Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I literally bought a pair of cargo trousers like 3 weeks ago. Sometime in the last few years they've passed from 00's legacy to "standard item of clothing" that you can but from "normal" shops like superdry

they're v. Useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
for 400 bucks you can get an ipad vanilla and a keyboard+cover thing. there is your netbook

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

for 400 bucks you can get an ipad vanilla and a keyboard+cover thing. there is your netbook
This would be more appealing if apple didn't go out of their way to prevent you from running real software. As dumb as chromebooks are, at least they let you run normal linux in a vm, apparently with decent integration into the desktop and everything, now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

real software.

quote:

linux in a vm

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Wild EEPROM posted:

things like the windows vista version was artifically limited to 3 programs running at a time.

I forgot about this poo poo lol

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Carthag Tuek posted:

codecs developed fast right around then

i remember i had a vcd of the matrix that looked pretty good, but like a half year later, i got another one that was uh variable bitrate vcd? iirc only some hardware could play it as opposed to regular vcd, which could generally be played

big image quality difference tho

what was that about, i guess some manufacturers gave less of a poo poo / supported more codecs? i wonder if those lovely old "vbr vcd"s are divx or something

extremely late but I think you're talking about kvcd which modified something or other about the (quantization? convolution?) matrix. it might have also lowered the horizontal resolution because vertical resolution was more important on crappy crts . i remember messing about with it in tmpgenc when i had a zest for life and a desire to spend several hours of my time just to watch raiders of the lost ark on an actual tv rather than stare at the wall

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mystes posted:

This would be more appealing if apple didn't go out of their way to prevent you from running real software. As dumb as chromebooks are, at least they let you run normal linux in a vm, apparently with decent integration into the desktop and everything, now.

no one cares about running linux

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the linux vm for my lovely chomebook runs like loving garbage, sadly

mystes
May 31, 2006

carry on then posted:

no one cares about running linux
I'm not saying that linux is the definition of real software, it's just that linux on a chromebook is the only way right now to run stuff that's not lovely mobile apps on these types of devices right now if you want to do some coding or whatever, but I don't own a chromebook and it's probably not worth buying it for that.

If you have an ipad and want to do programming what are your options? The web version of vscode? Remote desktop?

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 15, 2020

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Mr.Radar posted:

If you want a modern netbook you do have some options that come close. If price is your main concern, there is the Pinebook from PINE64 which is an ARM SBC crammed into a laptop chassis. The base model is only $99 with an 11" screen while the "Pro" model is $199 with a 13" screen and significantly upgraded specs otherwise (you can swap the Pro mainboard into the base model which I would highly suggest if you want to use it more than occasionally/as a toy). If the form factor is your main concern, you can probably find something made by GPD that will suit your needs, though not very cheaply (their stuff usually starts around $500 with Atom or Y-series Core processors and integrated graphics only).

That said, I don't think you can get any computer today that combines the tiny form factor (with a keyboard) and the low price of the original netbooks, though that's probably because those machines turned out to be bad compromises compared to smartphones and tablets which now largely make up the low end of the "(semi-)portable Internet browsing device" market.

:stonklol:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I’m the lanyard hole

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the dedicated fan button.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

im dormancy indicator light

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hmm. would

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There are exactly two things in the world where anyone has ever wanted a lanyard (hole): cameras.

gently caress, I had something else in mind but instantaneously forgot it after having written the beginning.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

binoculars maybe

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
the sidekick phone

both for posting funny tech sit AND answering the lanyard hole question

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BLOBby Newmark posted:

binoculars maybe

oh. yeah

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK what the gently caress I just got a loving lighter delivered to me (as a corruption) that has a lanyard. WHO WANTS TO PUT A LANYARD ON A LIGHTER, THE LANYARD IS LONG ENOUGH TO FIT AROUND YOUR NECK?!?!?

(Also there is literally no way to actually attach the lanyard to the lighter, I'm going mad :psyduck:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mystes posted:

I'm not saying that linux is the definition of real software, it's just that linux on a chromebook is the only way right now to run stuff that's not lovely mobile apps on these types of devices right now if you want to do some coding or whatever, but I don't own a chromebook and it's probably not worth buying it for that.

If you have an ipad and want to do programming what are your options? The web version of vscode? Remote desktop?

it’s amazing how programming is literally the only thing anyone can think of when they say “real software” on here

mystes
May 31, 2006

carry on then posted:

it’s amazing how programming is literally the only thing anyone can think of when they say “real software” on here
It would be nice to be able to run a real office suite but maybe office for ipad is decent.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they make a gaeming version (gpd xd plus) that runs android and has a gaming controller instead of a keyboard etc.

i got my brother one for xmas one year, and was pleasantly surprised by it. runs GTA SA, KOTOR, tons of emulators really well

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pocket devices with keyboards that can run a Linux are super interesting to me,

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indeed seems like gpd all-around makes a kind of quirky fun device which has otherwise mostly died out (well, rather most stuff has been replaced by such incredibly low-quality garbage that it doesn't even reach the level of a bit of fun).

