You Know?

TRIVIA

The burgeoning technological field of 'deepfaking' was advanced substantially when the filmmakers, under time constraints, pioneered cutting-edge techniques to change the race of the antagonists from ethnic Russians to ethnic Chinese, as well as all uniforms and displayed national flags, when the film was already deep into post-production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mysterious frankie posted:

There is no way he’s not showing up long enough to get murdered (ideally by Adam Driver. I find the idea of Adam Driver murdering all of Ford’s iconic characters, freeing him from endless geek recursion, pleasing), forcing us to accept that Shia LaBeouf is the best the present can offer us.

He may also get actually killed on set, because he is old and brittle and things really like crushing him, but I can’t imagine he definitely only agreed to this because he was promised a fake death.

err, about that...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Egg Moron posted:

I hope this new Indiana Jones is racist as hell

It's what made temple of doom really sizzle

Gonna be a pro China story about Indy contending with the savages of Tibet.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mr Hootington posted:

I know a lot of people are down on Marvel movies, but I'm excited for the Fantastic Four and hope it is good. I just was them going up against Mole man, frightful four,, psycho man,, annihilus, namor, doom, or galatcus and the movie being good.

There have been three Fantastic Four movie attempts (not counting the Silver Surfer sequel to the second attempt) and they are varying degrees of terrible. What makes Attempt #4 special?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mysterious frankie posted:

Gonna be a pro China story about Indy contending with the savages of Tibet.

Indy finds an ancient Chinese map with the nine dash line on it in a tomb in the deserts of Xinjiang, Uighur terrorists attempt to stop him from from sharing the truth with the world.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Landlords. I hate these guys."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

DesertIslandHermit posted:

There have been three Fantastic Four movie attempts (not counting the Silver Surfer sequel to the second attempt) and they are varying degrees of terrible. What makes Attempt #4 special?

the fantastic 4th attempt at getting this franchise off the ground

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its cool when john wick kills people

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

its cool when john wick kills people

Oh wow totally unexpected to see more unironic death threats in CSPAM!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

err, about that...

not really seeing how this is a contradiction

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
yeah you’re right, among the Jones family, just as in some families, proclivity to domestic violence skips a generation

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I watched Antrum on Prime. It was pretty good! Low budget fake cursed film from the 70s inside a fake documentary. Excellent hauntological soundtrack and a couple unsettling moments. Not perfect, but enjoyable.

I am currently watching In Bright Axiom. It’s pretty insufferable! It’s a documentary about a Bay Area art school cult started by a trust fund kid.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I'm watching the hidden fortress for the first time and the shot compositions are kicking my rear end

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1337995315887009792

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

"Trading places" "just friends" what the gently caress

E: oh trading places is the movie with akroyd and murphy. Haven't seen it, bet it's hilarious

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Atrocious Joe posted:

remember when the Canadian band Viet Cong changed their name because it was offensive that they'd use the name of a terrorist group that caused people pain and trauma.

https://www.vulture.com/2016/04/band-viet-cong-finally-changed-their-name.html

What the gently caress, this can't be real.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I thought you stopped being a terrorist group if you won

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

MonsieurChoc posted:

What the gently caress, this can't be real.

It is. They go by the name Preoccupations now.

Their album was self titled at the time, but it is still called Vietcong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" last night and while the murder mystery part was interesting enough, the two protagonists sleeping together came out of left field so hard that I couldn't help but think that it was an author self-insert.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" last night and while the murder mystery part was interesting enough, the two protagonists sleeping together came out of left field so hard that I couldn't help but think that it was an author self-insert.

Lisbeth is nerd bait.

A goth bisexual hacker? It's like she is 4chan bait.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

How the gently caress is gremlins not a christmas movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Forceholy posted:

Lisbeth is nerd bait.

A goth bisexual hacker? It's like she is 4chan bait.

She's 100% the author's waifu

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

blomkvist is absolutely larson's self-insert (hyper-competent investigative journalist who is widely admired and dudes are cool with and actively encourage him to sleep with their wives)

i think he created lisbeth based on a rape victim he either knew or heard about, so having his literary counterpart sleep with her out of nowhere and then develop an obsession for him is weird

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

God Hole posted:

blomkvist is absolutely larson's self-insert (hyper-competent investigative journalist who is widely admired and dudes are cool with and actively encourage him to sleep with their wives)

i think he created lisbeth based on a rape victim he either knew or heard about, so having his literary counterpart sleep with her out of nowhere and then develop an obsession for him is weird

The book of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is awful pandering crap (Blomkvist is a Mary Sue, Lisbeth is nerd bait, the mystery is fricking transparent) but surprisingly readable. It's like a perfect airport lounge book, of equal dumbness to The Da Vinci Code or many Ludlum or Cussler novels.

