Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Finale rocked a tonne, and now we get a part 2. Insanely blessed. And Aki and Himeno are alive and happy and going on hot dates, it's great!

Well, half of that is true.

(I would not be remotely surprised if Himeno and Aki had hosed, at least. Himeno seems like she'd suggest it as a 'casual thing', and Aki'd probably go along.

...and now it's sadder, because Aki'd think it was fairly unimportant to Himeno, given how she's drunkenly made out with every member of Special Section 4, only realizing how much it meant to her when he got the letters. Geeze, Aki.)

Japan's also going to have a Chainsaw Man café next year (presumably with at least one Makima themed entrée), and apparently, Jump is going to be running a feature giving Chainsaw Man news for at least a few weeks. So that's all neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

chiasaur11 posted:

Japan's also going to have a Chainsaw Man café next year (presumably with at least one Makima themed entrée)

The Makima special should be a chef's choice tasting menu. :colbert:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sorry if this was discussed, but will we still have access to chainsaw man on the viz app if it's on a different jump book?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry if this was discussed, but will we still have access to chainsaw man on the viz app if it's on a different jump book?

Spy x Family is on the app and its Jump+

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

As is hells paradise jigoraku. It just means no spoilers tbh

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I wouldn't be surprised if the Primal Devils play a big role as antagonists in Chainsaw Man 2. I certainly hope so.
The Darkness Devil was so loving cool and was such a good depiction of a power beyond comprehension

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oh that's a great thought. Earlier in the thread we had a whole discussion on what the other big bads of hell were. We still have to go there at some point but it would feel odd going there immediately with a child we barely know

plz take Kobeni with you Denji if only for how terrified she'd be. Yet somehow make it out of every encounter unscathed

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Baron La Croix posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Primal Devils play a big role as antagonists in Chainsaw Man 2. I certainly hope so.
The Darkness Devil was so loving cool and was such a good depiction of a power beyond comprehension

Yeah this was my thinking. Also maybe possible returns of things devoured by CSM

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was very happy to see this is just the end to part 1. With where they left things off I definitely see enough potential to do a really good part 2, and I'd be perfectly content to see things keep going with breaks in between arcs. This kind of "tell a cool story then time jump/change circumstances between arcs" setup is a good idea and I wish more manga did it. Give the mangaka a break, let them take their time to plan out more of the story ahead of time for the next arc, and build anticipation with the readers for the manga's return. And even better if you structure the arcs so that they're every 100 issues or so, and not the wild One Piece style of "do everything up to the white bear and then do something similar to the arc break that Chainsaw Man seems to be doing.

I'm sure plenty of manga do time jumps between story arcs, I just wish more of them tossed out official labels for what the names of those arcs are and gave the mangakas more time off.

Also please give me more of making me think a manga's ending and then putting up an "End of part 1/end of this arc" kind of label, I'll never get tired of being psyched out about that being done to me when it's done with a manga I like.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Guessing this is from a Jump scan? Fujimoto describing himself that way... incredible

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
tbh I wouldn't be surprised if dorohedoro designs heavily influenced the chainsawman devil/fiend designs

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Reading Chainsawman first absolutely ruined Jujutsu Kaisen for me. Every time I start reading it I can't help but just think "boy, this is Chainsaw Man but way more generic"

Like, it's fine and all, but it just pales in comparison to CSM. Whenever I try to read it I just wanna go re-read CSM.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
That poster has strong high school band energy and I love it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I love Pochita

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

CodfishCartographer posted:

Reading Chainsawman first absolutely ruined Jujutsu Kaisen for me. Every time I start reading it I can't help but just think "boy, this is Chainsaw Man but way more generic"

Like, it's fine and all, but it just pales in comparison to CSM. Whenever I try to read it I just wanna go re-read CSM.

HONESTLY this is how I felt reading JJK, but seeing it animated def gives it new life for me. Some beats feel way cooler in motion + the production's been pretty fantastic imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hell yeah I had said the doro studio would be a good fit!! Fujimoto stays winning

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

NowonSA posted:

Also please give me more of making me think a manga's ending and then putting up an "End of part 1/end of this arc" kind of label, I'll never get tired of being psyched out about that being done to me when it's done with a manga I like.

I definitely loved it when Vinland Saga did it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jjk strays from the shounen fighting manga mold somewhat. unfortunately chainsaw man does so too, in a similar way as jjk, but csm is also far more creative and strange. it's a comparison that probably wouldn't even be made if they weren't running concurrently.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

Baron La Croix posted:

The paneling for that encounter was wicked, too. Never seen it done that way before.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jjk strays from the shounen fighting manga mold somewhat. unfortunately chainsaw man does so too, in a similar way as jjk, but csm is also far more creative and strange. it's a comparison that probably wouldn't even be made if they weren't running concurrently.

Ehh their initial setup is fairly similar too. A brash high-school-aged-guy fuses in a unique way with powerful devil, teams up with kind of bratty devil hunter girl and detached dark-hair devil hunter guy who can summon animals as his devil power in order to collect body parts of a powerful devil that other devils use to get stronger, as part of an organization where their group is led by a mysterious yet highly powerful devil hunter with weird eyes.

Like yeah their stories definitely diverge, but the initial setup is VERY similar.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ehh their initial setup is fairly similar too. A brash high-school-aged-guy fuses in a unique way with powerful devil, teams up with kind of bratty devil hunter girl and detached dark-hair devil hunter guy who can summon animals as his devil power in order to collect body parts of a powerful devil that other devils use to get stronger, as part of an organization where their group is led by a mysterious yet highly powerful devil hunter with weird eyes.

