Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Faffel posted:

Danger is sexy.

someone said "gently caress war" and one thing led to another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hell of a ricochet.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nebakenezzer posted:

I thought the Panther had good ground pressure, at least, so it surprises me it wasn't terribly good in mud. Was it a traction problem?

The big problem with the Panther (and Tiger, and a other vehicles with a similar suspension) was that the road wheels were inter-leaved:

Mud - or gravel, or ice - would build up and jam in-between the road wheels.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 14, 2020

White Coke
May 29, 2015

bewbies posted:

why did the dude have a live 203 round at the ntc?

Attempted heroic sacrifice.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmegin posted:

This is sort of the mirror universe of chuds saying 'you should watch this 2 hour PragerU video' and then getting annoyed when people don't want to do that, though? Not talking about it at all was the better bet but that's kind of off the table when someone posts that unless you think the whole thread is going to spontaneously practice omerta and just ignore the post altogether.

O yeah we're agreed. And there's a reason I watched it and then didn't post it because while it's an interesting take on the bombing and is well-researched, it requires you to watch 2+ hours and that's not great for conversation.

He generally does good research and I watch his poo poo anyway, and I think he did a pretty good job about advocating for his argument. Which, specifically, isn't bombs and US bad eeerrrrr, but more like the "simplistic narrative about the bombs being dropped to (in the views of the US) save lives at the time of the bombings is over-simplified and we should examine it."

It's 2 hours long cause he's going over primary documents. I ain't never arguing for his point, even if I think it's interesting ; I just want people to engage with it in good faith.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Youtube's Nazi algorithm suggested an interesting video for once, Mussolini speaking English in the early 30s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-PuuKYn8c&t=512s

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If anyone hasn’t answered how WW2 reenactment work seriously here’s a typical weekend.

Friday night meet and greet with family dinner. Set up camp. Safety checks and equipment demos.

Saturday Morning Afternoon. March around playing small unit hide and seek with blanks. The vehicles typically didn’t take a major part in this due to safety. Mostly ambushes from machine gun pits and similar.

Saturday Night. Debauched drinking and eating time period field food. I don’t remember a lot of these.

Sunday Afternoon. Public battle. Set up a very staged battle with a simple plan. My favorite I took part in was US paratrooper patrol running into German ambush. US tank with foot counter attack forcing German armored car and foot withdraw.

The people running the event would charge like $10 to cover fuel costs for the vehicles and ammo for the people taking part in the Sunday battle.

Good times. Also back in the day we would bring out a lot of vets from all sides to spend the day talking and such. I got to meet a Russian marine from Stalingrad and a German Uboat sailor besides a ton of Americans.

However the hobby is rife with actual nazis and I don’t care to take part in it anymore. Still collect US uniforms and gear that gets brought out for Halloween.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

I thought the Panther had good ground pressure, at least, so it surprises me it wasn't terribly good in mud. Was it a traction problem?

Spoiler:The panther's transmission broke during the trials :lol:

Traction was the worst among all tanks the British tested, with the possible exception of the Tiger which was rated as "very poor" with no other commentary.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This isn’t an ADMIN VOICE RED STAR DIRECTIVE but just a friendly suggestion from shitposter cyrano who reads this thread:

Maybe we all make a gentlegoon’s agreement that if we are going to post a feature movie length YouTube for discussion, the person posting it should make a bit of an effort post about what it is, what it argues, what evidence they marshal, etc?

Because no one is going to watch a 2hr video just to argue about it online but EVERYONE will argue the topic they think it’s about.

Kind of like how some discussion / politics / etc threads have rules against just empty quoting an article without providing your own thoughts as a conversation starter.

Edit: I mean, gently caress, abstracts exist for articles and books for a reason.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LingcodKilla posted:

However the hobby is rife with actual nazis and I don’t care to take part in it anymore.

Same here.

(I still collect Soviet stuff, but I haven't been to an event since 2012. And post 2016? No drat way.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cessna posted:

Same here.

(I still collect Soviet stuff, but I haven't been to an event since 2012. And post 2016? No drat way.)

