Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Trabant posted:

Linocut print using oil ink on mulberry paper. Sorry for the photo instead of a scan -- it's very much not dry in the least, so a scanner is a no-go.

Well, you wouldn't want to run wet ink through a scanner! All that ink would be lost, like tears in rain. It needs time to dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, you wouldn't want to run wet ink through a scanner! All that ink would be lost, like tears in rain. It needs time to dry.

There's no :hmmyes: big enough!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

These entries kick rear end! Deadline is flexible up until I wake up, so I can get the late entries but I'll have my decision by tomorrow night.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I just emerged from a Cyberpunk induced coma and forgot I signed up for this. I'm late. If I get time to draw something tomorrow, I will put it up as penance but not as a participant, but that's pretty unlikely. I'm very sorry for failing the spirit of the thread.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

piL posted:

I just emerged from a Cyberpunk induced coma and forgot I signed up for this. I'm late. If I get time to draw something tomorrow, I will put it up as penance but not as a participant, but that's pretty unlikely. I'm very sorry for failing the spirit of the thread.

This isn't a Voight-Kampff test. You don't have to get all emotional.

Now describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about...your mother.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
All the submissions are so inspiring! I wish I'd found the gumption this round. I have a bunch of sad robots who made it to about 15% completion before getting tossed into the scrap bin :smith:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Time for submissions to be turned in is now up. I'm putting together the critique now, and we'll have a winner announced in a few hours. Thanks again to all who participated, this is going to be hard as hell for me to judge, which is a pretty awesome thing.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Doll House Ghost posted:

Bobot.

Media: Realistic Paint Studio

This is really fantastic work. I'm enjoying the range of colors, the melodrama juxtaposed with the cuteness of the robot, and the overall craftsmanship. I love the dreamscape depicted and the overall aesthetic. I'm getting huge NieR: Automata vibes, which is a good thing imo. I just wish the shading/shadows were more pronounced underneath the robot itself, to really establish a light source and help to create a focal point. Those are really minor complaints, because so much works for me with this piece.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Submitting early so I don’t tinker with it anymore.

This is so charming! I enjoy the 50's pastiche as it reminds me of those Ren & Stimpy in-universe commercials. I'm a kid raised in the 90's and Terminator was one of my favorite franchises ever when I was but a wee lad. My issue comes with the lack of shadows to really ground the figures in the image. I'm also not sure about the scaling of the robot itself, as the skeleton has a rather large head, and some of the detailing gets lost in various areas. Getting back to the lack of shadows, it makes the dog look a bit out of place. I'm fine with the font used, but I also think spacing is a bit of an issue there, as I think more could be done to emphasize that cute Kyle Reese is saying the quote in the drawing. It still wins me over in its creativity and pop-culture reference. This is unfortunately fan art and I'm partial to the source material so I'm going to have to disqualify it, I apologize.

Tree Bucket posted:

A Robot
Drawn on my tablet
At 3 in the morning, aagh
I'm really into this one. I love the choice of colors, the imposing image of the robot itself while it's doing something as gentle as engaging with plant-life in a seemingly post-industrial setting. The sense of atmosphere is really nice. The "head" of the robot stands out prominently against the cast-shadows of the overall figure and helps to establish the light source and gives us an undeniable focal point towards the center. My few complaints stem from the softness of the lighting on the arms, as there's not enough detail to insinuate if it's covered in moss or whatever greenery a techno-swamp would have. I'm also not sure about the placement of the plant as the leaf covers the left hand, as it makes slightly difficult to discern where the plant exists in space. This is a really strong piece, criticisms notwithstanding.
This is cute as hell, and I love seeing cats depicted all sorts of neat ways. I generally enjoy the colors used and I appreciate that the text doesn't stray to far from the color selection you've chosen. I'm also liking the shadows which help establish the figures in the painting. I'm not entirely keen on the simplicity of the background, as well as how the detail gets lost with the robo-mice. A bit of shading along the tail of the bot would do a lot to help add depth to the catbot. I also believe a bit more tweaking to the tail would help. Something could've been done with the placement of the text to make it a bit more dynamic using space in a clever way. I'm still overall really feeling the charm I'm getting from this particular piece.

I like the intention of this piece quite a bit. The dichotomy between a manufactured being vs. a living creature helps to establish mood in this work. I enjoy where some of the thick lines are applied, and some of the forms you've depicted here. I do think the cat's neck is a bit overly long, and the pervasiveness of the thick lines kinda detract from realizing the detail therein, and some of those details appear rather flat because of those aforementioned thick lines. I'm also not quite sure what the machine is supposed to do. Again, I think more shadows would help to play with the white space here, and it would also help things appear less flat. Still some great work, though!

Truman Peyote posted:

I didn't end up devoting much time to it but here's what I've got.

