Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The original mission in vanilla was the one where the player gets mirage tanks for the first time so here , shortly after you establish a base, a few of them appear and Zofia comments on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet X03: Operation: Brain Wash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okW5M8KPI_I
Operation: Brain Wash

Now that the Allies have been convinced to join glorious Mother Russia, we can now focus our efforts entirely against Yuri. The fools have found a Psychic Dominator in London, but the fools have not taken the necessary precautions, and the forces there have fallen victim of Yuri's mind games

We're back to London, UK!

Objective: Destroy Yuri's Psychic Beacon and Psychic Dominator.

Briefing: The Allies have discovered a Psychic Dominator in London, England. Yuri has taken control of the Allied strike force to help defend his near-complete Dominator. Free the Allies and join forces with them to defeat Yuri...but beware, the Dominator could become operational at any moment.

Author's note: An interesting mission, but one that feels like it solves itself rather quickly.

Name: Alexander Romanov
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Nicholas Worth

Premier of the Soviet Union. Has a pet turtle named Harry; no dove though. A rather jovial fellow. Either has a medical condition, or is affected by Yuri by some fashion. Allegedly murdered by General Vladimir. Murdered by Yuri. Sends a tape to Zofia so that she may relay it to the Commander.

Name: Lt. Zofia
Voiced/Played by: Aleksandra Kaniak

Intelligence Officer to the Commander. Loyal until the end, she is the Commander's most trusted subordinate.

Tesla Tank
RANGE: Short/Medium
ARMOR: Heavy
WEAPON: The wrath of Nikola Tesla
COST: 1200

The Soviet Tesla Tank is a large ground vehicle that fires a Tesla charge instead of a ballistic weapon. This charge is effective against both units and structures.

Author's Note: A previously skirmish-only unit, it is a decent unit that I simply don't use enough. Deals a good amount of damage, it is an anti-unit rather than anti-building vehicle.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "The Psychic Dominator has been destroyed and the Allies believe we fought for a common good. Fools."

Slower than Par Time: "This Psychic Dominator has been neutralized, but I doubt the Allies will never help us again."

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Slower than Par Time: "This Psychic Dominator has been neutralized, but I doubt the Allies will never help us again."

So they'll still help us out after this blunder? Great!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

THE BAR posted:

So they'll still help us out after this blunder? Great!

Yeah, that's pulled straight from the game!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The SEAL blows up the southern bridge if you try to cross it, while the Sniper shoots Boris if you just load him up in a transport and try to sneak up to the psychic beacon from the southwest corner.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This map makes fighting Yuri look deceptively easy for the Soviets, because Yuri doesn't have his full complement of nasty toys yet. Terror Drones are still good infantry killers and excellent against Lashers (Gatlings can usually kill them too quickly), you can flood defences with conscripts, and the Tesla tank is an excellent support unit for Rhinos. It fires over walls, which is handier than it might seem at first glance. It hasn't got the HP and armour to be your only front-line tank but it can kill all sorts of units quickly.

Famously, Tanya is not mission-critical on this map. If she is killed, Sofia and Yuri both make wry remarks about it. Nice to see she sasses everybody and not just the Allied commander.

Also, note the change in how Tanya works now she is no longer unique. Allied Navy Seals can blow up buildings with C4 and kill infantry in one burst too; Tanya's schtick is that she is immune to mind control and can also blow up tanks with C4. Her pistols fire fast enough to kill light vehicles too. It may feel like suicide but Tanya can take on a gatling tank and win if it's a 1-on-1.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Someone redid the briefings (no YR) based on the greenscreen videos from the DVD Collector's Edition. They look wonderfully soapy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GTUvykFtA

