Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hey! I found a real wizard staff!

Real Wizard / Witch Staff | Real Quartz | Hand Made With ZERO GLUE | Entire tree and root system used | RARE Custom Made Staff

It's only $599.97. That's after a savings of $399.98 which of course is the standard price of a real wizard staff.

im the dirt still in the roots of a 600 dollar item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yooper posted:

Isn't there a store like 30 miles up the Appalachian Trail that displays all the dumb poo poo people drop off? I can only imagine a few wooden hiking sticks in the mix.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.734...10?source=apiv3

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Amused, I wanted to see if they still made them and indeed the Boy Sprouts still have their chunk of wood hiking staffs. These things used to be indestructible and you didn't mind carving on them for 6bux: https://www.scoutshop.org/hiking-staff-1443.html

Full round moulding runs around $10 for 8ft at the hardware store. Leather grip would presumably add a bit.

Definitely depends on the intended use, if they're going to be sitting next to a fire whittling it, dropping it in a stream and losing it in the first month, etc.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

Internet Wizard posted:

This might seem obvious, but since I’ve never seen or heard of these issues despite loving Prana and spending a couple seasons working at REI, here goes

Are you sure these variations aren’t because of the (very poorly marked and often intermixed) differences between regular and slim cuts?

They're all the same pant, same size.

Have a look at Prana's own website. You can see clear differences between the different colors:

https://www.prana.com/p/stretch-zion-pant/M4ST99116.html?dwvar_M4ST99116_color=Charcoal&pos=4

I was holding the same color, same size pants in the store with clear differences between them.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Gripweed posted:

This is for a gift. I want it to look nice, not like I made it out of garbage.

So I don't know the particulars, so if this comment doesn't apply then just ignore me, but if you're buying this for a person who's a dedicated hiker then they probably already have their own lightweight collapsible hiking poles. If I got a wooden walking staff I'd be posting in the Silly Gear thread. Not to poo poo all over your gift idea.
But on the other hand maybe it's for a grandpa who goes for walks on a forest path or something, in which case, like I say, ignore me.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

stratdax posted:

So I don't know the particulars, so if this comment doesn't apply then just ignore me, but if you're buying this for a person who's a dedicated hiker then they probably already have their own lightweight collapsible hiking poles. If I got a wooden walking staff I'd be posting in the Silly Gear thread. Not to poo poo all over your gift idea.
But on the other hand maybe it's for a grandpa who goes for walks on a forest path or something, in which case, like I say, ignore me.

Could also be for a person who has expressed that they'd like a wooden staff! I've used collapsible carbon poles, and they really are awesome, but I also like the sturdiness of the wooden staff for levering my goony rear end up the places where the trail suddenly becomes a rock face (not uncommon in NM). On the other hand I think I'd be laughed off most Serious Backpacking Sites for suggesting anyone consider such a thing, so if the recipient is a Serious Backpacker...

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

stratdax posted:

lol it literally is for a grandpa who goes on walks. He's been having some balance problems lately, but I think he wouldn't be too keen on a cane because that's for old people. He's a massive Lord of the Rings fan and his favorite TV show is Kung Fu, so I think he'd go for a staff. Staffs are cool, and using one is a conscious affectation. But using a cane just means you need a cane.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

lol it literally is for a grandpa who goes on walks. He's been having some balance problems lately, but I think he wouldn't be too keen on a cane because that's for old people. He's a massive Lord of the Rings fan and his favorite TV show is Kung Fu, so I think he'd go for a staff. Staffs are cool, and using one is a conscious affectation. But using a cane just means you need a cane.

That really cool man, rock on. I'm now picturing Grandpa Gandalf smoking a massive pipe and chilling with the birds.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think that's Radagast you're picturing.
:goonsay:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pham Nuwen posted:

Could also be for a person who has expressed that they'd like a wooden staff! I've used collapsible carbon poles, and they really are awesome, but I also like the sturdiness of the wooden staff for levering my goony rear end up the places where the trail suddenly becomes a rock face (not uncommon in NM). On the other hand I think I'd be laughed off most Serious Backpacking Sites for suggesting anyone consider such a thing, so if the recipient is a Serious Backpacker...

