Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I started watching Star Trek tos because of WHM, and while I like it quite a bit, there’s a lot of stuff you have to look past.

And trek fans don’t seem to give a poo poo about TOS anymore for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sponges posted:

I started watching Star Trek tos because of WHM, and while I like it quite a bit, there’s a lot of stuff you have to look past.

It is a 50 year old show, and really shows its age. Original fans of the show are in their 70s. There are separate internets for people that old.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

sponges posted:

I'm curious where you got this from. You can go into any Trek thread on SA and find the exact opposite. Most Trek fans I know love TOS.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I think most of us acknowledge it's by far the most 'product of its times' of Trek and...those were not great times to be a product of...but I can't imagine saying any group of trek fans 'don't give a poo poo' about it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I’m a fan of TOS but it’s an idle fandom. I re-watch the movies from time to time, and enjoy whatever comes my way on the waves of the internet. I’ve got a bunch of really old TOS paperbacks I adore and one day want to collect more of them (or get digitally if physicals not possible)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So I watched Batman Returns in anticipation of the gang doing it for WLM. It's the first time I've watched it since I saw it in the theater when I was 9, and my mom took me to see it (which she deeply regretted) so it was almost a first time watch. I was blown away by how deeply, fundamentally weird that movie is. Like, that is one weird loving movie. I am so confused how it's the followup to Batman '89. It feels as different from that movie as Forever is from Returns. It is certainly a Tim Burton movie, but for being a Batman movie? Just so drat weird! I read that he made Edward Scissorhands in between the first and second Batman movies, which makes a lot of drat sense. I guess this is Burton just leaning way more into his evolving directorial style?

I'll say the best stuff in it is the Bruce and Selina relationship. The moment on the dance floor where they realize who each other are is great. Selina's, "Does this mean we have to fight now?" is good stuff. And Walken is appropriately, well, Walken. And at the end, when Batman takes his mask off, and Walken says, "Bruce Wayne? Why are you dressed up like Batman?" Genuine laugh, right there. And Walken's character's son doing an insane Walken impression is gold. Also, pretty sure he's played by the guy who played Zangief in the Street Fighter movie?

But, so, was the Penguin's plot the whole time to kill the first born of Gotham? 10th Plague poo poo? Which is defeated in a moment by Batman just beating up the driver of the truck? And the mayoral election plotline was, what, filler? That's pretty weak.

Also, people who complained about Batman not being in much of The Dark Knight Rises. Uh...how do you feel about this movie? Because this is the Penguin show.

I lean towards not liking the movie. Great performances, but kind of a mess. But I can't wait to hear them talk about this weird rear end movie.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

thrawn527 posted:

And Walken's character's son doing an insane Walken impression is gold. Also, pretty sure he's played by the guy who played Zangief in the Street Fighter movie?

Yeah, Andrew Bryniarski. He's one of my favorite obscure character actors. He was Leatherface in the 2003 remake, in some Hollywood Shootout TV-Movie, and a meathead in like 3 90s football movies.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Batman Returns is the BEST Batman movie.

That's right

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Batman Returns is the most Tim Burton movie ever. It's also really sexual. Everybody wants to gently caress everyone.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

At some point this year I’m doing a horny Christmas double feature of Batman Returns and Eyes Wide Shut

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

enigmahfc posted:

Batman Returns is the BEST Batman movie.

That's right

It completely delights in how loving weird a world is where a man dresses as a bat to fight a woman dressed as a cat and a deformed maniac.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I would totally listen to a podcast of the whm guys talking about cohen brothers movies. This fargo episode is so good even if it isn't really that funny

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's not a ton of goofs in this ep but it's just kinda a really good episode of them just chatting about a good rear end movie so I'm still down!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, I really wish they would release ad free episodes on the Patreon feed or at least a feed that has normal ads but no ads for the Patreon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, I really wish they would release ad free episodes on the Patreon feed or at least a feed that has normal ads but no ads for the Patreon.

Eh, honestly, I listen to a lot of podcasts, and the ads on WHM are the least annoying ads I have to listen to. They’re the only podcast I’m a Patron for, and I really don’t mind the ads for the free feed. They make it clear when they’re writing the script and when they’re not, and when they do, they make it entertaining. I have no complaints.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I've been hollering for this ever since I subscribed. Hell I'd pay 9 bux a month for that privilege

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Without knowing anything, it may be beyond their control. I would bet the ad agreements are with headgum and not the individual podcasts, so they can’t as easily just make the decision to do it themselves. Sucks but like Thrawn said, if they’re riffing on the copy I’m fine listening for a little otherwise I just tap the ff a few times until the music fades out and I’m good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

B-Rock452 posted:

I would totally listen to a podcast of the whm guys talking about cohen brothers movies. This fargo episode is so good even if it isn't really that funny

They did No COuntry for Old Men

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

They did No COuntry for Old Men

Nah, that was a 2-hour long ad for The Gettin' Place :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, honestly, I listen to a lot of podcasts, and the ads on WHM are the least annoying ads I have to listen to. They’re the only podcast I’m a Patron for, and I really don’t mind the ads for the free feed. They make it clear when they’re writing the script and when they’re not, and when they do, they make it entertaining. I have no complaints.

:same:

I posted about it before after listening to other podcasts with ads, WHM has the least intrusive ones.

Other podcasts will have what feels like a 20 minute ad break in the midpoint of the episode, for other podcasts on the network that I'm never going to listen to, with an ad copy in the middle that is purposely placed there to there to trick you into thinking the episode is back, so you can listen to the hosts gush over Casper Mattress/Squatty Potty/Pretty Litter/Bombass Socks.

I'll take Eric reading the stock copy about Trico Wipers to Spanish Flea any day of the week to that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WHM is fine with ads because they make them extremely skippable - they either have music or slightly different audio than the discussion so it's easy to find the end. I assume all podcast apps have some kind of skip ahead X seconds at this point, right? The only place I can think of that does ads better is Cumtown.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
They are almost always ~2 minutes, so 4 quick presses of skip forward gets me there pretty much everytime. Thank you WHM crew for the consistency where so many others fail.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

weekly font posted:

The only place I can think of that does ads better is Cumtown.

Cumtown?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

If you have to ask, you don’t want to know. And I say that as a fan.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cael posted:

If you have to ask, you don’t want to know. And I say that as a fan.

bingo.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Breaking News from the internet ticker: WHM "Live" next month on Dark Fate! Excited we finally get to see it come to fruition.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Fellowship of the Ring episode is an absolute blast to listen to, not sure it it’s one of the all-time greats but you can tell the guys are just having a ball the whole time

OH MY loving GOD THEY TALK *vomiting noises*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Soup du Jour posted:

Fellowship of the Ring episode is an absolute blast to listen to, not sure it it’s one of the all-time greats but you can tell the guys are just having a ball the whole time

OH MY loving GOD THEY TALK *vomiting noises*

:yeah:

It's been 8 years since the last time I watched them, I'm going to have to buy the 4k now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oh, this was kinda talked about, but whatever...

Is the ad situation a case of popularity causing huge bandwidth costs for WHM? Most of the podcasts I listen to just use Patreon and maybe a minute or so ad, and I kinda have sympathy for those wishing the game of "how many times do I have to skip" didn't end with realizing, no, there's a lot more to skip.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 15, 2020

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Every couple of pages this thread turns into a discussion on ads.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

clown shoes posted:

Every couple of pages this thread turns into a discussion on ads.

Just keep skipping ahead until you don’t hear “Spanish Flea” anymore.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s probably just the ad deals that headgum has.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

Just keep skipping ahead until you don’t hear “Spanish Flea” anymore.

But it's my favorite song!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s probably just the ad deals that headgum has.

It's this. As part of the network it's something they have to do. It's not great but I'll take a couple minutes of ads in exchange for them being able to keep doing this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Angry_Ed posted:

It's this. As part of the network it's something they have to do. It's not great but I'll take a couple minutes of ads in exchange for them being able to keep doing this

Countdown until someone Kramers into the thread complaining that the boys should be giving us 3 hours of new free entertainment per week without ads because podcasts!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I bit the bullet and became a patron. What are the essential patron-only episodes?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Countdown until someone Kramers into the thread complaining that the boys should be giving us 3 hours of new free entertainment per week without ads because podcasts!

tbf they have a sucesful patreon that's probably eclipsing the ad revenue right? Unless I'm seriously underestimating how much companies pay for these ads.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

I bit the bullet and became a patron. What are the essential patron-only episodes?

Just start at the beginning

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Spatulater bro! posted:

What level patron are you?

This sounds classist as hell, but it potentially changes the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

If you've got access to the Nexus, definitely start at the beginning and work your way through. It's essentially a long, slow-building running joke collection.