Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Crocoduck posted:

I dunno how to edit this image to make it smaller, but if you follow this link: https://i.imgur.com/2ryTcM3.jpeg

KANEDAAAAAAA!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Wallet posted:

If you use
code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/2ryTcM3.jpg[/timg]
instead of
code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/2ryTcM3.jpg[/timg]
the CSS will do it for you :ghost:.

Also I have literally no idea what I'm looking at in that picture but I am not a bonsai.

Oh cool, I learned something today.

It's am metric shitton of thread grafts that are being used to very specifically create new branching on field grown japanese maples.

Ok Comboomer posted:

KANEDAAAAAAA!!!

Ok, I lost it at that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Crocoduck posted:

It's am metric shitton of thread grafts that are being used to very specifically create new branching on field grown japanese maples.

Ga drat I want to see what that looks like eventually

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

Jestery posted:

Speaking of which, I was happy enough with everything in string that I din the wire thing , with actual wire this time, I like this workflow and I'm happy with the prune and shape I did

I had a little peak under the skirt and there is heaps and heaps of new root growth (some aerial) very closese to the ground so I wrapped it back up and will continue with my routine

Nice, I like the opening up of the tree's structure with wire. This is the root over brick/rock bonsai, right?

Crocoduck posted:

:stonkhat: my god, that's impressive.

fuzzy_logic posted:

Excellent snipe.

I need to know more about this fat gently caress on the right

It's a Ficus microcarpa (Tigerbark fig) owned by the local club's president.
It had been pruned within a couple weeks prior to the show so not all of the new flush of leaves had emerged yet. It created a really dramatic proportion!

Dude Sweet fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 14, 2020

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
I've had a busy few weeks!

Repotted old mate:

Into a pot by Tracey Francis from Murrumbung Ceramics:

Tore down the shed and reclaimed the wood from its frame:

And so my bonsai area progressed from this:

To this:

Here's a terrible video walk-by of my trees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlv3GlTthyk

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Really naturalistic branch structure. I like the shape of the second pot better, but I think the earthen color and texture is a bit too heavy for the tree. It's a really nice little guy!

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

Crocoduck posted:

Really naturalistic branch structure. I like the shape of the second pot better, but I think the earthen color and texture is a bit too heavy for the tree. It's a really nice little guy!

Thank you! I love this little guy.

I think next time I'll go for a pot that's a bit more muted, in a more reddish colour.
Something like one of these:

https://www.murrumbungstudioceramics.com.au/product-page/round-container-20-x-6-5cm-by-tracey-francis

https://www.murrumbungstudioceramics.com.au/product-page/round-container-243-18-x-5-5cm-by-sue-mcfarland

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
I'd prefer to see it in something a little more colorful to bring out the foliage, but that's just me. It's a lovely tree in any pot. :)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Dude Sweet posted:

Nice, I like the opening up of the tree's structure with wire. This is the root over brick/rock bonsai, right?

That is correct, I decided i just wanted a little more structure in my plant

It's been adorable watching the new leaves come in

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Dude Sweet posted:

I've had a busy few weeks!

Here's a terrible video walk-by of my trees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlv3GlTthyk

Loving the natives, and the ambiance

Somehow it sounds exactly like my backyard

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

Crocoduck posted:

I'd prefer to see it in something a little more colorful to bring out the foliage, but that's just me. It's a lovely tree in any pot. :)

Thanks! I appreciate the input, will consider. :)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Crocoduck posted:

I'd let it grow wild this year and strike some cuttings. I'm doing the same for my deciduous trees. In a year or two you'll be able to use them for thread grafts and root grafts and start really improving branch structure.

I dunno how to edit this image to make it smaller, but if you follow this link: https://i.imgur.com/2ryTcM3.jpeg

you can see how the Japanese start up the primary branching on their deciduous trees.

Hahaha it took me a good minute to figure out WTF was going on here. That is insane/awesome.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

So I've figured out that the maasive volunteer tree in my front yard that emerged five years ago is in fact not some kind of sugar maple, but instead a Liquidambar (Sweet gum). I've left all the lower branches on as long as possible to promote health and taper, but at some point it'll be time to prune them as the top canopy develops.

I know liquidambar are used for bonsai ((are the american ones?)) So I was thinking of starting some air layers this spring on the thicker branches. Does anyone have any experience/advice with them? The mother tree is ab absolute monster in terms of vigor, but the leaf size is huge so I'm hoping they dwarf well otherwise I would need an absolutely massive tree to achieve appropriate scale.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hubis posted:

Hahaha it took me a good minute to figure out WTF was going on here. That is insane/awesome.

