Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Some of these legendary quickhack passive effects are loving wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got the (late-game spoilers) Johnny Silverhand gun. Little disappointed I'm not blasting people's heads off for 2000 damage like in the flashbacks cuz that was a helluva lot of fun, but then I'm not specced for combat at all. :shrug:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Palpek posted:

Ok, can somebody explain what's going on with the monowire? Some people claim its really weak, some people say it owns even on hard difficulties. What perks influence it this heavily?
I haven't used it myself, but I think the only stat/perk that impacts its effectiveness is Cool (3 damage per point). Apparently, if you're super-cool, the whip is good.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Where the hell do I buy a new cyberdeck? I've checked out a couple netrunning vendors but all they seem to have are quickhacks

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Missionary Positron posted:

Where the hell do I buy a new cyberdeck? I've checked out a couple netrunning vendors but all they seem to have are quickhacks

Ripperdocs. Quickhacks are the spells you slot into your cyberdeck.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Missionary Positron posted:

Ripper. There's one with a legendary deck, in the kabuki area iirc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So does the last attribute slot really just never unlock?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Pylons posted:

Some of these legendary quickhack passive effects are loving wild.

I just got the cyberdeck that allows ultimate quick hacks to spread to another target. I had no idea this would affect suicide. Too bad it doesn’t stack with the plague perk but I guess that would be ridiculously overpowered.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ImpAtom posted:

It's got something to do with Johhny, because it only unlocks once you get him but I dunno if you ever get to put anything into it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I just assumed it was just a quirk of the, admittedly somewhat poorly thought out UI visual design, which is small beans compared to the lack of QoL features in the rest of the UI.

Like having to do multiple clicks to get to the backpack, and specifically to the bits with crafting mats and junk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Seeing all the quick hack stuff I've been ignoring makes me want to start a corporatists character that's nothing but hacks and cybershit

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Seeing all the quick hack stuff I've been ignoring makes me want to start a corporatists character that's nothing but hacks and cybershit

It's so OP. There's a cyberdeck that causes all of your critical hacks to be contagious so you can cast detonate grenade on one guy and everyone around him will pull the pin on theirs. Or just cause cascading suicides.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Palpek posted:

Ok, can somebody explain what's going on with the monowire? Some people claim its really weak, some people say it owns even on hard difficulties. What perks influence it this heavily?

Ok there's a trick here that I think I can see, for me atleast I have int maxed with the legendary short circuit quickhack, which gives the passive while equipped critical hits with any weapon applies short circuit tier 1 effects. So basically crit does like 4k dmg and just murders things.

It makes really any weapon work in very hard. The stats page says my monowire is 966 dps which really isnt that bad for a melee weapon and I only have 10 points in cool right now so it could be higher.

There is also another mechanic to monowire. It is not just another melee weapon. You have to build up charge by doing stuff outside of combat. What that is I have no idea because the game doesn't tell you want it is. But I figure hacking and stealth stuff raise the charge of the monowire.

And you can see monowire was a well thought out weapon from my screenshot here where it correctly displays the mods I put into it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 13, 2020

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
So that's that, 59 hours according to steam. Didn't run in to any gamebreaking bugs, but lots of animation glitches and I had to restart every time I wanted to loot a robot.

Hacking seems to make everything better, and my next playthrough will absolutely be a pure hacker.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's so OP. There's a cyberdeck that causes all of your critical hacks to be contagious so you can cast detonate grenade on one guy and everyone around him will pull the pin on theirs. Or just cause cascading suicides.

Wait is that a thing? I just posted about a similar cyberdeck but it only seems to chain to one other dude

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have some mod that is supposed to put me into bullet time when I get detected on a 60 second cool down but it always fires. Makes sneaking kind of easy mode lmao

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there any hope that a lot of the jank will get patched out or is it permanent like it was in VtM Bloodlines?
It won’t stop me from playing but I just want to know if there will be more games that try to at least deliver on some of the loftier promises cyberpunk tried to offer.

I guess what I’m saying is if I had any hopes for this game it was to have a reactive and immersive cyberpunk universe. To some extent this was achieved but I wanted more.

I wanted a way to raise your standing in night city. To get things like trauma team coverage as a respawn mechanic and to have guns and other items be a bit more meaningful. The marketing material made it seem like you’d get into the nitty gritty of different gun and cyberware manufacturers and how that would matter to you from a customization and gameplay perspective. Instead you have the same 3-4 guns per category with different skins and stats which feels like a lazy let-down.

