Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Spacegrass posted:

Here's a good article that got me into progressive stuff a week ago. I'm a metalhead by heart, though this article is good for someone just getting into progressive rock (Like me).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.loudersound.com/amp/features/10--heaviest-prog-albums-ever-pallbearer

this was a very cool list -- hadn't heard a lot of them. although I like pallbearer so it's probably not too surprising I like what they like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Spacegrass posted:

None of this stuff does it for me. I've found a few gems; like 'In the Cage' by Genesis; a couple of Nectar songs and that VDGG track, but after all of this searching my favorite Genesis song is still 'Land of Confusion' and my favorite Peter Gabriel song is 'Sledgehammer'. I guess my attention span sucks or I'm just not looking hard enough.

Some stuff by Traffic, perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDGorIWYz-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlcsKej_DDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH8oWL9UiAM

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spacegrass posted:

None of this stuff does it for me. I've found a few gems; like 'In the Cage' by Genesis; a couple of Nectar songs and that VDGG track, but after all of this searching my favorite Genesis song is still 'Land of Confusion' and my favorite Peter Gabriel song is 'Sledgehammer'. I guess my attention span sucks or I'm just not looking hard enough.

A few more suggestions, to try to help you identify if there's a certain variety of prog you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03m5kEkxSa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwpB6b6mhUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cqhDir7mSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5FVrUwjEI

(Suggesting another from King Crimson because they're all over the map)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQuAboEvags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y019L45P45Y

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
CAT FOOD

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
I'm kind of in a bind in regards to exploring more contemporary music. Stuff like the Mars Volta didn't appeal to me, and Porcupine Tree generally feels a little too plain. I did like stuff from Wobbler and the Dear Hunter though, as well as the obvious Tool and King Gizzard mentions, but can anyone recommend anything else in those ballparks?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Freakie posted:

I'm kind of in a bind in regards to exploring more contemporary music. Stuff like the Mars Volta didn't appeal to me, and Porcupine Tree generally feels a little too plain. I did like stuff from Wobbler and the Dear Hunter though, as well as the obvious Tool and King Gizzard mentions, but can anyone recommend anything else in those ballparks?

If you want something modern but still kind of classic, try Karfagen. The guy behind it really shows his influences. The Flower Kings are also very good.

I would recommend Thank You Scientist as well. They are maybe the least "plain" modern prog. And if you haven't been down this road yet, Big Big Train is one of my favorite modern prog bands.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Karfagen's boring as sin. I could make a joke there, but at the behest of modern standards and not being 12, I shall not.

black midi is the future of prog.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Freakie posted:

Do you listen to Hallas at all? This record is absolutely one of my all-time favorites, rocks p hard, takes influence from all the cool 70s bands, enough time changes to call it prog i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x24ckW7vHj4

Their newer record is a little more 80s-sounding, their older stuff is more sabbath-sounding, it's all good imo

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Freakie posted:

Gösta Berlings Saga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS2B3yVVcRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggEbkpZvY4w

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 15, 2020

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Freakie posted:

I only listen to contemporary prog so here's a quick personal rundown and what album to start with

* Opeth - "gothic" style, lovely lyrics but fun music - Blackwater Park
* Steven Wilson (early) - basically better porcupine tree, grace/raven/hand all perfect albums - Hand Cannot Erase
* Between the buried and me - buddhist blackened prog - Automata II
* Haken - super british, like old prog with new guitars - The Mountain
* Animals as Leaders - instrumental but they play their instruments well - The Madness of Many
* Leprous - singer in constant pain - Pitfalls
* TesseracT - if you like leprous this is fine too although I only like this album with a different singer - Altered State
* Pure Reason Revolution - also really british with terrible name, distinct harmonious sound with two singers - Eupnea

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

teen bear posted:

this was a very cool list -- hadn't heard a lot of them. although I like pallbearer so it's probably not too surprising I like what they like

Yeah I'm not sure if Socrates Drank the Conium is officially progressive rock; but I can't get enough of them.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Myrmidongs posted:

Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third is getting a remaster. If you haven't experienced that gem, or missed the bonus tracks that came on the European release, I can't recommend it enough.

