Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Use a lam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I thought you said she was running from the police!

No, I said she was on the lam

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I don't know what the question was, but I do know what the answer is.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

site posted:

For some reason the hardest thing to me has always been getting jojo before he kills whatshername. If you do it too early everyone gets mad, if you do it too late jojo kills her, if you don't peel him off before the dad kills him the girl gets pissed and ends up homeless at that gas station way later in the game, and if you're on realistic this all happens within seconds :(

Wait, there's an outcome where Gilbert lives, Jojo dies, and Sandra doesn't end up at the gas station? :aaaaa:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Diggus Bickus posted:

Wait, there's an outcome where Gilbert lives, Jojo dies, and Sandra doesn't end up at the gas station? :aaaaa:

Yep, give the old guy a gun and shoot jojo after the fight starts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah you have to give the dad the gun but then kill jojo before the dad does and they reconcile instead of her leaving. For such a small scene there are a surprising amount of possible outcomes

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's the 'good' ending for sure, but the trouble with it is you need to know it's coming so you can pick up a new pistol and hand it to him, otherwise you'll give him your modded 9mm - and that's just unacceptable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

That's the 'good' ending for sure, but the trouble with it is you need to know it's coming so you can pick up a new pistol and hand it to him, otherwise you'll give him your modded 9mm - and that's just unacceptable.

Your modded 10mm, thank you much. :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The only weapon you need is the blackjack so he can have the pistol

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

site posted:

Yeah you have to give the dad the gun but then kill jojo before the dad does and they reconcile instead of her leaving. For such a small scene there are a surprising amount of possible outcomes
Other way around. The dad has to kill JoJo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You sure? I coulda sworn it's the dad killing him that pisses her off

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't know what the question was, but I do know what the answer is.

It’s the best explosion in the game. Just chuck one down into the subway. Best to do it after non lethally clearing castle Clinton so everybody is mad at you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

site posted:

You sure? I coulda sworn it's the dad killing him that pisses her off

No, the dad has to kill JoJo. The thing thats hard is distracting JoJo so that he doesn't kill either Gilbert or Sandra first. If you land the killing blow Sandra gets mad for some reason.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sandra's an idiot who likes strong men? Or something I don't know. She doesn't believe that her dad will go to any length for her until he actually kills a man. She actually throws a tantrum if dad fights but fails to win, geez.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dang well sorry about the fake news

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

It's helpful to remember Paul's words "Remember we're police". So I shot them all and dropped guns on their bodies, one more case wrapped up.

:lol:

site posted:

Dang well sorry about the fake news

Yeah, I remember capping JoJo to save her Dad feeling guilty and Sandra lost her poo poo

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I haven't played that sequence in awhile but you could probably stun or pepper spray Jojo after combat starts, then get him to a point where he takes enough damage to panic and Dad will mop him up

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

JustJeff88 posted:

How do you know?

It was the polite thing to do.

I have no idea why this screenshot is so dark, nor why my HUD is huge. I've just built a new PC and it's firmly in the 'so advanced it has no loving idea what to do with a 20 year old game' category, although I remember that being a problem with Deus Ex for most of its lifetime.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I remember this too. One of the renderers was complete garbage (D3D?) and the other one was super dark (OpenGL?).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You can use the D3D10 renderer. It works quite well in Windows 10.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Gilbert doesn't actually have to kill Jojo, he just has to have drawn his gun first. you don't have to distract or stun Jojo, you can just shoot him as long as Gilbert has his weapon ready

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For hud scaling you want deus exe

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I just started playing Human Revolution on the PC. I was really hyped for this game, and got it on release, but the stuff I heard about the boss fights bummed me out. Apparently, after sitting on the game long enough, they just gave me the director's cut, though. I added the lighting patch that re-gold-ifies the game, and just got through the first real level in Milwaukee. I spent some time there messing around, saving and reloading, just to get a feel for the different systems before deciding on what I might want to concentrate on in terms of play style. (Thank you to whichever designer decided to give you a room full of computers to let you practice and understand how the hacking system works in a low-risk way; that's a nice touch.)

I'm wondering if there's anything relatively spoiler-free I should know going in; are there any augmentations that are either pointless or trivalize the game, or am I good going in blind? After the encounter at the end of Milwaukee, I am intrigued by the conversation aug, but I could see where that might be either too good or useless. The stealth mods also look neat, and I'm really liking the non-lethal play so far. That tranq rifle is pretty dang fun, even though I'm still trying to figure out the arc. I'm much better with it than I ever was with the crossbow.

Edit: Milwaukee Junction in Detroit, actually, not Milwaukee.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 15, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well the games first part is in Detroit not Milwaukee. You can cheese every boss fight with the Typhoon If you don't want to fight them.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Well the games first part is in Detroit not Milwaukee. You can cheese every boss fight with the Typhoon If you don't want to fight them.

