Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

PuntCuncher posted:

Series X arrived on Friday afternoon and I’ve spent the weekend filling the drive with Gamepass, and fitting in some Cyberpunk between my wife rediscovering Viva Piñata.

It’s my first console purchase since an old PS3, I’m really pleased with it so far. Going to enjoy spending some quality time with it over the Christmas break.

Make a new Viva Piñata you cowards. So much they could do there to modernize that and it would look just stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

I haven’t ran into many bugs outside a few floating phones and people sitting on chairs that don’t exist. The city seems a bit dead, and the AI seem dumb, I don’t know whether the patches will tackle those problems.

The graphics are pretty good as they are, guess the upgrade with a proper next gen patch would be nice. I actually didn’t fall prey to any of the prerelease hype, so I’m not as let down as some suckers I guess.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I actually ended up switching from Performance to Quality mode on Cyberpunk, which is very unusual for me. I liked the higher frame rate, but it seemed muddy and blurry in a way that really dampened the experience for me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crafty posted:

I haven’t ran into many bugs outside a few floating phones and people sitting on chairs that don’t exist. The city seems a bit dead, and the AI seem dumb, I don’t know whether the patches will tackle those problems.

The graphics are pretty good as they are, guess the upgrade with a proper next gen patch would be nice. I actually didn’t fall prey to any of the prerelease hype, so I’m not as let down as some suckers I guess.

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1337789312893480960?s=20

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crafty posted:

You have certainly showed the suckers, Crafty.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Zerot posted:

I actually ended up switching from Performance to Quality mode on Cyberpunk, which is very unusual for me. I liked the higher frame rate, but it seemed muddy and blurry in a way that really dampened the experience for me.

I have gone for quality mode too, think there’s more people and cars around but that might be a placebo.

The fry eating in this game is the worst fry eating in any game I’ve ever seen. I imagine that’s quite a way down the patch list though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Crafty posted:

I have gone for quality mode too, think there’s more people and cars around but that might be a placebo.

The fry eating in this game is the worst fry eating in any game I’ve ever seen. I imagine that’s quite a way down the patch list though.
I wonder if PS5 and Xsex will eventually reach parity because right now there is no choice of mode on PS5 and there's always less population density than Xbox...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Akuma posted:

I wonder if PS5 and Xsex will eventually reach parity because right now there is no choice of mode on PS5 and there's always less population density than Xbox...

They’ve already announced that PS5 and XSX versions are coming hopefully 2021. Could slip into 2022.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

They’ve already announced that PS5 and XSX versions are coming hopefully 2021. Could slip into 2022.
Yeah that's not what I mean right now- even though it's a PS4/Xbone game it's aware when it's played on next gen consoles and gives a different experience - Xbox Series X gets a performance vs quality choice and has greater NPC density across the board, PS5 does not.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Yeah that's not what I mean right now- even though it's a PS4/Xbone game it's aware when it's played on next gen consoles and gives a different experience - Xbox Series X gets a performance vs quality choice and has greater NPC density across the board, PS5 does not.

So your question is will ps4 pro and x1x reach parity in back compat mode because those are the versions you are talking about

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

So your question is will ps4 pro and x1x reach parity in back compat mode because those are the versions you are talking about
I am not, because the PS4 Pro runs at a locked 30 but it's 60 on PS5. I guess what I'm really wondering is if PS5 is going to get a quality mode vs performance mode, as that seems unlikely on PS4 Pro if it doesn't look great AND is already 30 (at most.)

Also the population density thing because an empty world is more immersion breaking for me than graphical bells and whistles.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Twerk from Home posted:

Game feels a little dated as it is, can’t see anyone bothering in 2022.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teagone posted:

I've been watching a streamer play it and it took him a little over 5 hours just to get to the title card. Watching him play through that "prologue" was an absolute slog, but once he made it to the "Cyberpunk 2077" title drop, things got a bit more interesting. Still though, lmao.