Like yeah their stories definitely diverge, but the initial setup is VERY similar.

Both the leads are also under a death sentence from the higher ups if they step out of line,

It's weirdly similar for how different the stories go.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheComicFiend posted:

HONESTLY this is how I felt reading JJK, but seeing it animated def gives it new life for me. Some beats feel way cooler in motion + the production's been pretty fantastic imo

They have a similar air to them but thats where it ends.
JJK took a while to find its own groove and its a lot more standard shonen faire, but i def recommend it. The cast has real fun chemistry.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Chainsaw Man will go full blast Shin Megami Tensei and end with Chainsaw Man eating the God Devil

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

HerraS posted:

Chainsaw Man will go full blast Shin Megami Tensei and end with Chainsaw Man eating the God Devil

mh i think he's going to eat the hell devil destroying hell so demons die for good when they are killed

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

TheComicFiend posted:

I think the anime also doesn't have a lot of the weird disjointed transitions that JJK occasionally has. I've not had a moment in the anime yet where I'm suddenly confused as to when /where we are and what's happening which I recall happening a few times in the manga.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JJK also referenced the same thing the same week iirc and the JJK author said he thought Fuji did it better

That’s from CSM 25 Jun 2nd 2019. Don’t have the JJK one as haven’t read it yet

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

JJK also referenced the same thing the same week iirc and the JJK author said he thought Fuji did it better

That’s from CSM 25 Jun 2nd 2019. Don’t have the JJK one as haven’t read it yet

It's actually the panel where a nail is flicked in from out of panel. Which is a much odder coincidence than just having people being sliced open in general.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
cool fanart and this cafe edit cycling through the entire cast from /a/

https://i.imgur.com/LfyyOqz.mp4

yum fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 16, 2020

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Can someone do the woman yelling at cat meme with makima and that oochita

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Can someone do the woman yelling at cat meme with makima and that oochita

No.

But I can do something better.

I can offer a link to a place selling the Poochita plush.

It's kind of expensive, shipping will take a while and I've heard mixed things about reliability (not that they outright fail to get things to people so much as you need to repeatedly contact them when there are delays to make sure you get what you ordered), but it's at least one source.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I just read the entirety of Chainsaw Man today.

It was very, very good.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Scholtz posted:

It was very, very good.

:hmmyes:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

HerraS posted:

I mean, if we're going the Megaten Devils-eating-each-other-game he has to break out the matrix first.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

It was very, very good.

It is, yeah.

One thing that stands out is how the events of a given chapter are unpredictable, but when you look back, it all makes sense, usually with a good amount of foreshadowing.

It's also fun how much the manga respects the reader's intelligence. Like how it never outright says Makima used Tendo's contract with Punishment to kill those Yakuza gangsters back during Katana. It just gives you all the hints and expects you to put things together yourself.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad it was an ending so perfectly tuned to inspire lovely domestic fanart in the wait for part 2

https://twitter.com/heureoreo/status/1339479411465146369?s=20

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmfaoooo

Really hoping for plenty of Kishibe in part 2. Imagining him living a way of the house husband type life

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Lmfaoooo

Really hoping for plenty of Kishibe in part 2. Imagining him living a way of the house husband type life

Kishibe and Kobeni are pretty much the only adults Denji knows. If he needs a babysitter while he's going to school, they're probably getting asked.

(And Kobeni is terrible at saying no.)

Also, managed to catch some of the Festa. Not much news, but Rin wore a "Makima is Listening" shirt, and Fujimoto had an interview where he was represented by a picture of Pochita reading volume 1 of Chainsaw Man.

Haven't found a backup translation, but apparently Fujimoto revealed a few things about the making of Chainsaw Man. Again, grain of salt on this, (and some bits might be more reliable than others) but apparently:

1) Denji's name was partially inspired by "天使", and Aki-47 wasn't just a pun fans made, but one of the inspirations for his name. His horrible fate was set from when he first appeared.
2) Part 2 is (surprise surprise) going to be about Denji in high school.
3) Nayuta is basically Denji and Makima's daughter, by the same two-become-one-flesh reasoning I gave upthread. (Which explains why she has some of Denji's mannerisms.)

Not exactly expecting Makima to show up at all later, and part of why I like Fujimoto is that he's willing to leave people dead, but... there is some room for interesting things if Makima left any kind of a ghost behind. Denji as a solo parent has a lot of promise (especially since he was raised by his abusive father with his mother dead before he could remember her, leaving him with some nice parallels to his own past) but Denji and Makima pulling Nayuta in different directions could make for some good humor and/or drama.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chiasaur11 posted:

Not exactly expecting Makima to show up at all later, and part of why I like Fujimoto is that he's willing to leave people dead, but... there is some room for interesting things if Makima left any kind of a ghost behind. Denji as a solo parent has a lot of promise (especially since he was raised by his abusive father with his mother dead before he could remember her, leaving him with some nice parallels to his own past) but Denji and Makima pulling Nayuta in different directions could make for some good humor and/or drama.

Well Power implied it was possible to get devils to remember their previous identities so it's not totally off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

RatHat posted:

Well Power implied it was possible to get devils to remember their previous identities so it's not totally off the table.

I though she was just saying to become friends with the Blood devil because that is the closest they could come to being together again, not that the devil would ever remember their previous time together.