Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

there are too many e-readers, gently caress. say i think the paperwhite is pretty nice but refuse to buy anything from amazon ever. which one do i get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You get a second-hand Paperwhite and jailbreak it? :P

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Kobo Clara HD is probably the closest comparison you can get.

In other news I guess someone found a crate of Kindle DXs because Amazon is going to sell them next week. For $200. For a Kindle that's been sitting in a box for a decade.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Wibla posted:

You get a second-hand Paperwhite and jailbreak it? :P

:hmmyes: i didn't know there was a jailbreak, you got a link on that? work on the new waterproof ones?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

owlhawk911 posted:

:hmmyes: i didn't know there was a jailbreak, you got a link on that? work on the new waterproof ones?

They're on the internet, but I dunno if Amazon patched out the hole they used in the later FW revisions.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The Kobo Clara HD is basically the Paperwhite but a bit cheaper and has an adjustable backlight colour instead of being waterproof.

I ended up with he Kobo as I sideload most books as I get them from places other than Amazon.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My paper white from last year is great, the only changes I would make are the warm lit thing, more battery life always (though it's fine) and most importantly, UCB C.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

LionArcher posted:

My paper white from last year is great, the only changes I would make are the warm lit thing, more battery life always (though it's fine) and most importantly, UCB C.

be careful if you say USB C into the eReader thread 3 times someone comes and yells at you

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I, too, do not plan to upgrade until Kobo releases a model with a USB-C connector.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LionArcher posted:

If rumors are to be believed, the next Paperwhite will have warm light. USB-C is always up in the air however.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
If the new paperwhite has USB C I will probably swap from my Oasis.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
No devices going forward should have micro-USB connections. It's 2020! Also everything should have fast charging. And everything should cost 50% less.

Last two are optional I suppose.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No devices going forward should have micro-USB connections. It's 2020! Also everything should have fast charging. And everything should cost 50% less.

Last two are optional I suppose.

I just wish there were an industry-standard pogo power connector.

Doesn't need to be turbocharger speed, or even capable of data transfer or anything, just a non-delicate dedicated power port with no wasteful inefficiency like wireless chargers.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015
I'd argue that given that eReaders have like 1500 mAh batteries and last weeks on a charge, you really don't need fast charging.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I wish my remarkable charged faster

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

binaryhermit posted:

I'd argue that given that eReaders have like 1500 mAh batteries and last weeks on a charge, you really don't need fast charging.

It's convenience rather than need. Sometimes I've gone on an unplanned trip and had little charge in my Kindle.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

taqueso posted:

I wish my remarkable charged faster

Not emptyquoting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

binaryhermit posted:

I only charge my Kindle when it tells me it's almost dead and it's always a surprise

I like that I don't have to janitor my Kindle battery as much as a phone but on the flip side when it says the battery's about to die it means I've got like 2 minutes

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Fallom posted:

I only charge my Kindle when it tells me it's almost dead and it's always a surprise

I like that I don't have to janitor my Kindle battery as much as a phone but on the flip side when it says the battery's about to die it means I've got like 2 minutes

Yeah I feel like my Kindle could use an earlier low battery warning. If you're engrossed in a book, you may go ages without seeing the battery indicator.

It's not as bad as my Logitech wireless mouse though, which has precisely one on-screen warning: "Battery level critical". Makes me laugh every time

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'll typically just plug my Kindle (Oasis) in when I finish a book. I think the only time I've had to charge it without finishing a book first was when I read The Count of Monte Cristo, which is like 2-3x the length of the books I more typically read.
It'd be nice to have USB C just for the convenience of the plug though, since I always have a USB C on my desk for my laptop and phone, and I have to go out of my way for a micro for the Kindle or my mouse. I don't think the tiny batteries in a Kindle would benefit from USB C charging speeds.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

£70 off Kindle Oasis in Amazon Prime Day.

Some other good deals too.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L5GDTYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_PszHFbSGJ9SF8

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Came to my attention earlier today that Calibre hit version 5 a couple weeks ago and one of the big bulletpoints that struck me was that the dev is supporting Python 3 now after saying they were sticking with 2. Wonder what got them to change their mind.

Also due to that there’s gonna be broken plugins so if you have one you need, maybe wait.

There’s a list being maintained here that shows what has and hasn’t updated.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I've been thinking of swapping over but I need to know apprentice elf's dedrm stuff still works in 5.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, I've been thinking of swapping over but I need to know apprentice elf's dedrm stuff still works in 5.

They updated the latest release post with the following note:

Apprentice Alf posted:

This release DOES NOT work with the latest calibre 5.x that requires Python 3 for plugins.

It does not.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah, then it will be a while before I update.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ended up trading in the old oasis for a new one with the warm lighting, total came to 86? bucks.

Weirdly, had to get the customer service involved. Wouldn't let me use the credit they give you for the trade in with the coupon they give you for a new reader. Ended up talking with a supervisor, turns out if you chose installment for the payment, it limits your options on how to pay, so I just had to buy it outright.

Damned weird option/bug, but at least we got it worked out. If it's not fixed later and you are looking to upgrade your reader, remember it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 15, 2020

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L5GDTYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dlC_wuhOFbAEXY8A5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

£60 off Kindle Oasis at the moment.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I'd really like a new high end Kobo with a USB C port. My old one died and I don't want to buy one with micro B, all my other devices are C at this point.

Are there any rumblings of new models coming any time soon? All I've seen this year is the Nia mid range model.

Edit. I uh just caught up with this page. This wasn't supposed to be a wind up. 😬

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to remove phrases from an ebook? I've got one I bought, but the editing is kinda poo poo and it's got the title on like EVERY PAGE which is kinda a read killer cause it kills my flow.

