Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is Good Girls any good?

I like it, it's danger and fun kind of like Weeds vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Accretionist posted:

Lucifer, Netflix: The 'dumb hottie' of police procedurals. Mains are an actress-turned-detective and the actual, literal Devil (lmao).

My Name Is Earl, Hulu: A ne'er-do-well discover karma, winning the lottery then immediately being hit by a car. He resolves to right every wrong he's ever committed. An '00s network comedy, so, some poorly aged humor.

I love My Name is Earl. Raising Hope was good too.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Watching Supernatural. Towards the end of Season 4 now, enjoying it a lot more than expected. Its a lot more self-aware and meta than I was expecting given what I feel I've seen of the fanbase.

Highlights so far The groundhog day episode with the Trickster, really hoping he comes back once a season or so, any of the meta or self contained episodes, the one where they worked at the office, the one at the school, the jump the shark episode where they get a new brother..

Worst part has been the godawful hidden camera episode ghostfacers or whatever they were called, it felt like a failed spinoff pilot, really hope they don't come back too much in the future, and also any episodes too into the overarching story are usually bad and taken way to seriously, Castiel has no personality at all but I presume they will develop him later. Oh and that episode on the film set was pretty bad.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TheAardvark posted:

that show was my first "gently caress why did they cancel that" show!

I'm terrified to rewatch it because it might be bad, but it had Ray Wise as the devil, which has to singlehandedly make it worth it still.
Ray Wise should always play the devil.

I also remember thinking it got exponentially better once they added Ken Marino and Michael Ian Black as a gay demon couple. Though pretty much any show gets better when the cast from The State shows up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I love My Name is Earl. Raising Hope was good too.

I may actually start up Raising Hope again. It's such a weird fun show.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

sticklefifer posted:

Ray Wise should always play the devil.

I also remember thinking it got exponentially better once they added Ken Marino and Michael Ian Black as a gay demon couple. Though pretty much any show gets better when the cast from The State shows up.

Ray Wise as the devil is such an appropriate role that since that show premiered I always assume he's the devil. He just loving is.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Solice Kirsk posted:

I may actually start up Raising Hope again. It's such a weird fun show.

Raising Hope is delightful and the cast is great. Garret Dillahunt and Martha Plimpton have good chemistry, and then there's the legendary Cloris Leachman. It's a super sweet show full of wacky characters and I notice something new every time I watch an episode.

Last night I watched one where Burt wore his "I'd rather be in Virginia" t-shirt. Classic.

Jimmy's t-shirt choices are usually good too.

And the way Virginia uses wrong words is always fun.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

TheAardvark posted:

Ray Wise as the devil is such an appropriate role that since that show premiered I always assume he's the devil. He just loving is.

I have never seen an episode of Reaper and don't know who Ray Wise is by name, but I still knew exactly who you were talking about.

I've typecast him in my head, entirely from the trailers and marketing I've seen for Reaper.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished binging BBC's Normal People. I'm not big on the overall story but it had some beautiful cinematography, and great chemistry between the two lead characters.

Also, I now want to visit Ireland once this craziness passes.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I managed 2 seasons of The Americans but I don't think I'm going to carry on. Its good but you were all right, its relentlessly miserable, I need something a bit lighter. Anything Deadwood/Justified ish? Watched the pilot of Sleepy Hollow, seemed nuts, might stick to that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sonderval posted:

I managed 2 seasons of The Americans but I don't think I'm going to carry on. Its good but you were all right, its relentlessly miserable, I need something a bit lighter. Anything Deadwood/Justified ish? Watched the pilot of Sleepy Hollow, seemed nuts, might stick to that.

The US version of Being Human? Might be a little hard to find though.

My friend keeps telling me to checkout Upload on Amazon.

*Being Human is definitely not Deadwood/Justified'ish but it is a good show.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 13, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TheAardvark posted:

I think casting directors know it too, because in season 3 of Fargo he shows up briefly as a weird mystical dude who knows a lot of biblical mythology.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Sonderval posted:

The first two seasons of Fargo scratched that itch of “show with dark plots but has black comedy moments and eccentric characters” but yea like you I’m also looking for something like Deadwood/Justified.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sonderval posted:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The first two seasons of Fargo scratched that itch of “show with dark plots but has black comedy moments and eccentric characters” but yea like you I’m also looking for something like Deadwood/Justified.

I'm so pleased to come in here and recommend Banshee for your next hit of small town badassery. It's pulpy as hell, much moreso than either Deadwood or Justified. Not as smart as Deadwood or as charming as Justified, but it is awesome. Unfortunately, because it aired on Cinemax, not nearly enough people have seen it or even heard of it. But I can't say enough good things about it!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 13, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Banshee is also good if you like to look at good-looking people who take their clothes off sometimes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

withak posted:

Banshee is also good if you like to look at good-looking people who take their clothes off sometimes.

It’s also incredibly violent and bloody, which might be considered a bonus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sometimes you just want good looking people to gently caress up some ugly looking people.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Three episodes into Banshee and holy poo poo you weren't wrong. I'm very onboard for fightman McSheriff banging everything he sees.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Much to my surprise but we're liking Flaked on Netflix. Just starting Season 2. I'm not usually a fan of Will Arnett but he's a likable yet hugely flawed character in this. It's got some vibes of other shows like Californication, High Maintenance, and Dead to Me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sonderval posted:

Three episodes into Banshee and holy poo poo you weren't wrong. I'm very onboard for fightman McSheriff banging everything he sees.

