Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Hadlock posted:

Fire/Fire HD are a reliable recommendation because they're supported by Amazon for more than 3 months after release, which is way better than pretty much any other tablet including those from Samsung and Lenovo, and YES you can install stuff from the Google play store on them
that's because android tablets have been replaced by chrome os. the lenovo chromebook duo is a 10" 1920x1200 tablet that comes with a keyboard case and will get updates until 2028, which i really doubt amazon can match. it comes with the play store and can run android apps in addition to the web stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unfortunately there's a lot of niche purposes where you only want a touch screen display and no keyboard, so tablets are sort of here to stay

I can't find it right now but there's a tweet floating around of ~50 ipads on tripods in a storage room to be used as video conferencing things so covid patients can grimly look at their family/next of kin while they are on a ventilator

Could you do that with a chromebook? I guess, but sanitizing a keyboard is neigh impossible even with those silicone mats that make it impossible to type

Tablets also make great instrument read out devices for all sorts of things, including sailboats

Don't get me wrong Chromebooks are awesome, especially for students and grandparents, I have one and love that it maintains itself. It's just that tablets are here to stay

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yes it can, it's a 2-in-1

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Need some advice with picking something for my mom. She's 75, and her eyesight isn't the best anymore.

She has a 3 year old Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet. Her use is pretty limited in scope. She uses it as a kindle, and does usual old person internet things. Email, online shopping, facebook. To my knowledge that's about it. I asked if she ever watched movies or tv on it and she said no.

Lately, she's been complaining about having trouble navigating sites. She has to increase the font size a bit to read things well and with a 10" screen, she ends up zoomed in too much for her liking. Apparently missing details on order pages and has done things like accidentally signing up for recurring orders, ordering 500 of something instead of 50. Annoying dumb things.

She mentioned wanting to get a laptop instead so she could have a bigger screen to help out. She also said she expected it would cost $1500-$2000. This is when I pleaded to her not to order anything until I told her what to get.

I can’t imagine there’s any reason she needs an actual laptop, but don’t know a drat thing about tablets and don’t know where to start.

So recs please? Would like as large a screen as possible. 15”+ preferred. 1080 resolution would be fine. Enough RAM that she’s not going to get annoyed at programs running slow. Not really concerned with harddrive/memory space – she’s all but guaranteed to not be running out of room.

Side question – if she for some reason pushes back and says she really wants an actual laptop for some reason – I assume a Chromebook of some sort would be a better bet for her use case?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would just order her a 15" touchscreen chromebook. They're like $199 for last year's model that's not touch screen

If she says she wants a laptop, I wouldn't try and second guess what she actually needs. Old people hate change and maybe she wants a keyboard like she's used to

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I would just order her a 15" touchscreen chromebook. They're like $199 for last year's model that's not touch screen

If she says she wants a laptop, I wouldn't try and second guess what she actually needs. Old people hate change and maybe she wants a keyboard like she's used to

Yeah, the more I think about it - a Chromebook probably is a better fit for her. She doesn't have an external keyboard for her Fire HD 10, and combined with a larger screen - a Chrome book with an external keyboard would free up a lot of screen space for her to see what she's doing.

Of course she doesn't have a google account to my knowledge either. She's somehow using an email address assigned to her by an ISP that her and my late dad had used. She hasn't been with that ISP for around 3 years. It will suck to get her switched over, but probably a whole lot better going forward.

Stupid rear end pandemic. I'm overdue to visit her and getting this taken care of and set up in person would be a couple hours at best.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I spun up a seperate gmail account for my ipad the other day. It's pretty straightforward. You can setup Gmail forwarding to her old email address pretty easy. Worst case scenario she hates the Chromebook and she has a backup to her tablet

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Meant to edit my last post, and ended up posting instead...