You know I had this same thought last night "maybe it's the prologue"... but goddamn if you have a prologue that is a slog to get through - that doesn't really bode well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

I am not, because the PS4 Pro runs at a locked 30 but it's 60 on PS5. I guess what I'm really wondering is if PS5 is going to get a quality mode vs performance mode, as that seems unlikely on PS4 Pro if it doesn't look great AND is already 30 (at most.)

Also the population density thing because an empty world is more immersion breaking for me than graphical bells and whistles.

No it will get its own version in 6months and stop using the uncapped ps4pro version

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

No it will get its own version in 6months and stop using the uncapped ps4pro version
I'll believe that when I see it!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Crafty posted:

Buddy a PS3/360 game is the best selling game every year for the last 10 years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crafty posted:

This is one hell of a spicy take.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

This is one hell of a spicy take.

Not really? It's honestly not a controversial take at all. CP77 is a really good game and stands strongly on its own merits, but if you compare it to other titles in the genre, all of the biggest open worlds games do things far better than CP77 does. I can point to any feature In CP77, and show you an open world game that in some cases has existed for a decade plus, that does it better.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
CP2077 is a solid 8/10 if you're playing on a good spec'ed PC.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

American McGay posted:

Buddy a PS3/360 game is the best selling game every year for the last 10 years.

Yeah, but unlike Cyberpunk, GTA is actually good.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yeah, but unlike Cyberpunk, GTA is actually good.

I’m liking cyberpunk, still has my interest for sure but the world is nowhere near as interesting as gta5’s, despite the penis modification.

Graphics are pretty amazing though, despite the random floating objects.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
hello please help out an idiot. i bought forza horizon 4 back when it was on sale and today i tried it out. it made me drive through the intro but then i am just on a road with no directions. how do i pick a race? there are two markers on the map that i can pick and it gives me directions there but when i get there nothing happens other than the arrows going away. do i really have to explore all the roads first? is there a menu somewhere to pick races that i'm missing?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you stop where the marker is on your map you should get a prompt to enter the event.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

omg i'm dumb as poo poo i knew it would be something like that. does it ever come to a point where i can pick them from a list?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There might be, but the menus in FH are a mess so I've never really bothered. I just drive around aimlessly doing flips and killing cows for 20 minutes before deciding if I want to go to anything on my map.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

butt dickus posted:

omg i'm dumb as poo poo i knew it would be something like that. does it ever come to a point where i can pick them from a list?

Nah the big selling point of Horizon is that you are in an open-world and drive around it to do things. I'm pretty sure you can't choose all the races from a menu like you can in something like Motorsport.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXaBv2CzSZY

This is a dumb joke but I laughed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

well that's unfortunate. i liked PGR and that i could do a race over and over until i mastered it, i specifically remember going 1v1 against the corvette and driving in the rain in the exige. also it seems like i can run into things with no penalty? in PGR you lost your combo if you hit something other than another car.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

butt dickus posted:

You eventually get the ability to fast travel to anywhere on the map so you can jump around to events like that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Not really? It's honestly not a controversial take at all. CP77 is a really good game and stands strongly on its own merits, but if you compare it to other titles in the genre, all of the biggest open worlds games do things far better than CP77 does. I can point to any feature In CP77, and show you an open world game that in some cases has existed for a decade plus, that does it better.

Ok but that’s also disregarding the fact that the game is going to have legs. Like there is a lot more of the setting for them to explore and with the numbers the game has already sold we are absolutely going to see expansions over the next year +.

The setting is what 99% of people are playing the game for and there aren’t any open world games like it out there right now.

