Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kakuni falls apart when you eat it, it's good. If you've had hongshaorou it's just the Japanese version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep, both kakuni and hong shao rou are absolutely delicious but you have to slow-braise them forever and they also do really benefit from chilling and defatting the braising liquid. The whole point is that they're super soft and gelatinous texture. (Crispy-skinned pork belly is also delicious but it's a totally different thing.)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have a crippling addiction to wasabi peas which is bad news when I'm cutting and just a handful is over a hundred calories. Is there any way to make something similar at home in terms of horseradishy flavor and crunchiness without the calorie load?

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Nikujaga results:

is good

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

AnonSpore posted:

I have a crippling addiction to wasabi peas which is bad news when I'm cutting and just a handful is over a hundred calories. Is there any way to make something similar at home in terms of horseradishy flavor and crunchiness without the calorie load?

I'll make roasted chickpeas + olive oil + salt + whatever spice as a mindless snack occasionally, I bet you could do something real similar w/ peas + wasabi powder. Just make sure to get as much moisture out of them as possible before baking so they actually crisp up.

I dunno about calorie counts, but that might get you a slightly larger handful to snack on at least.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Leftover curry for breakfast with a fried egg on top. That’s good poo poo

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

im on the net me boys posted:

Leftover curry for breakfast with a fried egg on top. That’s good poo poo

That's my jam.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Today I made curry without really following a recipe, just threw in a bunch of veggies and chikuwa etc. Also used oats instead of rice (want to explore some more ecological/Finnish options although I’m not giving up on rice altogether, just for certain dishes). And as I expected, it’s great. You’d really have to be a loving moron to screw this stuff up, man. Japanese curry is probably the easiest mega tasty food I’ve ever cooked. I could eat curry forever

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 14, 2020

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

a cyborg mug posted:

Today I made curry without really following a recipe, just threw in a bunch of veggies and chikuwa etc. Also used oats instead of rice (want to explore some more ecological/Finnish options although I’m not giving up on rice altogether, just for certain dishes). And as I expected, it’s great. You’d really have to be a loving moron to screw this stuff up, man. Japanese curry is probably the easiest mega tasty food I’ve ever cooked. I could eat curry forever

Oats seems like an interesting choice!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Curried oatmeal is not one I would have thought of but I am intrigued

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've had oatmeal with masala chai spices. 9/10, would make again

I've also had leftover curry on pasta and with store-bought naan (though not at the same time), and it was good. It seems like pretty much any starch works with curry!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

There are some limits I think. I’ve had leftover curry with tortilla chips, tortillas, and udon noodles but I tried making a curry sandwich with just some bread once and that sucked

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

There are some limits I think. I’ve had leftover curry with tortilla chips, tortillas, and udon noodles but I tried making a curry sandwich with just some bread once and that sucked

This gave me an idea: grilled cheese made with curry mayonnaise.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I have a lot of salmon (turns out, buying a salmon share from Sitka Salmon Shares results in a lot of salmon). Any recommendations on a Japanese preparation? Right now I usually do something like.a salmon misoyaki or if I'm really lazy, just bake the salmon, flake it up and then mix in with a spicy mayo to make a rice topping.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

captkirk posted:

I have a lot of salmon (turns out, buying a salmon share from Sitka Salmon Shares results in a lot of salmon). Any recommendations on a Japanese preparation? Right now I usually do something like.a salmon misoyaki or if I'm really lazy, just bake the salmon, flake it up and then mix in with a spicy mayo to make a rice topping.

Nanbanzuke is nice. Fried and marinated in a vinaigrette. Looks like there’s a recipe on JOC, https://www.justonecookbook.com/salmon-nanbanzuke.
The restaurant I worked in prepared it a little differently. The fish was marinated beforehand, then deep fried, and served with more of the marinade.
They also had a delicious tataki. The salmon was rubbed in an ume paste before searing, and served with crispy brussel leaves and a good salt.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

captkirk posted:

Haha gently caress yeah, a couple of my friends from college started Sitka Salmon. That's some of the best salmon I've had in my life.

And I probably recommend, to fit the current discussion, a curry!

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

a cyborg mug posted:

Also used oats instead of rice (want to explore some more ecological/Finnish options although I’m not giving up on rice altogether, just for certain dishes).

Do you mean whole like groats, or rolled?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

It can't have been that bad, karepan is a thing. (It's deep-fried bread, but...)