The lead actor absolutely kills it in The Boys, too.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Season 1 of Fargo was decent, but trying a little too hard to mimic the film. It felt like a dumber kid trying to copy from a much smarter kid at school.

Season 2 of Fargo is one of the best TV shows I've watched in recent years. Great cast and the excellent pacing in each episode hooks you in. I finished it in just two days.

The third season was complete dross and made me wonder how the same people could've produced season 2.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm a couple episodes into The Good Place S3 and I don't really see what they're going for this season. It's frankly not very interesting. Does it ever get back to something like S1?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That’s the point where it meanders the most but it finishes really strong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm a couple episodes into The Good Place S3 and I don't really see what they're going for this season. It's frankly not very interesting. Does it ever get back to something like S1?

Sorta? The Good Place is a unique one in that it really shifts up its status quo each season. I think I know the part you're talking about and I wasn't enjoying that stuff either. But if you stick with it it changes up again. Although I can't speak to whether that will work for you.

I don't think I loved the Good Place by the end as much as I did in S1. But I never forced myself to watch it or anything. I enjoyed it well enough to the end and it doesn't string out much.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pollyanna posted:

Really? I thought S3 was it's best season.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I just kinda didn't like episode 2. Everything besides ep 2 has been great. v:v:v

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

The lead actor absolutely kills it in The Boys, too.

And Outrageous Fortune! Don't overlook that one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really did enjoy The Flight Attendant until they make the loving CIA the good guys

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I hate-watched The Flight Attendant for the past week. I don't know if it's the source material or what, the plot is decent enough but they really dropped the ball in fleshing out the story arcs. They were either pointless, unsatisfying payoffs or made no sense. I also never came around to Cassie's character even after watching the whole thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I do kinda wonder when they'll finally make a show like The Flight Attendant that's about gay men, rather than just for them*, but that's really a random dumb side thought.

I had a few things I thought were a bit off, but mostly I thought the show was a lot of fun. A really great cast given space to give great performances.

And the music was loving awesome.

*obviously not exclusively, but you can see how the aesthetic is there.

mcmagic posted:

I really did enjoy The Flight Attendant until they make the loving CIA the good guys

I didn't think much about the CIA stuff at the end made any sense.

Constellation I posted:

I hate-watched The Flight Attendant for the past week. I don't know if it's the source material or what, the plot is decent enough but they really dropped the ball in fleshing out the story arcs. They were either pointless, unsatisfying payoffs or made no sense. I also never came around to Cassie's character even after watching the whole thing.

I dunno, I thought the characters all worked for me. It's escapist fantasy with cute boys, but they all had depth and were flawed in decent ways, even the moral compass character (though she came close to being frustrating at times). I wasn't expecting anything but an airport novel.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm watching Marvel's 616 docuseries, and it's a mixed bag, but it's interesting. It feels like each individual episode could be the pilot for a 30 minute series on its own. Like Paul Scheer's episode could be a series about deep-diving into old Marvel properties to see if he can make them marketable, the Japanese Spider-Man episode could be a series about weird non-canon things made from Marvel licenses, the ones about women and minority artists could focus on one artist per episode, etc.

As an anthology docuseries, it's a bit of tonal whiplash and some of the episodes are longer than they need to be, but it's fun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think The Good Place ever hit the highs of season 1 again, but it stuck the landing for the finale and that helps a lot.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

imabanana posted:

Anyone who loves Nathan Fielder and "Nathan For You" needs to get into "How To With John Wilson" right away. It's 4 out of 6 episodes in and it's been brilliant so far.

Sounds a lot like 'Joe Pera Talks With You' on Adult Swim....which is really great.

I'll have to check this out. Nathan Fielder and Nathan For You rule.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Futurama is I think one of the rare examples of a sitcom that was great right from the start. Sure, there’s plenty that are good from the start, but don’t quite resemble the show they became famous for. Futurama has a super strong start. The only misstep is that weird career chip thing which they mostly ignored afterward.

Absolutely. I can’t imagine many shows have declined that hard, that fast. I can’t believe anyone say through season 3 after season 2. Luckily season 1 is a self-contained story.

The original run of Futurama is some of the best television of all time. Best cartoon series ever, imo. The reboot on Comedy Central really let me down though.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think The Good Place ever hit the highs of season 1 again, but it stuck the landing for the finale and that helps a lot.

I still have to watch the last season of that. I should do that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Sounds a lot like 'Joe Pera Talks With You' on Adult Swim....which is really great.

I'll have to check this out. Nathan Fielder and Nathan For You rule.

How To is a great show and really hits some surprisingly sweet moments.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Just finished Boardwalk Empire a couple of nights ago which was fantastic from start to finish.

For something new and different we started Halt and Catch Fire last night.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Geekslinger posted:

For something new and different we started Halt and Catch Fire last night.

:hellyeah:

If season 1 doesn't grab you (it's a miss for a lot of people, but I do think it picks up in the latter half), do yourself a favour and give the second season a chance. Probably one of my favourite shows of all time once it's all said and done.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Both "How To With John Wilson" and "Joe Perra Talks With You" are really great. Both are mildly funny, calming, and offer surprising interesting perspectives and beautiful moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

fancy stats posted:

:hellyeah:

If season 1 doesn't grab you (it's a miss for a lot of people, but I do think it picks up in the latter half), do yourself a favour and give the second season a chance. Probably one of my favourite shows of all time once it's all said and done.

I think I enjoyed S1 better than the following seasons because the same thing happens over and over again. Still a good show though.