Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

quote:

He speculated this was because Nintendo did not want to remind people of the Virtual Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

b_d posted:

the best wario platformer was the virtual boy one.

Yeah that is actually a very good game

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
if they didn't want to bother doing a whole Virtual Console for it, just slap Mario Clash, Wario Land, and Teleroboxer on a cartridge as Virtual Boy Gallery or whatever and i'd have bought it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao when your full color remake looks worse than the virtual boy game did

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Bloop posted:

lmao when your full color remake looks worse than the virtual boy game did

What? It looks fine. (It's also a mockup)

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

IMO colorizing a game that was designed visually around two colors and empty space sort of seems like a pointless exercise.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it worked for AM2R

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

b_d posted:

it worked for AM2R

And Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

b_d posted:

it worked for AM2R

Looked up some screenshots of this and yeah they actually did a really good job with that, although that is clearly more work than just filling in the original spritework with color. In any case it does seem to capture the dank subterranean feel of the Gameboy game.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Been playing some Obra Dinn and :stare:

So the squid was definitely surprising, but a giant spider now? The gently caress is going on???

Man, this game is good so far.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Virtual Boy's situation is like the complete opposite of what typically occurs with failed consoles.

Typically with failed consoles the hardware was good but the games sucked, with the Virtual Boy it was the exact opposite.

Wario Land, Telereoboxer, and Mario Tennis were all great games.

But your eyes were lit on fire after 15 minutes of gameplay.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Sega's made several Shining games post split and they've all been mediocre (aside from the SF remake for GBA). Shining Resonance Refrain is the most recent one.

It's also unlikely we'll see a translation or VC-style port of any of the Saturn games. The Saturn was a very strange console--it had three CPUs and it rendered graphics using quad polygons instead of triangles, so you don't get much out of gpu acceleration. IIRC the best Saturn emulators still use software rendering.

I'd honestly kill for a proper translation and port of all of the Saturn shining games. I went so far as to import Sc 2 and 3 back in the day. But there are a lot of challenges that make it really unlikely.

Sega not being able to follow up their franchises with a quality entry after their developers left is their problem. Other companies manage to find their footing with their beloved franchises after the original developer left more often than not. I'm sure there is a team out there who can do the franchise justice.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hedrigall posted:

Immortals Fffffff Rrrrrrrg does have a bit of a too-many-narrators/commentators problem

Often Fenyx and Hermes will be discussing stuff and quipping back and forward in a cutscene then Zeus and Prometheus will be riffing back and forward over the scene at the same time

Considering all the voice actors are doing really laboured fake Greek accents it gets a bit tedious

on a scale of one to ten, how accurate is the following take:

Immortals: Fuckingdumbname Rising is what you get when you combine Breath of the Wild and Kid Icarus Uprising with the Ubisoft Open World Formula Game

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DC Murderverse posted:

on a scale of one to ten, how accurate is the following take:

Immortals: Fuckingdumbname Rising is what you get when you combine Breath of the Wild and Kid Icarus Uprising with the Ubisoft Open World Formula Game

On a scale of one to ten I would give that statement *wacky zeus quip*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played it but it sounds like they got loving owned by Hades doing banter with the same basic cast at the same time except really well

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I've been watching footage of Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin and it looks super charming. Really brings me back to the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox era where companies weren't afraid to pursue weird little mid-budget experiments. My heart's set on buying Age of Calamity for now, but I'll be happy to get it somewhere down the line.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I spent most of today playing Return of the Obra Dinn and I know I'm not shocking anyone when I say it's very cool and good. I've reached the point where I'm finished the first run through of the memories and I'm starting to go back to the earlier ones to make more connections.

I do have to echo one of the complaints I had heard about the game though, you get to a point where you have to basically guess at some of the identies, trial and error until they trigger the correct combination. I wish there was more detail in some of the sluthing, like I don't know how (or maybe I just missed it?) I'm supposed to determine which of those four chinese top men are which other than guessing.. But that aside it's great fun, love the presentation and it's always fascinated me how people could work and live in such conditions for months at a time. I'll keep at it for another few days until I reach a point where I'll probably use a guide to finish up some of the more obtuse solutions, or maybe I'll just brute force it but in any case it's well worth the time I've put it in so far.

You absolutely can solve every last fate without having to guess or trial and error. It's just some of them are really hard. It's perfectly fine to use some educated guessing, just be sure you're doing it because it wouldn't be fun to keep poking around and not because you think you have to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Supersonic Shine posted:

I've been watching footage of Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin and it looks super charming. Really brings me back to the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox era where companies weren't afraid to pursue weird little mid-budget experiments. My heart's set on buying Age of Calamity for now, but I'll be happy to get it somewhere down the line.
It’s an excellent game. One of my top five for the year for sure. The action part has some great physics to it and the simulation part is serious enough to want to go one more season every time, but forgiving enough that you won’t starve or anything.

