Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Francia & Gunn: Partners in crime. Death has claimed Francia's beloved Gunn, however, a ritual by which the elusive garden serpent's blood spilt on the remains of the damned will tie the dead to the mortal plane for a short while, allowing the pair to be reunited once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Entries looking good everyone. We've still got a few more we're waiting on,

readingatwork, Flavius Aetass, sigma 6 I have your names inscribed on slips of paper, ready to be fed to a candle flame made from the fat of a hanged man which burns before my alter of thorn and bone. You must send this letter to ten other people submit art before the night is over or be cursed forever!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Didn't have the time to do something too elaborate but here you go.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 16, 2020

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
is my art good

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cheese Thief posted:

is my art good

It's in the wrong thread. What you need is the daily drawings and doodles thread. But for starters, you need to clip more carefully, if nothing else.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908678

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Angrymog posted:

It's in the wrong thread. What you need is the daily drawings and doodles thread. But for starters, you need to clip more carefully, if nothing else.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908678

Oops! Sorry not great at navigating. That said NWS so I figured it was perverted stuff I didn't want to see (edit: but it's not like that. NWS means not work safe right?). I don't draw much anyway, but thanks for the direction. I was trying to to make fine Meme art

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cheese Thief posted:

Oops! Sorry not great at navigating. That said NWS so I figured it was perverted stuff I didn't want to see (edit: but it's not like that. NWS means not work safe right?). I don't draw much anyway, but thanks for the direction. I was trying to to make fine Meme art

It's got that tag so that you know you're allowed to post NWS in it, not that it has to be NWS. There is also a fan art thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3943694 which might also be a good home for fine meme art.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Death in the garden? A day late and a dollar short.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Alright Sigma, I'll let you slide in under the wire since I ambitiously tried to do all the critiques last night, and ran out of steam about 3/4 through. Why is talking about art so hard?!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for participating. Your work is great and distressingly thought provoking. I'll get my critique and winner declaration out tonight/tomorrow morning. (gotta hex Flavious first)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
NOW IS THE TIME FOR JUDGEMENT!

Lovely choice for a still life. I appreciate the balance of the arrangement, how the curves of the jaw bone and flower move together at the top but then diverge into opposites that curve towards each other at the bottom. It gives a very subtle ying-yang impression that vibes well with the theme. Nice use of line and color, but my criticism would be that some of the blacks on the jawbone seem kind of stuck between scratchwork and solid fill. Also the background, while a pretty color, does seem like a bit of an afterthought.

I think of fall as a wet season, so I'm really feeling the medium. Excellent use of color; it's clear and vibrant, autumnal without being muddy. That little touch of blue in the pine is stunning. I enjoy the low perspective, how it sort of smothers you in forest with the leaves, branches, and trees all elongated and staring down out at you. And I like the little narrative of the birds high up in the trees on the left, you clearly on the ground, and the cat just stepping out of frame. Death in this garden has a specific culprit. But that being said, the cat leaving frame kind of fights the crowging sense you get from everything else which weakens the feeling a bit.

Rick Perry shows us the future liberals want. This is great. Maybe I've just had to sit through too much of the Tinkerbell media empire, but the idea of an older, witchy fairy poisoning some rich bastard's (who else would have a wrought iron skull fence?!) flowers fills me with glee. I love the red/black/pink colorway in general and there's something delightfully Halloween in how you've used it here; the ombre and the fuzziness make it look like haunted house lighting, all it needs is a strobe. Similarly the acid green magic makes a fun effect that stands out well. I think your weak points are in the details. Witch fairy's character design is a bit generic, and her body proportions are a little awkward, coming off more like a doll than a person. Also she appears to be pouring magic out of a paint bucket witch visually cues you expect an external change, rather than an internal one.

So I'm struggling with this one a bit. Am I supposed to take this image as your piece, or is it a record of a live installation piece? Because I can't say I love it as a piece in it's own right, but as an installation it's much more interesting. In that context it's like you've made some kind of grindhouse horror film for a botanical audience and the grass and the rose bush are excited film-goers. I wish you'd pushed it more in that direction and cut all the versions into a short film. You have a cool idea here and you should keep playing around with it.

It's like a funfetti deathshead. I dig it. Love the hour-glass shape in the composition, and how the pointillism adds to that by making everything seem like particles draining down towards the skeleton. Also how the flair on base of the tree trunks makes a set of teeth out of the positive space, echoing the skeletons grin. I do think the skeleton needs to either be a little lower down or better integrated into the line of particles coming from the trees; there's some clear gaps in that transition which make it seem like an afterthought. My biggest issue, though, is the
intense Easter green you used in the background. It just looks weird to me with the fall foliage (maybe my brain just wants it be a little more yellow to invoke an irradiated landscape rather than an autumnal one...)

Rules forbid me from passing judgement on anything but the art, so I can't take your writing into account. But you're in luck because I loving love this. I'm just a sucker for a good, graphic, monochrome print. I love the combination of fine lines and chunky shadowing, and how the setting seems some where between an interior and exterior space giving it a mystical, transitional feeling. But I don't think the posing of the woman is quite right; your upper body can't be in a perfect profile like that if your hips are sideways. I applaud the effort to get away from a basic kneeling figure, but this one needed a little tweaking.

