Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Has anyone here taken Pentest+ or CySA+? Did you learn anything? Were they worth the effort, not necessarily in terms of employability but in what you learned and use concepts covered in your job?
I took the CySA+ this year and struggle to remember much. I could see how it could be useful as an intro to the world of corporate security, especially on the compliance and management side of the house, as it dives a bit deeper into regulatory compliance, policies, and government/business frameworks such as TOGAF, COBIT, SABSA, and a handful of other word salad acronyms I've already forgotten. Overall though it feels like a weird cert, a lot of it is rehash of Network+ and Sec+ concepts with a business angle, and a sprinkling of pen testing and forensics.

I'm with you on liking structured learning as I'm an awful study left to my own devices, but this one really didn't do it for me. A big part of it was for me, policy and regulatory stuff, while important and applicable to many jobs, is dry as dirt and I struggled to focus on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Amen, I had some CISSP buddies looking at what I was studying and saying the questions were bullshit. I thought about the trifecta but I am done with CompTIA.
I enjoyed Mike Meyers randomly making GBS threads on CompTIA for covering the dumbest poo poo before he would continue on with a lesson.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

LiquidFriend posted:

I enjoyed Mike Meyers randomly making GBS threads on CompTIA for covering the dumbest poo poo before he would continue on with a lesson.

Speaking of Meyers, I'm going through his a+ course on udemy and this seems like a lot less hard info than Messer's. Maybe because Meyers is a better instructor but I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be missing a lot of stuff for the exam.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Professor Latency posted:

Speaking of Meyers, I'm going through his a+ course on udemy and this seems like a lot less hard info than Messer's. Maybe because Meyers is a better instructor but I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to be missing a lot of stuff for the exam.
Your assumption is fairly accurate. He does hit all the bullet points, but may not explain everything in full detail as you would like. Hit up practice tests, see where you're lacking and get extra study in those areas.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Professor Latency posted:

Yeah I used his for A+ and felt completely unprepared when I started taking practice tests. Ended up having to go through Messer’s to catch up. Did not like Meyers at all.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
His Network+ series is even worse than his A+ and i like Meyers. His vids should be supplemental to other video series or even his own books (which are 1000x better than his videos)

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Double glad I didn't pay full price for this.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I'm taking the practice tests on examcompass for A+ and I feel like Messer's videos are way too brief, non technical, and bullet-point-y compared to the knowledge required to get better than a ~70% average on most of the practice tests. I've watched and taken notes on his entire series on core 2 and I'm only getting a range of 65%-80% on most of the tests.

Are the examcompass questions generally harder than the real ones?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I'm taking the practice tests on examcompass for A+ and I feel like Messer's videos are way too brief, non technical, and bullet-point-y compared to the knowledge required to get better than a ~70% average on most of the practice tests. I've watched and taken notes on his entire series on core 2 and I'm only getting a range of 65%-80% on most of the tests.

Some of the practice tests I took and video test question dumps included a lot of the actual questions from the test.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

dkj posted:

Some of the practice tests I took and video test question dumps included a lot of the actual questions from the test.

The free ones on examcompass? That's worrying, since they seems to often have different answers than the messer video. Why is he so highly recommended then?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What objectives are you struggling with? He does a good job hitting all the objectives but he absolutely breezes by a lot of them so it can be difficult to retain

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

a Loving Dog posted:

What objectives are you struggling with? He does a good job hitting all the objectives but he absolutely breezes by a lot of them so it can be difficult to retain

Mostly just really specific information about exact requirements for various versions of Windows. Stuff like that. I’ve been making tables to get all that stuff memorized but it’s hard to hit every single requirement for every single version and edition of windows. I like his pace otherwise but he seems like he’s breezing over a lot of stuff that the examcompass questions require you to have memorized and a lot of the nitty gritty specifics are blatantly wrong.

I’m just worried that it’s wrong. If examcompass is basically the best questions like said above then a LOT of messers lectures have outdated or bad info. Given how late in the game I am using almost entirely his info we should probably recommend something else that’s more up to date and in depth. I wish people didn’t recommend him so highly if his info is out of date. Oh well, I’m still taking it tonight and I’ll do as well as I can. I guess I’ll double down on examcompass this afternoon. gently caress.

