Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tired: Let’s use a proven game engine that is well optimized and works on every platform known to man.

Wired: Let’s write our own game engine and spend years extra in development along with fixing countless bugs in an effort to not have to pay the licensing fees for a canned game-engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Innovation is good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah you can gently caress it up like ea and force everyone to use 1 bad choice, or you can score like sony and end up with every studio making hits on their own engines that have a lovely basic ps4 doing things that arent possible in an unreal game

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh my god Cyberpunk is just so loving bland and boring. Holy poo poo.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
There is some pretty amazing videos showing Saints Row 3 vs Cyberpunk and GTA vs Cyberpunk.
Cyberpunk is a shell of a game and I don’t understand how people can defend it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah you can gently caress it up like ea and force everyone to use 1 bad choice, or you can score like sony and end up with every studio making hits on their own engines that have a lovely basic ps4 doing things that arent possible in an unreal game

I wonder if we will see a Bethesda RPG on Id Tech 7.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BonoMan posted:

Oh my god Cyberpunk is just so loving bland and boring. Holy poo poo.

I've been watching a streamer play it and it took him a little over 5 hours just to get to the title card. Watching him play through that "prologue" was an absolute slog, but once he made it to the "Cyberpunk 2077" title drop, things got a bit more interesting. Still though, lmao.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

xgalaxy posted:

There is some pretty amazing videos showing Saints Row 3 vs Cyberpunk and GTA vs Cyberpunk.

My favorite is the cop on the steps outside my apartment. He must have been taking the same report for a week straight.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Are the people making GBS threads all over cyberpunk fans of The Witcher? It looks buggy as gently caress and shouldn’t have been released in this state, but I don’t know much about the underlying game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

xgalaxy posted:

Try playing it on PC.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

American McGay posted:

Try playing it on PC.

Graphics have nothing to do with it.
I’m talking about game play mechanics.
I’m talking about open world mechanics.
I’m talking about the games ability to create a convincing world.
I’m talking about emergent behavior.

Cyberpunk is poo poo tier in all of these.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How the gently caress do tires not pop when you shoot them in CP77???

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

xgalaxy posted:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
These were all things they advertised.
It’s fine the game doesn’t have it. But don’t sell people on poo poo you can’t deliver.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
One of the reasons I was originally reluctant to get Game Pass was because I was afraid I would be overwhelmed by the choices and end up not finishing any game. That's kind of what happened. I'm still glad I got it because it introduced me to stuff like Slay the Spire but I'm playing something then getting tired of it and quieting and I HATE that. So I've decided to knuckle down and play the Yakuza series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just let yourself follow the games its ok. Achievements show most people don't finish what they start, be popular

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lammasu posted:

One of the reasons I was originally reluctant to get Game Pass was because I was afraid I would be overwhelmed by the choices and end up not finishing any game. That's kind of what happened. I'm still glad I got it because it introduced me to stuff like Slay the Spire but I'm playing something then getting tired of it and quieting and I HATE that. So I've decided to knuckle down and play the Yakuza series.

One thing I did was make an 'On Deck' group and pin games I want to play through and finish or farm achievements from to it. I only have a handful of games in the group, like 4 or 5; gives a sort of tunnel vision effect, as I don't really browse the Game Pass library unless something new is added that I have an interest in. Once I finish a game, I unpin it.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

Just let yourself follow the games its ok. Achievements show most people don't finish what they start, be popular

I just played Untitled Goose Game because it's leaving Game Pass in a few days. It's only a few hours long and I was shocked when I got the achievement for beating the first level and it said only 17% of gamers got it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, I barely finished the first area of Untitled Goose Game and the prospect of more of that got me to quit basically immediately.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

Know what this does?

It fixes the epilepsy thing and there are a few bugfixes and tweaks particularly on the lower-end consoles (e.g. adjustments to the draw distance and aliasing), although it's still broken all around.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is it not installing updates automatically while asleep or is that how much was left to download when you tried to play?

The patch dropped today and I don't think any of the consoles actually check for updates that frequently. In fact most times I boot up my Xbox if I go into the "updates" section and let it spin for a minute or two there will be like a half-dozen games there that need patching.

PS5 might be a bit better at this (it seems to actually check everything that's installed and not just some sub-list of what you've played recently) but I've still booted up the console at times and it immediately goes "oh, I guess there's an update for this game that came out earlier, I should probably get on that".