Hadlock posted:

I spun up a seperate gmail account for my ipad the other day. It's pretty straightforward. You can setup Gmail forwarding to her old email address pretty easy. Worst case scenario she hates the Chromebook and she has a backup to her tablet
I'm more worried about the ISP either folding (Small rural Texas local outfit) or realizing that they haven't been customers for years and wiping everything out. Frankly, I'd prefer having her switched over to google, but like you said - Old people hate change. I once spent 20 minutes trying and failing to get my dad to use ctrl-c/v for copying and pasting. It was the worst.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015

butt dickus posted:

the lenovo chromebook duo is a 10" 1920x1200 tablet that comes with a keyboard case and will get updates until 2028, which i really doubt amazon can match. it comes with the play store and can run android apps in addition to the web stuff.
As well as Linux apps, and some Windows apps through WINE if it's not ARM.

Though even then you might be able to run Windows apps through WINE in something like Box86, though I cringe to think how awful performance would be with the emulation inside a virtual machine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

e: nevermind

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Hi! I am in tablet hell, and what I want is a ~8" tablet that can also be used as a phone as in has phone.app and receives SMS. I don't want a Note tablet that ALSO needs a phone. Right now I have a Pixel 3a XL and a 10" 2019 iPad i switch between, depending on what I need to do and what my kid is doing, and my kid has a cyanogen modded Nexus 7 tablet that barely works which I want to shoot full of holes. I loving wish Google had just kept cranking out that form factor because if I could get a 7.5" Pixel 5 I would.

Looking around there's a lot of 7-8" tablets that do not seem to work as phones. The Samsung Galaxy A Tab 2019 version does do this, and they're only ~$239 on Amazon. But, the cameras, DPI and processor speed will be a step down from my pixel 3a XL, and I don't want to deal with this.

Also, if there's a 7-8" tablet on the market that won't do this out of the box but is unlocked and it's straightforward to install Lineage or something, or just install a phone.app, that's fine. I don't mind rooting devices or loving with things, I just want a Giant loving Phone That Maybe Has A Stylus, can anyone help me?

The Galaxy S20 Ultra is vaguely on my radar, but it's smaller than I really want, and also $1100 which is about twice what I want to spend at max, though cost is less of an object than not getting the features I need, because I'll just stick with the bullshit I have if the Perfect Device doesn't exist.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 14, 2020

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

we found him, the guy they made the folding phones for

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

butt dickus posted:

we found him, the guy they made the folding phones for

I definitely don't want one of those.

I am a remote worker who did not leave home much even pre-COVID, and if I need a smaller device when I am on the go, I have a small drawer of "woods phones" including a Pixel 1, a couple moto AndroidOne phones, etc. Mostly with some amount of cracked glass, from, being, you know, woods phones.

Are there any devices that satisfy my requirement? I feel like there must be some decent GSM/AT&T sim enabled small tablet that I can just root and install phone.app on, if no one actually sells "Giant Phone: the product".

It maddens me to no end that apple won't just put the loving dialer app on their iPad mini, what the gently caress.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am a remote worker who did not leave home much even pre-COVID, and if I need a smaller device when I am on the go, I have a small drawer of "woods phones" including a Pixel 1, a couple moto AndroidOne phones, etc. Mostly with some amount of cracked glass, from, being, you know, woods phones.

Are there any devices that satisfy my requirement? I feel like there must be some decent GSM/AT&T sim enabled small tablet that I can just root and install phone.app on, if no one actually sells "Giant Phone: the product".

It maddens me to no end that apple won't just put the loving dialer app on their iPad mini, what the gently caress.

Galaxy Note 20 is 6.7", though it is a phone and not a tablet.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Galaxy Note 20 is 6.7", though it is a phone and not a tablet.

yeah, on the vague list but I really want something 7.5-8". My kid's Nexus 7 would be perfect if it wasn't 2013 tech that can't run modern Plex or quick UIs. iPad mini would be SUPER PERFECT if it had a phone.app.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Recommend me an android tablet or chromebook:

- I'm currently using a Samsung Google Nexus, which mostly fits my needs of some casual kindle reading or youtube / twitch / netflix watching in the evening. The main problem with it is that it has a low amount of ram (2gb), and opening something like Twitch will use so much memory that every other application on the tablet will automatically close, losing my place.