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ah looks like open pandora is going somewhere https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

ah looks like open pandora is going somewhere https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

they make terabyte sd cards now, I'm having difficulty imagining someone who has that many roms they'd need dual card slots

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

pocket devices with keyboards that can run a Linux are super interesting to me,

extremely same and I HAVE NO gently caress IDEA WHY SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

qirex posted:

they make terabyte sd cards now, I'm having difficulty imagining someone who has that many roms they'd need dual card slots

lol it has a resistive touchscreen. the longer this thing gets dragged on the shittier it looks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Voodoo Cafe posted:

extremely late but I think you're talking about kvcd which modified something or other about the (quantization? convolution?) matrix. it might have also lowered the horizontal resolution because vertical resolution was more important on crappy crts . i remember messing about with it in tmpgenc when i had a zest for life and a desire to spend several hours of my time just to watch raiders of the lost ark on an actual tv rather than stare at the wall

haha yes, kvcd!!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There are exactly two things in the world where anyone has ever wanted a lanyard (hole): cameras.

gently caress, I had something else in mind but instantaneously forgot it after having written the beginning.

Wiimotes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

they make a gaeming version (gpd xd plus) that runs android and has a gaming controller instead of a keyboard etc.

i got my brother one for xmas one year, and was pleasantly surprised by it. runs GTA SA, KOTOR, tons of emulators really well

my Nvidia Shield Portable is getting a little long in the tooth. How are the speakers on that thing and can it run NVidia Gamestream? Or is that only for Shield-branded devices?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the GPD XD+ and a Shield. the XD+ is way, WAY faster as far as load times, scrolling lag and the like. it also runs Dreamcast pretty well, along with some
basic ps2 and GameCube stuff

the Shield has the nvidia game stream app, which is definitely better than the moonlight app that the XD+ uses. the nvidia game stream app is also smart enough to not run on non-nvidia hardware, even if you rip it from the shield and install it on the XD +

the Shield feels better to use. it’s like holding a heavy 360 controller, whereas the sticks and buttons on the XD+ are more like a Vita

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
huh, do any of these devices also do steam link or something similar? weirdly interested in it, hoping the feeling passes before i wind up hoarding more ewaste

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

both the shield and XD+ run android, and so have a native steam link app

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have the GPD XD+ and a Shield. the XD+ is way, WAY faster as far as load times, scrolling lag and the like. it also runs Dreamcast pretty well, along with some
basic ps2 and GameCube stuff

the Shield has the nvidia game stream app, which is definitely better than the moonlight app that the XD+ uses. the nvidia game stream app is also smart enough to not run on non-nvidia hardware, even if you rip it from the shield and install it on the XD +

the Shield feels better to use. it’s like holding a heavy 360 controller, whereas the sticks and buttons on the XD+ are more like a Vita

i can't believe nvidia even gives a poo poo. they made a single portable device 6 years ago and never released another.

my main and only gripe with the portable is the atrocious sleep battery life. like I can be at 100%, close the lid, and pick it back up later in the evening and it's at 30%

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK what the gently caress I just got a loving lighter delivered to me (as a corruption) that has a lanyard. WHO WANTS TO PUT A LANYARD ON A LIGHTER, THE LANYARD IS LONG ENOUGH TO FIT AROUND YOUR NECK?!?!?

(Also there is literally no way to actually attach the lanyard to the lighter, I'm going mad :psyduck:

it was really common in nz in the 90s for white trash peeps to have leather necklace bic lighter holder things so they would be able to spark up a durry or cone at a moments notice

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

i can't believe nvidia even gives a poo poo. they made a single portable device 6 years ago and never released another.

my man have you heard of the nintendo switch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i tried using a switch and the joycons were trash as controls and also felt like they were gonna snap off

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/gravislizard/status/1143281237814996992

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

neat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gentle Autist posted:

it was really common in nz in the 90s for white trash peeps to have leather necklace bic lighter holder things so they would be able to spark up a durry or cone at a moments notice

the best way to keep a firestarter in your go bag is to buy a bic, buy a lighter leash, then put the lighter in backwards so the business end is protected from the elements. when you need it just pop it out of of the rubber thing and light up that mansion. also your poo poo's on a string now so it wont get lost in the bottom of your bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

20c per text message