Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

if murray hadn't done so many coy interviews and talkshow circles and had just been modest and kept his fuckin yap shut NMS would be absolutely revered for what it is rather than reviled for what it isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

godman demon's's soul's is a good rear end game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I like No Man's Sky but digging a hole and having trouble getting out because of the awkward physics is a bad time.

Dig up, stupid!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This would be my ideal version of No Mans Sky that I would actually play. Ditch crafting and mining almost entirely. That poo poo sucks and isn't fun and is the main reason I don't want to play it. maybe let you gather a few things to craft, basic stuff like ammo and health... . Then take all of the bajillions of upgrades, new items, weapons etc and hide them around planets. As well as stuff like new ships etc. Let me track them and go find them myself. Hide them in caves, under oceans, make a dungeon out of it, put obstacles in the way like enemies or just something I have to get through to get there. Then it's change the gameplay loop to I need x thing to get Y thing. I.e "I want to get this cool gun, but it's buried in an ocean, to get there I need to have a scuba suit or submarine, to get that I need a rock breaking laser because the scuba suit in a cave...

Then you have a gameplay loop that is closer to an open world metroidvania that actually gives you something to do and makes exploration distinctly rewarding, vs just sitting in front of a rock for ten minutes until your inventory is full and dreaming about how you might someday make something useful out of it. Also make the dogfighting at least half way fun while you are at it, Murray.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 15, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

veni veni veni posted:

This would be my ideal version of No Mans Sky that I would actually play. Ditch crafting and mining almost entirely. That poo poo sucks and isn't fun and is the main reason I don't want to play it. maybe let you gather a few things to craft, basic stuff like ammo and health... . Then take all of the bajillions of upgrades, new items, weapons etc and hide them around planets. As well as stuff like new ships etc. Let me track them and go find them myself. Hide them in caves, under oceans, make a dungeon out of it, put obstacles in the way like enemies or just something I have to get through to get there. Then it's change the gameplay loop to I need x thing to get Y thing. I.e "I want to get this cool gun, but it's buried in an ocean, to get there I need to have a scuba suit or submarine, to get that I need a rock breaking laser because the scuba suit in a cave...

Then you have a gameplay loop that is closer to an open world metroidvania that actually gives you something to do and makes exploration distinctly rewarding, vs just sitting in front of a rock for ten minutes until your inventory is full and dreaming about how you might someday make something useful out of it. Also make the dogfighting at least half way fun while you are at it, Murray.
I checked back in about a year ago and I think the crafting rate for building materials was just too expensive compared to something like Minecraft where 1 block = 1 block. Making a small shelter would drain a lot of what you just mined for a while. If they cut the costs to like 1/4 or less of what they were, I would have been happy. Fuel management needed to go away, too. Just let me build an unlimited reactor.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

veni veni veni posted:

Then take all of the bajillions of upgrades, new items, weapons etc and hide them around planets. As well as stuff like new ships etc. Let me track them and go find them myself. Hide them in caves, under oceans, make a dungeon out of it, put obstacles in the way like enemies or just something I have to get through to get there. Then it's change the gameplay loop to I need x thing to get Y thing. I.e "I want to get this cool gun, but it's buried in an ocean, to get there I need to have a scuba suit or submarine, to get that I need a rock breaking laser because the scuba suit in a cave...
You're basically describing Subnautica. A lot of games would benefit from being more like Subnautica. It's basically the polar opposite of what NMS actually is, though - a small and handcrafted world full of cool bits and scenic vistas as opposed to an infinite generic universe where nothing is interesting ever.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Really wishing Crowbcat would come back right about now

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

if murray hadn't done so many coy interviews and talkshow circles and had just been modest and kept his fuckin yap shut NMS would be absolutely revered for what it is rather than reviled for what it isn't

Part of the deal he signed with the devil Sony. Looking at those interviews you think he was doing that because he is a people person?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lolling at the goons that knowingly paid money for a broken pile of poo poo complaining about not getting a refund for that broken pile of poo poo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Lolling at the goons that knowingly paid money for a broken pile of poo poo complaining about not getting a refund for that broken pile of poo poo

:hmmyes:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ps5 has renamed all of my friends “another player” in the notifications. Super useful Sony.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

veni veni veni posted:

Ps5 has renamed all of my friends “another player” in the notifications. Super useful Sony.

