Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ummm why have some of my app icons suddenly started changing to match the iOS icons?

I noticed Chrome first at the last app update, then Telegram did it too. Are iOS app icons going to infest my entire Mac

(10.15.7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Data Graham posted:

Ummm why have some of my app icons suddenly started changing to match the iOS icons?

I noticed Chrome first at the last app update, then Telegram did it too. Are iOS app icons going to infest my entire Mac

(10.15.7)

It's an eyesore, that's for sure.

Never thought I would miss Catalina.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm wating for the eventual upgrade to a full touch-screen iMac so I can use one to replace the wacom cintique entirely. :pray:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

(10.15.7)

yes because except for maybe slack and the like everyone is going to just start building universal apps

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And a universal app can't have different icons for desktop and mobile? Gross

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple MacOS and iOS apps have different icons under Big Sur/iOS 14

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Data Graham posted:

(10.15.7)

It's nothing to do with iOS or universal apps. They're changing to match the Big Sur icon design

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I’m not saying that they *can’t * but combining them means one less asset to manage.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Crunchy Black posted:

I’m not saying that they *can’t * but combining them means one less asset to manage.

Yeah I'm aware and I agree I like the idea of there being some consistency. Just making sure people know that isn't really the root cause

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I don’t think the rounded square icons are horrible in the MacOS dock...but it is horrible looking having a mixture of those and circles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Rounded square icons that are just a circle icon in a rounded square are bad.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

American McGay posted:

Rounded square icons that are just a circle icon in a rounded square are bad.

This is also true. On my work laptop that is still on Catalina the only square icon I currently have is Chrome and it looks ridiculously dumb.

I have to say I don’t like the menu font on EITHER Catalina (too big and bold) or Big Sur (too small and thin). Just meet me in the middle, Apple.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Totally Huge posted:

I have to say I don’t like the menu font on EITHER Catalina (too big and bold) or Big Sur (too small and thin). Just meet me in the middle, Apple.

Gimme back Charcoal

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just chiming in to say that I hate this too.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
FYI Looks like an M1 native Office is dropping

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bob Morales posted:

Gimme back Charcoal

On this note, the app icons for system-level and flagship Apple apps had better not stray away from the "tilted sheet of paper, with no surrounding tile or anything" kind of aesthetic they have consistently had since 1984, because come on

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
What's bad about the new icon design is that if everyone follows Apple, all icons will be rounded rects. It's good, actually, to have the basic shape of an icon provide some differentiation from others.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
While we're talking about some of the rockiness of the M1 transition, has anyone found anything particularly notable in terms of iOS apps on their new macs? My list is pretty short:
    1. Overcast - great podcast player, works perfectly and syncs up with my iOS devices
    2. Channels - runs and looks far better than any HDHomerun OS X app I've used
    3. The app for my home thermostat (Honeywell Total Comfort) runs, but just barely
    4. Plex runs quite nicely, but I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it instead of just walking over to my AppleTV

The 11.1 release theoretically smooths out some apps that had troubles running full screen before (I've read that HBO Max and Netflix are greatly improved).

Any A+ games I should look at? Any other nicer-than-mac utilities I should be aware of? I have an iPhone but I generally prefer a desk/big screen/keyboard and mouse for most "computery" activities.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Mac Mini just arrived

- it fast
- Big Sur looks like poo poo

edit: I mean the M1 can handle it fine but how in the hell do 4k YouTube videos take 50% cpu on Chrome

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 15, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's gonna be super funny when people start recalc races for giant Excel sheets and the AS versions wind up running slower than the Intel versions

Somehow I can see Microsoft managing to gently caress up coding for M1s just like they did for office 2011

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Looks like Firefox has universal support now.

Binary Badger posted:

Somehow I can see Microsoft managing to gently caress up coding for M1s just like they did for office 2011

I mean, would you really be surprised if it turned out they intentionally made the Windows versions perform better?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There’s x64 emulation running on Windows 10 ARM now now :aaaaa:

How shook must intel be after Apple Silicon. I wonder will MS finally put the effort in

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm trying to download and install Catalina on my Mojave Macbook Pro, but every link from a helpful "here's the appstore link" article I follow gives me a "cannot connect to app store" error. The rest of the app store is working fine.

Should this work, or is it impossible?

E: Never mind, worked when I clicked the link from Safari instead of FF

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 16, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Binary Badger posted:

It's gonna be super funny when people start recalc races for giant Excel sheets and the AS versions wind up running slower than the Intel versions

I got the office update it seems zippier now than it used to be. I can’t speak for how it handles enormous excels however.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

I mean, would you really be surprised if it turned out they intentionally made the Windows versions perform better?

Someone has to keep the delay loop industry alive..

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I got the new update to Big Sur on m1 that lets you resize iOS app windows actually makes the awful iOS app usable now. I’d recommend giving it a shot if you’re on an M1.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 16, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

any interest in an app that fakes the fan spin up sound on the M1 when the cpu load goes up a tiny bit>?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yep, Big Sur 11.1 build 20C69 (available in Software Update) gives you an iOS emulator that can go full screen and does so even for non-resizable apps on M1 machines.

