Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Cleveland Apache Attack Helicopters with a 7th inning stretch where one hovers over the field in the stadium and shoots baseballs at the audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is incredible.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The modern-era Chief Wahoo is Pretty Racist. But the old one is Shockingly Racist. I know a number of guys with old logo cornhole boards, posters, etc and it's unbelievably clueless and stupid

These people will cling to the Chief until they die

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Hastily made clevland press release:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianDulik/status/1338561743337836544

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
are they going to be the Clevland Indins now

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The Clevland Typos

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheFlyingLlama posted:

this is not mets style incompetence, this is intentional. They want the good PR of changing the name, while also getting all the money from the pro-indians fans who will (hopefully, in the teams mind) spend even more money on merch this season knowing that it's going away. Then, once they actually change the name they get all the money from the non-shithead fans who are happy to buy new, not racist merch.

this is money grubbing to a serious level

They're going to have their cake, but they're going to eat it too.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

become the Cleveland Rocks, you cowards

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cleveland Rockies

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Clevland Natinals

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Cleveland You Have To Love Us Because The Cavs Are Bad Again gently caress The Browns Are Good Nows

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheFlyingLlama posted:

this is not mets style incompetence, this is intentional. They want the good PR of changing the name, while also getting all the money from the pro-indians fans who will (hopefully, in the teams mind) spend even more money on merch this season knowing that it's going away. Then, once they actually change the name they get all the money from the non-shithead fans who are happy to buy new, not racist merch.

this is money grubbing to a serious level

yeah it's this

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Republican senator candidates in Georgia are getting a little desperate for new outrages, y'all.

https://twitter.com/Perduesenate/status/1338632775327473664

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I love that the framing is always that opposition to the white monetization of Native American imagery is ‘erasure.’

Not the actual genocide itself.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

God I hope they loving lose and that we rebrand to the Firebirds.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
I'm whatever on changing the Braves name with the caveat than any new name better not suck.

I'd rather erase those senators than the name of my sportsball team.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So if the new name sucked you'd rather keep the racist name?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My compromise is that the Braves can keep their dumb name if they stop the chop. Please reach me at my PO Box for further discussion.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Braves could change their name and I suspect the fans would still chop.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

This is fine if they change their name to the Atlanta Chefs.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Atlanta Lumberjacks and they can even keep the hatchet if they restyle it slightly.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Shiroc posted:

Atlanta Lumberjacks and they can even keep the hatchet if they restyle it slightly.

Replace the racist chop and chant with "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the Atlanta Mechanical Parking Gates

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Atlanta Aquemini

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Atlanta Aquemini

ATLiens

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

Atlanta Liver

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Atlanta Suburbs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Atlanta Traffic Jams

They can even keep the chant from the chop but replace the hand motion with the middle finger

"ooooooh oh oh loving drive ohhhhh loving merge"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/saraperlman/status/1338846605760458752?s=21

:unsmith:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Anyways the obvious name, as many have thrown around for years now, is the Atlanta Hammers.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Big fan of Cleveland Spiders or Walleyes. Guardians sounds lame but if those statues are a big thing and the people want it, sure.

Re: Atlanta, is “braves” even accurate? I can’t imagine it was a blanket term used across all tribes/nations. It wouldn’t surprise me if the name was slapped on without regard for how applicable it was. Or maybe it was and, through moves, this is a Utah Jazz situation?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don’t understand the question

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

late 15th century: from French, from Italian bravo ‘bold’ or Spanish bravo ‘courageous, untamed, savage’, based on Latin barbarus (see barbarous).

:thunk:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Who's ready for more uncomfortably public slap fighting between owners and players?!

https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/1338881253307768837

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Re: Atlanta, is “braves” even accurate? I can’t imagine it was a blanket term used across all tribes/nations. It wouldn’t surprise me if the name was slapped on without regard for how applicable it was. Or maybe it was and, through moves, this is a Utah Jazz situation?

The Braves thing goes back to Boston when the team’s owner was connected to the New York City political goon squad Tammany Hall, which used a Native headdress as one of its symbols and took its name from a local chief. So it’s even less connected to Atlanta or the franchise than you might think!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Big fan of Cleveland Spiders or Walleyes. Guardians sounds lame but if those statues are a big thing and the people want it, sure.

Wikipedia tells me that the Boston Braves were named that because the owner has part of the Tammany Hall political machine, which used an Native-American Chief s their symbol. So Braves were definitely meant as a generic term for Native-Americans by white people.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Who's ready for more uncomfortably public slap fighting between owners and players?!

Absent questions about whether that's the best use for the vaccines, it sure seems like a good idea.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Trying to figure out why the owners are taking this stance, and all I can think is that they want a shorter season as an excuse to cut salaries again, since they know they can't fully open to fans at the start. All of a sudden the owners care deeply about public health and player safety? Yeah right.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 15, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like chiefs could probably be genercized enough to be all right, just get rid of all of the native American crap. braves though is unsalvageable.

I still don't really understand what's going on with the Blackhawks butthey're dealings in these matters the last few years have been somewhat less than heroic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bawfuls posted:

Trying to figure out why the owners are taking this stance, and all I can think is that they want a shorter season as an excuse to cut salaries again, since they know they can't fully open to fans at the start. All of a sudden the owners care deeply about public health and player safety? Yeah right.
Yeah that’s pretty much it