I dunno poo poo about ebooks though, but I do have an epub azw3, and pdf to gently caress with, if that helps.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know how to remove phrases from an ebook? I've got one I bought, but the editing is kinda poo poo and it's got the title on like EVERY PAGE which is kinda a read killer cause it kills my flow.

I dunno poo poo about ebooks though, but I do have an epub azw3, and pdf to gently caress with, if that helps.

Might be easiest with calibre ebook editor and the epub version.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Epubs are just zips with html inside. Dick around and see if the text you see on every page is also repeated in the files. Edit it out, zip it back up.

I mess with epubs sometime when books force some particularly egregious custom fonts that override my settings.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The author uploaded a fixed epub version.

Man I hope he didn't pay for those file conversions cause... gently caress that is one jacked up file.

Appreciate the heads up about the zip idea!

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Any opinions on the Boox line? I like the design and they're usb-c but they're on the expensive side and I'm a little worried about quality and support and how long one would actually last me.

If kobo refreshed the forma with usb-c and even lighting I feel like that'd be my dream device but...

krissgjeng
May 2, 2012
I have a Boox Nova 2, and i like it for my uses.
it's basically an android tablet optimized for epaper, you can easily activate google play from the settings and then you can use any ebook app like kindle, kobo, etc.

It has per app options to optimize the apps for eink where you can change contrast, refresh rate(changing between speed and ghosting) dpi, and more.

The major problems with the Boox is the gpl violations if you care about that. And weak software support, even though the nova 2 came out in january this year, it will likely stay on android 9.
But it did get an upgrade to their boox v3 software that added gestures and folders for apps. so expect about one year of major software updates.

I had a kindle paperwhite 2 previously, and it is nice to have more freedom in software and configuration with the the boox.
It also has pen support that is pretty decent if you like to write down notes.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've had a Boox Poke 2 for a while and ordered the Poke 3 a few days ago. Looking forward to the USB-C. Otherwise I think the Poke 2 is top-notch build quality. Android on e-ink can be a little hit-or-miss at times in terms of ghosting and lack of color, but as krissgjeng said it's nice to have the app flexibility that Kindle and Kobo will never have.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I've got a Nova 2 as well, and based on using this thing, I'd buy something from them in the future. Build quality easily exceeds that of the early Kindle/Nook devices, but I haven't compared to a recent e-ink Kindle. As long as you're realistic about expectations for e-ink, it's a great e-reader which can also serve as a basic utility tablet.

Their lineup now finally includes readers with built-in speakers instead of just USBc/BT audio, which solves my main peeve with the Nova 2. Minor peeve is that their pens do have full Wacom functionality, but their feel in the hand is way closer to the kind of cheaper stylus you'd find on a 1999-2012 period tablet or phone.

Note Air with its 10" screen, speakers, nicer pen, metal body & Android 10 actually looks really tempting even now, to be honest. If they'd announced that thing before summer, I'd have held off buying the Nova 2 and spent a bit more for a full-page reader.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would really want one of those devices except that they don't have enough storage for all my PDFs and aren't expandable.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

I would really want one of those devices except that they don't have enough storage for all my PDFs and aren't expandable.

Yeah, it's pretty silly that they'd be well-built and modern, but fall so short on storage.

They do at least offer USB-OTG across their modern lineup so you can swap out files and folders via flash drives when wireless transfers aren't feasible, but their specs do come across like they have something strangling their supply chain.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I was given an Inkpad X a few months back, and while it's fantastic it's a little too big for me. I'm going to sell it but only see listings for $450-$650. Probably because of Covid and the fact that it's not really sold in the US much. This is a weird question but what's a fair asking price? $300?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstraZenmaster
Jun 28, 2004
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

sweart gliwere posted:

I've got a Nova 2 as well, and based on using this thing, I'd buy something from them in the future. Build quality easily exceeds that of the early Kindle/Nook devices, but I haven't compared to a recent e-ink Kindle. As long as you're realistic about expectations for e-ink, it's a great e-reader which can also serve as a basic utility tablet.

Their lineup now finally includes readers with built-in speakers instead of just USBc/BT audio, which solves my main peeve with the Nova 2. Minor peeve is that their pens do have full Wacom functionality, but their feel in the hand is way closer to the kind of cheaper stylus you'd find on a 1999-2012 period tablet or phone.

Note Air with its 10" screen, speakers, nicer pen, metal body & Android 10 actually looks really tempting even now, to be honest. If they'd announced that thing before summer, I'd have held off buying the Nova 2 and spent a bit more for a full-page reader.

Posting this from my Air (had originally pre-ordered a reMarkable 2, then cancelled it when the severe software limitations became apparent). The Air is a solid, snappy, well-built device, great for sketching, note taking, and PDF mark-up. The Boox UI also does a great job making the e-ink display useful for general Android tasks.

The GPL violation sucks though and would have given me pause had I realized in advance. Note also that Google generally does not certify e-ink devices as part of Play Protect for ...reasons..., so you need to click a somewhat disguised "I agree that this device could steal all my privacy and sekrits" checkbox to download apps from there. Not ideal obviously, I use a burner account.

For very good, detailed, objective reviews of e-ink tablets including all the various Boox lines check out the My Deep Guide channel on YouTube, e.g. Note Air here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ5sXTJRMI

Edit: just to add that Boox have sole moderator rights on the onyx_boox sub-reddit and routinely delete posts mentioning the GPL violations, which seems particularly heinous and demonstrates malice over ignorance :-(

AstraZenmaster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 13, 2020