Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

bump_fn posted:

boris johnson could go on tv and say “gently caress you you worms. you eat dirt now. you’re trash and you deserve this.” and every newspaper would talk about how dignified he is in the face of adversity and all of the ham faced home county dads would cry as they think about teh queen

outrageously cucked country you have no idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BerniceKing/status/1337956870112337920

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/nancytellsyou/status/1333079522866995201?s=21

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

this is good poo poo

anyone making GBS threads on jill biden for stolen valor because she's not an md can loving choke on it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
what? that’s a thing?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

President Beep posted:

what? that’s a thing?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-there-a-doctor-in-the-white-house-not-if-you-need-an-m-d-11607727380

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
like, i first realized that not all doctors are physicians watching head of the class at like eight years old because the principal was called “dr. samuels”.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

President Beep posted:

like, i first realized that not all doctors are physicians watching head of the class at like eight years old because the principal was called “dr. samuels”.

oh it's much worse

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

oh it's much worse

made it as far as the paywall. :tizzy:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
dipshits like me and sagebrush are technically doctors lol

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

President Beep posted:

made it as far as the paywall. :tizzy:

quote:

Is There a Doctor in the White House? Not if You Need an M.D.
Jill Biden should think about dropping the honorific, which feels fraudulent, even comic.
By Joseph Epstein
Dec. 11, 2020 5:56 pm ET

Madame First Lady—Mrs. Biden—Jill—kiddo: a bit of advice on what may seem like a small but I think is a not unimportant matter. Any chance you might drop the “Dr.” before your name? “Dr. Jill Biden ” sounds and feels fraudulent, not to say a touch comic. Your degree is, I believe, an Ed.D., a doctor of education, earned at the University of Delaware through a dissertation with the unpromising title “Student Retention at the Community College Level: Meeting Students’ Needs.” A wise man once said that no one should call himself “Dr.” unless he has delivered a child. Think about it, Dr. Jill, and forthwith drop the doc.

I taught at Northwestern University for 30 years without a doctorate or any advanced degree. I have only a B.A. in absentia from the University of Chicago—in absentia because I took my final examination on a pool table at Headquarters Company, Fort Hood, Texas, while serving in the peacetime Army in the late 1950s. I do have an honorary doctorate, though I have to report that the president of the school that awarded it was fired the year after I received it, not, I hope, for allowing my honorary doctorate. During my years as a university teacher I was sometimes addressed, usually on the phone, as “Dr. Epstein.” On such occasions it was all I could do not to reply, “Read two chapters of Henry James and get into bed. I’ll be right over.”

I was also often addressed as Dr. during the years I was editor of the American Scholar, the quarterly magazine of Phi Beta Kappa. Let me quickly insert that I am also not a member of Phi Beta Kappa, except by marriage. Many of those who so addressed me, I noted, were scientists. I also received a fair amount of correspondence from people who appended the initials Ph.D. to their names atop their letterheads, and have twice seen PHD on vanity license plates, which struck me as pathetic. In contemporary universities, in the social sciences and humanities, calling oneself Dr. is thought bush league.

The Ph.D. may once have held prestige, but that has been diminished by the erosion of seriousness and the relaxation of standards in university education generally, at any rate outside the sciences. Getting a doctorate was then an arduous proceeding: One had to pass examinations in two foreign languages, one of them Greek or Latin, defend one’s thesis, and take an oral examination on general knowledge in one’s field. At Columbia University of an earlier day, a secretary sat outside the room where these examinations were administered, a pitcher of water and a glass on her desk. The water and glass were there for the candidates who fainted. A far cry, this, from the few doctoral examinations I sat in on during my teaching days, where candidates and teachers addressed one another by first names and the general atmosphere more resembled a kaffeeklatsch. Dr. Jill, I note you acquired your Ed.D. as recently as 15 years ago at age 55, or long after the terror had departed.