I also figured it would’ve been nice to play pachinko and other mini games as a way to spend time in the universe. Maybe a bit of slice of life. But the game is already so big I think that might take away from the overall narrative. Even Yakuza wouldn’t let you play pachinko. I have my suspicions the developers didn’t want to promote gambling or get kids hooked early so they’d go play it in real life in Japan.

Anyway the game is good I can live without some of the features I thought it might have. But I really can’t see why it would’ve taken this long to make or why all this crunch was necessary after so much development time.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, starts off fairly tame but mid-game onwards you're just loving gangs of enemies up without breaking a sweat.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Linx posted:

Wait is that a thing? I just posted about a similar cyberdeck but it only seems to chain to one other dude

IIRC it's the one you get from the ripperdoc in Pacifica - gives an aoe effect to all offensive hacks.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Firstborn posted:

The people who wanted GTA from this game are somehow also the people who try to follow the NPCs home and see if they eat dinner and the biggest flaw of this game is clearly the police response to killing random pedestrians

(it would be cool if you could go to future prison and get locked up there though)

Honestly I almost feel a bit guilty for how much I've been liking and playing this game, even despite al the flaws and absent or unfinished features I'm recognizing here. And I realize that the game as is, for me and most others who like the game is pretty much purely from a presentation, storytelling and visual standpoint, and by itself that's fine enough, but then you realize the reason why all those features were cut and it was mostly for cynical short-term economic gain, and that the marketing for this was very deceptive, and how they selected for pre-release reviews also seem to have been very shady.

Like here's a list of things I'm thinking of that are missing, listed in no particular order:

1) unscripted Braindances, like they seem like they should be something you can buy and watch on your own, you can even buy them, and they aren't a junk item. Like others have said they've been cut. This I think will likely get re-added in the future, as it would be relatively simple, really all they'd be doing is taking you to a cutscene that you can view in some different ways if you wish.

2) Travel options via train, taxi or self-driving car (like obviously it seems like your car is capable of driving itself). Probably the simplest of these to add would be trains or subways, because those would literally be on rails, travelling from A to B to C, which the game is very much capable of handling, and the station infrastructure is all there, all that's needed really is to have the trains moving along the rails for the player to be able to ride along without falling through the floor or being launched into space or something. Taxis and auto-piloting your car would be more complex, because it would require a bit of driving AI, which it seems this game does not have, there are several sections in missions where you ride along with someone else driving, but yeah, this is obviously all on rails (and you'll notice how differently the cars handle from when you drive them) and there are no options to do this outside of the scripted sections in missions. One thing the game probably could be capable of with this before they implement driving AI (if they ever do it) is to just implement this as a time-skip fast travel.

3) Wanted mechanics and traffic AI, it's related to the above in that it would pretty much require driving and traffic AI, at least for vehicles involved in non-scripted chases. So yeah, implementing an actual wanted system where cops and gangs try to chase you down and you have to hide, escape or fight them off, with a coupel of different levels of intensity. It's something all games like this have had since the first GTA. It should be in this. Would probably also be better with mildly improved pedestrian AI in terms of trying to get away from firefights and avoiding being hit by cars. Edit: Yeah, this one probably also requires improved AI combat behavior in general, as it would have to handle them enterign and exiting vehicles and fighting you in the streets in some manner that's at least kind of fun and consistent.

4) Ability to change your character's appearance in game. This is a really glaring omission and probably one that's really easy to address in a simplistic manner. Say you can pay a ripperdoc and it just takes you to the character creation screen, or you could do it for free via interacting with the mirror. Or it could be a bit more involved and split up between different new and existing vendors. Go to a ripperdoc and pay a decent amount of eddies for body and face modifications, and/or changing your sex, go to barber NPCs and for a small price tag change your hairstyle and beard (or have you be able to interact with a mirror to just do these for free, while requiring you to go to a ripperdoc for any other modifications), maybe even throw in tattoo and piercing parlors for those options. If you want to be fancy with it, even throw in an animation of the barber cutting your hair, and maybe runnign their mouth at you for some flavor gossip or whatever, or at least have a radio running that you can listen to however long you like.

5) Improved character customization options. Really, the character creator in this game is pretty lackluster, and past that you can't even alter your character's appearance further except through clothes. You see lots of NPCs with robo-arms and eyes and other cybernetic prosthetics and enhancements, but you are just a normal-looking guy or gal, who might have some cosmetic face cybernetics, chosen in character creation that are ultimately exactly the same as just choosing a face tattoo for your dude in Dragon Age or whatever RPG chooses to have that option. As far as I can tell none of the augmentations you can install show up on your character model, either in third or first person and that's a crying shame for a game with a cyberpunk setting.

