Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People here keep telling me it's good but I've never made it past the intro despite trying three times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, the first actual mission I recall being solid enough. HR and MD's strengths are when they're off doing their own thing, especially aesthetically. They're at their weakest when they're trying to fumble a plot/ending, and anything to do with console-itis/takedowns.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how interesting/fun a zero-takedown run would be, hrm.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Restarted Deus Ex :cheers:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dance Officer posted:

Is this the thread where I complain about Mankind Divided? Because I just started playing it for the first time and the control are... not good. Also serious case of "where the gently caress am I supposed to go" syndrome.

It's a really good game

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Im just one idiot but I enjoyed HR (start-finished it 3x and played specific scenes more than that) lot more than MD (never got out of Prague).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Im just one idiot but I enjoyed HR (start-finished it 3x and played specific scenes more than that) lot more than MD (never got out of Prague).

:same:

Also it didn't help that reading text on my tv was awful. I mean it's Deus Ex you goobers allow for an increased text size for letters and also dialogue!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MazelTovCocktail posted:

:same:

Also it didn't help that reading text on my tv was awful. I mean it's Deus Ex you goobers allow for an increased text size for letters and also dialogue!

You're sitting too far away from your TV if you have trouble reading text. Probably have it mounted way up on the wall as well.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I do my best most of my video gaming with one eye closed and dangerously leaning in my chair.

E: Hey Eliza

Eliza!

HEY ELIZAAAAA

you’re p hot *hic* for a computer

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 12, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fame Douglas posted:

You're sitting too far away from your TV if you have trouble reading text. Probably have it mounted way up on the wall as well.

Well this was 2017, but I suspect as much. I found playing it via PS remote helped.

But at the same time: I bought it on console so I could sit on my couch!

Honestly I just think in game text scaling should be a requirement. Although I appreciate Kojima adding it as a patch for Death Stranding. That game I heard from numerous people that it was hard to read text...even after the patch.

Honestly I should learn how to use the accessibility tools like magnifier.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Like I said, playing again after playing it for the first time earlier this year.

What’s your preferred method of dealing with the terrorists who are holding the hostages in the subway station during the second mission?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Like I said, playing again after playing it for the first time earlier this year.

What’s your preferred method of dealing with the terrorists who are holding the hostages in the subway station during the second mission?

Use the flamer and let God roll the dice.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Use the GEP Gun and let God roll the dice.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As long as you make it through the doors before they die it counts as a win for you

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Gaius Marius posted:

As long as you make it through the doors before they die it counts as a win for you

I think this is what I ended up doing the first time. Ended up in Hell’s Kitchen crawling on my drat knees. But it took probably like an hour of quick saving and trying different techniques until I finally landed on that.

This time I sniped the closest to the subway cars with some darts from the relative safety of the vent shafts and managed to get the hostages and myself in the car with almost no damage. Dudes on the other side of the room didn’t even seem to care.

GEP gun in the room is FUN, but Alex gets so grumpy with you about killing the hostages I can never let it stand.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Entry via the vent hole in the shack, duck out of the vents booping the NSF in the back of the head with the baton and pulling the bodies back in, like a trapdoor spider, then systematically remove all of the boom to be used as lockpicks in the base under Castle Clinton, then triumphantly run through the lasers which now do nothing to surprise the two guys at the top of the stairs from behind

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I use a hefty combination of gas grenades, tranq darts and quickloads. Nobody dies on my watch.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

Entry via the vent hole in the shack, duck out of the vents booping the NSF in the back of the head with the baton and pulling the bodies back in, like a trapdoor spider, then systematically remove all of the boom to be used as lockpicks in the base under Castle Clinton, then triumphantly run through the lasers which now do nothing to surprise the two guys at the top of the stairs from behind

Pull the two troops at the top of the stairs, then peek down and tranq dart the rest, who will all fall down in a head-to-toe line along the subway platform. Sneak down the vent and pile up all the TNT in there. Walk through the lasers to blow it as the blast clips level geometry and harms no one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you use the vent you can sneak up behind the hostages and get them into the train without alerting the guards at all. And then bop the nsf guys because I don't want the evil unatco agents to kill them

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

site posted:

If you use the vent you can sneak up behind the hostages and get them into the train without alerting the guards at all. And then bop the nsf guys because I don't want the evil unatco agents to kill them

Hmm in my playthroughs there’s always been a couple guards camped by the hostages who seem to not move. Do you make noise to try to get them away?

