Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think this is right. It's important too because it shows that Denji isn't chainsawman and reinforces that Mikima was wrong to only see CSM, since like Denji said, it ended up killing her.

It feels like Denji's birthday was Makima's last chance, in hindsight.

If she'd done things differently, or even if Denji had been able to give a better wish, maybe things could have been different

It was a real chance at what she really wanted, someone who loved her without control or manipulation, someone who could have been an equal... and she threw it all away.

I also think that wish helps explain why Kishibe was never controlled. Makima wasn't friends with him, but if you look at their scenes together, they're basically treated as on the same level. She's the strongest Devil in Public Safety, and Kishibe is the strongest Devil Hunter. He's the closest she has to a real equal.

Looking forward...

Denji's first time is probably going to be more awkward than ever with the whole single dad in high school thing. But given his track record, having sex while his kid is in the next room over is a relatively minor level of disaster.

Finally, with Chainsaw Man ending in Jump, the crossover covers with him and Yuuji hanging out are over,

But now he can hang out with the Forgers to bond over cold war era adoptive parenting difficulties.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Chainsaw Man, the Hero of Hell, erases whatever he eats. Denji, devil-hunting part-timer, does not, which is why his apartment has a toilet which he uses, and why he was able to pull off all those tricks with Power's blood. Besides, Chainsaw Man erases concepts - if that power had been in play, Nayuta wouldn't exist, and neither would the idea of control.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

or even if Denji had been able to give a better wish, maybe things could have been different

Considering Makima was positioned as something of an abusive partner to Denji, keeping him subservient to her as well as constructing an allowed social circle for him, I feel saying Denji "could have wished for something better" is missing the forest from the trees. Denji never frames his stupidity as the reason he couldn't reach Makima; If anything he frames it as the reason he couldn't see (or didn't care) he was being manipulated.

quote:

It was a real chance at what she really wanted, someone who loved her without control or manipulation, someone who could have been an equal... and she threw it all away.
I wouldn't say by the end that she cared about finding an equal, in the abstract. She built up expectations that she would either get Chansaw Man or die. At some point it was about her twisted idea of "family", but that got corrupted by her single-minded obsession.

But with Nayuta you have the infancy of that desire that Denji can nurture with something other than the superiority complex the Public Safety Bureau filled Makima with.

I am very happy with this end.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 12, 2020

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
How do you think Denji handled the bones? Do you think he ground them up for bread? Also, here's some cool art:

https://twitter.com/9ibem/status/1337358032733306881

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I Am Fowl posted:

How do you think Denji handled the bones? Do you think he ground them up for bread? Also, here's some cool art:

https://twitter.com/9ibem/status/1337358032733306881

Bones are good for soup.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
bones aren't a part of what makes a person

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If you're trying to make a person and elect not to include bones I don't think you'll be pleased with the results

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Chainsaw Man, the Hero of Hell, erases whatever he eats. Denji, devil-hunting part-timer, does not, which is why his apartment has a toilet which he uses, and why he was able to pull off all those tricks with Power's blood. Besides, Chainsaw Man erases concepts - if that power had been in play, Nayuta wouldn't exist, and neither would the idea of control.

Chainsaw Man is an Idol confirmed.

chiasaur11 posted:

Denji's first time is probably going to be more awkward than ever with the whole single dad in high school thing. But given his track record, having sex with his kid in the next room is a relatively minor level of disaster.

You forgot a few commas!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The conversation with Pochita adds an extra little layer to the end of chapter 1 when Chainsaw Denji meets Makima and his first words, ignoring her order, are 'Hold me' :3:

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

smartest man in the whole series

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZniAuAzeG8

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Had the anime been officially officially confirmed? Don't recall, but here's the announcement anyway.

https://twitter.com/CHAINSAWMAN_PR/status/1338136597011816451?s=20
e: ooo a fancy PV has shown up while i was proofreading!

As for the latest chapter : i'm a little unsure of the ending, which to be fair, is not an ending. Maybe i was just hoping for a short, sharp story instead of a longer and (possibly) less focused one. But who knows, maybe i'll feel differently in like an hour, much less after the new chapters start rolling out. And to reiterate, a "little unsure" is a long, long way from feeling let down or disappointed in any way, it just didn't land with a perfectly stuck 10/10 is all.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 13, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The website being chainsawman.dog is fairly on point.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
got to love a good novelty domain

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
After hearing that this manga is really interesting, I seem to have picked a rather auspicious moment to binge it. Everything up to chapter 53 on thursday, the rest today intending to catch up, and chapter 97 came out on Mangadex while I was reading.