I didn't even know that kind of grafting was a thing so I was extra confused.

I don't know nothin' 'bout 'nothin but this is an incredibly handsome little tree. The size of the new pot looks much better suited to it.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Hubis posted:

I know liquidambar are used for bonsai ((are the american ones?)) So I was thinking of starting some air layers this spring on the thicker branches. Does anyone have any experience/advice with them? The mother tree is ab absolute monster in terms of vigor, but the leaf size is huge so I'm hoping they dwarf well otherwise I would need an absolutely massive tree to achieve appropriate scale.

Liquidamber smells like rancid piss and turpentine if you cut it. Also, are you sure it's not a horse chestnut?

ed: apparently what I call horse chestnut is actually liquidamber, ignore me, I learned a thing today

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 15, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just moved to South San Francisco, zone 10a/10b. I've got an apartment with a south-facing balcony and a shady porch on the north side. I found a giant branch of a jade plant broken off from some of the landscaping on the day I moved in, so I've got that stuck in a pot to take root, but what else should I look at growing here? I'm planning to get some ficuses for inside, but in terms of outside plants I'd appreciate suggestions.

I'd also appreciate any tips on where to buy pre-bonsai here on the peninsula.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Jade (both crassula and P.afra) make great Bonsai, I keep both

Ficus's are always a nice addition , and Cali climate is fairly tropical, if dry , right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah you really can never have enough jade plants, I’m starting to learn

especially once you start learning about all the easily accessible monstrose and mutant forms

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Here's the big boy I found laying on the ground:

The peninsula is chilly but gets more rain than a lot of the state, as I understand it. I guess it may very occasionally get down to freezing, and it's dipping into the 40s at night, so I assume I'd need to keep ficuses indoors, right?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Pham Nuwen posted:

The peninsula is chilly but gets more rain than a lot of the state, as I understand it. I guess it may very occasionally get down to freezing, and it's dipping into the 40s at night, so I assume I'd need to keep ficuses indoors, right?

Yeah ficus won't like you very much below 10c, 40f is a bit cold

I think it has hit that cold here once in the last decade so I rarely worry about frost

Popping over a small ad-hoc green house may also be an option depending on the size of your ficus. Small ones can be suprisingly affordable

Also,as I understand crassula, the flowers are a sign of water stress , nothing major just means they haven't been watered regularly for a while , they absolutely will bounce back just keep an eye on the leaves and the watering schedule

Happy crassula'ing

My bonsai crassula

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hot drat, lookit you

you’re like 70% of the way to a nice little tree right there

that there piece of jade run ya $50+ in one of the fancy Yankee plant shops up north

Serious talk- if it gets to freezing at night then maybe the small jade should spend the winter indoors in front of a nice windowsill/under a cheap light unless you want the leaves freezing off and it defoliating itself.

With a rooted, well established tree that’s not really a problem but I’d be worried about that rootless branch hitting an overnight freeze, losing all of its leaves and probably incurring some woody tissue damage, and surviving.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
It looks like it’s going to get into the low teens tonight. I’m worried about my small trees. Should they spend the night inside my apartment, in my semi-unheated basement, in my car (I could potentially warm it up a few degrees to the low 30s or 40s later in the night if necessary), or stay where they are (on the ground next to my house)?

I could also probably tuck at least a few of them into my porch to raise them up a bit and shield them from wind, but it’s not exactly a complete shelter by any stretch.

At this point they should probably spend the rest of winter in the unheated unattached garage (if I can get access from the landlord) or basement. Or I guess they can just live in my car all winter 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s also a protected area under the downstairs neighbor’s porch that could be plasticked off. Shoot, they were doing fine and temps were great and all of a sudden they aren’t! :ohdear:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 16, 2020

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

...funny you should mention that.

My back hurts. This is my unheated unattached garage, it's what I've been using for the past four years...

Crocoduck fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 16, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Jestery posted:

Ficus's are always a nice addition , and Cali climate is fairly tropical, if dry , right?

Not San Francisco.

As Mark Twain put it, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Platystemon posted:

Not San Francisco.

As Mark Twain put it, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”

Well, fair enough then

could lean into it a little, and get hands on some eucalyptus stock, it's not unheard of here in the great Southern land to bonsai them. As I understand it they are an introduced species to cali

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=553

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Man, I am shocked that my dwarf pomegranate hasn't gone dormant yet, given we've been dipping into the upper 20's (although the coldhouse I have it in has been staying above 30...)