6) While ideally I'd like for them to actually just throw out the entire levelled loot and equipment system they have, because it loving sucks, at least throw in that transmog poo poo people have been crowing about so you can actually establish and maintain a consistent look for your Cyberpunk protagonist instead of either having to spend piles of resources upgrading the clothes you want to wear or end up in clown suits that give you decent stats.

There's probably much more I could list, but these are some of the first ones off the top of my mind.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 13, 2020

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

IIRC it's the one you get from the ripperdoc in Pacifica - gives an aoe effect to all offensive hacks.

Welp, time to save up some more Eddies :shrug:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any hope that a lot of the jank will get patched out or is it permanent like it was in VtM Bloodlines?

Unless CDRP no longer care about their image one would assume it will mostly be patched out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's got something to do with Johhny, because it only unlocks once you get him but I dunno if you ever get to put anything into it.

It never unlocked for me. I also went back and looked at pre release stuff and it mentions six attributes, including Constitution which isn't in the game. Feels like they just ripped it out. Probably also why Body has 3 skill trees instead of 2

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Even Yakuza wouldn’t let you play pachinko.

There is Pachinko in a bunch of the Yakuza games what are you talking about

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It never unlocked for me. I also went back and looked at pre release stuff and it mentions six attributes, including Constitution which isn't in the game. Feels like they just ripped it out. Probably also why Body has 3 skill trees instead of 2

Might have something to do with DLC plans.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Here's all the legendary cyberdecks I've found so far.

I really don't know which is the best because all the good quickhacks already spread and the ones that make combat quickhacks last longer is really good also. Base Ram is also debatable because you get alot more from quickhacking and breach protocol than the cyberdeck itself.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 13, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

VoLaTiLe posted:

So I did the Pacifica voodoo boys Gim quest was upset my hacker character couldnt make the robot sparring partner kill the animal guy fighting it. I couldnt make the bench press crush the guy too :v:

Was I missing something here its was all over the preview videos

Still loving the game but I feel for people playing on ps4 or xbone

Yeah these really stuck out to me! these were huge very Prominent features of the trailers and I am an extremely skilled net runner at this point. are those not even in the game anymore? because that was kind of the whole reason I picked a hacker to be honest

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah these really stuck out to me! these were huge very Prominent features of the trailers and I am an extremely skilled net runner at this point. are those not even in the game anymore? because that was kind of the whole reason I picked a hacker to be honest

Hacker is basically just a mage.

With the Ping legendary and some good quickhacks you literally can just kill everyone from across the street

Also another thing that occurs to me. Dis stealing have like. . Any negative consequence?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

It won’t stop me from playing but I just want to know if there will be more games that try to at least deliver on some of the loftier promises cyberpunk tried to offer.

I guess what I’m saying is if I had any hopes for this game it was to have a reactive and immersive cyberpunk universe. To some extent this was achieved but I wanted more.

I wanted a way to raise your standing in night city. To get things like trauma team coverage as a respawn mechanic and to have guns and other items be a bit more meaningful. The marketing material made it seem like you’d get into the nitty gritty of different gun and cyberware manufacturers and how that would matter to you from a customization and gameplay perspective. Instead you have the same 3-4 guns per category with different skins and stats which feels like a lazy let-down.

I also figured it would’ve been nice to play pachinko and other mini games as a way to spend time in the universe. Maybe a bit of slice of life. But the game is already so big I think that might take away from the overall narrative. Even Yakuza wouldn’t let you play pachinko. I have my suspicions the developers didn’t want to promote gambling or get kids hooked early so they’d go play it in real life in Japan.

Anyway the game is good I can live without some of the features I thought it might have. But I really can’t see why it would’ve taken this long to make or why all this crunch was necessary after so much development time.

Game must have been in development hell. I'm as interested to find out what the gently caress happened as I am with the in-game story.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I'm curious how much they can improve the performance of the PS4 version before the PS5 version is released. Any attempts to reduce graphical effects to bring resolution / frame rate up would negatively impact how the game looks on PS5 due to the way Sony handles backwards compatibility.