Following up on this post, I finally got the new edition in the mail. Full disclose, this is easily one of my favorite albums, period. I will enjoy it no matter what. I've bought a fair amount of remasters leaving me scratching my head if if my ears are just not capable of hearing something other people can, because they sound nigh indistinguishable from their original. That is absolutely not the case here. Every single layer has a lot more clarity. There's a lot less muddyness to the overall mix. Percussion has a nice snap to it. The lyrics are easier to piece together into their insane dream poetry. Other particular things I really appreciate - the high frequencies of string sections have been pulled back during the more intense parts in songs like The Bright Ambassadors of Morning, and The Twyncyn / Trembling Willows. The result is a much less harsh, much better experience overall.This is the definitive edition of this album and fully retires the original.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGTKE-RKTU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Spacegrass posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if Socrates Drank the Conium is officially progressive rock; but I can't get enough of them.

If Phos isn't a prog album, than neither is Songs From The Wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjbG19VgUCQ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MasqueradeOverture posted:

If Phos isn't a prog album, than neither is Songs From The Wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjbG19VgUCQ

Songs from the Wood is one of my favorite albums of any genre.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That video reminds me of some prog questions I'd been pondering:

- What's with Steven Wilson apparently working through the entire prog canon bit by bit remixing it?
- Are his remixes worth it? How closely do they reflect the original intentions of the artists? Do they risk shoving everything into his particular aesthetic?
- Are there some Wilson remixes which are worth prioritising and others not bothering with or are they all good/all hideous butchery of the originals?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
his remix of King Crimson's Lizard brought the album to life in a way I'd never really experienced before. think that one was technically more than a remix though, I think he got access to all the masters and practically reconstructed it

other than that I've only heard his Yes remixes and they're definitely worth a listen. they definitely sound different than the originals, he takes a number of liberties here and there. they also sound really great. the purists may have some issues with them but I think they're awesome.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Warthur posted:

That video reminds me of some prog questions I'd been pondering:

- What's with Steven Wilson apparently working through the entire prog canon bit by bit remixing it?
- Are his remixes worth it? How closely do they reflect the original intentions of the artists? Do they risk shoving everything into his particular aesthetic?
- Are there some Wilson remixes which are worth prioritising and others not bothering with or are they all good/all hideous butchery of the originals?

Jethro Tull = GREAT!

Yes = GREAT!

King Crimson: ITCOTCK thru Islands = GREAT! Larks thru Perfect Pair = Too sterile, sound more like Porcupine Tree than KC.

Gentle Giant = GREAT! except for Octopus (too much low-end priority, not enough of the original's cold "bite").

Marillion = He's only remixed Brave, but his work reveals an anger within the album that was initially buried beneath, so GREAT! Also did a remaster (not a remix) of Misplaced Childhood that sounds great too. If only he did the rest of the Fish-era albums (the remixes for Script For A Jester's Tear and Clutching At Straws are Genesis '07 remix levels of bad).

Tears For Fears = Only did Songs From The Big Chair. Remaster = GREAT! Remix = Interesting??? It sounds very different since it utilizes multi-tracks that were still at full spectrum before the digital mixing stage cut the frequencies off at 20khz (a very 80's technique). Because of that, the remix doesn't sound like it's from the same decade at all.

Can't vouch for the rest of them, but he's done more hits than misses I think.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 18, 2020

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Well, dang, I actually forgot that I've already heard a bunch of Wilson mixes of King Crimson stuff via the boxes. (I guess the fact that they're all done in conjunction with Robert Fripp meant I trusted that they reflected Fripp's intentions better than him doing a remix by himself without supervision.)

I liked all of them, including the Larks to 3oaPP ones you didn't like, though I feel like that may be a factor of late Porcupine Tree sounding a lot like an updated King Crimson to me anyway. Will look into the Tull ones. (Then again I liked the recent Script and Clutching at Straws versions and the 2007 Genesis mixes so maybe I have bad taste...)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Speaking only of what I've checked out on youtube, the Tull ones are kind of inconsistent. Some of it sounds good ("Songs from the Wood" as posted above is fine, for instance) but a lot sounds extremely weird to my ears. In many cases I feel like the instruments do sound cleaner, but that the individual clarity comes at the expense of cohesion.