Also, been loving everyone’s answers. Lots of fun and creative solutions, and it’s literally for one minuscule part of the game. This game is the freaking best!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You can just click on the hostages and the guards don't notice

site fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 12, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
By using the rear most vent you can free the hostages and leave right away, the NSF won’t even notice.
E;fb

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

By using the rear most vent you can free the hostages and leave right away, the NSF won’t even notice.
E;fb

If nothing else Deus Ex established that if you don't put vents in your game, you're doing rookie tier designing.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah I’ve used the rear vent technique before but like I said, at least one guard has always noticed me

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
You can also carry one of the boxes down,put in the laser and jump over the beam, they do not make it go off.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I always found the 'Ton Hostage Rescue far more difficult than the Subway one, and I don't know why.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SkySteak posted:

I always found the 'Ton Hostage Rescue far more difficult than the Subway one, and I don't know why.

Very much :same:

I think more goes into it, like what gun you give what’s his face and how you treat the pimp, and the fact I forgot both those names means it’s time for another DX playthrough.

Also hot drat, a first time poster in this thread when it’s been kicking around for ten years!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Very much :same:

I think more goes into it, like what gun you give what’s his face and how you treat the pimp, and the fact I forgot both those names means it’s time for another DX playthrough.

Also hot drat, a first time poster in this thread when it’s been kicking around for ten years!
JoJo Fine and What a shame Mr Renton.

Huh. Turns out I last played DE in 2019. Couldn't have been a full playthrough.

Ah! Reviewing the thread, I gave Malkavian Mod a brief try.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
What's really difficult in New York is subduing the park fight and successfully knocking out all combatants before anyone gets killed. Ask me how I know.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Butterfly Valley posted:

What's really difficult in New York is subduing the park fight and successfully knocking out all combatants before anyone gets killed. Ask me how I know.

Sam Carter would be proud of you.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Butterfly Valley posted:

See, I just did this easily! Just roll up on the dudes and prod em real quick.

And while I’m a first-time poster, I already beat the game once earlier this year!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Butterfly Valley posted:

gas grenadin' and then going out in a blaze of stun prod hits and a final baton stand for my "no good guys die plz :(" runs

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SkySteak posted:

Just did this mission the other day and found it easier to just go in thru Paul’s window and use my sniper rifle while crouched on the upper floor to take care of the two goons, then hop over the railing and take out the leader in the downstairs receptionist booth the same way. They’re all far enough apart that they don’t bat an eyelid when firing a high caliber rifle without a silencer.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

See, I just did this easily! Just roll up on the dudes and prod em real quick.

And while I’m a first-time poster, I already beat the game once earlier this year!

:respek:

I was on realism, which made it quite tough. I also did it again a few weeks ago when I reached that part on GMDX and it felt even tougher because they can drop each other really quickly and tend to tank gas grenades and run around being shot or shooting a lot more.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's helpful to remember Paul's words "Remember we're police". So I shot them all and dropped guns on their bodies, one more case wrapped up.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Should have gone the whole hog and dropped some zyme too

Edit: heh at the unintentionally appropriate pun

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For some reason the hardest thing to me has always been getting jojo before he kills whatshername. If you do it too early everyone gets mad, if you do it too late jojo kills her, if you don't peel him off before the dad kills him the girl gets pissed and ends up homeless at that gas station way later in the game, and if you're on realistic this all happens within seconds :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Her managing to hitchhike across the entire US in a few day's only to end up at the site of another hostage situation involving denton is hilarious

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
And still more believable than that "shirt" she's wearing

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Butterfly Valley posted:

How do you know?

It was the polite thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

site posted:

For some reason the hardest thing to me has always been getting jojo before he kills whatshername. If you do it too early everyone gets mad, if you do it too late jojo kills her, if you don't peel him off before the dad kills him the girl gets pissed and ends up homeless at that gas station way later in the game, and if you're on realistic this all happens within seconds :(

but she hooks you up at the gas station so it's actually good