They're limited to pure optimization improvements without one or both sides bitching at them until the game versions are split. But at 15fps and 720p they probably should just bite the bullet and deal with pissing off a small handful of people in the short term to fix the base console version.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Simone Magus posted:

Let's be fair, CDPR's marketing really did seem to imply there would be a bit more immersion to the nightlife and hanging out stuff. Like, I'm having a blast exploring and hanging out in bars, but only because they nailed the presentation - mechanically it's even more shallow than GTA or Yakuza because, and I can't stress enough how dumb this is, there are pachinko machines and arcade games and you can't even play them

Like just lmfao what the gently caress CDPR, minigames are the most basic thing you need for making an immersive town

Exile yourselves to study under the masters at RGG studios until you have learned!

This is my only disappointment, tbh. Arcade games should be playable, random vendors should be interactable ala Witcher 3, there should be a taxi service I can call from my phone ala GTA, the GPS should be in the game world ala Watchdogs (you make this beautiful gameworld and I have to drive around looking at Pacman), and I should be able to physically ride the trains/subways to fast travel without having gone somewhere first.

Those have been genre staples for a while and were hinted at in promos, so maybe it'll be a free DLC later. :smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People got the idea in their heads that 2077 has been in development for 8+ years but isn’t it more realistic to say the game was in pre-production for 4 years and didn’t really start full dev until after the last WITCHER DLC finished so the game itself has only really had like 4 years of actual technical development?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is my only disappointment, tbh. Arcade games should be playable, random vendors should be interactable ala Witcher 3, there should be a taxi service I can call from my phone ala GTA, the GPS should be in the game world ala Watchdogs (you make this beautiful gameworld and I have to drive around looking at Pacman), and I should be able to physically ride the trains/subways to fast travel without having gone somewhere first.

Those have been genre staples for a while and were hinted at in promos, so maybe it'll be a free DLC later. :smith:

Losing my mind over the complaint that this video game didn’t ship with separate additional video games to play

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Here's a screen of the monowire hitting for 10k dmg. I can only assume the crit is from the legendary short circuit crit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I love that they have Johnny do commentary on sidequests. This by far has been my favorite. Also a pretty decent one too imo. It's minor, but I'm gonna keep it spoilered.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1338246676952227842

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I love the Yakuza series and have put hundreds of hours into it, but being able to play Mahjong or Shogi or go in some restaurants didn't make the world really feel more "alive" to me, it just made the areas I can't interact with stand out more.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Tenzarin posted:

Ok there's a trick here that I think I can see, for me atleast I have int maxed with the legendary short circuit quickhack, which gives the passive while equipped critical hits with any weapon applies short circuit tier 1 effects. So basically crit does like 4k dmg and just murders things.

It makes really any weapon work in very hard. The stats page says my monowire is 966 dps which really isnt that bad for a melee weapon and I only have 10 points in cool right now so it could be higher.

There is also another mechanic to monowire. It is not just another melee weapon. You have to build up charge by doing stuff outside of combat. What that is I have no idea because the game doesn't tell you want it is. But I figure hacking and stealth stuff raise the charge of the monowire.

And you can see monowire was a well thought out weapon from my screenshot here where it correctly displays the mods I put into it.

That's interesting and gives me hope of using it this playthrough because I'm focusing on int and tech with body as the third attribute.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gave it about three hours, looks like it's time to replay DX

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

People got the idea in their heads that 2077 has been in development for 8+ years but isn’t it more realistic to say the game was in pre-production for 4 years and didn’t really start full dev until after the last WITCHER DLC finished so the game itself has only really had like 4 years of actual technical development?

Losing my mind over the complaint that this video game didn’t ship with separate additional video games to play

Yeah, it's really only been in development since B&W wrapped up. They said they started shifting small teams over after Witcher 3 went gold, iirc, but the full team wasn't shifted over until the last Witcher 3 DLC shipped.

And yeah, they are petty complaints. Somebody will mod all of that in if it doesn't get added. :shrug:

Basic Chunnel posted:

Gave it about three hours, looks like it's time to replay DX

A famously bug-free experience!

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.
A few dildos are funny, more and it becomes overused and then even more and it's even funnier again. I just played through a downbeat emotional scene and the entire time there's a huge billboard in the background with a unicorn with a dildo horn retracting and extending.

I know other people have lamented the lack of normal cyberpunk philosophy but to me that's a plus. I love the pulpy tone and aesthetic. I know everyone loves Deus Ex but to me it always felt like a throwback to being an undergrad philosophy student and being trapped in a conversation with a white guy with dreads waxing lyrical about the Matrix and Descartes. I'm so glad they didn't go in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Do the poison perks in Cool affect katanas?