The prestige of honorary doctorates has declined even further. Such degrees were once given exclusively to scholars, statesmen, artists and scientists. Then rich men entered the lists, usually in the hope that they would donate money to the schools that had granted them their honorary degrees. (My late friend Sol Linowitz, then chairman of Xerox, told me that he had 63 honorary doctorates.) Famous television journalists, who passed themselves off as intelligent, followed. Entertainers, who didn’t bother feigning intelligence, were next.

At Northwestern, recent honorary-degree recipients and commencement speakers have included Stephen Colbert and Seth Meyers. I sent a complaining email to the school’s president about the low quality of such men as academic honorands, with the result that the following year the commencement speaker and honorand was Billie Jean King —who, with the graduating members of the school’s women’s tennis team, hit tennis balls out to the audience of graduating students and the parents who had paid $70,000 a year for their university education, or perhaps I should say for their “credential.”

Political correctness has put paid to any true honor an honorary doctorate may once have possessed. If you are ever looking for a simile to denote rarity, try “rarer than a contemporary university honorary-degree list not containing an African-American woman.” Then there are all those honorary degrees bestowed on Bill Cosby, Charlie Rose and others who, owing to their proven or alleged sexual predations, have had to be rescinded. Between the honorary degrees given to billionaires, the falsely intelligent, entertainers and the politically correct, just about all honor has been drained from honorary doctorates.

As for your Ed.D., Madame First Lady, hard-earned though it may have been, please consider stowing it, at least in public, at least for now. Forget the small thrill of being Dr. Jill, and settle for the larger thrill of living for the next four years in the best public housing in the world as First Lady Jill Biden.

Mr. Epstein is author, most recently, of “Gallimaufry: A Collection of Essays, Reviews, Bits.”

Correction
Seth Meyers received an honorary doctorate from Northwestern. An earlier version misidentified him.

epstein notable for writing an article in the 70s about how homosexuality is a curse and that being gay would be the worst thing his sons could be.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what an absolute shitheel.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Blinkz0rz posted:

epstein notable for writing an article in the 70s about how homosexuality is a curse and that being gay would be the worst thing his sons could be.

holy poo poo i don’t talk guillotine that often but this...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sounds like this J. Epstein fella is a real piece of work!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
sometimes pundits just gotta kramer into the discourse and mansplain it in terms people can manderstand

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
could you somehow work sealioning or yikesaroo in there while you’re at it?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/ninjaalex420/status/1337548210332725256?s=21

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, i know, millions of people like that out there. still fun to just stumble across one though.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yikesaroo gb2qcs

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Blinkz0rz posted:

drat, didn’t even get past the salutation without being an rear end in a top hat.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

huh. think that's the first time I've seen it referred to as the "Jesuit Spanish Armada"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

why don't u sealion all up in my rear end

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

President Beep posted:

a doctorate of education is basically an mba for teachers who want to go into administration as it's often a requirement to be principal or higher. there's lots of fast-track programs for the degree since it's a general credential for career progression. even teachers who aren't going into admin often slowly finish it since in many districts pay is commensurate with credentials

but yeah, it's hilarious how butthurt mds get over other professions using doctor, especially when they are trade school graduates who appropriated it from phds

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 13, 2020

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

President Beep posted:

yeah, i know, millions of people like that out there. still fun to just stumble across one though.

Some nut is going to minecraft the vaccine storage lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The_Franz posted:

but yeah, it's hilarious how butthurt mds get over other professions using doctor

/someone steals Engineer valor in YOSPOS

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/agrayphoto/status/1337951172808876033

lol owned

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/someone steals Engineer valor in YOSPOS

I got into a slap fight on linked in about how maybe we shouldn't be calling ourselves engineers because we're huge loving jokes and it went over about as well as you'd imagine. "Wull who's to say what words i get to call myself!!!"