There are 2 groups of people that i see using wood staves on the trail. 1 is Dad's with the kiddos out for a day hike, and the other is clearly veteran hikers that are using them out of preference. The whole point of ultralight poo poo is to reduce your carried weight so that hiking is more fun and less strenuous. Then adding in things that you enjoy is the whole point. Those brazos one look nice as hell and I made a note of them cause those look great for dayhikes or a more even terrained backpacking trip.

As for levering oneself up, I dragged my fat rear end through a 7 day Glacier trip a couple summers ago and I never once felt the collapsible poles were not trustworthy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You ain't lived until you use a staff to do an awkward pole vault over a stream because you don't wanna get your socks wet. Can't do that with a hiking pole, whippersnapper. :smug:

(we'll just ignore that the whippersnapper probably has trail runners that dry out in 0.69 seconds and they don't care if their feet get a little water)

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Last Sunday I set out to do one of the ultra prominent peaks in Utah, Flat Top Mountain.

Looking west at another ultra prominent peak, Deseret Peak

Somewhere towards the southwest is another ultra prominent peak, Ibapah Peak

Yet another ultra prominent peak, Mt Nebo

Still another, Mt Timpanogos

And this cool tree

Just under 6 miles one way with 4200 feet of climbing. Had a couple areas where the snow was knee deep. Was surprisingly warm, only needed two layers most of the day

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A couple weekends ago I went car camping and spent the 25 degree night in a cheap Walmart tent, which got real frosty on the inside walls. (I was fine, but had to wear my heavy coat while in my down sleeping bag.) Does a rain fly help much with preventing frost?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

A double layer tent will definitely help with condensation but its inevitable to a certain extent.

In winter tent camping I often bring a small UCO candle lantern to help with condensation just a bit as well as for reading light. Might try that. Otherwise make sure you have some decent ventilation in your tent.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

A couple weekends ago I went car camping and spent the 25 degree night in a cheap Walmart tent, which got real frosty on the inside walls. (I was fine, but had to wear my heavy coat while in my down sleeping bag.) Does a rain fly help much with preventing frost?

The frost is coming from you. Your breath is warm moist air and when the temps inside your tent get below freezing, that moist air condenses on your tent walls which turns to frost. A rainfly doesn't really do much to help in that scenario. Ventilation can help but in sub freezing temps, you likely dont want it to be too breezy inside your tent. Some people use a waterproof "blanket" to put on top of their sleeping bag to prevent it from getting frosty/icy/wet. This can be a waterproof jacket or a simple sheet of plastic. Others have waterproof sleeping bags. Thats one of the more difficult things with winter camping is managing that stuff. You also don't want snow to blow inside your tent vents at night so keep an eye on the weather if you decide to air your tent out.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Some condensation/frost is inevitable, but you can reduce how much of it makes you miserable. I would definitely recommend putting the rain fly on.

If you plan on winter camping, a “mummy”-style sleeping bag is highly recommended. Wear a hat if you need to, but leave your face outside of the sleeping bag. It’s very tempting to seal yourself in where it’s warm, but the moisture from your breath will make you cold and wet by morning.

Put your boots/shoes underneath the foot of your sleeping bag so they have some insulation from the cold air.

Stuff tomorrow’s clothing into the sleeping bag with you, so you’re not putting on ice-cold pants in the morning.

Never, ever sleep in wet socks. Or any wet clothing. Jeans do not dry quickly.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

all the parks near me burned up and are closed, havent slept outside in months and im fiending

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

nice spot for lunch today at least

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gripweed posted:

Master Po Greyhame. :clint:

My staff didn't make the journey with me when I moved but I rarely use poles so having them be collapsible and stored on the pack is convenient. Hiking sticks require a lot of attention and hand switching, particularly if you're also using your hands for climbing up/down rocks. It would be nice if you could drop them and recover them from 100ft away by sticking out your hand and using The Force.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Luneshot posted:

Never, ever sleep in wet socks. Or any wet clothing. Jeans do not dry quickly.

Yes, otherwise you end up like this foolish redditor

https://littlethings.com/lifestyle/severe-frostbite-amputation

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

All this chat about the big wooden hiking staff sort of makes me want to try one...

Going to try and find a good piece of oak or something outside to give it a test run. I usually hike with poles, but I could see the appeal of a hiking stick every once in a while.