This is some pretty good work. I enjoy the perspective, I also enjoy the expressions seen on all of the figures in this drawing. I wish there was more to the robots themselves, as their innocuous nature kind of make it easier to overlook what's implied here. I also wish the rain were more prominent, and that the application of rain drops weren't as slap-dash in some areas. If you played a bit more with detail there, it'd really sell that this was a sort of "oppressive storm" of sorts to create mood and help sell what's transpiring in the drawing. I love the drawing of the vehicle, but it needs larger tires all around, heh.

Trabant posted:

Calling this one American Cybergothic :v:

Linocut print using oil ink on mulberry paper. Sorry for the photo instead of a scan -- it's very much not dry in the least, so a scanner is a no-go.
Ahhhh poo poo, a Blade Runner drawing! This is like a cheat code for me, because of course I'm a huge fan and this overall does not disappoint. I'm in love with the sharp details, and the very detailed background. So much here captures exactly what I want to see in a drawing and the medium itself really elevates it to an attractive piece. The faces need some work as well as some subtle shading (lol) to play off of the light source. This is really great work though, dope as hell. Unfortunately, this does count as fan art and simply in observance to the rules and to foster creativity in Artdome, I'm gonna have to disqualify it :/ so sorry!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 15, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh wow -- thank you! I really appreciate the kind words and feedback, esp. when all the other entries kicked absolute rear end. It feels great to hear when I land on something others liked.

That said... I now realize I pretty much cheated, even though I didn't mean to. Hell, void_serfer actually said that using Blade Runner was a "cheat code." It just happened that the phrase "American Cybergothic" popped into my head as I was browsing the thread and welp.

Anyway, the rules clearly say no fanart, and what I put up is definitely fanart. That's on me and my failure to read the OP fully, so I'll happily give this one up if the judge/mods wants me to and do better next time.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Trabant posted:

Oh wow -- thank you! I really appreciate the kind words and feedback, esp. when all the other entries kicked absolute rear end. It feels great to hear when I land on something others liked.

That said... I now realize I pretty much cheated, even though I didn't mean to. Hell, void_serfer actually said that using Blade Runner was a "cheat code." It just happened that the phrase "American Cybergothic" popped into my head as I was browsing the thread and welp.

Anyway, the rules clearly say no fanart, and what I put up is definitely fanart. That's on me and my failure to read the OP fully, so I'll happily give this one up if the judge/mods wants me to and do better next time.

I'm just weighing in as a participant here, but over in the Thunderdome we have some rules...and an unspoken rule that if you're good enough, you can get away with breaking those rules. I think your piece is really good and if it was void_serfer's favorite it should win. I think "no fanart" (or fanfiction, in the case of the other dome) is a great rule because it keeps out low-effort spam, or pieces that don't stand alone without knowledge of the source material. In this case, I don't think you need to know Bladerunner to appreciate the winning piece. Just my two cents as someone who's really enjoying art dome!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Pretty much what Sitting Here said. My general rule of thumb regarding the rules is that they are ultimately for the judge to enforce or ignore as they see fit. If void_serfer decides to make an exception because you didn't realize that fanart was against the rules then you're fine.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Trabant posted:

Hmm, yeah I admit that I also kinda forgot about that rule, which also disqualifies Krispy Wafer's submission and that hurts. Honestly, just to keep things fair, foster creativity and not set a precedent I'm going to change my vote to Tree Bucket:

This was my favorite completely original piece and the atmosphere established here is undeniable.

My apologies, everyone!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 15, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Awesome! Thanks for the (kind of technical) win, void serfer!
Thanks also for the crit- the hands and arms were bugging me and felt off, and I couldn't work out why...

Anyway, on to the prompt for this month:

:siren: DRAW (or paint/sew/engrave/pixelify etc) YOUR USERNAME :siren:

Goon usernames are pretty magical: they can be alternately intriguing, funny, baffling, gross or cryptic. I'd love to see people art-ing their SA forums user names. You can take things entirely literally, or use it as inspiration for your art; ideally it should be possible for us to spot some connection between the two...
The usual rules apply, although the "no fanart" rule can be bent if your username is actually "sonic_the_hedgehog_playing_backgammon" or something similarly specific.
Declare by: the very last second of 2020, because why not
Entries close: midnight AEST, 5th January 2021

e: for a more accurate title

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 15, 2020

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

void_serfer posted:

This is really fantastic work. I'm enjoying the range of colors, the melodrama juxtaposed with the cuteness of the robot, and the overall craftsmanship. I love the dreamscape depicted and the overall aesthetic. I'm getting huge NieR: Automata vibes, which is a good thing imo. I just wish the shading/shadows were more pronounced underneath the robot itself, to really establish a light source and help to create a focal point. Those are really minor complaints, because so much works for me with this piece.

Thanks for the critique, definitely agree on the shadows! And I was thinking about buying NieR: Automata the other day, so now I feel like I have to, haha.

And Tree Bucket, count me in on the next challenge!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doll House Ghost posted:

Thanks for the critique, definitely agree on the shadows! And I was thinking about buying NieR: Automata the other day, so now I feel like I have to, haha.