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ugh that looks TOO clean, I hate it! Haha.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh this is a fun little romp of a mission, and its always nice seeing Boris in action again. There is a few things you can mess around with on your side of the river, such as snagging the neutral Allied Refinery and destroying the Grinder to slow Yuri's flow of funds. But with such a short par time, its pretty obvious to just go and rush, as between the surviving allied units and your Tesla Tanks, plus Tanya and Boris, you have more then enough to run over Yuri's base. Love how insanely defended with Gatling Turrets the Dominator is though, tad excessive there Yuri. The Tesla Tank being back is always nice, and it is pretty powerful, being able to fry just pretty much anything thanks to its high attack of 135 electric(150 elite) and mere 60 cooldown(50 elite). Poor range and HP though, but screened with some Rhinos or a few Apocs they will do major work and are a highlight unit.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The Teslas also have the neat gimmick of being able to shoot over walls, which usually only the V3s, Dreadnaughts and Kirovs can do.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet X04: Operation: Romanov on the Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Uif4ZZ73w
Operation: Romanov on the Run

The Premier's plane has been shot down and he is now hiding in Morocco attempting to evade Yuri's forces. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the Premier?

Quite likely to be Casablanca, though I suppose once could point to Rabat as well.

Objective: Rescue Premier Romanov

Briefing: Premier Romanov has been shot down by Yuri's forces. We must locate the Premier and take him to the airport so he can be rescued. Yuri has built a tough defense around the airport that we need to eliminate before the Premier's rescue can be secure.

Author's note: Like many desert levels, it feels far too open for its own good. That being said, you get most of your toys by now, and its fun to see demolition trucks and superweapons together.

Intelligence Officer to the Commander. Loyal until the end, she is the Commander's most trusted subordinate.

Demolition Truck
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Carbomb
COST: 1500

The Libyan Demolition Truck is a suicide vehicle designed to create maximum mayhem and carnage in the enemy base. This truck carries a small nuclear charge. When the truck is attacked, the charge detonates, destroying everything in a wide radius.

Author's Note: Yet another ex-skirmish only unit, the Demolition Truck is a scary foe to encounter at any moment. Keep your distance from these, regardless of who's side its on!

Battle Bunker
ARMOR: Steel
COST: 500
POWER USAGE: None
PURPOSE: Basic defensive structure

This new defensive structure has no actual defences of its own, but it can be fortified by Conscripts to provide formidable firepower. When Conscripts are placed inside a Battle Bunker, it operates exactly like a garrisoned building. Because it is a Soviet structure, the Battle Bunker can be repaired when damaged.

Author's Note: While it can only garrison Conscripts, they can be powerful when used properly, and moreso when combined with other defenses.

Industrial Plant
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 2500
POWER USAGE: 200
PURPOSE: Economic building

When built and placed, this structure significantly reduces the cost of all vehicles. Additionally, the Industrial Plant reduces the build time of these units accordingly.

Author's Note: If you ever plan on building large numbers of vehicles, you absolutely must get an industrial plant to go with it.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Premier Romanov has been rescued and safely evacuated thanks to your quick and decisive elimination of Yuri's base."

Slower than Par Time: "Premier Romanov has been rescued and safely evacuated but he is not happy. It took long for you to rescue him."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 9, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Apologies for the delay, life got busy yesterday and it slipped my mind.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Soviet X04: Operation: Romanov on the Run

Tesla Tank
RANGE: Short/Medium
ARMOR: Heavy
WEAPON: The wrath of Nikola Tesla
COST: 1200

You forgot to update this one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HardDiskD posted:

You forgot to update this one.

Of course! :doh:

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

In my recent playthrough I forgot to take Romonov back to my base after discovering his location. Yuri got him and just kept him in a little cage not far from the airport. I don't think there was a time limit or anything strangely enough.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Apologies for the delay, life got busy yesterday and it slipped my mind.

Premier Romanov is not happy

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

This mission always causes me trouble, it being the premier Initiate building whack-a-mole level.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Laughing Zealot posted:

In my recent playthrough I forgot to take Romonov back to my base after discovering his location. Yuri got him and just kept him in a little cage not far from the airport. I don't think there was a time limit or anything strangely enough.

I always reset if Yuri captured Romanov and got close to the bridge :shrug:

THE BAR posted:

This mission always causes me trouble, it being the premier Initiate building whack-a-mole level.