Yeah. There’s a local US mil vehicle club that takes part in all the parades in county I’m considering approaching to march with. I just won’t do anything with German units. If you think it can’t be that bad you gonna be sorely disappointed like I was after a few years.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LingcodKilla posted:

I just won’t do anything with German units. If you think it can’t be that bad you gonna be sorely disappointed like I was after a few years.

In my experience German groups are split between:

(A) People who are big History nerds who just want to get into things and don't care who they dress like.
(B) People who are into German gear because they built too many Panzer models when they were kids.
(C) Assholes who want a Fourth Reich.

I was in group A, and in retrospect that was too much. And the fact that there's too much (that is, any) of B or C just completely ruins it.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
can someone talk about "operation starvation"?

why are you talking about the blockade of japan like it wasn't something that was already happening? Were there plans to strengthen it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Greg12 posted:

Were there plans to strengthen it?

Yep. It was one of the proposed ways of dealing with Japan: enforcing a much tighter blockade, planting so many mines in the internal waterways of the Home Islands you could walk from one end to the other without getting your feet wet, and just letting Japan starve to death.

The existing blockade didn't have the full effort of the USN behind it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cythereal posted:

The existing blockade didn't have the full effort of the USN behind it.

Which is really saying something, considering how effective US anti-shipping efforts were.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cessna posted:

In my experience German groups are split between:

(A) People who are big History nerds who just want to get into things and don't care who they dress like.
(B) People who are into German gear because they built too many Panzer models when they were kids.
(C) Assholes who want a Fourth Reich.

I was in group A, and in retrospect that was too much. And the fact that there's too much (that is, any) of B or C just completely ruins it.

I'm automatically leery of anyone who collects more Nazi memorabilia than other countries of WWII. A reenactor with an American, Russian, and German uniform is dedicated. A reenactor with a Wehrmacht uniform, an SS uniform, and no others is a neo-Nazi until proven otherwise.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chamale posted:

I'm automatically leery of anyone who collects more Nazi memorabilia than other countries of WWII. A reenactor with an American, Russian, and German uniform is dedicated. A reenactor with a Wehrmacht uniform, an SS uniform, and no others is a neo-Nazi until proven otherwise.

Soviet reenacting should get a LOT more attention. It's so much cheaper! Their stuff is readily available and costs about 1/2 to 1/3 of it's German equivalent on a piece-by-piece basis, and you need less of it!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Similar to focussing strategic bombing in Germany on fuel production, only quite late in the war was it appreciated how you go from being really lovely and annoying to a country to managing to cause actual structural collapse of a society from the air.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 14, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alchenar posted:

Similar to focussing strategic bombing in Germany on fuel production, only quite late in the war was is appreciated how you go from being really lovely and annoying to a country to managing to cause actual structural collapse of a society from the air.

One of the neat things about having a pretty wide-ranging military gun collection is that you can see this moving in opposite directions in real time.

I've got an early 1942 Mosin that looks like it was chiseled out of barstock by a drunk. A Khyber Pass gunsmith would grimace at it. I've also got a pre-war K98k that has an impressive level of surface machining and general fit and finish.

Meanwhile, I've got a '44 dated sniper mosin (different production line, better QC) that is in fit and finish terms the equal of anything you'll find made anywhere else in the world and a '44 dated G/K43 that is literally a rough forging that had the bearing surfaces machined out. You can see forging scale under the finish, it's wild.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cessna posted:

Soviet reenacting should get a LOT more attention. It's so much cheaper! Their stuff is readily available and costs about 1/2 to 1/3 of it's German equivalent on a piece-by-piece basis, and you need less of it!

Suggestion if you're poor as dirt but want to re-enact Nazis: be a Brandenburger disguised as a Red Army soldier. It's cheap and you get to be a special Nazi super soldier and there's no fear of photos of you circulating on the internet dressed as a Nazi. Other re-enactors will just love you!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

Suggestion if you're poor as dirt but want to re-enact Nazis:

There is a Volkssturm group that goes to big events on the East Coast that does it right. You must be over 50 to join. They're absolutely meticulous as far as historical detail. For example, civilian period-appropriate clothing is required, but it can't be NEW clothing - it has to be worn 1940s vintage and appropriate clothing, preferably with subtly sewn repairs or a patches or the like. They also have a rule for the maximum number of "military" items per event - so if it is "three" you might bring a rifle, armband*, and greatcoat, everything else must be civilian.

They also have good "rules of engagement." Think of things like "only bring five blanks for the whole event" or "shoot a couple of times if you like, but surrender at the first plausible opportunity (unless you're against the Russians)" or "if possible don't bring enough food to events" - and "remember at all times that you'd rather be home."

This is the sort of reenacting I like, because it's a direct "gently caress off" to the assholes who want to think they're uber-elite SS stormtroopers. If I ever do it again I'll look up this group.

* Volkssturm armband:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
anyone know a repository of good photos for late 40s/early 50s Germany, especially Berlin? No later than '53 ideally. I've found a couple of films on british pathe, but some high quality still photos would be good too. This is relevant to the thread because of the post-war fallout and all the political struggles between the occupying powers are interesting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ice Fist posted:

Which is really saying something, considering how effective US anti-shipping efforts were.

Operation Starvation also proposed taking Formosa/Taiwan in most permutations, to give the sub fleet an even closer base to Japan for resupply.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Bundesarchiv.de, search by year.

Link.

On the top, "Jahre von" and "Jahre bis" are the start/end years of the search.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ChubbyChecker posted:

Youtube's Nazi algorithm suggested an interesting video for once, Mussolini speaking English in the early 30s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-PuuKYn8c&t=512s

This type of poo poo always blows my mind. Like my first thought is “lmfao eat poo poo you loving dweebs why did you think that haircut was cool you nazi fuckwit you were Reichskanzler for ONE DAY and were so cowardly you murdered your own kids before yourself”

Then I remember that while this was recorded my grandfather had been pressganged into the war against the USSR and my grandma was in a concentration camp and remember nazis are loving scary.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

This isn’t an ADMIN VOICE RED STAR DIRECTIVE but just a friendly suggestion from shitposter cyrano who reads this thread:

Maybe we all make a gentlegoon’s agreement that if we are going to post a feature movie length YouTube for discussion, the person posting it should make a bit of an effort post about what it is, what it argues, what evidence they marshal, etc?

Because no one is going to watch a 2hr video just to argue about it online but EVERYONE will argue the topic they think it’s about.

Kind of like how some discussion / politics / etc threads have rules against just empty quoting an article without providing your own thoughts as a conversation starter.

Edit: I mean, gently caress, abstracts exist for articles and books for a reason.

I have a question, what about videos that someone just wants to share because they seem cool or otherwise interesting and just want to share so others can be entertained but not with any particular intent to discuss anything about it, would that be fine?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Wasn't the US planning to air drop herbicide on Japan to destroy their rice crops?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

White Coke posted:

Wasn't the US planning to air drop herbicide on Japan to destroy their rice crops?

And massive amounts of chemical weapons on Kyushu during the amphibious landings set for November 1945.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

White Coke posted:

Yep, testing during the war for this eventually ended up being used later in the creation of Agent Orange.

It was also planned to hit rice fields with mustard gas to contaminate them, since mustard agents leave a oily residue especially when exposed to water.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

instead of watching the two hour prageru youtube video you should watch the 90 minute gundam film that one poster linked forty pages ago

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Alchenar posted:

Similar to focussing strategic bombing in Germany on fuel production, only quite late in the war was it appreciated how you go from being really lovely and annoying to a country to managing to cause actual structural collapse of a society from the air.

Turns out that while factory machines don't exactly burn (or explode) easily, fuel stocks are quite agreeable to getting all torchy and storage vessels don't like getting holes poked in them.

Also didn't it turn out that hitting infrastructure actually caused more of a setback than originally believed?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Cessna posted:

Bundesarchiv.de, search by year.

Link.

On the top, "Jahre von" and "Jahre bis" are the start/end years of the search.

I shoulda said "free" too. The highest quality free stuff on there is only 800 px in its widest dimension

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stairmaster posted:

instead of watching the two hour prageru youtube video you should watch literally anything else

Fixed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I was going through the old cold war thread looking for posts to highlight, and Cyrano wrote this in 2012 and I never really forgot about it because of his characteriztion of Hermann Goering:

quote:

The short version is that before the war, when the army was exploring the possibility of airborne operations like just about every other country on the planet, Goering thew a giant loving hissy fit and said that any German airborn units had to be part of the Luftwaffe because they had something to do with airplanes. No compromise here, either - you couldn't have Luftwaffe aircrews flying army dudes over the drop zone, they had to all be Luftwaffe. Since Goering was really good at screaming and crying until he got his way he got handed his own personal little mini-army inside the German airforce.

Fast forward to 1941. Germany does a 100% airborne invasion of the Greek island of Crete and, while successful, suffers some loving appalling casualties. They were bad enough that Hitler nixed any future airborne operations and the German airborne units basically became simple light infantry. This is how they operated for the rest of the war. So, you had an entire branch of the Luftwaffe that existed only to be a conventional light infantry force and which operated in conjunction with the regular army. Why the gently caress didn't they just fold the now not-so-airborne into the army? Because politics.

It gets even more stupid. Using the same " b-b-b-but AIRPLANES! " logic the Luftwaffe managed to get (essentially) all AA crews folded into their organization as well. Want to shoot at an airplane? Gotta be in the Luftwaffe to do that. Those famous FlaK 88s? Airforce crews. One little problem: it quickly became really loving apparent that those FlaK 88s were REALLY loving good at blowing up tanks. So, now you had airforce guys and their (mostly) airforce-only AA pieces deploying with the regular army as combo AA/AT units, because the regular 'ol FlaK 88 was designed so that the main gun could depress down to the horizontal.

As for the specialized weapons, the most egregious example of this is the FG42. It was initially designed with some REALLY retarded post-Crete specifications to be a combination gun that would simultaneously fill the role of battle rifle, SMG, and LMG. Truth be told it was good at none of that, but the Army thought the design had some merits as a really light mag fed LMG, similar to how the US used the BAR and how the Brits used the Bren. Of course Goering wasn't going to have those poors in the Army paying with his ~*~*Limited Special Collector's Edition Luftwaffe Preorder Only*~*~ gun so he cock blocked that every which way he could, with the end result that he was given gently caress near zero production support from the Army and a TINY number of FG42s were ever built. In all fairness that was probably a good thing for the Army.

There were a few other random examples of this having to do with rifle variants and pistols and I think a few light mortar designs, but the FG42 is the most famous example and the one I remember the best.

This wasn't just the Luftwaffe being retards either. THe Army did its damndest to keep the G/K43 and StG44 out of the hands of both the SS and the Luftwaffe infantry units as well.

Seriously, the worst Cold Warrior inter-service rivalry dickhead the US ever produced has absolutely nothing on the Germans, and I'm including all that post-WW2 Army/USAF/Navy dickwaving over missile development.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have good reading on the First Congo war? I'm mostly curious how all the various players got mixed up with it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Is there any way to win a war without air support, or is it possible to lose a war when you dominate the airspace? If not, the most recent posts are making it look like that was a huge reason for the outcome of WWII. So what changed? Why did Vietnam, OEF, etc. not really depend on airspace? Or am I missing something here?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm still kind of amazed that out of nowhere prager U made the single best "causes of the civil war" video of all time

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 15, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bewbies posted:

I'm still kind of amazed that out of nowhere prager U made the single best "causes of the civil war" video of all time

It's their exactly one correct video, which annoyingly prevents me from just saying that everything on that channel is bad and wrong.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

poisonpill posted:

Is there any way to win a war without air support, or is it possible to lose a war when you dominate the airspace? If not, the most recent posts are making it look like that was a huge reason for the outcome of WWII. So what changed? Why did Vietnam, OEF, etc. not really depend on airspace? Or am I missing something here?

Wars have some kind of goal. The Allies' goal in World War II was, roughly, to stop Germany from being a threat. That can be accomplished by burning their cities from the air, although they needed a ground occupation afterwards. A war like Vietnam where the goal is to establish a new form of government and change the hearts and minds of the people is different. You can't win that war by dropping napalm from the skies, although the Americans certainly tried their hardest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what the gently caress was up with the grip on the FG42, i feel like it was either designed by someone who had never seen a gun before, or someone with a severely deformed shooting hand