- I'm looking at the updated samsung tables (A7, etc), but these only have a tiny bit more ram (3gb), so my concern would be that they'd also have the same problem.

- Definitely want a touchscreen, want to be able to use it in a tablet-like configuration. Keyboard I could take or leave.

Maybe I want a 2-in-1 chromebook? I care more about reliability and price than speed. I want something that'll last me years and years, like this current tablet has.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Recommend me an android tablet or chromebook:

- I'm currently using a Samsung Google Nexus, which mostly fits my needs of some casual kindle reading or youtube / twitch / netflix watching in the evening. The main problem with it is that it has a low amount of ram (2gb), and opening something like Twitch will use so much memory that every other application on the tablet will automatically close, losing my place.

- I'm looking at the updated samsung tables (A7, etc), but these only have a tiny bit more ram (3gb), so my concern would be that they'd also have the same problem.

- Definitely want a touchscreen, want to be able to use it in a tablet-like configuration. Keyboard I could take or leave.

Maybe I want a 2-in-1 chromebook? I care more about reliability and price than speed. I want something that'll last me years and years, like this current tablet has.

I'm not sure if Google has gotten ChromeOS working great in tablet only mode. I think people like the Lenovo Chromebook Duet, though, and looks like it's $250 from Best Buy right now. Generally, you'll be better suited by a base model iPad in terms of performance, longevity, etc, unless there's some niche requirement you have that makes that a non starter. The 128gb current gen should have enough storage and performance to last you a good 4-5 years, given how you use it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Hmm.. Didn't know this Chromebook Duet existed..

Kinda liking the look of it and the price.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp. I bought one. 128GB Lenovo Chromebook duet

First time owning a Chromebook that can run Android apps. The integration is surprisingly good. Really it behaves more like an Android tablet with a desktop class browser. Google should have went this route to begin with!

Making this post using it and the Awful android app.

So far I love it. Only gripe I have so far is the keyboard doesn't magnetically hold closed over the screen.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hi! I am in tablet hell, and what I want is a ~8" tablet that can also be used as a phone as in has phone.app and receives SMS.
Dunno about SMS but phonearena says a bunch of Samsung tablet cellular models can be used as giantphones, including the 8 inch model with SPEN

https://www.phonearena.com/news/7-tablets-with-phone-functionality-you-can-call-them-giant-smartphones_id59182

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Why not just use google voice ? That makes any tab able to make and receive calls.

Also, android tabs in general don’t have great app support, but a lot of the 8” tabs are not as powerful as the 10” versions. Just food for thought, check the processors before buying.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

stevewm posted:

Welp. I bought one. 128GB Lenovo Chromebook duet

First time owning a Chromebook that can run Android apps. The integration is surprisingly good. Really it behaves more like an Android tablet with a desktop class browser. Google should have went this route to begin with!

Making this post using it and the Awful android app.

So far I love it. Only gripe I have so far is the keyboard doesn't magnetically hold closed over the screen.

I also bought a Chromebook Duet because of the recommendation here. It was to replace a Fire HD 10 that gets used exclusively to watch Twitch/YouTube - the Fire would chug/crash apps pretty often doing just those two things.