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

FishBowlRobot posted:

Nanbanzuke is nice. Fried and marinated in a vinaigrette. Looks like there’s a recipe on JOC, https://www.justonecookbook.com/salmon-nanbanzuke.
The restaurant I worked in prepared it a little differently. The fish was marinated beforehand, then deep fried, and served with more of the marinade.
They also had a delicious tataki. The salmon was rubbed in an ume paste before searing, and served with crispy brussel leaves and a good salt.

Nanbanzuke sounds tasty! I'll try that in a few days. Tonight I made some salmon teriyaki. I went with the recipe from JOC, I've never dipped the meat into potato starch before doing the teriyaki and I think it really really helped both holding the fish together and giving the sauce somewhere to adhere.

Recently my doctor asked how my sodium intake has been. I laughed and then had to explain "I eat *a lot* of Japanese food".

Johnny Truant posted:

Haha gently caress yeah, a couple of my friends from college started Sitka Salmon. That's some of the best salmon I've had in my life.

And I probably recommend, to fit the current discussion, a curry!

That's cool! I wish I had heard about Sitka Salmon back when I lived in WI. I only learned about it after I moved to Seattle (yeah, Seattle has a lot of their own amazing seafood, but Sitka supports individually owned boats, comes frozen cold enough I'm 100% comfortable making lox from it, and it just shows up at my door forcing me to use it).

I was going to say a salmon Japanese curry doesn't sound very good to me but then I googled and saw "fish katsu curry" and if I have a fillet of keta salmon in the freezer still, I could katsu that for a curry.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Halloween Liker posted:

Do you mean whole like groats, or rolled?

Yeah they’re groats, sorry, should’ve specified. Close to brown rice in texture when cooked, really. So no, I wasn’t eating like an oatmeal porridge with my curry, haha

Rice cooker managed them just fine, there was some foaming but I opened the lid for a second which got rid of the foam and then there were zero problems afterwards.

Also yeah nanbanzuke owns a lot, definitely give it a go!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 15, 2020

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Made some vegetarian sushi and gyoza the other day for some friends.

I usually dust the bottoms of the gyoza in flour, but corn starch got me that extra crispiness this time.

Sushi rolls are:

Cucumber, avocado, cream cheese
Garlic mushrooms, avocado, power greens, carrot
Balsamic soy asparagus, red bell pepper, cream cheese, avocado

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

FishBowlRobot posted:

Made some vegetarian sushi and gyoza the other day for some friends.

I usually dust the bottoms of the gyoza in flour, but corn starch got me that extra crispiness this time.

Sushi rolls are:

Cucumber, avocado, cream cheese
Garlic mushrooms, avocado, power greens, carrot
Balsamic soy asparagus, red bell pepper, cream cheese, avocado

Both look awesome!

I'd love to start making vegetarian sushi with my partner who happens to be vegan. Any tips and/or suggestions on where to start for a total beginner to making sushi?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

hallo spacedog posted:

I don't know if this totally counts but it's not a traditional recipe and it is extremely delicious: Sweet potato with miso butter.

just reporting back to say this recipe kicks rear end

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Both look awesome!

I'd love to start making vegetarian sushi with my partner who happens to be vegan. Any tips and/or suggestions on where to start for a total beginner to making sushi?

Thanks!

Like anything else, it just takes practice, so just dive in. Maybe start with some simple rolls. Just One Cookbook looks like they have some decent recipes/guides on preparing the ingredients (sushi rice, vegetables) and I think this guy’s video is pretty good on the mechanics of actually making the rolls:
https://youtu.be/40MiH9-FQ5w

Some key, basic points:

The rice is king. Cook and mix it well, then preserve its texture. You can be firm with it, but for the most part you never want to be mashing the grains. Like when you’re applying it to the nori seaweed, think more like you’re spreading it across the sheet instead of pressing it down.

Use a sharp, sharp knife. Makes everything easier and keeps everything together when cutting. Wet the blade before you cut a roll.

Wet your hands before handling the finished sushi rice, so it doesn’t stick to your hands. You want them wet, but not dripping. If you want to be a cool cheater you can get some vinyl food prep gloves and rub a dab of oil on your fingers and palms. Nothing will stick to you then.

Hope that’s helpful even though I didn’t go into too much detail. Feel free to post or PM me with any questions.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got a hangiri last year and now my sushi rice game is right, thing rules

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:

FishBowlRobot posted:

Thanks!