Read that silly doctor article as far as the point where he mocks her dissertation topic. Yeah why in the world would we want someone qualified to talk about student retention in community college, can't see how that could impact policy, how many babies have you even delivered??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

they are trade school graduates who appropriated it from phds

Yeap. Medical doctors are body mechanics who stole their title from scholars and their uniform from scientists

I also got as far as that guy mocking the title of Dr Biden's dissertation and gave up because that's such a smarmy specious piece of poo poo thing to do. Setting aside that her dissertation actually does sound valuable, everyone's dissertation is on some tiny niche topic that no one's ever heard of and it always has a stupid obscure title. I have a colleague who got her PhD for writing mathematical algorithms to determine how likely two people who follow each other on Twitter are to be friends in real life.

Welcome to the next four years though. "She's not even a real doctor" will be her version of Michelle Obama's arms I guess

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
a person with a phd has every right to call themselves doctor. most don't though, at least not in america. most of my professors didn't want to be called doctor or even professor. they'd just come in on the first day of class and introduce themselves: "hi i'm james"

i hear this is different in germany!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my buddy who has lived in London for 1.5 years arrives home in a few days. good timing

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a lot of the backlash is from the succlibs tripping over themselves to fellate her credentials with the implication of "return to decorum" and indirectly insulting the current first lady

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's really dumb how different the bar is for decorum poo poo for dems vs gop fuckos. a gop congressman from utah literally called aoc a loving bitch after accosting here, denied it and faced zero consequences. she spends $70 on a modest outfit and it's an outrage

but w/ slandering jill biden over going by doctor, it's so stark how differently melania has been judged. she's pretty and conservative, so she can just openly talk about how she doesn't care about migrants in detention, or hates christmas or whatever and it's crickets. meanwhile john kerry's wife speaks five languages, and they were constantly attacking her over nothing

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Broken Machine posted:

it's really dumb how different the bar is for decorum poo poo for dems vs gop fuckos. a gop congressman from utah literally called aoc a loving bitch after accosting here, denied it and faced zero consequences. she spends $70 on a modest outfit and it's an outrage

but w/ slandering jill biden over going by doctor, it's so stark how differently melania has been judged. she's pretty and conservative, so she can just openly talk about how she doesn't care about migrants in detention, or hates christmas or whatever and it's crickets. meanwhile john kerry's wife speaks five languages, and they were constantly attacking her over nothing

wow the american media attacked dems who could have guessed

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i feel like the gop fundamentally lacks a sense of shame for when they're being terrible people (which is always) . it'd be nice if they would face consequences for being such shits

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Broken Machine posted:

i feel like the gop fundamentally lacks a sense of shame for when they're being terrible people (which is always) . it'd be nice if they would face consequences for being such shits

the other day on fb i made my first report ever because a shitstain techbro maga guy kept calling someone a pedophile. they didn't take down the comments because they decided it didn't go against any of their community standards

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

a lot of the backlash is from the succlibs tripping over themselves to fellate her credentials with the implication of "return to decorum" and indirectly insulting the current first lady

oh no, wouldn't want to insult the gold digging b-list bikini model whose only notable achievement is marrying the most revolting man humanity has ever produced by comparing her to an english professor with four university degrees

Broken Machine posted:

there's a tweet i can't find that goes "my trump-supporting dad must have it really easy, because whenever i tell him about something that goes against what he believes, he just says "that doesn't sound right to me" and then for him it's no longer true"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a person with a phd has every right to call themselves doctor. most don't though, at least not in america. most of my professors didn't want to be called doctor or even professor. they'd just come in on the first day of class and introduce themselves: "hi i'm james"

i hear this is different in germany!

a person with a phd doing actual teaching can imho without shame call themselves a doctor. teaching is hard and important work, and it is after all the original meaning of the word.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

The_Franz posted:

a lot of the backlash is from people who are absolutely incredulous at how sexist that op-ed is and how it underscores just how much harder women have to work to back up their bona fides but still get poo poo all over by underqualified men "well actually"ing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

more like ow’d boys