Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Released in 1998 for the Nintendo 64, Ocarina of Time is widely considered one of the best games on the platform, one of the best Zelda games, and one of the best games, period. I like this game quite a bit myself, and have played it so much that even a three heart challenge is fairly simple.

In this Let's Play, I'll be playing through all of Ocarina of Time with the following restrictions: three hearts, no shield, no bottle use, no Lens of Truth, and using the Broken Giant's Knife as my primary weapon. The Broken Giant's Knife is effectively a two-handed Kokiri Sword for adult Link. Obviously, any point where shields or bottles are required to progress the story are fair game.

There are also a few other stipulations to the run. For example: I'm not going to stand across the room and pick every enemy off with the bow even though it isn't strictly forbidden, because that defeats the purpose of the Broken Giant's Knife rule. I'll also be introducing some fun extra gimmicks for certain dungeons as we get to them.

I'm playing the Wii U Virtual Console version of the game, which is based on the final N64 revision, albeit with the Gerudo symbol from the Gamecube release. Joining me for this LP are my pals Jesse and Morgan.

Part 01: Kokiri Forest
Part 02: Deku Tree
Part 03: Hyrule Castle
Part 04: Dodongo's Cavern
Part 05: Zora's Domain
Part 06: Jabu Jabu's Belly
Part 07: The Ultimate Weapon
Part 08: Forest Temple
Part 09: Poe the Ghost
Part 10: Fire Temple
Part 11: Ice Cavern
Part 12: Water Temple
Part 13: Bottom of the Well
Part 14: Shadow Temple
Part 15: Gerudo Valley
Part 16: Spirit Temple
Part 17: Ganon's Castle
Part 18: No Regrets

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm glad to see that this run is going to consist of plenty of Link just loving off and ignoring people who want to get his attention.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 03: Hyrule Castle

I put all the most boring parts of the run in a single video.

Wind Waker 4-Koma
The King of Hyrule is a Jerk

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

We technically set up a part of the full run in this video, I guess.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 05: Zora's Domain

I hate this game because of the owl. I hate him with my life. He does not leave the Hero of Time alone.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Hamsterlady posted:

I hate this game because of the owl. I hate him with my life. He does not leave the Hero of Time alone.

Sorry I couldn't hear you over the constant "Mweeps" that have suddenly come into my head for some mysterious reason

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Hamsterlady posted:

We technically set up a part of the full run in this video, I guess.

Your sniping skill is unmatched.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 06: Jabu Jabu's Belly

I don't know anyone who likes this dungeon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A fun story about Z-targeting. It came about because the OOT devs went to watch a Ninja show and saw a Ninja circle an opponent after throwing a kusarigama at them.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I believe the cut dungeon in the temple of time got repurposed into the Twilight Princess Temple of time eventually.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So this is a thing that just happened

https://n64today.com/2020/07/25/banjo-kazooie-jiggies-of-time/

Looking forward to the rest of this. I forgot just how pathetic the broken knife's range was.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Oh don't worry. I've downloaded that mod and am working out plans to stream it. It's the perfect intersection of my two video LPs so I kind of have to.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hamsterlady posted:

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear

The Heaaaart of Sabik

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The game is actually hard now.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I don't think Grunty "sidelined" Gannondorf so much as Gannondorf said, "you know what? I'm sick of getting the crap beaten out of me by a kid every few hundred years. You think it's so easy Grunty, then you take a turn!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hamsterlady posted:

The game is actually hard now.

They didnt fundamentally change anything in the water temple is a lie. Just making the boots toggle on/off as an item rather than hitting the equipment screen everytime you needed to go up/down was HUGE.

E: I dont think it has the winged skulls of hilarity in either version though.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 8, 2020

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 09: Poe the Ghost

You defeated Poe the ghost!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Lowtax is gone and suddenly I'm not so burnt out on my LP threads anymore. Weird coincidence.

Part 10: Fire Temple

Hey, you guys ever heard of Bubble Bobble?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 11: Ice Cavern

I will kill every keese and you can't stop me.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 12: Water Temple

Tektites.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 13: Bottom of the Well

Warning: The episode you're about to view is non-canon.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 14: Shadow Temple

We can't tear down the Shadow Temple, we may forget Hyrule's bloody history

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I know from watching randomizers and other runs in which people get to the Shadow Temple boss key room without Din's Fire that if those blatantly-falling-apart wooden spiked things manage to crush you, you lose a bit of life and the room resets. Just like falling into a pit, really.

As to how Bongo Bongo fits into the "torture" theme: According to certain theories I've read online, he's the ghost of one of the victims.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

the two main enemies of the Royal Family: the King of the Gerudos, and bongo drummers.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 15: Gerudo Valley

What if we made a terrible maze and put the same boss fight in it four separate times

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Unlike a normal playthrough, we actually feel stronger during the child portion of this dungeon.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
First Jonny Depp, then Lowtax, then Shia Lebouf, now Link?!!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

We lower the barrier and use a roundabout method to throw our Mirror Shield directly into the trash.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Hamsterlady posted:

Unlike a normal playthrough, we actually feel stronger during the child portion of this dungeon.

Rather than equip the master sword for the bit with the switch behind bars, the obvious answer would be to go back, buy a new giant's knife, return to the dungeon, hit the switch, and re-break the knife.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
If a jump attack didn't work, that's probably the solution I would have come to.

Or putting down a bomb. One or the other.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hamsterlady posted:

We lower the barrier and use a roundabout method to throw our Mirror Shield directly into the trash.

Okay what if you released the adult part 7 years later but also made sure that you released the Bottom of the Well / Spirit Temple with no context as well.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Okay what if you released the adult part 7 years later but also made sure that you released the Bottom of the Well / Spirit Temple with no context as well.
That's more a Grey Hunter thing. He's the guy who's on his fourth real-time LP of War in the Pacific.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Part 18: No Regrets

Nobody told me there was a better sword in this game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Is it really a victory if you don't parry Ganon's attacks with by attacking with the knife at the perfect time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

idk if there's any actual hard evidence, but I always thought Iron Knuckles were women. The only "named" one we see was Nabooru, they only defend Gerudo areas (Spirit Temple and the tower of Ganondorf, King of the Gerudos) & therefore are probably Gerudos themselves, and as such that means they have to be women.