Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Josh Lyman posted:

I don’t know if Florida is any good this season but they were 3-0 and probably wanted to make a run for the conference title. The desire to win > everything.

It's not a conference game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
MAP

https://twitter.com/jloose128/status/1338180482106880002

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

NC State has figured out that you can’t be beaten if you never play another game :hmmyes:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
drake is gonna be the last one standing for iowa lol

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does Calipari suck at coaching, now? It seems like his team is running plays competently but, during the Notre Dame game, it felt like there were a ton of mismatches that resulted in poo poo like big guys unable to catch up to small guys and small guys who were completely hopeless in the lane on D.

I couldn't pick out what turned things around but that last play looked pretty disorganized, too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

tadashi posted:

Does Calipari suck at coaching, now? It seems like his team is running plays competently but, during the Notre Dame game, it felt like there were a ton of mismatches that resulted in poo poo like big guys unable to catch up to small guys and small guys who were completely hopeless in the lane on D.

I couldn't pick out what turned things around but that last play looked pretty disorganized, too.

I thought his talent was recruiting not coaching but then fans say poo poo like that all the time and I don't follow college much outside of the Pac-12 but as a draft feeder league.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

How the hell is Wazzu still unbeaten? Did they cancel their season due to the Rona after beating Eastern Washington or something? :psyduck:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

tadashi posted:

If Boston doesn't bobble the ball on the final play, Sarr has a much closer shot, and the weak side rebound was there with presumably enough time for a putback.

Cal's skill as a coach was never as strong in Xs and Os, but in getting the high level talent he recruits to play together as a team. That just hasn't happened yet this year, outside of the second half against Notre Dame. I know covid is a lame excuse because everyone is dealing with it this year, but it sure doesn't help when you have literally one guy who played any minutes on the team last year returning and he's been out hurt so far.

There was some analytics stuff going around today about how the team actually plays better without BJ Boston on the floor despite him being the highest rated prospect, and having just watched the games I totally believe that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it's more that they need to play Mintz more but yeah Boston has been extremely disappointing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/TDOnline/status/1338585859545833472?s=19

Holy poo poo. Awful.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
If they tie this to the covid-related heart condition, college basketball is done for the year, right? They wouldn't have a choice.

Whatever it is, hoping for a full recovery for him. Scary situation.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

If they tie this to the covid-related heart condition, college basketball is done for the year, right? They wouldn't have a choice.

0% chance.

Instead they will say, "Wow look how Florida rallied through adversity." and there will be puff pieces about how they are doing this for Keyontae.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Hopefully they refuse to play because of keyontae. And also every other team should do it. Truly ridiculous they haven't called the season already. I hope he makes it through but it sounds slim.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
So apparently Ron Harper Jr. is playing every game like he's against Iowa now. (Which is not a knock against them, just he's always been lights out against them.) Dude is going to be a first round pick and declare, isn't he.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

So apparently Ron Harper Jr. is playing every game like he's against Iowa now. (Which is not a knock against them, just he's always been lights out against them.) Dude is going to be a first round pick and declare, isn't he.

Him and Myles have been the 2 best players on the floor for every game so far. 2 monsters. Geo even looked pretty much himself tonight. This is a very legitimate top 20 team.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 15, 2020

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

No, because UF in particular has done a horrible job of dealing with the pandemic.

In an ideal world a lot of important people would be looking much more closely at how it was that almost the entire Florida team contracted coronavirus to begin with, then came back after a short break and kept playing like it was no big deal.

And not only that, remember that the Florida football team had a notable coronavirus outbreak of its own not that long ago that hit not only players but the head coach and some of his assistants, and the coach (IIRC) flat out refused to say how many players had it. After their own short break, that team also went back to playing like it was no big deal.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Also no matter what there will be enough "reasonable doubt" and i use that term very loosely but where people will be like "THERE IS NO WAY TO NO 100 PERCENT THAT HAVING COVID BEFORE MADE THIS WORSE. THIS IS A FREAK MEDICAL ISSUE AND THATS IT!"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kim Jong Il posted:

he’s on the fringe of the first round but he could easily raise that if he keeps playing like this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Also no matter what there will be enough "reasonable doubt" and i use that term very loosely but where people will be like "THERE IS NO WAY TO NO 100 PERCENT THAT HAVING COVID BEFORE MADE THIS WORSE. THIS IS A FREAK MEDICAL ISSUE AND THATS IT!"