And Tree Bucket, count me in on the next challenge!

It's incredible but be aware that if you get the pc version you'll need to install a fan patch to get it working properly. It's worth it though, it's magically good.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Tempted...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad Trabant got a waiver. I know I was looking at the entries and thinking I might have an outside shot and then American Cybergothic got posted.

Still, no harm in losing to something like that.

Also, I'm in for the new prompt.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

thanks for the crit, void_serfer!

I think I'll have to be in for the next one, too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm glad that y'all were understanding of my screwup :)

Tempted for the new prompt as well, I'd just need to think of something that wouldn't result in an "it's a car :effort:" outcome.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trabant posted:

I'm glad that y'all were understanding of my screwup :)

Tempted for the new prompt as well, I'd just need to think of something that wouldn't result in an "it's a car :effort:" outcome.

Well, I'm only Angrymog here because Madcat was taken.

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Pet Portraits and Custom Commissions
I’m in for the next one! :) Drawing my SA name in a more detailed fashion will be fun.

Edit: do any of you participate in the Discord group Art goons’ art dome challenges as well? Or is that an entirely separate affair? I may pop back and forth in both.

RPGsArts fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 15, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I now regret my decision

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

HeartArt posted:

Edit: do any of you participate in the Discord group Art goons’ art dome challenges as well? Or is that an entirely separate affair? I may pop back and forth in both.

I almost entirely lurk in the Discord but thought about joining the artdome there. The turnaround there feels quicker though, and since I work in linocut only it's tough for me to align inspiration and time to cut and print. My entry here was kind of a rush job in itself, only accomplished because I had a weekend completely empty of other stuff.

But yeah, if I were any good in other mediums, I'd probably give the Discord 'domes a shot. The themes are fun in both places.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Truman Peyote posted:

I didn't end up devoting much time to it but here's what I've got.

I love this, the expressions on the people in the car are priceless.

void_serfer posted:

I like the intention of this piece quite a bit. The dichotomy between a manufactured being vs. a living creature helps to establish mood in this work. I enjoy where some of the thick lines are applied, and some of the forms you've depicted here. I do think the cat's neck is a bit overly long, and the pervasiveness of the thick lines kinda detract from realizing the detail therein, and some of those details appear rather flat because of those aforementioned thick lines. I'm also not quite sure what the machine is supposed to do. Again, I think more shadows would help to play with the white space here, and it would also help things appear less flat. Still some great work, though!

Thanks for the critique! It was originally going to be based off of a tree-trimming robot I saw in a video, but the source wasn't super clear and I couldn't find a reference for what the hell the arms actually look like.

Does anyone know what this guy is called? I've tried every combo of tree-trimming robot I can think of and no dice.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Does anyone know what this guy is called? I've tried every combo of tree-trimming robot I can think of and no dice.

Ask in the OSHA thread in GBS; they'll have a make and model and production year within 5 minutes.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Count me in for this prompt, as I have some ideas!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

So in.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Artdome signups are closing soon-!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Signups are closed!
The Arts are due on midnight AEST, 5th January 2021

Our artists are:
TVsVeryOwn
void_serfer
HeartArt
Truman Peyote
Krispy Wafer
Doll House Ghost

And after re-reading that list of names I can't wait to see what people come up with...

(Also, how do I go about getting that fancy Art Dome tag?)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
By being victorious in battle.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

Signups are closed!
The Arts are due on midnight AEST, 5th January 2021

Our artists are:
TVsVeryOwn
void_serfer
HeartArt
Truman Peyote
Krispy Wafer
Doll House Ghost

And after re-reading that list of names I can't wait to see what people come up with...

(Also, how do I go about getting that fancy Art Dome tag?)

Sorry, that's me being slack I'll scroll you up tomorrow.

As always feel free to pm me if I've missed one.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

felt cute, might delete later
Materials: electrical tape, CRT TV, camcorder, capture card, Photoshop

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Let's do this.

Yeah, there are some random pixels in the background and I think at least one frame is repeating. SO WHAT.

Materials: pixels, booze.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Let's do this.

Yeah, there are some random pixels in the background and I think at least one frame is repeating. SO WHAT.

Materials: pixels, booze.

We're allowed animation? gently caress

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Materials: bristol board, india ink, watercolor.
I'd been considering these materials for the cover of the comic book I've been working on so this is also a sort of experiment for that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

TVsVeryOwn posted:

We're allowed animation? gently caress

I don't know what the usual Dome rules are, but I'd be happy to allow it. As long as it's, like, not an entire short film or something.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Medium: Affinity Designer

I did a dumb thing and Affinity refuses to open my work file ever again because it's 2,7Gt (lol) so this is less ready than I'd liked. But I wanted to post something and arguably there's both a doll house and ghost so oh well. Open in new tab to look at deets.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Get some head on the pickle couch.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Pet Portraits and Custom Commissions

Ran outta time on this one, but wanted to do something artsy fartsy and I did, so success!
Medium: procreate