Yuuup! V3's are your only good option too, which is frustrating, unless you want to reserve your Iron Curtain for two groups of Demo Trucks?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yuuup! V3's are your only good option too, which is frustrating, unless you want to reserve your Iron Curtain for two groups of Demo Trucks?

It really comes down to Yuri being weirdly defensive, as you mentioned. Gatling towers deal too much damage, and are strangely durable too, so swarming things, as you'd expect to do as the Soviets, doesn't really work, either. Doing surgical stuff in the campaign feels more like an Allied thing to do.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Chronojam posted:

Premier Romanov is not happy

I don't know why. He was clearly very drawn into the amusements offered at this Moroccan bar

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Urgh, this mission. The constant stream infantry and the clusters of garrisoned buildings makes it a real slog, especially with the Soviet's lack of effective counters to Yuri clones.

IIRC lower difficulties give you a tiny amount of reinforcements when you find Romanov, including a few desolators - which are very useful since they are not significantly affected by mind control (they can't hurt each other).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Slaan posted:

I don't know why. He was clearly very drawn into the amusements offered at this Moroccan bar

He even brought in the butler lady from the base game!

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
It'd be entertaining if in story the Soviets started selling action figures of the Romanov with the parachute.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bookthief posted:

It'd be entertaining if in story the Soviets started selling action figures of the Romanov with the parachute.

Action Romanov!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Romanov should've been unhappy with you only if you saved him faster than par time, not slower.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yep. He got to go parachuting, dancing, drinking, a first rate seat to an E-sports game and otherwise had a great time. What's not to like Romanov? This is why people don't like Soviets :(

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

gently caress off Batman posted:

Romanov should've been unhappy with you only if you saved him faster than par time, not slower.

He's unhappy because his bar tab comes due if you take too much time. :cheers: Anyway, kinda mixed on this mission, love the concept, and the Demo Truck is amazing, but man, the flood of infantry and especially Yuri Clones becomes grindy as heck. Plus as is the case with the Allied desert map, resources are scarce and you don't start with a lot to begin with. Do like the Battle Bunker though, it is actually decently sturdy and doesn't use any power, and gives basic Conscripts a purpose outside of the early game. A few Bunkers backed by Tesla Coils is a nasty defense indeed. The Demo Truck is the RA1 nuke truck taken to the next level, and is terrifying to both use and face. Least the driver seems happy/insane about it. Oh, and all the happens if Romanov gets mind controlled is that he is taken to a small fenced in area south of the main Yuri base. Course, as soon as you free him you face the real chance of him being melted by Yuri infantry or just re-mind controlled again, but he can sit there forever under Yuri's control without issue.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 11, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet X05: Operation: Escape Velocity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6JUKaO3c2E
Operation: Escape Velocity

With Premier Romanov safe and sound back in Moscow, we can once more focus on dismantling Yuri's forces across the globe. The newest priority are the Boomer submarine pens, following the reveal of their location. Take what naval forces that can be spared in the Pacific to the island of Fiji and end his boomer sub production!

I'm pretty sure that's Fiji, Westwood. Come on.

Objective: Destroy Yuri's Boomer Submarine Pen

Briefing: We have uncovered Yuri's secret Submarine Base on an uncharted island in the Pacific Ocean. The threat of Yuri's Boomer Subs must be neutralized!

Author's note: A stressful mission, it's got a disgusting amount of Boomer subs to deal with and the result of destroying the objective is... scary, to say the least.

Premier of the Soviet Union. Has a pet turtle named Harry; no dove though. A rather jovial fellow. Either has a medical condition, or is affected by Yuri by some fashion. Allegedly murdered by General Vladimir. Murdered by Yuri. Sends a tape to Zofia so that she may relay it to the Commander.

Siege Chopper
RANGE: Short-Long
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Blackhawk Cannon and 160mm Artillery
COST: 1400

With the creation of the Siege Chopper, the Soviets now have quick strike capabilities from the air. When flying, this vehicle is mobile and effective against enemy infantry units. When deployed, the Siege Chopper lands and reveals a massive weapon capable of quickly destroying buildings and stationary targets from long range.