The movies, however, by rendering it all to screen bring the stupidity to the fore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I read the three body problem and man it's bad. Readable, it doles out its absurd plot well, but it's like ready player one for cybernetics majors. Are the sequels better?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wtf

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

sebmojo posted:

I read the three body problem and man it's bad. Readable, it doles out its absurd plot well, but it's like ready player one for cybernetics majors. Are the sequels better?

lol wtf

yea don't bother with the others, you won't enjoy them either

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Watching enemy of the state for the first time since the 90s and crack ping
https://youtu.be/zvLf2gqSJ98

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Enemy of the State was a documentary

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Les Os posted:

this is the type of stuff dude is usually known for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

That's a reference to an actual thing, an la mansion of tiktok people

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Watching enemy of the state for the first time since the 90s and crack ping
https://youtu.be/zvLf2gqSJ98

I remember my older cousin watching it in theatres and telling me "it was just too futuristic for me"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
John le Carré just died.

His first book that was popular sold tons of copies and made him famous because people read it as a fun cool heroic spy adventure. This pissed him off because he didn't think spies in real life were smart or cool and he hadn't tried to write them that way. He thought people were missing the point, which they were.

For his next book he made up a whole new spy agency that was way more explicitly stupid and destructive. He threw all the subtlety out the window and went whole hog on the message of "spies are bad, actually". It's a cold and depressing and brutal novel.

People haaaaated it.

So after that he just gave up and wrote what people wanted to read.

In conclusion, John le Carré tried his best but people are just too loving stupid.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, it's largely a very standard bit of SF: interesting premise, the cultural Revolution parts are good, but the characters are flat, there's a lot of talking heads and the science is pretty dei ex machina. I blamed a lot of this on the translation but who knows.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

John le Carré just died.

His first book that was popular sold tons of copies and made him famous because people read it as a fun cool heroic spy adventure. This pissed him off because he didn't think spies in real life were smart or cool and he hadn't tried to write them that way. He thought people were missing the point, which they were.

For his next book he made up a whole new spy agency that was way more explicitly stupid and destructive. He threw all the subtlety out the window and went whole hog on the message of "spies are bad, actually". It's a cold and depressing and brutal novel.

People haaaaated it.

So after that he just gave up and wrote what people wanted to read.

In conclusion, John le Carré tried his best but people are just too loving stupid.

https://twitter.com/n_j_dames/status/1338253395434598401?s=20
rip

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Watching the Larry Sanders Show for the first time. It is very good. The weirdest thing is Garry Shandling is 42 when this show premiered. He looks over 50

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i watched 2013's Riddick and it was pretty good in a very stupid way. completely identical to the two other riddick movies. i hope vin diesel continues to make movies where his mary sue guy pwns extremely stupid space career criminals forever

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Oh look he said it way better than I could have

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Farm Frenzy posted:

i watched 2013's Riddick and it was pretty good in a very stupid way. completely identical to the two other riddick movies. i hope vin diesel continues to make movies where his mary sue guy pwns extremely stupid space career criminals forever

YEAH MAN

I watched all the movies fairly recently and I just love how loving raw dumb that poo poo is

no loving surprises no loving nuance just straight in your face monster energy drink of a film series

the chronicles or riddick is so loving funny. I love how the bad guys are bad because they want everyone to be dead. I love how I love that Riddick just becomes the king of the bad guys at the end I love it

I love how in Pitch Black there was a novelty color filter thing going on that had decent enough justification i the story "the light here looks hosed up because of blah blah in the atmosphere or the color of the sun or some poo poo" sure! and then in every other film there is also a near constant use of color filters just for the gently caress of it

i just love these stupid films and I am eagerly awaiting the furion movie or whatever it is going to be called so we can finally get some context for what the gently caress it means to be a furion, which seems like a big loving deal

in short

https://i.imgur.com/jvCrchH.mp4

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

also the Riddick game for xbox was really good

escape from butchers bay or botany bay (no that is star trek) or some such bay

it was fun, heralded nearly universally as a rare decent IP game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
if nothing else, riddick rules for giving us one of the greatest posts on these fine forums.