Well, this is one of the best mangas I've ever read and I'm not sure how to adequately express that right now.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 13, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something I haven't seen much commented on?

Right before this fight, Denji said he was sick of jam on bread. He wanted steak for breakfast, every day!

...And now he had delicious meat every day, he's so sick of it that he's happily going back to jam on toast. It fits with him going to school and living a "normal" life aside from his hero gig. Denji's grown up a lot. (The hard way, naturally)

I'm curious how much Nayuta will have in common with Makima in how she's portrayed going forward, since her dynamic with Denji changes a lot if she's portrayed more like Makima with amnesia or more like, well, Makima and Denji's kid. (After all, she was born because Denji and Makima became one flesh.)

Either way, of course, leaving her with Denji makes some sense. Denji and Kishibe are the only people shown to not be controlled by her, and if Kishibe's busy, Denji's the only person who's reliably immune. Best not to leave someone with mind control powers running loose with nobody who can check her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw that something else that got announced is official merch. Plush Pochita when?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Saw that something else that got announced is official merch. Plush Pochita when?

Plush Poochita now. It's one of the promotional items on sale for the Jump Festa.

They also announced Nendos for Denji and Power.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

chiasaur11 posted:

Plush Poochita now. It's one of the promotional items on sale for the Jump Festa.

The future is best

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I am absolutely pre-ordering a Power nendo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kishibe left nayuta with denji because he's the only person that could possibly love her. him not being subject to her control is part of that, though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gege and Horikoshi congratulating Fujimoto in the comments this week is pretty :3:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kishibe left nayuta with denji because he's the only person that could possibly love her. him not being subject to her control is part of that, though.

The way I interpret it, the control devil can only control lifeforms that IT considers to be lower. Makima idolized Chainsawman, and thus couldn't control him. Nayuta is a different person though, and will have different views of who is "lower" than she is. I could see it going a bunch of different directions. She already called Denji a doggy, maybe she already thinks he's beneath her, and thus can control him? Or maybe Denji instills his own sense of worthlessness to her, and thus she begins thinking NOBODY is beneath her, and thus she can't control anyone.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I wonder who Denji's Voice Actor/seiyuu will be, Makima too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

The way I interpret it, the control devil can only control lifeforms that IT considers to be lower. Makima idolized Chainsawman, and thus couldn't control him. Nayuta is a different person though, and will have different views of who is "lower" than she is. I could see it going a bunch of different directions. She already called Denji a doggy, maybe she already thinks he's beneath her, and thus can control him? Or maybe Denji instills his own sense of worthlessness to her, and thus she begins thinking NOBODY is beneath her, and thus she can't control anyone.

Denji seems to have a reasonably healthy sense of self-worth by the end. (Which is why I like the speed translation giving him "gently caress no. No loving way" when he realizes what Kishibe is suggesting... and when Nayuta goes "Woof Woof" at him. Denji isn't anyone's dog in the end.)

Control couldn't think of Chainsaw as something in her power, and that's probably something that carries over, just like the bite.

BFC posted:

Considering Makima was positioned as something of an abusive partner to Denji, keeping him subservient to her as well as constructing an allowed social circle for him, I feel saying Denji "could have wished for something better" is missing the forest from the trees. Denji never frames his stupidity as the reason he couldn't reach Makima; If anything he frames it as the reason he couldn't see (or didn't care) he was being manipulated.

It's not a matter of being clever. It's the fact Denji was broken, and taking the worst life advice at the time.

Makima was abusive, but scenes like the indirect kiss and the movie theater show she still wanted what Pochita said she always wanted. An equal. (We see hints at that in her interactions with Kishibe too. Why else couldn't she control him, and why else would she spare him?)

In that moment, Denji could have anything, and Makima brings up how he saved her. She's putting him in a place to be her equal, or very much not. She could think of him as The Chainsaw Man (who happens to be named Denji, in the same way that the Control Devil is named Makima) or an obstacle to being with the Chainsaw Man, someone she's in position to destroy completely.

And then poor, helpless Denji, at his lowest, thinks back to Quanxi's advice (Quanxi gives the worst life advice), and how much pain thinking has gotten him, and then he takes the path he never should have taken. And in that moment, things are hosed.