Giving me Honey I Shrunk the Kids flashbacks with this one. I love the simple effectiveness of this. I can't tell if I'm looking at predator or prey here, but it doesn't really matter. It's all about the tension in those huge eyes, and the claustrophobic framing and the way the grass curves up like teeth just enhances the intensity. Your use of color is stunning. I'm particularly fond of how the little red in the eyes picks up the splatter. My only issue is there's maybe too much of the blue. It kind reads more like facepaint than shading in some parts.

I was anticipating a skull IN a houseplant. What is this madness? Definitely loving the bold, graphic nature of this one. I know you were using this as a light study, so I really like the texture you got out of the skull and plants with that. The cactus and skull in particular have some excellent subtle color work that really adds to their depth. Problems would be the just ok pot and soil, and how it's all floating in a blank void. I think it'd be stronger with a table.

sigma 6 posted:

Death in the garden? A day late and a dollar short.

Dead serious, every time I try and critique this, this song starts playing in my head It's a great face and I'm impressed by how much expression you put into her eyes, but think you forgot to put some bones in that hand holding the rose. I'd have more to say, but Gerard Way keeps breaking my chain of thought.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
And now having stared at these for three loving days, your winner is - void_serfer

void_serfer posted:

Francia & Gunn: Partners in crime. Death has claimed Francia's beloved Gunn, however, a ritual by which the elusive garden serpent's blood spilt on the remains of the damned will tie the dead to the mortal plane for a short while, allowing the pair to be reunited once again.

for the best combination of good art and pandering to my specific tastes!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Congratulations void_serfer and thanks there wolf for a really nice challenge and critique!

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Pet Portraits and Custom Commissions

Doll House Ghost posted:

Congratulations void_serfer and thanks there wolf for a really nice challenge and critique!

I second this. Had a lot of fun!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the crits!

As we say in the other dome: proooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooompt!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

there wolf posted:

And now having stared at these for three loving days, your winner is - void_serfer

for the best combination of good art and pandering to my specific tastes!

Wow! Thanks so much, this means a lot!

Thank you for the pointers on positioning. I have a habit of finding the "voice" of my work halfway through the process, making adjustments a bit more challenging, but I need to see that criticism to become the artist I want to be. I'll have my prompt for y'all tomorrow, and thank you all for your hard work and incredible entries. So much drat talent everywhere!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Alright folks, so my prompt is Robots/Deus Ex Machina.

Sky's the limit with this subject, as you can go from Wall-E to Gundam and anything in between. It can also be a cyborg, or an evil sentient Roomba! Have fun with it, and get weird please.

Sign-up Deadline: Friday, November 27th

Due on Sunday, December 13th

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 21, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

void_serfer posted:

Sky's the limit with this subject, as you can go from Wall-E to Gundam and anything in between. It can also be a cyborg, or an evil sentient Roomba! Have fun with it, and get weird please.

I found this a couple of days too late to hop on the last one, but now I'm here, on the ground floor. I shall participate, good sir and/or madame!

Mar Gar
Oct 30, 2019

Sentient AI seeking human companionship
Heck yes I am ready to draw some robots!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
yep in

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

void_serfer posted:

Oh this should be fun. Count me in.

Thanks for the crit. I have a soft spot for goth poo poo. Spent a couple of years doing visuals for the local goth night and uh ... even drew the drat the entry at a goth bar ... so ... there ya go. Never was a fan of My Cheimical Romance but definitely felt like a Sisters of Mercy kind of image. Fact is, she was one of my former students and the photo was some random post she recently made.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 21, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Beep boop. Robot time.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I'm in I'm in

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I would like to draw the robots, please.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm in for some robots.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'll try some robots!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I will join this

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Alright, I'll make this babbys first artdome entry.

I have a stupid scene in my head that needs to get out.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sign-up is now closed!

Can't wait to see the entries from these participants!:

piL
Mar Gar
Sitting Here
sigma 6
Angrymog
Doll House Ghost
Zonko_T.M.
Krispy Wafer
Tree Bucket
Truman Peyote
Trabant

Entries are due by Sunday, December 13th @ 11:59 PM PST

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 10, 2020

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Bobot.

Media: Realistic Paint Studio

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Submitting early so I don’t tinker with it anymore.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Doll House Ghost posted:

Bobot.

Media: Realistic Paint Studio

I love this.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Submitting early so I don’t tinker with it anymore.

Damnit now I want to make a whole line of preschool books based on R rated properties. I may make that my prompt if I ever win again.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh goddamn it, I forgot.

Still gonna try though.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

A Robot
Drawn on my tablet
At 3 in the morning, aagh

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 13, 2020

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I didn't end up devoting much time to it but here's what I've got.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
We’re not very respectful of robots, are we...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That’s got a serious existential New Yorker magazine vibe.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Calling this one American Cybergothic :v:

Linocut print using oil ink on mulberry paper. Sorry for the photo instead of a scan -- it's very much not dry in the least, so a scanner is a no-go.