I was really hoping someone was gonna say examcompass was trash or something instead of “yeah this is literally a lot of the test questions” that would have been a relief lol.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 30, 2020

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Mostly just really specific information about exact requirements for various versions of Windows. Stuff like that. I’ve been making tables to get all that stuff memorized but it’s hard to hit every single requirement for every single version and edition of windows. I like his pace otherwise but he seems like he’s breezing over a lot of stuff that the examcompass questions require you to have memorized and a lot of the nitty gritty specifics are blatantly wrong.

I’m just worried that it’s wrong. If examcompass is basically the best questions like said above then a LOT of messers lectures have outdated or bad info. Given how late in the game I am using almost entirely his info we should probably recommend something else that’s more up to date and in depth. I wish people didn’t recommend him so highly if his info is out of date. Oh well, I’m still taking it tonight and I’ll do as well as I can. I guess I’ll double down on examcompass this afternoon. gently caress.

I was really hoping someone was gonna say examcompass was trash or something instead of “yeah this is literally a lot of the test questions” that would have been a relief lol.

examcompass actually isn't too bad so far as an additional resource for review; Just bear in mind that the context of the questions might be the exact opposite of how they will be worded on the actual exam itself - This can be a huge drawback for some folks if they don't factor that part in.

I used it, just not by itself.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Also if you're taking the A+ as a first step into an IT career dont sweat the exam.

The test is lots of bullshit memorization. If you can learn to troubleshoot in an effective manner, think logically, and learn to work well with people you'll be fine in this business.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also if you're taking the A+ as a first step into an IT career dont sweat the exam.

The test is lots of bullshit memorization. If you can learn to troubleshoot in an effective manner, think logically, and learn to work well with people you'll be fine in this business.

That’s a good point. I’m not at all worried about that aspect, I’ve spent many hours reading manpages and self-teaching. I just don’t want to waste 250 bucks if I bomb this test which sucks but honestly isn’t too big of a deal. Back to studying.

Killer_B posted:

examcompass actually isn't too bad so far as an additional resource for review; Just bear in mind that the context of the questions might be the exact opposite of how they will be worded on the actual exam itself - This can be a huge drawback for some folks if they don't factor that part in.

I used it, just not by itself.

Oh, okay. I think I’m doing alright then.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

If you’re still super concerned, I’m sure udemy is having a cyber Monday sale right now and you can pick up Dion Training practice tests for 10 bucks. You get 85-90% on those and you’re good to go

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Welp, about to start in a few minutes.

Not really too worried at this point, but we shall see.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
754 thank gently caress I did not honestly did not expect to pass by the end of that lol.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Grats. Lots of certs are like that. My A+ was from 20...14? Don't remember, but I know its expired. I walked in without having studied anything and fully expected to pass from my existing knowledge, but that is usually the way tests and I work. I did study for CCENT and CAPM though. Did not expect to pass on CAPM, my test date was a couple of days earlier than I thought and I was going to reschedule, signed in to do that and the test was 14 hours away. I went in for the scheduled appointment fully expecting to have to pay to re-take.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

754 thank gently caress I did not honestly did not expect to pass by the end of that lol.

:cheers:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Thank you thread!

Are there any reliable discount codes for compita core 1 by chance? Not trying to drop 200 bucks for round two

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

While I used to recommend CBTnuggets, Udemy just has them beat on who does the courses. 10-20 bucks for lifetime access to a course versus a monthly fee of 65 bucks for many courses. Right now I can only focus on one thing, so this is a no-brainer, and without primary income, a money saver.

It kinda pains me to go away from CBTnuggets, since they absolutely helped in getting my network+, but after seeing what dions course did, for a lot less money...I am a little bitter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We had a couple of CBTnuggets subscriptions at work and while I'm sure there was decent material on there, it also seemed to host an awful lot of filler.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

We had a couple of CBTnuggets subscriptions at work and while I'm sure there was decent material on there, it also seemed to host an awful lot of filler.

makes me uncomfortable for my future career prospects that cognitive behavioral therapy is involved :v:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Having taken the test now I’m 100% confident in Messer’s stuff, he goes into it in just the right amount of detail if you’re actually taking good notes on his lecture and carefully reading his slides.

The exam compass questions in my opinion were at least 30% poo poo, there was basically none of the “memorize the exact system requirements of windows 7 home”

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Having taken the test now I’m 100% confident in Messer’s stuff, he goes into it in just the right amount of detail if you’re actually taking good notes on his lecture and carefully reading his slides.