A good example of this is "Kelpie", which is a bonus track off Stormwatch and one of my favorite JT songs.

Here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyR7pdLDz_g

And here's the remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1rcaL0fpio

To my ears, the remix completely and entirely sucks the life out of the song. It comes across incredibly stilted. It's almost sad to hear such a fun and energetic song sounding so lifeless.

Not everything is quite this bad, but yeah. My favorite JT album is Heavy Horses and I think it came out mostly unscathed but I still prefer the original remix. On that one I feel like the bass got unfairly nerfed, particularly on the title track but also elsewhere. Ultimately I didn't spend any money on these anyway and the originals are still available on youtube and for purchase (I think?) so it's all good.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

Not everything is quite this bad, but yeah. My favorite JT album is Heavy Horses and I think it came out mostly unscathed but I still prefer the original remix. On that one I feel like the bass got unfairly nerfed, particularly on the title track but also elsewhere. Ultimately I didn't spend any money on these anyway and the originals are still available on youtube and for purchase (I think?) so it's all good.
Nerfing the bass on the last album before John Glascock's health went into a tailspin feels like kind of a bad look.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Glare Seethe posted:

Speaking only of what I've checked out on youtube, the Tull ones are kind of inconsistent. Some of it sounds good ("Songs from the Wood" as posted above is fine, for instance) but a lot sounds extremely weird to my ears. In many cases I feel like the instruments do sound cleaner, but that the individual clarity comes at the expense of cohesion.

A good example of this is "Kelpie", which is a bonus track off Stormwatch and one of my favorite JT songs.

Here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyR7pdLDz_g

And here's the remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1rcaL0fpio

To my ears, the remix completely and entirely sucks the life out of the song. It comes across incredibly stilted. It's almost sad to hear such a fun and energetic song sounding so lifeless.

I've not heard the Stormwatch one yet. Uh... wow.

That is an unfortunate left turn.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I've not heard the Stormwatch one yet. Uh... wow.

That is an unfortunate left turn.

Stormwatch is actually a solid album. Others around the time like Under Wraps and A were not, but there are some classics on Stormwatch. I love Dun Ringill.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Under Wraps is terrible.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

One of my hot(tish) Tull takes is that A is actually hugely underrated, not as big of a departure from Stormwatch as it's made out to be, and miles better than Broadsword and the Beast despite the latter being often viewed as some kind of return to form. I genuinely think some people just saw the goblin on the cover art and were hoodwinked into believing Broadsword was a return to the fanciful folk-rock of SftW or something like that, and it's not. There's a lot more 80s cheese on it than on A. And lyrically HH and Stormwatch were already moving towards themes of modernization, the conflicts between old and new, etc. Stormwatch, I think, only just earns its place in the so-called "folk rock trilogy". A feels like a natural continuation of it to me.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Glare Seethe posted:

One of my hot(tish) Tull takes is that A is actually hugely underrated, not as big of a departure from Stormwatch as it's made out to be, and miles better than Broadsword and the Beast despite the latter being often viewed as some kind of return to form. I genuinely think some people just saw the goblin on the cover art and were hoodwinked into believing Broadsword was a return to the fanciful folk-rock of SftW or something like that, and it's not. There's a lot more 80s cheese on it than on A. And lyrically HH and Stormwatch were already moving towards themes of modernization, the conflicts between old and new, etc. Stormwatch, I think, only just earns its place in the so-called "folk rock trilogy". A feels like a natural continuation of it to me.

This is not a hot take. A is factually better than Broadsword. :colbert:

It does sort of tie in with Stormwatch, and in a way, oddly since it was intended to be Ian’s first solo album, feels like tracks that may have been cut from the Stormwatch sessions.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

XBenedict posted:

This is not a hot take.

Ah hang on, I can do better. Uh... A Passion Play is their worst album of the 70s and the discarded outtakes are better than the actual release??

(It's still pretty good though.)

But I'm glad to get some backup on A. I've always had the impression that the six albums from Songs from the Wood to Under Wraps are generally seen by fans as two sets of three, i.e. SftW/HH/SW, and then A/Broadsword/UW, whereas I tend to think of them as three pairs. The former division makes some sense because of the lineup change, but yeah, I do think Stormwatch is at least as close to A as to the previous two, if not closer.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Glare Seethe posted:

Ah hang on, I can do better. Uh... A Passion Play is their worst album of the 70s and the discarded outtakes are better than the actual release??