Oh, wow, okay. "Milwaukee Junction" is an area in Detroit. Wow I'm dense.
In my defense, I was pretty sleepy at the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You have enough storage to keep a rocket launcher for the bosses and tranq and/or stun everyone else in the game like in the original

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DrankSinatra posted:

I'm wondering if there's anything relatively spoiler-free I should know going in; are there any augmentations that are either pointless or trivalize the game, or am I good going in blind? After the encounter at the end of Milwaukee, I am intrigued by the conversation aug, but I could see where that might be either too good or useless. The stealth mods also look neat, and I'm really liking the non-lethal play so far. That tranq rifle is pretty dang fun, even though I'm still trying to figure out the arc. I'm much better with it than I ever was with the crossbow.

You're good going in blind. A few augs are sort of worthless, but you'll get a reset about 2/3 of the way though the DC in case you want to respec into something else.

That said, the best augs across all playstyles are are probably:
Sarif Series 8 Energy Converter - Energy Rate Upgrade
Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis - Carrying Capacity 1, 2 & 3; Move/Throw Heavy Objects
Reflex Booster
Icarus Landing System
Cybernetic Leg Prosthesis - Jump Enhancement

The value of the others will probably depend on your approach, but I really recommend Hacking Capture and Stealth because you'll probably be doing a lot of it. Punch through wall has its moments.

edit for clarity

edit 2: if you're a fan at all of the series, try a second run-through with the commentary on. It's often funny and insightful, and shows how much the developers respected the series and had their hearts in the right place, but also (they'll readily admit) how often their reach exceeded their grasp.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 16, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Move throw heavy objects is a great one to work towards early game. Throwing fridges at people is always fun, and if you're creative you can do some really fun poo poo with it. Biggest thing is to not worry too much about maxing exp. Just searching around and doing side quests will net you basically every Aug you want by the endgame.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Minor late game spoiler (gameplay not story): you can pick up turrets and run around with them after hacking them to target enemies.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I haven't played that sequence in awhile but you could probably stun or pepper spray Jojo after combat starts, then get him to a point where he takes enough damage to panic and Dad will mop him up

I absolutely love that people are discovering this bit has variants. I spent so much time experimenting which weapons I could give dad and the various outcomes back in the day. Sadly you can't give him a flamethrower or GEP gun but I think most everything else works, when it doesn't I think JC says something about not having any weapons that a civilian could handle. And yes you can and should give dad a hand with a couple of potshots to make sure he lives, cause JoJo's gun is over-powered.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

you can't give him a flamethrower or GEP gun

Sounds like something JoJo would say. :colbert:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
If only you could give him a LAW.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gaius Marius posted:

Move throw heavy objects is a great one to work towards early game. Throwing fridges at people is always fun, and if you're creative you can do some really fun poo poo with it. Biggest thing is to not worry too much about maxing exp. Just searching around and doing side quests will net you basically every Aug you want by the endgame.

Seconding this, don't grind XP. The only thing XP does is get you more augs. 25% of the augs flat out suck, and another 25% are marginal at best, meaning you'll get all the augs you want by your second visit to Detroit.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Eason the Fifth posted:

Punch through wall has its moments.

Caveat on punching walls- I like it as an aug, but sometimes if you break a wall you automatically snap someone's neck if they are an enemy, and standing on the other side behind it. Can be really obnoxious for a non-lethal playthrough.

That said it's generally worth getting, there must be a half dozen praxis kits hidden behind weak walls. Sure, you can use explosives on most of these walls, but sometimes they are in areas where this would be hard to do or would frag friendlies.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also doing a murderous Kool-Aid Man impression is loving hilarious.

I can’t be the only one who IRL yelled “oh yeah!” when that happened.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jojoinnit posted:

I absolutely love that people are discovering this bit has variants. I spent so much time experimenting which weapons I could give dad and the various outcomes back in the day. Sadly you can't give him a flamethrower or GEP gun but I think most everything else works, when it doesn't I think JC says something about not having any weapons that a civilian could handle. And yes you can and should give dad a hand with a couple of potshots to make sure he lives, cause JoJo's gun is over-powered.

This is the first time I've heard that you can give Renton other guns. This fuckin game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Basic Chunnel posted:

Nope! IIRC Dad chickens out and runs away after firing a few shots. You actually need to pop jojo mostly yourself. It's such a fickle fight that it really does need a quicksave directly beforehand.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Minor late game spoiler (gameplay not story): you can pick up turrets and run around with them after hacking them to target enemies.

I had no idea you could do that lol

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

What other game let's you eat 20 bags of soy chips infront
of a homeless child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What other game allows you to simultaneously inhale the entire contents of ten cigarettes packets before promptly dying?