Author's Note: I've never used this outside the final Allied mission in the previous campaign, and that went poorly.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Your swift attack will keep this secret island a secret forever. Yuri's forces are in full retreat. Press on, General--Defeat Yuri!"

Slower than Par Time: "Yuri's Submarines are no longer a threat, but your lengthy siege has given Yuri ample time to form another devious plan."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 16, 2020

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So it looks like the way to use siege choppers is to use a decent group of them, and basically use them like Prism Tanks, because they can actually outrange prisms. With mass they can destroy Yuri clones before they get in range and pretty much anything else approaching from the ground too. Give them some anti-infantry support for swarms and you have a decent team.

But they are fiddly, and the fiddly factor is probably more important.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

I was stressed out just watching that stream of units heading towards the base.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Expert soviet players on the youtubes seem to really love using the siege copters, yeah.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Crawling up the map with alternating groups of Siege Choppers is one of my favorite things to do.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow that ending was intense, even on normal that stream of units is nasty, but hard took it to another level. :eyepop:
From that super long par time I am guessing that Westwood didn't expect you to just fly up the bay and bomb the Naval Yard, but instead slowly push with Siege Choppers or something. Fun map though, being able to choose your landing area is really neat, and each area has a very different feel and a balance of resources vs defensibility/frequency of enemy attacks. Always took the south beach as well though, 3 Oil Derricks is just to tempting.

I really want to like the Siege Chopper, as it really does fill in a big missing area for the Soviets when it comes to siege, but man is it tough to use well. They do pack a very large punch when in siege mode though, and are handy to have around your base if nothing else to first strike any enemy units and counter any siege units of their own. Still, defiantly looking forward to the next map, its a if not THE highlight of the entire expansion in my book.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

UED Special Ops posted:

From that super long par time I am guessing that Westwood didn't expect you to just fly up the bay and bomb the Naval Yard, but instead slowly push with Siege Choppers or something.

The map is clearly designed to show off artillery, with long winding paths, multiple height levels, and the laser-moai being big targets that will blast your direct-fire units but which cannot themselves move. The way they turn their giant Yuri heads is a laugh though. The animation is delightfully clunky.

And yes we are now approaching peak Red Alert 2. Buckle up, comrades, it's going to get glorious.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

IIRC the third objective doesn't apply on easy, which makes the map a lot easier.

I never realized you could sneak past the Boomers at the start, which lead to me always using the top right landing spot. In some ways it's a messier position, since you can get attacked from both sides, but it is less vulnerable to units on top of cliffs (I think they get extra range somehow). Also you need to deal with Yuri's mining operation knocking on your door after a couple of minutes.

Offensively I've always gone with siege choppers. Naval assaults are kind of a slog due to the boatload of Boomers around the map, and the winding cliff paths make ground assaults take forever. If you control them carefully you can take out all the defenses with no casualties. Just watch out for gatling tanks - siege choppers are made of paper. On the bright side, once they're on the ground theyre valid targets for the Iron Curtain, which helps a lot with keeping them alive. They make decent backup for the battle bunkers too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

UED Special Ops posted:

Wow that ending was intense, even on normal that stream of units is nasty, but hard took it to another level. :eyepop:
From that super long par time I am guessing that Westwood didn't expect you to just fly up the bay and bomb the Naval Yard, but instead slowly push with Siege Choppers or something. Fun map though, being able to choose your landing area is really neat, and each area has a very different feel and a balance of resources vs defensibility/frequency of enemy attacks. Always took the south beach as well though, 3 Oil Derricks is just to tempting.

I really want to like the Siege Chopper, as it really does fill in a big missing area for the Soviets when it comes to siege, but man is it tough to use well. They do pack a very large punch when in siege mode though, and are handy to have around your base if nothing else to first strike any enemy units and counter any siege units of their own. Still, defiantly looking forward to the next map, its a if not THE highlight of the entire expansion in my book.