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Real hurthling! posted:

Ps3 games dont run on ps4 because ps4 cant emulate a cell processor and sony has not been interested in doing research to make it possible even on the more capable ps5 because they make so much more investing just in new games that break 20 million copies sold
It sucks imo but pc emulation of ps3 is making great progress so gently caress em.
One day they'll need good will and do it along with fixing the 1000 other things they do with their console that pissed me off. But i'll just have to dwi meantimes cause the games keep coming out good
Yeah, and I get that, but specifically what pissed me off was firing up my ps4 when I got it and trying to download the copy of Toejam and Earl that I had purchased to play on the PS4 and finding out it was a no-go. I have spent $0 total in the PSN store since getting my PS4. Between getting Sonic whatever it is and a copy of MLB The Show 15 from goodwill for $5 I have spent $0 on games for my PS4.

I got my series X through the all-access plan so I have game pass ultimate for the next 3 years and I found that I don't have a ton of time to play through stuff so I think at the end of this season I am ratcheting down the amount of fortnite I have been playing and making time for other games. Especially since I can do Remote Play though my ipad from either my Series X or one of my One Ss. I might jump into halo MCC tonight after wifey falls asleep watching garbage tv.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When I got my PS4 I was super excited about the "Playstation Classics" (PS1/PS2 games wrapped in an emulator and rereleased for PS4) games and the future of back compat and rereleases that I paid $15 for Parappa tha Rappa and then Sony promptly released like 20 total games and gave up on the idea.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Okagi was fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

When I got my PS4 I was super excited about the "Playstation Classics" (PS1/PS2 games wrapped in an emulator and rereleased for PS4) games and the future of back compat and rereleases that I paid $15 for Parappa tha Rappa and then Sony promptly released like 20 total games and gave up on the idea.

This is me except Im wasn't willing to pay 15 bucks for a bad version of Parappa the Rappa

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Barudak posted:

This is me except Im wasn't willing to pay 15 bucks for a bad version of Parappa the Rappa

How can parappa be bad?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

otter posted:

How can parappa be bad?

They didn't adjust the timing for the game transitioning from CRT so its all messed up, and as a person who never got super far in that game long ago, it was not a sleepwalk to start with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

They didn't adjust the timing for the game transitioning from CRT so its all messed up, and as a person who never got super far in that game long ago, it was not a sleepwalk to start with.

Its a port of the psp version lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm really upset sony hasn't found a way to bring back gitaroo man. Can't even play my ps2 copy unless I get another ps2, since I wasn't lucky enough to get a fat ps3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Then I've no idea why everyone said the timing was utterly hosed, but it scared me off from buying it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

Still bitter about the Dishonored 2 & Dishonored: Death of the Outsider situation because of this :(

Is this why I found the second game so so much worse than the first. Also ran like poo poo on a relatively good PC at the time

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Barudak posted:

Then I've no idea why everyone said the timing was utterly hosed, but it scared me off from buying it

Kick, punch! It’s all in the mind.

I’m going to try and break out my PlayStation tomorrow and make my kids play parappa.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

American McGay posted:

Yeah the Vita imo did this incredibly well (lol) but at release they had a really good, heavily discounted catalog of PS1 and PSP games, on a much nicer screen with great feeling buttons. I bought all sorts of games with a tiny bit of interest in them because they were like, $3. Then the best PS2 games got Vita ports too so at the time it was a cool little retro machine thing.

Then the PS4 came out and had no back compat with any of that and made a whole big announcement when they released a couple of PS2 games for $15. Then square enix went and just made versions of FF7,8,9 that don't rely on emulators at all (I don't know how they do this exactly) and now you have FF9, a PS1 exclusive and game that still aged incredibly well that people are willing to buy, on gamepass instead of on the PS5 only through back compat.

Lammasu posted:

I have started playing Destiny because "it's on gamepass" even though the actual game is completely free and I feel like I should probably stop

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Barudak posted:

For what it’s worth, I heard the same thing and had the same reaction.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xgalaxy posted:

Nah

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Series X arrived on Friday afternoon and I’ve spent the weekend filling the drive with Gamepass, and fitting in some Cyberpunk between my wife rediscovering Viva Piñata.

It’s my first console purchase since an old PS3, I’m really pleased with it so far. Going to enjoy spending some quality time with it over the Christmas break.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

I don't think the PSP screen has much of a delay either, so it's still hosed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am so loving glad I skipped all of the hype and poo poo around cyberpunk 2077.

Now I can play other games for 6 months until it's patched to be almost functioning and gets the series X patch around this time next year.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Laserface posted:

I am so loving glad I skipped all of the hype and poo poo around cyberpunk 2077.

Now I can play other games for 6 months until it's patched to be almost functioning and gets the series X patch around this time next year.

Definitely the best way to do it, but I am having fun playing it right now still.

I’d probably have a lot more fun once all the bugs are sorted

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair feels like its exactly as off from being a good 2d platformer as Yooka Laylee was from being a good 3d collectathon