Looks like that Brazos place sells shepherds hooks too!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Bic National Park, Quebec

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Southeast Wisconsin kinda sucks regarding terrain. It's flat and either prairies or forests so it's not very picturesque. I went hiking on the John Muir Trail System a few days ago in Kettle Moraine South. It was a 5.38 mile trail listed as "hard" but it was really easy. Maybe it's relative to the other trails. My first time hiking in below freezing weather. It sucked at first but wasn't too bad after I got going.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
If the terrain is flat, at least you can get into the woods where you can see wildlife. Don't get me wrong, I love being in the mountains etc but I grew up in Michigan so just walking through the woods is a good way to spend some time. Plus if you're freezing your balls off, that means it's the time of year you won't get bit by mosquitos .

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Verman posted:

If the terrain is flat, at least you can get into the woods where you can see wildlife. Don't get me wrong, I love being in the mountains etc but I grew up in Michigan so just walking through the woods is a good way to spend some time. Plus if you're freezing your balls off, that means it's the time of year you won't get bit by mosquitos .

Oh absolutely. I've never gone cold weather hiking before and there certainly are some pros to it. Although I didn't see a single bit of wildlife for the 2 hours I was out there. Not even a bird.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh absolutely. I've never gone cold weather hiking before and there certainly are some pros to it. Although I didn't see a single bit of wildlife for the 2 hours I was out there. Not even a bird.

Depending on where you're at, it could be coming of deer season and all the animals are likely spooked. A good winter hike can be really nice though, when the snow falls everything gets much quieter.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Math You posted:

Bic National Park, Quebec

this picture is making me clench

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen some gorgeous oak stand photography from kettle moraine, included some rolling hills. But I've never actually been there to identify where that might be and the photographer didn't detail it (it was considered a sensitive area).

Googling around there's some well documented oak areas in there too. Strolling through oak savannah is a good time, not much understory so you can basically go wherever you want.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Anyone with firsthand experience on the Wind River High Route with tips to share? Planning a trip for late July next year

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just moved to the San Francisco peninsula. Where can I backpack in & hammock camp overnight nearby? I see a lot of land in the area owned by regional water authorities, and of course there's the Golden Gate national recreation area, but can I dispersed camp in either of those? Are there general rules of thumb for dispersed camping in California?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just moved to the San Francisco peninsula. Where can I backpack in & hammock camp overnight nearby? I see a lot of land in the area owned by regional water authorities, and of course there's the Golden Gate national recreation area, but can I dispersed camp in either of those? Are there general rules of thumb for dispersed camping in California?

There is no dispersed camping nearby. Probably national forest in the Sierra/foothills is the closest for that?

The Bay Area is loving crowded, make backpacking reservations as early as you can if you want to go anywhere even slightly popular.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was gonna suggest something but realized you said dispersed. Probably gonna have to do a bit of driving for that, or sneak into one of the parks like Arastradero or Foothills Park.

Or do like that one goon did when he tried to walk across the US and camped in Golden Gate Park before giving up

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 30, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

For hiking and backpacking in the Bay Area, Henry Coe State Park is a vast hilly area accessible from Morgan Hill and other entrances. It's mostly closed due to the pandemic but it's a nice area for backcountry camping. California state parks are charging usurious entrance and parking fees these days, but still worth the excursion.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

Or do like that one goon did when he tried to walk across the US and camped in Golden Gate Park before giving up

Thank you for reminding me of this

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this

Does anyone have a link? Sounds hilarious.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Senf posted:

Does anyone have a link? Sounds hilarious.

The thread starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hotel Kpro posted:

I was gonna suggest something but realized you said dispersed. Probably gonna have to do a bit of driving for that, or sneak into one of the parks like Arastradero or Foothills Park.

Hey by all means suggest stuff! I'm not opposed to established campsites, and since it's "winter" maybe there will be better availability. I was just thinking of dispersed because it doesn't take as much planning (reservations).

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

For hiking and backpacking in the Bay Area, Henry Coe State Park is a vast hilly area accessible from Morgan Hill and other entrances. It's mostly closed due to the pandemic but it's a nice area for backcountry camping. California state parks are charging usurious entrance and parking fees these days, but still worth the excursion.

Henry Coe is nice and close, so I'll definitely give that a shot... although I might wait until they open things back up, since the currently-open areas are very small and surely packed due to COVID.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Thank you. Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Senf posted:

Thank you. Beautiful.

One of the better reads on SA, definitely not uplifting