Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL if the Yankees let DJLM walk over 25 million. Insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Spiders are gross and stupid you might as well name them the Cleveland Turds

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1338511773280972805

Clownish. Also the Stanton contract is 1000000000% the disaster I knew it would be.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

mentholmoose posted:

They should go retro and choose another hilariously bad Cleveland team, the Barons.

I would love to see their mascot be an over the top Monopoly guy rip-off, Robbie R. Baron, and he can bounce around the stands hurling Baron Bucks into the air and if you collect, like, 12 million Baron Bucks you get a free hotdog.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Renaming the cheaply run team that keeps trading away fan favorites and making everybody mad The Spiders is honestly amazing but probably not the most flattering option.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Nthing that Spiders would be a cool name. Going back to the Naps would be kind cool though it just feels racist for some weird reason. The Lajoie's would be funny if only for people messing up the pronunciation as someone said. Not that there's a chance in Hell of them picking either of the latter two.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 14, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My Facebook wall is full of Cleveland Baseball fans bitching and moaning about Tradition and Political Correctness and I'm loving it.

Oh, so using types of marginalized People as mascots is Racist now? What's next? Getting rid of the Fighting Irish?

"Yes."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Spiders rule, they eat annoying bitey bugs.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

FistEnergy posted:

My Facebook wall is full of Cleveland Baseball fans bitching and moaning about Tradition and Political Correctness and I'm loving it.

Oh, so using types of marginalized People as mascots is Racist now? What's next? Getting rid of the Fighting Irish?

"Yes."

I saw people complaining that more team names will change because people just want to be offended at everything. It's too bad, because I really like the Blue Jays name.

Also, keep seeing the idea that Indigenous people actually love these nicknames, and that it's only white liberals who want it changed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1338535859134541824

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I hope I'm not being too dense, but I'm not sure why they are changing the name. Most of the past imagery surrounding the team and some of the wording are offensive, but is the nickname itself offensive? Or is this a business decision to make a clean break and start over so idiots will have to stop cosplaying as chief wahoo at games?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How many years does D.J. want ?

3?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

3?

I'd guess four. That would take him through his age 36/37 season.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I hope I'm not being too dense, but I'm not sure why they are changing the name. Most of the past imagery surrounding the team and some of the wording are offensive, but is the nickname itself offensive? Or is this a business decision to make a clean break and start over so idiots will have to stop cosplaying as chief wahoo at games?

The term "Indian" is considered offensive by a lot of Native American groups, yes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's probably a lot easier to just reset the brand and start fresh. Cause really, what iconography/logo can you come up with that isn't offensive for a team named "Indians"?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

3?

He's asking for 5x100. Yankees are at 4x75. A complete joke.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Uh that’s a good call by the Yankees

38 year old D.J. ?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

Uh that’s a good call by the Yankees

38 year old D.J. ?

You can't lose your best hitter over 1.25M a year for the next 4 years and say that you're a team that is trying to win the world series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So why did they even bother announcing this?

https://twitter.com/castrovince/status/1338558622381596673?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

You can't lose your best hitter over 1.25M a year for the next 4 years and say that you're a team that is trying to win the world series.

He’s not getting 5/100 from anyone else

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lamo how can they still be the Indians when they admit it’s terrible ?? Wtf

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

He’s not getting 5/100 from anyone else

We'll see!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I definitely wouldn't want to be giving a 5-year contract to a 32-year-old with a career 102 OPS+

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Lamo how can they still be the Indians when they admit it’s terrible ?? Wtf

Because they can sell a ton of slur team gear this year then a ton of not slur team gear the next.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

He's asking for 5x100. Yankees are at 4x75. A complete joke.

Apparently it's "more than $25M apart" now:

https://twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/status/1338121921909624833
https://twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/status/1338122187509817345

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

I definitely wouldn't want to be giving a 5-year contract to a 32-year-old with a career 102 OPS+

He's had 2 years in a row of playing like an MVP for the Yankees. I don't care what his career OPS+ is.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It got leaked and then the FO confirmed it, but it does seem ridiculous to not have any plan for a new name, this isn't a new issue.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Letting DJ walk over what amounts to pocket change for this team is dumb

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Announce it now so people will get off their backs about changing the name already. The real crime here is how apparently they just now figured out they should've planned for an alternate name, unless that alternate was Tribe and someone told them that wouldn't work.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so the new name won't be used in 2021 and they're not using something like "Cleveland Baseball Team" so Cleveland is just going to continue using the same name while openly acknowledging that it's unacceptable?

this is :mets:-level of running an organisation

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That's the football team's name

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1338575853177880576?s=21

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

this is not mets style incompetence, this is intentional. They want the good PR of changing the name, while also getting all the money from the pro-indians fans who will (hopefully, in the teams mind) spend even more money on merch this season knowing that it's going away. Then, once they actually change the name they get all the money from the non-shithead fans who are happy to buy new, not racist merch.

this is money grubbing to a serious level

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

“No, no, it’s fine, we can still sell these SS armbands because some of the profit will go to the Shoah Foundation.”

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

1continuous wrong apparently makes a right!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they do this 1-2 years ago with Chief Wahoo? They said they were gonna retire Cheif Wahoo after the upcoming season, which presumably drove up sales of Chief Wahoo gear.

If you're gonna do it, just do it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I'm glad they're doing it... eventually. But yeah, they're definitely milking every last cent.

edit: Ha, I didnt see the part where they'd just keep selling the racist stuff anyway. sigh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"no but we'll give the profits from sales to charity, don't ask why our production costs have suddenly gone up 1000%"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This move is peak corporate cynicism/over-analyzed idiocy. As noted, they for sure announced this early thinking they can milk another year or so of sales on the old gear from all the racist die-hards. They also probably had some marketing consultant tell them that a "transition period" like this would help the "devoted fans" come to grips with the change and reduce the backlash when they introduce the new name.

Instead it will likely give the people who were going to get mad about it longer to stew in their racist anger, while also angering the people who wanted a change.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah, its the same move that they did with Chief Wahoo.

The Chief Wahoo stuff was done in incredibly cynical bad faith too because I was there for the ASG and they hid all of the Chief Wahoo stuff at the merch booths but when I was back in Cleveland a month later for a regular game, they had TONS of it everywhere.

They're probably going to be selling so much Indians branded, Chief Wahoo having stuff even after the name change that really nothing changed at all. gently caress this team.