The exam compass questions in my opinion were at least 30% poo poo, there was basically none of the “memorize the exact system requirements of windows 7 home”
From my understanding, the A+ once tested on dumb poo poo like that and a lot of it got phased out for more relevant stuff. Exam compass probably has a bank of really old questions and some of them are actually questions for the Network+ exam.

Don't waste your time and spend the money for the Jason Dion practice tests.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Are there any good recommendations on which CISSP books and/or practice tests are worth the money? I have to admit that this one scares me a bit due to sheer amount of information.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FlyTB20C posted:

Are there any good recommendations on which CISSP books and/or practice tests are worth the money? I have to admit that this one scares me a bit due to sheer amount of information.

Didn’t do CISSP myself but the 2 resources I see being recommended are the 11th hour CISSP book and the Sunflower guide.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I used the Shon Harris book which was a total slog but helpful, I only read through it once.

Then I followed up with the 11th Hour book as a review, and I used the Sunflower guide as the quick study sheet the couple days before the test.

The most helpful thing for me was building my own Anki deck of flashcards. I was super nervous going in but passed at 101 questions in 80 minutes.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Thanks guys, I'll check them out!

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Anyone know any good resources for the CISSP-ISSAP? I've got the official materials and a couple practice test apps and books, but am very much an audio learner and was hoping for an audiobook or just a course that cheap (free if possible) I can listen to.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I was so depressed when I finished the 220-1002 the last time I took it. Failing a second time is embarrassing.

got 734.

A+ certified.

loving shocked. I feel like I don't even deserve it. However, I'll take it.

Back into the workforce now. :v:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

a Loving Dog posted:

If you’re still super concerned, I’m sure udemy is having a cyber Monday sale right now and you can pick up Dion Training practice tests for 10 bucks. You get 85-90% on those and you’re good to go

I've been using a range of practice exams and Dion's seem to have conflicting information compared to the others. Specifically I had a question on Dion's practice test that had 'DaaS (Desktop as a Service)' listed as the correct answer and DaaS is not a thing that appears anywhere in the 1001/2 objectives

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

freezingprocess posted:

A+ certified.

loving shocked. I feel like I don't even deserve it. However, I'll take it.

I felt the same way when I passed the A+. Good job goon.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm 100% confident on the A+ 1001 material and I've already gotten a hands-on cert from my university that's entirely performance-based (TestOut PC Professional) that covers all the same material, but it seems like I've heard from every single person who's taken a CompTIA Exam that they felt like they were failing the whole time. Is it just how they word the questions?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I'm 100% confident on the A+ 1001 material and I've already gotten a hands-on cert from my university that's entirely performance-based (TestOut PC Professional) that covers all the same material, but it seems like I've heard from every single person who's taken a CompTIA Exam that they felt like they were failing the whole time. Is it just how they word the questions?

For me, 3/4 of the questions felt like out of the 4 possible answers, 2 of them could be the right one. I was always sweating that I knew the answer but was unsure what exactly they were asking.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

TestOut's content is sufficient for exam prep and even prepares you for how questions can be awkwardly phrased. I used the fact sheets/practice questions for A+/Network+/Security+ a few years ago, along with a class which basically went over the memorization stuff. There's definitely some uncertainty due to how they shoehorn some stuff into multiple choice questions, it's pretty much like FCKGW said, but if you know the subject in general and did the prep, you'll be fine. Just rule out the wrong answers and pick the most-right, A+ has a ton of margin for error, anyway, and a good portion of the questions won't be ambiguous enough to evoke doubt.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

FCKGW posted:

For me, 3/4 of the questions felt like out of the 4 possible answers, 2 of them could be the right one. I was always sweating that I knew the answer but was unsure what exactly they were asking.

It seems like most of the questions are like that. It is easy to eliminate 2 possible answers. However the 2 you are left with are usually a matter of opinion.
So frustrating.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FlyTB20C posted:

I liked Boson for practice questions. They're generally way more technical than you get in the actual exam, but the way they ask the questions is closer to the exam than others I've seen, and they also have good explanations for each right/wrong answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

I liked Boson for practice questions. They're generally way more technical than you get in the actual exam, but the way they ask the questions is closer to the exam than others I've seen, and they also have good explanations for each right/wrong answer.

This was my experience as well. WAY more detailed and technical than the real exam but it gets you thinking in the right way for the real test. Plus if you're consistently passing Boson exams you can be sure you'll pass the real one.