I could see it, but I could make strong arguments for Too Old and War Child being worse.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

XBenedict posted:

I could see it, but I could make strong arguments for Too Old and War Child being worse.
Never got on with either of those two. I really like the renditions of material from them on Bursting Out, though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

War Child is their weirdest album and I love it for that. There is something slightly unhinged about it - Queen and Country and Sealion are good examples. It's a good tonic after APP's dour stiffness. And Skating Away... is incredible, one of their absolute best songs. The outtakes shouldn't count when judging the LP itself but Rainbow Blues is also amazing and easily one of my favorite Tull songs. It's not a very cohesive album, but it's really fun and I honestly can't think of a bad song from it.

Too Old is kind of their glam album. It's an interesting one. As a whole probably not very memorable, but individually it has a lot of very, very good songs I think. Quizz Kid, Taxi Grab, Salamander, Big Dipper, Pied Piper... there are some duds, for sure, some of the slower tracks in particular are kind of whatever. Incidentally also one where the Wilson remix I think is not very good (although in this case I believe the remix was based on the re-recorded version of the album, so the performances were slightly different to begin with - might be I'm just too used to the original recording).

With APP, though, I'd personally toss out like half the album. Most of the good stuff is on the second side, although admittedly some of it is genuinely great.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Speaking of remixes, I am listening to the 20th anniversary remix of The Perfect Element. It's very solid, bringing out little instrumental nuances everywhere, and much wider and brighter than the original (which I always thought was a little muddy on the low end but that could be taste).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-E5IvLn-U

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
It's one of the very few times other than Marillion's Brave where the remix renders the original obsolete. The original has some generic nu metal-sounding production (except not done by a professional so it sounds really thin).

The Remedy Lane remix was fine, but I always liked how that album sounded anyways so that was nothing more than an interesting experiment (also Jens Bogren mixes are usually more conjested sounding than I like). This on the other hand is a revelation.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hawklad posted:

Speaking of remixes, I am listening to the 20th anniversary remix of The Perfect Element. It's very solid, bringing out little instrumental nuances everywhere, and much wider and brighter than the original (which I always thought was a little muddy on the low end but that could be taste).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-E5IvLn-U

Oh no I am going to have to listen to this now huh.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dream Theater's newest live album is out.

Even studio overdubs can't save James in 2020. Disappointing, yet impressive that he can manage to start any word with the syllable WWWWAAAAAUUUUUUGHHHH and the word still comes out mostly recognizable.

e: christ James stop deep throating the mic and causing it to clip when you're speaking to the audience in between songs

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 29, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The good stuff👇
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vohE1UrP14

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I think this tune got a run during the nadir of Phish's opiate phase so it's interesting hearing it in this setting.

Kazinsal posted:

Dream Theater's newest live album is out.

Even studio overdubs can't save James in 2020. Disappointing, yet impressive that he can manage to start any word with the syllable WWWWAAAAAUUUUUUGHHHH and the word still comes out mostly recognizable.

e: christ James stop deep throating the mic and causing it to clip when you're speaking to the audience in between songs
I don't recognise any of the tunes other than SFAM.

James really sounds great on Dance of Eternity though you have to admit.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 5, 2020

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Because of course all the greats just hang out and jam with each other, Steve Unruh and Phideaux did a private concert consisting of the two of them and Valerie Gracious (Phideaux lead vocalist).

It's quite intimate, surprisingly well-recorded, and impressive what they can do with so few people. It's also pretty cool to see how they rearranged the studio versions of some of those songs to be appropriate for the setting.

https://steveunruh.bandcamp.com/album/71319-live-at-monforti-manor

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Liquid Tension Experiment teasing #3

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Omnikin posted:

Liquid Tension Experiment teasing #3

Shut up! You’re going to need to source that claim, bruv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

XBenedict posted:

Shut up! You’re going to need to source that claim, bruv.

Derp.

Teaser

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvCuDIMIzo&feature=youtu.be

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 17, 2020