The Duet runs both apps smoothly and simultaneously, is good about not kicking things out of memory, and ChromeOS seems to run great in tablet mode. One gripe is that the speakers are quiet, but it's overall a significant improvement.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Another "mom tablet" recommendation request. Cheap, relatively large screen, decent battery. Memory probably doesn't matter, as it's not going to be used for anything more intensive than browser games and audibooks.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'd like to slap a large cheap tablet on my fridge to show family calendars, shopping lists, todos, stuff like this. Also these things should to both android and iPhone. Any recommendations?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenovo Yoga Tab has an integrated stand with a hole in it that allows you to hang out in the wall. If you Google "Lenovo yoga Tab kitchen" there is a couple of good examples. I'm not sure if that's worth the $100 Premium

Another thing to look at, which is what we have in our kitchen, is an $89 nest hub which is basically a limited 5" kitchen tablet

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Another thing to look at, which is what we have in our kitchen, is an $89 nest hub which is basically a limited 5" kitchen tablet
i have the big one of these in my kitchen, and it's not a tablet it all. sure, it has a touchscreen, but the main way to interact with it is voice commands. supposedly you can send recipes to it, but it only works for certain sites, and none that i've wanted anything from. the only thing i use mine for is setting kitchen timers and that's iffy because sometimes one of my other google homes will respond to me from another room, but at least this one has a screen so i can tell if it worked or not

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It bugs the hell out of me that nobody's made a cheap large tablet without a battery and not thin that's designed to sit on the bench or hang on the wall. Low costs by not having to make it thin and not having battery or super high spec, have a big screen but don't need high res, just large for readability. Pretty much just raspberry pi grade internals.

Basically that nest hub but big and mainly touch.

It's just super wierd in general the way the market has decided bigger screen = more cost regardless of resolution.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 7, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

crepeface posted:

Thoughts on the Samsung Tab A7? My mum is looking to use some of her Frequent Flyer points before they expire on a Christmas gift for me and it's about the right number of points (iPad is 4 times more). Currently have an old Surface Pro 3 which I barely use. Had an iPad that I also barely used and gave it to my dad when his died. Not really looking to play games on it (but I wouldn't complain if it were capable of it), probably just browse and watch videos. They use Android, not Tizen right? I've heard the Samsung flavour of Android is terrible, but I can probably deal with it.

My other options for a similar number of points is some kind of new mouse/keyboard or set of wine glasses or something.

fyi the samsung tab a7 is performing as expected (badly). interface is a bit laggy, multi-tasking is doable, but not great and the screen is an okay lcd. it's fine for a cheap tablet to give to a kid or an old (unless they want to play games)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hi All,

My wife is looking for a cheap tablet. Her use case is primarily video chats on the couch with her family. They use Skype/Zoom normally. Apart from that just some basic 2nd screen webbrowsing and non-intensive, candy-crush style games. We're both very comfortable buying used, and we're looking for something cheap, but new is of course fine too. She's looking for something bigger than 7".

We both use Pixels for phones and are pretty integrated into the Google ecosystem, so an Android tablet makes sense to me, but from what little I know Android tablets kinda suck. She'd be fine with one if there is a decent one, or a Chrome OS style tablet if that's a thing, but she would have no real use for a 2-1 style Chromebook. Are the Fire tablets still decent? What generation should we look for?

She isn't opposed to getting an iPad, but we won't be using it nearly often enough to justify even the $329 that an entry level new one costs. What generation of iPads still get updated/can run new apps?

We don't have a firm budget, but this is as much an experiment of if we'll actually use this thing as anything, so anything more than say, $200 would have to be pretty great, and the number that comes immediately to mind is $100 (again, used). That said, if we're just going to get complete garbage that will not run modern apps or fall apart for that price, don't be afraid to say that.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Reading the last few pages, it seems like the Fire HD 10 (I assume there's a Skype and Zoom app from the Amazon app store?) or a used iPad are probably our best choices. What model of iPad makes sense/is still supported?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 14, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Not sure about the Amazon App store for Skype/Zoom but it's trivial to get the Play Store on the HD10. We used our HD10 to do zoom calls with my family over the holidays and it worked great.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
The cameras on the Fire 10 are low resolution (2MP front and back on the most recent model) - fair warning

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MikeJF posted:

It bugs the hell out of me that nobody's made a cheap large tablet without a battery and not thin that's designed to sit on the bench or hang on the wall. Low costs by not having to make it thin and not having battery or super high spec, have a big screen but don't need high res, just large for readability. Pretty much just raspberry pi grade internals.