I think the swarm at the end is more of a response to a player barreling toward Kirovs and not being prepared for the result of "winning" the mission quickly.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

I think the swarm at the end is more of a response to a player barreling toward Kirovs and not being prepared for the result of "winning" the mission quickly.

Fair enough but hard defiantly has a fair few more patrolling units running around at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

UED Special Ops posted:

Fair enough but hard defiantly has a fair few more patrolling units running around at least.

I wouldn't be surprised but I just mean that like a lot of other stuff in the campaign and Yuri's faction itself so much of its seems to be explicitly designed as a kind of counter to a pretty typical player strategy. Usually its just a unit/building countering another unit/building - Teleport in transports filled with engineers? Mind control turrets. Garrison buildings with infantry to stop almost every early game unit? Gatling tanks. In this case, all you need to do is destroy 1 key target? Well you'll just build enough basic defenses to last until you can kill it with Kirovs and mission accompl-oh poo poo.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

I wouldn't be surprised but I just mean that like a lot of other stuff in the campaign and Yuri's faction itself so much of its seems to be explicitly designed as a kind of counter to a pretty typical player strategy. Usually its just a unit/building countering another unit/building - Teleport in transports filled with engineers? Mind control turrets. Garrison buildings with infantry to stop almost every early game unit? Gatling tanks. In this case, all you need to do is destroy 1 key target? Well you'll just build enough basic defenses to last until you can kill it with Kirovs and mission accompl-oh poo poo.

Agreed, Yuri's faction definitely is annoying to deal with using the usual tactics. Least so far in the campaigns sell all/All to Hunt is a lot more common when the AI is hurting, an all to rare a thing in C&C(so far anyway). *memories of hunting down fence posts in TS intensify*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet X06: Operation: To The Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4HMF9SSxW8
Operation: To The Moon

I can't do the briefing justice.

N/A

Objective: Destroy Yuri's Moon Base

Briefing: Yuri plans to launch himself to the moon after initiating his Psychic Dominator wave over Earth. We need to install a base on the Moon so we can build an attack force capable of destroying Yuri's moon bases and his Lunar Command Center.

Author's note: An interesting mission, but slightly too limited in its changes for it to be memorable for its gameplay. No, the obvious takeaway is the cutscene.

Intelligence Officer to the Commander. Loyal until the end, she is the Commander's most trusted subordinate. Has expressed her affection towards the commander on numerous occasions.

Cosmonaut
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: Lunar Laser
COST: 600

No entry found in the manual.

Author's Note: While it is a reskinned Cosmonaut, and there are no differences between the two defensively, they differ in their armament. The lasers fire faster and have a longer range than a rocketeer's weapon.

quote:

Rocketeer
RANGE: Short-Medium
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: 20mm Auto-Cannon
COST: 600

The Rocketeer is the aerial assault version of the simple Allied GI. Armed with a powerful weapon and strapped into an equally powerful jetpack, the Rocketeer hovers over the battlefield. Rocketeers are excellent in providing anti-air defence and air-to-ground attacks on weaker targets.

Author's Note: An aerial infantry that does well against infantry but is rather vulnerable to flak. Great at harassing, though I never really used them prior to this run.

RulesMD.ini posted:

[Lunarlaser]
Damage=25
ROF=20
Range=7
Projectile=InvisibleAll
Speed=40
Report=LaserCosmoAttack
Warhead=LUNARWH
Bright=yes
IsHouseColor=true
LaserOuterSpread= 0,0,0
LaserDuration = 15
IsLaser=true ; this flag tells the game to use the special laser draw effect

[20mm]
Damage=25
ROF=30
Range=5
Projectile=Invisible3
Speed=100
Warhead=SSA
Report=RocketeerAttack

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "You moved so quickly that Yuri couldn't do anything but watch his lunar establishment crumble. The moon is now a part of the glorious Soviet state."

Slower than Par Time: "Yuri's lunar base has been destroyed. Congratulations, General."