Edit: One interesting thing about that action part is it the enemies are all just as vulnerable to the environmental hazards as you, so you can grab one and throw it at the others and then they all go sailing into the spike wall together and that’s that.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got Skyrim on sale on a whim but I’m not digging it. Am I wrong?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

No?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m probably wrong. I’ll try it a little longer.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Homora Gaykemi posted:

if they didn't want to bother doing a whole Virtual Console for it, just slap Mario Clash, Wario Land, and Teleroboxer on a cartridge as Virtual Boy Gallery or whatever and i'd have bought it

Same here. My only exposure to the Virtual Boy was being able to rent it from Blockbuster for 3 days with literally every single game available for it at the time. A simple collection on 3DS would have been a no brainer

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

just remembered I spent hours and hours on the virtual boy playing Panic Bomber. I normally don’t even like puzzle games like that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

Same here. My only exposure to the Virtual Boy was being able to rent it from Blockbuster for 3 days with literally every single game available for it at the time. A simple collection on 3DS would have been a no brainer

The 3DS really was Nintendo's best opportunity to remember the Virtual Boy, and make whatever vocal elements of its fanbase there are go away forever, by dumping some/all of the games on it. Playable with the same degree of sterescopic "VR", available on a platform that doesn't require a soldering iron to maintain, and far more readily available.

Given the ill effects of using the Virtual Boy, I wonder if there was ever any attempt at internally testing something like this that just had everyone noping out the exact same way?

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Virtual boy rules, I wish I still had mine. $15 at a yard sale with like 4 games (tennis, clash, wario, ?) Worth the suffering

Finally gotten around to Abzu and am astounded by how it looks and how it runs. (except maybe the last couple levels, a little choppy.) It's one of the most amazing looking games on switch, nearly on par with odyssey or something. Ties with the ecco games for best underwater simulators. It's an emotional journey.

Anyone know if the ps4 version adds to the experience noticeably? I think I need this disc in my collection. And need look closer at their new game. And hell maybe try Journey. Ok thanks for reading.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Homora Gaykemi posted:

yeah, but how many axe-wielding lesbians do they have?

have you not met echidna

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mall Santa Metis posted:

have you not met echidna

I hadn't, since the first localised FE was the only GBA one I've really spent any time with

Dang, that is one cool looking lady

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I bought my Virtual Boy from a meth head for $20, and when I found out she had a kid I felt really bad giving her anything but food and necessities. Regretted it and sold it for a huge profit.

Now I regret selling it.

Feel free to put that in your ad for the Virtual Boy Mini, Nintendo.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Mom what happened to my nintendo

Mom wake up

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

You absolutely can solve every last fate without having to guess or trial and error. It's just some of them are really hard. It's perfectly fine to use some educated guessing, just be sure you're doing it because it wouldn't be fun to keep poking around and not because you think you have to.

I felt like the greatest detective on Earth when I worked out how to get the Chinese sailor's names. It's proper Sherlock Holmes style two sets of tiny inconsequential details you're primed to overlook suddenly coming together.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fly Ricky posted:

I bought my Virtual Boy from a meth head for $20, and when I found out she had a kid I felt really bad giving her anything but food and necessities. Regretted it and sold it for a huge profit.

Now I regret selling it.

Feel free to put that in your ad for the Virtual Boy Mini, Nintendo.
cool story i guess

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

The first hour with the tutorial is really weak, as soon as you get outside it gets massively better

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Alec Eiffel posted:

It was a cool game in 2010 op

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Even at the time it was kind of a McDonald’s chicken nuggets kind of game where you know exactly what you’re going to get, only occasionally it has different sauces.

Also good luck sticking to any build that isn’t stealth archer + smithing and enchanting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it would have been very cool to have it in 2010 considering it came out late 2011 ;)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
drat ive been shown as a fraud

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Almost done my playthrough of LoZ, which usually involves my 6yo son watching. This morning at breakfast, he excitedly remembered that I was / we were close to beating it. He asked "Oh! Did you beat the last dungeon last night?!"

Me: "Well, no, you were asleep. I can't finish it without you, silly. We'll beat it tonight, ok?"

Him: (a mix of :3: and :unsmith:)

Switch is the best console.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Almost done my playthrough of LoZ, which usually involves my 6yo son watching. This morning at breakfast, he excitedly remembered that I was / we were close to beating it. He asked "Oh! Did you beat the last dungeon last night?!"

Me: "Well, no, you were asleep. I can't finish it without you, silly. We'll beat it tonight, ok?"

Him: (a mix of :3: and :unsmith:)

Switch is the best console.

This is cute as!

but LoZ? Zelda?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ring Fit Adventure question: Is it possible to disable certain workouts? I live in a place with a ridiculously low ceiling and can't extend my arms above my head without hitting the ceiling, so I can't do anything that requires that.

I can exercise fine, I have a kettlebell workout regimen (nothing too advanced), but I'm mostly interested in the gamification of exercise.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Ring Fit Adventure question: Is it possible to disable certain workouts? I live in a place with a ridiculously low ceiling and can't extend my arms above my head without hitting the ceiling, so I can't do anything that requires that.

I can exercise fine, I have a kettlebell workout regimen (nothing too advanced), but I'm mostly interested in the gamification of exercise.

Yeah you can select the workouts like you'd select weapons/spells in an RPG, I'm in a similar situation where my ceiling is super low so I can't do anything with arms out high.
There's actually not many of those that I've seen, I think I've only unlocked one or two after a month. There's loads of squat and arm stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ratjaculation posted:

This is cute as!

but LoZ? Zelda?

Yes, the first one.