Doesn't let you bypass protected video (so no screencaps for Amazon Video, Hulu, etc.) but very neat. Among Us looks pretty neat full-screen..

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm worried my Mac is spying on me.

I noticed that MicroSnitch was no longer starting on login after the update, so I opened it manually. Lo and behold, it showed my FaceTime camera was on, but not my microphone, and not what app was using it. The status LED next to the camera is off, which is concerning to say the least.

I ran lsof | grep "AppleCamera" and found that an app called "Google" (I'm guessing this is Chrome) was using the AppleCamera.aot resource, even though I didn't have Google launched.

I logged into another user account and MicroSnitch still shows my camera in use. This time, lsof is only returning MicroSnitch.

Where else should I be looking? I have no apps authorized to use my camera in System Preferences. Malwarebytes shows nothing unusual.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm worried my Mac is spying on me.

I noticed that MicroSnitch was no longer starting on login after the update, so I opened it manually. Lo and behold, it showed my FaceTime camera was on, but not my microphone, and not what app was using it. The status LED next to the camera is off, which is concerning to say the least.

I ran lsof | grep "AppleCamera" and found that an app called "Google" (I'm guessing this is Chrome) was using the AppleCamera.aot resource, even though I didn't have Google launched.

I logged into another user account and MicroSnitch still shows my camera in use. This time, lsof is only returning MicroSnitch.

Where else should I be looking? I have no apps authorized to use my camera in System Preferences. Malwarebytes shows nothing unusual.

If the LED is on, the camera is not on, right?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think some malware can circumvent that?

I fully uninstalled Google Chrome using CleanMyMac and that didn't fix it. At least Chrome is off my system now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The LED on the Macbook LED is wired in series to the webcam, meaning that the webcam can't receive power without powering on the LED. In theory, no software should be able to disable the LED but still power the camera.

Gruber talked to an Apple engineer a couple years ago about this when some "hackers can turn on your webcam" articles were circulating

quote:

Security researchers at Johns Hopkins released a paper in 2013 revealing that the indicator lights on Macs released prior to 2008 could be circumvented by software. I linked to this in 2016, wondering if the same exploit was possible on more recent Macs. Here’s an answer I received from a former engineer at Apple who was intimately familiar with the software drivers for Mac webcams:

"The original cameras had the problem that the JHU researchers detailed in the article that your linked to. Problem was that the firmware was downloaded on every boot and there was no security/encryption mechanism for verifying it. The part used was fairly common and the firmware was just in RAM (hence the loading after a cold boot), as oppose to flashed.

All cameras after that one were different: The hardware team tied the LED to a hardware signal from the sensor: If the (I believe) vertical sync was active, the LED would light up. There is NO firmware control to disable/enable the LED. The actual firmware is indeed flashable, but the part is not a generic part and there are mechanisms in place to verify the image being flashed. […]

So, no, I don’t believe that malware could be installed to enable the camera without lighting the LED. My concern would be a situation where a frame is captured so the LED is lit only for a very brief period of time."

The still photo problem — where the light only turns on for the instant the image is being captured — is interesting. But I would wager real money that the camera indicator light cannot be circumvented by software on any Mac released this decade.

I would more err on the side of a false positive of Microsnitch or something like an app crashing and not releasing the webcam permissions (but not necessarily using it)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

The LED on the Macbook LED is wired in series to the webcam, meaning that the webcam can't receive power without powering on the LED. In theory, no software should be able to disable the LED but still power the camera.

Gruber talked to an Apple engineer a couple years ago about this when some "hackers can turn on your webcam" articles were circulating
I didn't know this and it's actually a really cool design feature.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I just verified that an app can open /super/long/path/to/AppleCamera.aot even when it is prevented from using the camera in the Privacy pref pane.

This doesn't mean it's bypassing anything. I would guess that opening that file is just part of an API, not an indication that the camera can actually be used. I verified that the app blocked from using the camera could not in fact use it (despite having that file open) by trying its camera test feature. The camera's light did not come on and the preview window was black. It remained black even when I opened another app which does have camera privileges, which turned on the camera and used it.

Given that MicroSnitch seems to have last been updated 2 years ago for Mojave, I wouldn't be surprised if Catalina or Big Sur changed camera/mic access control mechanisms enough to make it give false info.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

updated my i7 mac mini to big sur, seems a little faster but the UI cahanges are very dubious. Finder is so washed out it feels disabled.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Music does a cool thing now where when I add a music not purchased in iTunes it copies them all into the Music directory but when I go back to play it Music can't find them and I have to either manually locate the file (that it just copied into the Music directory!) or delete the album and drag and drop it back in. It Just Works.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bob Morales posted:

Gimme back Charcoal

I miss Charcoal, too.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Quackles posted:

I miss Charcoal, too.

Bring back window blinds.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

after 9 years of faithful service I am selling my 27" iMac. I need to get all the photos out of the photos app and into an external hard drive. whats the best way to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Laserface posted:

after 9 years of faithful service I am selling my 27" iMac. I need to get all the photos out of the photos app and into an external hard drive. whats the best way to do it?

select all photos in photos.app and drag them to the drive, or select them all, file -> export