Denji just made a request that, in Makima's eyes, says that He Isn't Chainsaw. (Ironically enough, it's something that Pochita did himself, but as said before, Makima does not remotely get Pochita.) A request that means her plan to break him can go forward, no hesitation. Which brings us back to cannibalism, mass death, tragedy, and Denji moving forward again, because he can get over his abuse, while Makima was trapped by hers to the end. (Fortunately, Nayuta seems like she'll have a better experience with humanity.)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

chiasaur11 posted:

I would appreciate guidance on how to purchase these things.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

And then poor, helpless Denji... takes the path he never should have taken. And in that moment, things are hosed.
This feeds the narrative that Denji is, in some way, responsible for Makima's decision to ruin the life she built for him.

If you want to interpret it that way by all means go ahead, but that's the narrative the abused tell themselves in order to hold themselves wrongly accountable for being abused; It would make me genuinely uncomfortable if that was what I was supposed to take from it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So question that has been bugging me, why is it that most devils have a pretty specific non human appearance but the control devil looks human? Why does it take that form specifically and not something more abstract? Like broadly is the point "what can control humans better than humans"? Makima wasn't a hybrid as far as we know and Nayuta definitely isn't a hybrid.

e oh I wonder if family? obligations or responsibility are the greatest form of control is going to be the point of the upcoming arc.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I have a deep and terrible need for the plush Pochita

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

So question that has been bugging me, why is it that most devils have a pretty specific non human appearance but the control devil looks human? Why does it take that form specifically and not something more abstract? Like broadly is the point "what can control humans better than humans"? Makima wasn't a hybrid as far as we know and Nayuta definitely isn't a hybrid.

e oh I wonder if family? obligations or responsibility are the greatest form of control is going to be the point of the upcoming arc.

In general, the friendlier a Devil is towards humanity as a default, the more human they look. Thus Bat and Leech and Power (before she befriended Meowy) just wanting to kill things, Prinz being chill unless provoked, and Angel not bothering either way (until he had people befriend him... twice).

Control is a Devil of humanity. As Conquest of the Four Horsemen, Control depends on humans, and thrives in the social structures only humans can provide. She loves them, and wants to be loved in return. (Notice how Makima's default mind control technique is "You love me and think I'm a good person.") It's only fitting that her form is human.

Chic Trombone posted:

I have a deep and terrible need for the plush Pochita

It's being sold as part of the online Jump Festa, as best as I can find.

It's only 2,200 yen, or about 20 bucks, and you can rev the motor to make him move around on a table.

At that price, it's a safe bet more will be available after this, but you might need to find an importer.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 14, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

I wonder who Denji's Voice Actor/seiyuu will be, Makima too.

I always hear Johnny Yong Bosch as Denji tbh

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nendoroid sneak peak

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1338324625592356864?s=20

Not familiar enough to know when the pre-order is likely to go up, but hopefully not too long. (also, i just realised i missed my chance to preorder the 2B one, alas)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Also one thing I thought worth mentioning, as further evidence atop the Power is great pile, there was that scene where Makima says Power has consumed too much and needs her blood drained.

I had thought at the time it was kind of an odd scene, but looking at the end, it kinda sets up that Makima has some wariness of full power Power.

chiasaur11 posted:

(After all, she was born because Denji and Makima became one flesh.)
This is a weird take but quite fitting for CSM.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I wonder if the next arc will be K-ON but with chainsaws. Makima wanted to get eaten before by Chainsawman, so I wonder if she left specific terms in her contract to only die when eaten. Also since, if I recall correctly, it is established that devils revive in hell, who summoned the control devil in China?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Flair posted:

I wonder if the next arc will be K-ON but with chainsaws. Makima wanted to get eaten before by Chainsawman, so I wonder if she left specific terms in her contract to only die when eaten. Also since, if I recall correctly, it is established that devils revive in hell, who summoned the control devil in China?
If devils die in Hell they're returned to Earth. So it actually makes sense that they'd imprison and control devils/fiends, who also don't want to be sent back since they lose themselves.

I also was musing on how the eaten thing worked earlier. The two big chinks in her armor do seem to have been hinted at.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Remember the tomato devil? It could revive from the seeds, so they had to be destroyed, but burning them was enough. Denji eating her destroyed her without it counting as an attack, so it doesn't trigger her contractual regeneration, which already was weakening.

I don't believe she put in a clause in her contract to be eaten, we don't even see any written contracts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
denji spending several hours watching the poo poo in his toilet bowl, one finger on his ripcord in case it makes any sudden moves

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yes, but what precautions did he take regarding Makima?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Now that it's digital I'm excited there will never be a possibility of spoilers before official release. I manifested this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Finale rocked a tonne, and now we get a part 2. Insanely blessed. And Aki and Himeno are alive and happy and going on hot dates, it's great!