Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

Trying to figure out why the owners are taking this stance, and all I can think is that they want a shorter season as an excuse to cut salaries again, since they know they can't fully open to fans at the start. All of a sudden the owners care deeply about public health and player safety? Yeah right.

Ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Trying to figure out why the owners are taking this stance, and all I can think is that they want a shorter season as an excuse to cut salaries again, since they know they can't fully open to fans at the start. All of a sudden the owners care deeply about public health and player safety? Yeah right.

Guessing they will try and "compromise" by delaying the start of the regular season but pushing it through October, then doing another neutral-site playoffs so they can play later in the year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

There are a ton of incentives for owners and pretty much all of them boil down to money, yes:

1. Delayed season means less games, which means less player pay.
2. If players and adjacent staff are vaccinated, that means MLB can excuse not paying for any testing.
3. Starts the season closer to the average person hopefully getting vaccinated which means more games with butts in seats.
4. Reduced risk of some dipshit team grinding the season to a halt because they ignored protocol and went out partying.

There's also the fact that "we care about the health and safety of our players and staff and considering all the outbreaks last season despite all our efforts, we want to make sure everybody is safe and vaccinated before we start a season because that's the responsible thing to do" is a hell of a PR stance even if anybody actually paying attention knows it's bullshit. That the player counter argument is going to be "we already took a loving paycut and don't want to take another one, also your protocols sucked rear end" will mostly fall on deaf ears doesn't hurt either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the owners indemnify the players for vaccine related injuries (should they occur) I could see it

Might need a couple hundred million dollar fund or similar

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

euphronius posted:

If the owners indemnify the players for vaccine related injuries (should they occur) I could see it

Might need a couple hundred million dollar fund or similar

lol good one

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Braves ever do change their name it needs to be a bird team. The city's other two teams are already bird teams anyway and the world could always use more of them

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Intruder posted:

If the Braves ever do change their name it needs to be a bird team. The city's other two teams are already bird teams anyway and the world could always use more of them

The Atlanta Jim Crows

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Intruder posted:

they gotta stick with a local bird of prey tho. i suggest The Barn Owls

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I've been a Braves fan my whole life and I have no loving problem with them changing their name to something inoffensive.

I also think it needs to be bird themed.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol they let fans attend the World Series but sure I totally buy that they don't want to spread covid around at spring training (with no fans lol)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh yeah that reminds me, my father told me this week "you were right about the World Series." A father & son acquaintance of his attended and they both caught the 'rona. He was pushing for us to go and I was adamant it was a bad idea since he is old and the games were obviously going to be full of drunk yelling maskless people.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Good job making the rational choice

Hope your dad's friends make a recovery

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
On the bird theme, the Braves could go back to being the Doves, which they were after giving up the Beaneaters name and abolishing the last of the red from their Red Stockings/Caps uniforms because their manager was convinced red dye would infect players’ open wounds.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

elentar posted:

On the bird theme, the Braves could go back to being the Doves, which they were after giving up the Beaneaters name and abolishing the last of the red from their Red Stockings/Caps uniforms because their manager was convinced red dye would infect players’ open wounds.

The reason white socks that go on underneath stirrups are/were called "sanitaries" or "sannies" was for this very reason. Allegedly the earliest dyes used to color socks could be toxic if they seeped into an open wound. Players used to spike each other all the time on the basepaths back then, so it was a real concern.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Excuse me Beaneaters?! They should bring that back. And if it’s too Boston, then just change their name instead. Cincinnati would be able to go back to Red Stockings, too. I see no downside here.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

go back to the longtime name of the atlanta minor league franchise

the atlanta crackers.

that would definitely go over well

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Crackers would backfire horribly. Fans would lean into it, dress up as slave masters with whips and poo poo.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the atlanta crackers.

Cobb County Crackers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

People got really, really mad about this so I doubt crackers would go over well and shows that even with the point staring them in the face some people just don't care

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I played on a rec league team with a native guy who wore that t-shirt the day we played the Indians.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
got im

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Squall posted:

Cobb County Crackers.

That's like the Chicago Chicagoans, or the Wisconsin Cardiac Patients.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Squall posted:

Cobb County Crackers.

Kobb Kounty Krackers

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zgvK1UAH4

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Looking forward to Bauer going full puppetmaster when he finally does get caught and punished.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

LIDOM teams have the best clubhouse celebrations

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1339061271614853120

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

oh yeah that reminds me, my father told me this week "you were right about the World Series." A father & son acquaintance of his attended and they both caught the 'rona. He was pushing for us to go and I was adamant it was a bad idea since he is old and the games were obviously going to be full of drunk yelling maskless people.

but...but it was outside???!!!?

that sucks dude. glad you and your pops stayed home

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Vernacular posted:

but...but it was outside???!!!?

that sucks dude. glad you and your pops stayed home

It was inside a farm & fleet

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like the part where Bauer becomes a chemist to create the best sticky substance for increasing his spin rate

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
The Atlanta Magic City Wings

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Atlanta March.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the atlanta crackers.

Since we are doing poo poo post meme naames, has anyone mentioned the Atlanta Chokers yet?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Squall posted:

Cobb County Crackers.

This is the one joke with the move that drives me up a wall. They're not called the Fulton County Braves, why would they be called the Cobb County Braves (or Crackers)? They're also still in Atlanta with an Atlanta address.

Argh!

chilihead posted:

Since we are doing poo poo post meme naames, has anyone mentioned the Atlanta Chokers yet?

I think the Falcons already hold the rights to that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yikes

https://twitter.com/jay_jaffe/status/1339216210949529600?s=21

I had always wondered why he was fired from that coaching job and never got another one

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ben13Porter/status/1339067132592738304

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I like the part where "everybody does this" but it only turns Bauer into an absolute superstar.

Also the 8:45 mark where the ball is stuck to Yadi's chest protector.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The ball stuck to the chest protector was incredibly good and a hilarious way to inadvertently out your own pitcher for using banned substances

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is the one joke with the move that drives me up a wall. They're not called the Fulton County Braves, why would they be called the Cobb County Braves (or Crackers)?
Because they relocated to be closer to the Crackers in Cobb County. The move was an obvious and conscious decision to prioritize suburban white fans over black fans in the region.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/mlb_pr/status/1339239227805065219?s=21

Good, although the record keeping for some of those leagues is spotty I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Because they relocated to be closer to the Crackers in Cobb County. The move was an obvious and conscious decision to prioritize suburban white fans over black fans in the region.

I'm not entirely disagreeing but there was a heat map of season ticket holders shown and they put the stadium right in the middle of it. Fulton county had also made all of these promises to build and develop around Turner and it never happened after 20 years. Getting in and out of Turner was a huge pain in the rear end and there was nothing around it to do before or after games except maybe tailgating before. I can think of three people I know of that were mugged after games over the life of Turner. Cobb County came strong with plans to build what is now the Battery and did a good job with it.