Crocoduck posted:

...funny you should mention that.

My back hurts. This is my unheated unattached garage, it's what I've been using for the past four years...

Looking up the geo-tagging info on that photo and renting a U-Haul right now -- just leave the garage unlocked for me, ok?

Serious Q, though: how important is light for evergreens in winter dormancy? I notice you have some lights in there -- are those for growing or just work lights?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Jestery posted:

Well, fair enough then

could lean into it a little, and get hands on some eucalyptus stock, it's not unheard of here in the great Southern land to bonsai them. As I understand it they are an introduced species to cali

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=553

For purposes of inexact comparison (not accounting for local weather patterns), San Diego is at about the same latitude north as Sydney is South (and is apparently very similar in terms of climate), while San Francisco is at about the same latitude as Melbourne. Of course San Francisco City proper is its own bizzare micro-climate -- it can be 15'C in San Fran, and then more like 25-30'C an hour or so south into the Valley

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Melbourne and San Jose have similar climates, differing mainly in their rain distribution. San Jose gets it all in the winter. Melbourne’s can come at any time.

But don’t bring this up in D&D.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Hubis posted:

Man, I am shocked that my dwarf pomegranate hasn't gone dormant yet, given we've been dipping into the upper 20's (although the coldhouse I have it in has been staying above 30...)

Looking up the geo-tagging info on that photo and renting a U-Haul right now -- just leave the garage unlocked for me, ok?

Serious Q, though: how important is light for evergreens in winter dormancy? I notice you have some lights in there -- are those for growing or just work lights?

Once they go dormant it's not important for them to have light - think about all the trees buried under snowbanks or whose branches are covered with snow. Lights are just work lights. Good luck lifting the trees, you'll need a team :P

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
My hamelia patens

Is about to flower

Apperently you can make coffee/jams/balms from the fruits? So watch this space for the tiniest espresso

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I picked up a japanese boxwood at Lowes:

Why did I pick that particular shrub? Because it's thicc:

Looks like it may in fact be two trees. I'm thinking I'll start by cutting off a branch which is crossing from one trunk in front of another:

Then...I don't know, I guess trim any nodes with more than 3 branches, cut off any branches that look obviously unaesthetic, and then wait for spring & repot? I don't have a plan for this yet.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I also got a boxwood on a whim , I don't have a plan donors just in a holding pattern with some wiring on promote something resembling structure

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

If I have a Jade plant that has gone kind of goofy looking and gangly would this be the thread to ask for advice on how to make it look nicer, or would the general houseplants thread be a better idea?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Solenna posted:

If I have a Jade plant that has gone kind of goofy looking and gangly would this be the thread to ask for advice on how to make it look nicer, or would the general houseplants thread be a better idea?

IMO the thread is low-traffic and there are lots of jade owners so whatever. If I hear gangly, I'm thinking it's not getting enough light. Where is it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Solenna posted:

Either one, depends on what you want to get out of it. Post a pic and tell us what’s going on

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Solenna posted:

No harm in posting a pic, or posting in both threads

I love a good jade plant

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Sooooo I, who knows practically nothing about bonsai, have been given a Pinus parviflora, blue giant, to do with as I will.
It was either that or it would have been thrown out for being a naughty tree or something.

Its kind of tall and scraggly, but I like the colours and it seems to have some branches I can work with.

I have read a brief explanation of air layering pines and when to do it (i.e. not now), but am wondering what my next step should be.

I might buy a nice pot....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RickRogers posted:

Sooooo I, who knows practically nothing about bonsai, have been given a Pinus parviflora, blue giant, to do with as I will.
It was either that or it would have been thrown out for being a naughty tree or something.

Its kind of tall and scraggly, but I like the colours and it seems to have some branches I can work with.

I have read a brief explanation of air layering pines and when to do it (i.e. not now), but am wondering what my next step should be.

I might buy a nice pot....

That guy’s got a naturally really nice shape. Looks like you could do a lot with it.

Post some more complete pics! We’ll give some thoughts.

Whatever you do, DO NOT start working on it now. It won’t survive any serious work done during the bleak midwinter. Plan to start in late Feb/March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I'm picking him (Terrence) on Monday up, because I forgot to yesterday.

I guess I will have to spend the waiting time by buying Bonsai equipment, new shears and pots and stuff.
:dance: