Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do they know that isn’t Brian McCann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Cohen has the money.

Its kind of refreshing to sign a guy without Jeff Wilpon texting reporters under the negotiating table in real time. No endless weeks of “a deal is close per sources” articles and tweets.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There's obviously a budget if they didn't sign Realmuto instead.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
4 years 40 million is definitely an overpay, but its not so much money that it should really matter if Cohen is serious about spending. Still weird to give that many years to somebody over 30 with a track record as limited as McCann.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's not a terrible move if McCann's White Sox numbers are legit, $10M for ~3 WAR a season is pretty decent from a catcher

but I really don't understand doing this before Realmuto has signed, unless the rumors are that Realmuto is going to get so much that a) he's out of the Mets' price range and b) he's going to force up the price of every other catcher too

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
If the Mets had decided not to pursue Realmuto, why would they wait to lock up McCann? It just gives McCann more leverage, since not signing Realmuto leaves McCann as the only upgrade at catcher left on the board for the Mets.

Strasburgs UCL fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 12, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mets should've signed JT.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wasn't mccann giolito's personal catcher?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So who has a whole at catcher now?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1337607292892680193?s=21

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

wasn't mccann giolito's personal catcher?

ya and he caught the no-hitter. Grandal gets all the credit for pitch framing but Giolito just seemed to vibe way better with McCann. He’s cool as hell and I wish the White Sox coulda kept him but I don’t blame him for gettin that contract so he could play every day.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1337889572651470854?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
That seems like a good hire. Ugh the days of :mets: may be nearing an end, even if they wilt remain close to our hearts forever.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

elentar posted:

That seems like a good hire. Ugh the days of :mets: may be nearing an end, even if they wilt remain close to our hearts forever.

The days of :mets: will never end.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vizquel is a member of the Hispanic Heritage Baseball Museum Hall of Fame and the Cleveland Indians Hall of Fame :eng101:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Poque posted:

Don't worry, the Phillies seem to have become the new :mets:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Charley Pride died.

Much more famous as a musician, he actually played a bit of Minor League ball. His nephew, Curtis Pride, bounced around for a few teams in MLB.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

This led me to see what other Cleveland players are available on Cameo. People are paying Kevin Plawecki $29 to talk to them. Kenny Lofton is $75, which makes me wonder how much he got paid to hang out at the Kingsford Booth at Playball Park for a couple hours.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

elentar posted:

I'll believe it when I see it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1338291508659761153?s=20

the Cleveland Wild Things

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
The Cleveland Baseball Team

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
do it, cowards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Better snap up "Baseball Team" before it's taken.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spiders is so obvious and perfect that we know they won’t pick it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why would you want to name your team after the worst team of all time

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why would you want to name your team after the worst team of all time

they already have the browns so

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the cleveland ravens

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

they already have the browns so

the cleveland Lou Browns

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Poque posted:

Yep. I'm a Clippers fan and I thought new ownership and a competent front office would change things but as anyone who watched the playoffs can see they are still and will always be the Clippers.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Cleveland River Fires

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cleveland Lebrons

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cleveland Rocks.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a major league baseball team should be named the Bats

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If they do Cleveland Spiders I'm absolutely buying a cap

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the Cleveland Dudes

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If they become the Cleveland Spiders I might have to start liking the team.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bite 'em Spiders!!!!!

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Guardians is the best, I think. Relevant to the city and stuff, won't scare off people with arachnophobia.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Fighting Mongooses that's a cool name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it should so obviously be the spiders they are going to spend millions of dollars on a marketing guy to come with a name so stupid we can't even fathom it like The Dignity