Technically the truth.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
No Man’s Sky at least had the excuse of being a tiny dev team who lost a significant amount of work in a flood, and then they added in all the poo poo they promised in free patches.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I know it's a common-ish thing, although I'm starting to suspect it's a hardware fault that needs RMAing: anyone else unable to play either Spider-Man game in either Fidelity or Performance RT mode? I had some trouble when I first got the PS5 but got SOME game sequences in Fidelity at the time, but now if I put either game into a mode other than basic "Performance" it crashes immediately. At first I was under the impression that it was a bug related to external drives and/or active downloads, but it also happens without those hooked up.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

univbee posted:

I know it's a common-ish thing, although I'm starting to suspect it's a hardware fault that needs RMAing: anyone else unable to play either Spider-Man game in either Fidelity or Performance RT mode? I had some trouble when I first got the PS5 but got SOME game sequences in Fidelity at the time, but now if I put either game into a mode other than basic "Performance" it crashes immediately. At first I was under the impression that it was a bug related to external drives and/or active downloads, but it also happens without those hooked up.

Would probably try delete and reinstall, then maybe do a full system wipe/reset if that fails. Otherwise yeah sounds like RMA.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My only issue so far between Fidelity and Performance on PS5 is that in Demon's Souls Performance mode seems to cause a more noticable coil whine from the console whereas Fidelity is pretty dang quiet.

But DeS in 60fps is so glorious :negative:

I'm sure I mostly hear it because I sit rather close to my console and tv, but also because the PS5 fan noise is so quiet that the other noises it makes tend to stand out more if I'm playing with the tv volume low. Kinda hoping the coil whine fixes itself or some firmware comes along and takes care of it because when I'm playing a PS4 game or sitting on the XMB the console is dreadfully quiet by comparison.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Would probably try delete and reinstall, then maybe do a full system wipe/reset if that fails. Otherwise yeah sounds like RMA.

I'm going to try a full format tomorrow and just install Spider-Man. If that doesn't work then yeah I'll RMA then.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dewgy posted:

No Man’s Sky at least had the excuse of being a tiny dev team who lost a significant amount of work in a flood, and then they added in all the poo poo they promised in free patches.

A flood? What’s the story there? That would honestly be awful.

I only ever tried NMS years after it was released and it was fun to play. More than the inch deep that is Elite Dangerous. I couldn’t keep up with the collection grinding needed without the item duplication glitch that they patched out. My understanding is they’ve added campaigns and a huge amount of other world building stuff in DLC. Still, I remember the community was so incredibly upset at launch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Blind Rasputin posted:

A flood? What’s the story there? That would honestly be awful.
https://www.polygon.com/2013/12/25/5243182/hello-games-studio-flooded-on-christmas-eve

It reads like something out of a bad movie, but it's apparently true.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/mikedrucker/status/1338733245110816768?s=21

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wild that a game that has been out for years is in better shape technically than one that just came out last week?

The threshold for a wild is pretty low on the Internet these days.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, considering that Witcher 3 was never designed to run on Switch hardware while Cyberpunk was designed for most of its development time to run on the PS4, I think it kind of is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, considering that Witcher 3 was never designed to run on Switch hardware while Cyberpunk was designed for most of its development time to run on the PS4, I think it kind of is.
It was? I assumed that the PC version was the top priority in development and the console versions were an afterthought. That’s how CDPR has always been right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

It was? I assumed that the PC version was the top priority in development and the console versions were an afterthought. That’s how CDPR has always been right?
Kinda yes, kinda no? I mean, hardly anything these days is ever developed for just one platform and they advertised the game heavily for the PS4. They only switched to making it properly next-gen around the beginning of this year, from what I hear. A lot of people specifically preordered it for console and are now sitting on a product that barely works. Even CDPR themselves apologized for the horrible state of the PS4 release in a tweet. It's not just gamer rage talking here, the game is effectively broken for last-gen consoles right now.

And the Witcher 3 on Switch is legitimately magic, it's crazy how well it runs. And the port was done by a third-party studio, too! It's genuinely really impressive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

And the Witcher 3 on Switch is legitimately magic, it's crazy how well it runs. And the port was done by a third-party studio, too! It's genuinely really impressive.
I assume it’s BECAUSE it was done by a third party. CDPR are many things but an effective cross platform developer is not one of them, which should be more obvious now than ever before.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume it’s BECAUSE it was done by a third party. CDPR are many things but an effective cross platform developer is not one of them, which should be more obvious now than ever before.
Third-party ports tend to be overall worse than first-party ports in my experience, which I'm personally putting down to the developer simply having more familiarity with the quirks and intricacies of the code, but otherwise I can't really comment on that. :shrug:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Is it ever worth buying a ps5 "used" from "Amazon Warehouse" on the amazon website which is sometimes listed on their ps5 pages?

They give like an ~$80 discount, but list large cosmetic problems with the packaging. Can you return if it's defective?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Third-party ports tend to be overall worse than first-party ports in my experience, which I'm personally putting down to the developer simply having more familiarity with the quirks and intricacies of the code, but otherwise I can't really comment on that. :shrug:
I think we’re entering a new world of high quality third party ports, with companies like Bluepoint leading the way.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think we’re entering a new world of high quality third party ports, with companies like Bluepoint leading the way.

On launch day though?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

On launch day though?
In the past there have been third-party ports that have been launched at the same time is the original, yeah. They’re kind of famous for sucking (Bayonetta on the PS3 being an obvious example) but it doesn’t mean they need to forever.

Maybe CDPR should’ve left the PS4 version to someone else.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, one can certainly hope. Stranger things have happened.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I also feel like launch day third party ports are usually a recipe for disaster. Arkham Knight's PC launch (courtesy of Iron Galaxy) was a complete nightmare that resulted in the game being removed from sale.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Well after a month of PlayStation support hell trying to get my non-working Bluetooth repaired, I finally got my replacement PS5 (they told me it was "repaired" but I checked the serial number against my old one and it's different now). It only took like 6 support calls over 2 weeks, and then 1 more week of waiting for a box, which they sent to the wrong address, then waiting for it to come back, they still sent it to the wrong address after I called to correct it, but luckily my local fed ex people are on the ball and got it to me today, and everything is working fine so far *clenches butthole and looks at the sky.*

But yeah man, I guess when you're a company that has a monopoly on the games people want to play, you can have your support team be a bunch of useless idiots. All of the above, plus being shut down by chat support and twitter and not being able to get someone on the phone for the first week, and having the first guy tell me to just wait for a software update. What a drat runaround. At least this story has a happy ending.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sony has notoriously bad support but there's a lot of companies that are happy to cut costs there nowadays.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sony has notoriously bad support but there's a lot of companies that are happy to cut costs there nowadays.
I thought that customer support was among the lowest priority for for every company that does anything in the entire world.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:siren: :siren: :siren:
https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1338800809975443456?s=19

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

Rude.

The quality of a port almost always comes down to time and budget, just like every other part of development. If an internal team gets gently caress all time and budget to do a particular platform then it'll turn out just as poorly as an external team. My teams have made some of the definitive versions of the games we've ported as an external developer when the publisher has really wanted to invest in them, and have had to deal with some really hosed up horrible poo poo and had to make the most of it when they haven't. Given enough time or documentation or dev access you can learn the ins and outs of any engine.

I will say though that a lot of the time the original developer has zero interest in doing a port themselves, outside of maybe that one crazy guy in the engine team that wants to do it basically for fun but nobody else wants to go near it. Which works pretty well for me.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Gonna set my expectations mostly on Death Stranding PS5 with a small hint of "could be something actually interesting".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's going to be a Switch exclusive I just know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given what happened with most of his games, especially the most recent, I'm really hoping his next game is about a nice normal life with no global-impacting events whatsoever :shepface:.