Like anything else, it just takes practice, so just dive in. Maybe start with some simple rolls. Just One Cookbook looks like they have some decent recipes/guides on preparing the ingredients (sushi rice, vegetables) and I think this guy’s video is pretty good on the mechanics of actually making the rolls:
https://youtu.be/40MiH9-FQ5w

Some key, basic points:

The rice is king. Cook and mix it well, then preserve its texture. You can be firm with it, but for the most part you never want to be mashing the grains. Like when you’re applying it to the nori seaweed, think more like you’re spreading it across the sheet instead of pressing it down.

Use a sharp, sharp knife. Makes everything easier and keeps everything together when cutting. Wet the blade before you cut a roll.

Wet your hands before handling the finished sushi rice, so it doesn’t stick to your hands. You want them wet, but not dripping. If you want to be a cool cheater you can get some vinyl food prep gloves and rub a dab of oil on your fingers and palms. Nothing will stick to you then.

Hope that’s helpful even though I didn’t go into too much detail. Feel free to post or PM me with any questions.

Thanks for all the tips, they're super appreciated. Will definitely take a peak at Just One Cookbook's guides and the linked video. I'll make sure to post along my journey!

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Is there a Japanese Curry gang tag. If not I will make one

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh hell yes! Curry gang

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh hell but gently caress yeah

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a curry roux that's readily available in the states and doesn't contain MSG? I like Golden Curry's flavor but I feel like poo poo every time I eat it, and I'm not sure if it's the MSG or I'm allergic to something in it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Heath posted:

Is there a curry roux that's readily available in the states and doesn't contain MSG? I like Golden Curry's flavor but I feel like poo poo every time I eat it, and I'm not sure if it's the MSG or I'm allergic to something in it.

Do you have a gluten allergy perhaps

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone tried low temperature tonkatsu (Narikura style)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTkK2PhH9AU

Watching this place which does a similar style, they jaccard the meat, standard flour egg breadcrumb dredge with fresh breadcrumbs (some sort of Secret Egg Mixture to make it whiter but I don't think that matters much) then a long low and slow fry at 115C and a quick finish at 145. Mostly curious about how well the breading stays stuck after such a long cook. They also pack the breadcrumbs pretty forcefully which I was told is a no-no so curious if anyone has any insight on that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Do you have a gluten allergy perhaps

No, although I've made some spicy stuff using gochujang and gotten a weird prickly tingling sensation in my fingertips and felt similarly uncomfortable. The curry roux isn't that intense though

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Heath posted:

No, although I've made some spicy stuff using gochujang and gotten a weird prickly tingling sensation in my fingertips and felt similarly uncomfortable. The curry roux isn't that intense though

That's a weird reaction. Maybe there's a preservative or something that you're reacting to? Or maybe you have a capsaicin allergy, even?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone tried low temperature tonkatsu (Narikura style)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTkK2PhH9AU

Watching this place which does a similar style, they jaccard the meat, standard flour egg breadcrumb dredge with fresh breadcrumbs (some sort of Secret Egg Mixture to make it whiter but I don't think that matters much) then a long low and slow fry at 115C and a quick finish at 145. Mostly curious about how well the breading stays stuck after such a long cook. They also pack the breadcrumbs pretty forcefully which I was told is a no-no so curious if anyone has any insight on that.

I actually went to Narikura this past Monday. First time I've been since the owner left. The breading on the plate side came off the meat pretty easily as I was eating. I prefer normal katsu breading to be honest, I think the point of cooking at that temperature has more to do with preserving the tenderness of the pork they use than desirability of the breading style itself. If you can score some really top shelf pork it might be worth messing with, otherwise I'd just stick to regular katsu technique.

*edit*
Yeah in the video he says they cook it at a low temperature to avoid forcing moisture out of the meat.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 17, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That's a weird reaction. Maybe there's a preservative or something that you're reacting to? Or maybe you have a capsaicin allergy, even?

No idea. I'll have to compare ingredients and see if there's something common between them

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This would be amazing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Red curry in the streets, green curry in the sheets :getin:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Heath posted:

I'm not sure because I never check but I would think that it's really hard to find a curry roux without MSG.

You could just buy some MSG and do some tests on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

captkirk posted:

I'm not sure because I never check but I would think that it's really hard to find a curry roux without MSG.

You could just buy some MSG and do some tests on yourself.

Just hanging out, drinking test tubes of MSG and placebo