I mean this is definitely a case where it's still way too early to know and it could very easily just be an underlying heart condition he's had for awhile that no one ever found. But the fact that we still really don't know very much about the long term impact of covid is just more reason to be ultra cautious about it and not play

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

I mean this is definitely a case where it's still way too early to know and it could very easily just be an underlying heart condition he's had for awhile that no one ever found. But the fact that we still really don't know very much about the long term impact of covid is just more reason to be ultra cautious about it and not play

and i’m sure it’s the furthest thing from his grandfather’s and anyone else’s mind right now but keyontae johnson was going to play in the nba at some point, and instead of earning a few million dollars, he’s barely conscious after being put in a medically induced coma

it’s beyond hosed up

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

and i’m sure it’s the furthest thing from his grandfather’s and anyone else’s mind right now but keyontae johnson was going to play in the nba at some point, and instead of earning a few million dollars, he’s barely conscious after being put in a medically induced coma

it’s beyond hosed up

Yeah I really thought he had a shot to play himself into the late lottery discussion this year, I was a huge fan. Everything about this sucks so much.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Declan MacManus posted:

he’s on the fringe of the first round but he could easily raise that if he keeps playing like this

He still looks like a kid and he's already this good. He's going to grow into his body and get in better shape. He could be like one of the best years in the country if he stays another year (which I hope he does for purely selfish reasons)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 15, 2020

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

MourningView posted:

The other problem is that even if it was an underlying issue that was going to be discovered eventually, the odds that Covid perhaps piled on and made it worse are likely high. And now that he's negative for the virus(possibly) the NCAA will frame it as a freak accident.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/GatorsMBK/status/1338949071416012804?s=19

:)

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

best news ive seen all day

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

Oh I agree. We don't know enough across the board what type of long term or even extended short term things that covid really does to people. But at the end of the day they shouldn't have been playing anyways. This entire year is such a cluster gently caress.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I was in a video meeting where I really should not have been looking at my phone but it was really boring so I was and when this alert popped up I knew I made the right decision.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/BarstoolReags/status/1338927356686249984?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

that loving rules

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
k-state, who got blown out by a bad d2 team, beat Iowa State lol

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
CBS Sports Classic games are being switched around this weekend. UK will now play UNC instead of UCLA, who will play Ohio St. This is to supposedly align teams to their respective conference covid testing protocols.

Hello, 1-5 Kentucky.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

CBS Sports Classic games are being switched around this weekend. UK will now play UNC instead of UCLA, who will play Ohio St. This is to supposedly align teams to their respective conference covid testing protocols.

Apparently the Pac-12 and Big Ten test daily, while the SEC and ACC don't. Woof.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

k-state, who got blown out by a bad d2 team, beat Iowa State lol

We suck, and I'm starting to wonder if Prohm even makes it to the end of the season.

Edit: My quick read on other ISU fans is that they think Prohm survives this year simply because we won't have the money to fire him. I think Pollard will have to fire him if we win just 1-2 games in conference. How do you bring him back? Even in a COVID year.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 16, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

We suck, and I'm starting to wonder if Prohm even makes it to the end of the season.

Edit: My quick read on other ISU fans is that they think Prohm survives this year simply because we won't have the money to fire him. I think Pollard will have to fire him if we win just 1-2 games in conference. How do you bring him back? Even in a COVID year.

Yeah I know they probably have to come up with more money for Campbell on top of the budget shortfall from no fans, but I don't see how you keep him if they're the worst team in the conference which it seems like they might be. Surely there must be at least one pissed off rich booster who can pony up for it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea I think he has to be fired. The damage to attendance next year will justify the expense I would guess.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The best/worst example of that is the year Rutgers fired Fred Hill. They originally told him he could come back, mainly because they were flat broke. His dad was the baseball coach at the school. He gets thrown out of a baseball game for arguing for an umpire, and sneaks back in with a disguise, Bobby Valentine style.

Fired instantly, and because they have no money, the only person who will take the job is desperate Mike Rice.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
KenPom also does advanced curling stats? This is linked from the kenpom.com homepage: https://doubletakeout.com/

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
My favorite thing in basketball right now is Trevion Williams passing out of double teams

https://twitter.com/PurdueOnBTN/status/1339372061353943040

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UVA and Gonzaga have scheduled a game for December 26, I guess the thinking being they both have gotten their covid pox out of the way?

I dunno, seems like a terrible idea, especially for Virginia which is going to get stomped on national TV, but then again I guess the TV bucks are most of the reason for it.

meanwhile (re: Gonzaga-Iowa):
https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/1340020777567973376?s=20

elentar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Still pretty sure Iowa is about to get run off the court and make me sad but maybe they're going to be rusty or Iowa will be on fire from 3.