Yeah other games do things better but they don’t have the setting / story.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Cyberpunk is the game equivalent of a potemkin village. All style over substance. The actual open world and gameplay are average to below average. Things like, police AI, police not having cars, citizen AI, traffic ai, awful driving, and weird bullet sponge combat are probably way too core to the game to be fixed by patches. I had very few expectations and was still underwhelmed. I think I watched one trailer for it ever. It's a soulless game and the gameplay is not fun and the menus are headache inducing. The good news is MS is basically refunding anyone who got it. I played ~5 hours and got a refund within one minute. Getting ready to play cyberpunk and then it being bad made me want to play something open world again and I picked up my second playthrough of sleeping dogs definitive edition and it is so much more fun. Even though activities are pretty sparse like cyberpunk, the driving, the shooting, the combat, the music, the police ai, and ai in general make it just a really great game. Highly recommended.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Cyberpunk is the game equivalent of a potemkin village. All style over substance. The actual open world and gameplay are average to below average. Things like, police AI, police not having cars, citizen AI, traffic ai, awful driving, and weird bullet sponge combat are probably way too core to the game to be fixed by patches. I had very few expectations and was still underwhelmed. I think I watched one trailer for it ever. It's a soulless game and the gameplay is not fun and the menus are headache inducing. The good news is MS is basically refunding anyone who got it. I played ~5 hours and got a refund within one minute. Getting ready to play cyberpunk and then it being bad made me want to play something open world again and I picked up my second playthrough of sleeping dogs definitive edition and it is so much more fun. Even though activities are pretty sparse like cyberpunk, the driving, the shooting, the combat, the music, the police ai, and ai in general make it just a really great game. Highly recommended.

Sleeping Dogs is just really fun, really nice combat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im glad its only like 15 hours long and also free

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

butt dickus posted:

well that's unfortunate. i liked PGR and that i could do a race over and over until i mastered it, i specifically remember going 1v1 against the corvette and driving in the rain in the exige. also it seems like i can run into things with no penalty? in PGR you lost your combo if you hit something other than another car.

You can still do a race over and over again, there's also fast travel to certain points.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Forza non-horizon seems to be more the game for mastering tracks and turns. In Horizon you definitely lose your combo/score when you hit things, and in multiplayer you will be slowed down for a bit.

It's part of the charm for me, especially in multiplayer where you will go from random course to random course. One round you're speeding through the cities and the next you're going offroad in the countryside

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

butt dickus posted:

Yes. Once you actually join the Horizon roster, purchasing a particular house on the map will allow you to fast travel to event locations and it will spawn you in the exact location for the "Press X to sign up for event" or whatever prompt to come up. Up until that point, I think you can only fast travel between owned houses? Been a long time since I started my save in FH4 but can confirm that eventually (and it doesn't take very long to get to this point iirc) you just end up fast traveling around everywhere.

Best tip is to just press the share button to open the map and skip pressing start to open the weird rear end xbox one dashboard FH4 menu system. The map has filters for event types and various other locations and items and it's very cool and good

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'm so loving confused

https://www.whathifi.com/news/try-dolby-atmos-for-headphones-on-xbox-series-x-one-or-pc-this-weekend-for-free

it's some CP2077 promo but the article says it's just the trial (and wasn't the 30-day trial always there???) and the tweet says it's "free this weekend only" which would be nice but I've sent it to a friend and they say there's nothing of the sort in the app. Anybody manage to grab it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

butt dickus posted:

Forza Horizon is not the game for you. Go play regular Forza.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Forza Horizon is not the game for you. Go play regular Forza.

NFS hot pursuit remastered is probably a better analog of PGR than forza 5/6/7

in fact i would not recommend any of those forza games to anyone judging by the feedback from people who play them frequently on this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

I'm so loving confused

https://www.whathifi.com/news/try-dolby-atmos-for-headphones-on-xbox-series-x-one-or-pc-this-weekend-for-free

it's some CP2077 promo but the article says it's just the trial (and wasn't the 30-day trial always there???) and the tweet says it's "free this weekend only" which would be nice but I've sent it to a friend and they say there's nothing of the sort in the app. Anybody manage to grab it?

I think on PC there's always a week-long trial inside the app. Dunno about Xbox.