Basically that nest hub but big and mainly touch.

It's just super wierd in general the way the market has decided bigger screen = more cost regardless of resolution.

The market has decided that no one wants a single purpose dedicated tablet, especially one without a battery - no way would that ever be convenient.

People would rather move their iPad to the kitchen for a bit and buy some kind of wall mount than have some janky tablet in there which needs plugging in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's this thing. Literally an RPI in a tablet. It has a battery, but you don't have to ever unplug it. That said it's $211, at which point you may as well just get the cheap iPad for $40 more, or a Fire Tablet for much less. I don't think that the thing body is really what's driving up the bill of materials on a typical tablet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looking for a recommendation for an android tablet that I can use around the apartment to play some dumb poo poo from google play store, stream videos from my NAS using both plex as well as just being able to navigate to my server over the home network for stuff like motorsports that I don't really want on my plex hosting (so I guess windows explorer or similar functionality). Would probably also want to use it for remote desktop into my server and general web browsing I guess.

I'll never use the cameras but I suppose I'd use the speakers. For reference, I've never had an issue with the speakers on iPads (the only tablet I've ever touched) and would be more than happy with just the sound level/quality of my samsung s9+.

I don't plan on storing any media on the tablet itself and don't need a large drive or even really expansion slots for micro SD or anything.

Thanks! Budget is probably somewhere less than 3-400 CAD but I really don't know anything about this stuff.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Anyone have case recommendations for the Lenovo Chromebook Duet? Not a huge fan of the backplate that came with the device, and I'll be using it 95% of the time as a tablet.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Non-android user here: we just had a baby, and while digging up some old stuff, I can across a Samsung pro tab sm-520 that my wife was gifted for her work ages ago. Running all the updates, it looks like it tops out at kitkat 4.4. It sure would be nice to not have to buy an iPad to entertain the baby, but is this worth keeping around?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Non-android user here: we just had a baby, and while digging up some old stuff, I can across a Samsung pro tab sm-520 that my wife was gifted for her work ages ago. Running all the updates, it looks like it tops out at kitkat 4.4. It sure would be nice to not have to buy an iPad to entertain the baby, but is this worth keeping around?

That's a very old tablet and a very old version of android. Most apps support old versions of Android since the update situation isn't great, but 5.0 updated a ton of important APIs, so many apps don't support anything before that. I just checked Netflix, and it is 5.0 required, for example. It looks like Google Play Services supports 4.1 and up, so you might not be completely out of luck, but you're going to find a lot of apps don't work on that. I also wouldn't put any important information on it, as there are tons of security issues with operating system versions that old (any operating system). That said, to entertain a baby, you might be ok. The YouTube app will work on it (4.4 required).

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 1, 2021

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'd like to pickup a budget tablet that has LTE that works with a Verizon SIM. It pretty much just needs to be able to play Youtube/Netflix for my kid while we are in the car. What exists out there besides like the $800 Samsung Tablets or iPads? Prefer to pay like $200-$300.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's a decent windows tablet, cheap as possible, it will mostly be used for mame

Im looking at these because they are cheaper than a surface go and they have a full usb port

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-0094-00007

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834296548

pieuvre armement fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pieuvre armement posted:

What's a decent windows tablet, cheap as possible, it will mostly be used for mame

Im looking at these because they are cheaper than a surface go and they have a full usb port

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-0094-00007

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834296548

I don't know why you would like to run Mame (the emulator, right?) on Windows in particular when Chromebooks can run Retroarch, but those two you found are at least bargain-bin cheap. Myself, I wouldn't go with the "ships from China" one when there is a Dell available.

FWIW, I think both of them are too low-spec to be useful for general computing in case you get tired of emulators (lol who am I kidding, why would you)