Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

mewse posted:

I steer clear of Razer and have been happy with my logitech g600. There's some corsair mouse with the thumb pad now too
I was looking for something wireless. How’s the 604 or is there another one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tugboat Willy posted:

What’s the goon consensus on the Razer Naga Pro? I was looking to get a mouse I could use in MMOs.

I ended up going with the Naga Pro after having no good wireless MMO mouse option. I'm liking it a lot with a small issue or two (kind of inconvenient). There's kind of a weird issue that crops up occasionally with one or two of the buttons not being responsive and I have to unplug the receiver and plug it back in, and sometimes the buttons reverting back to the original number rows when I'm pressing them and then... going back to the num pad bindings I set up.

I'm sure both of these issues are strictly with my setup but taking out the receiver and plugging it back in gets it going again.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IMO MMO mice are dumb unless you have a disability that prevents you from using a keyboard properly or you do. I've never known a serious MMO player who actually used one. A huge heavy clunky mouse is the exact opposite of what you need for marathoning.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

bandaid.friend posted:

I've got a Corsair Scimitar, it's one of those mice with tons of buttons on the side for MMO games. The first one I got I returned to the shop because the scroll wheel's resistance was uneven all the way around and would often double-click on pressing

The one I got back is better in that regard, but the left main button is harder to push than the right. The button will go through a few hundred clicks where it's only a little harder to push, then a few hundred clicks where it's much harder. If I put the mouse to my ear, I can hear a rubbing or scratching sound when I depress and lift the left button that's not audible with the right

I'm going to feel a bit dumb when I try to explain to the store staff the mouse clicks wrong, but on the other hand it's an expensive mouse. Apart from the faults, it's nice enough. The software's totally dorky

I made this post 3 years ago about the Corsair MMO mouse. I swapped it at the shop a couple of times within the month for one that worked nicely. It's been working fine since then with heavy usage, and the middle mouse button lasted until this month. That's fine, I guess. Sometimes it works if I press real hard, so maybe the switch has shifted inside?

I never figured out how to use the software properly, it's really obtuse, and it uses like 3% CPU in task manager for some reason? I got the mouse and the buttons working the way I want, but I can't figure out profiles and onboard profiles

I used the side buttons in an MMO for a year or so, but never touched them since. Sometimes they got stuck down, and they collect a lot of gross gunk that's difficult to get out

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
my roommate has really tiny hands, and I'm trying to find a new mouse for her. she had a Razer Deathadder Elite she stopped using because it was too uncomfortable, but didn't like the Logitech M720 I traded her (which had been too small for my long-rear end spider fingers). right now, she's on a little 3-button mouse I'm pretty sure came from a dollar store, or like, the checkout line of a Fry's Electronics in 2007, between the gimmicky flash drives and the Bawls Energy fridge.

this is both a Christmas gift and a practical gift for myself because right now she doesn't have a push to talk button and this means any time I need to ask her something while she's playing games I have to wait for her to alt tab and mute Discord, not ideal for either of us! so what's a solid tiny mouse, right handed or left handed, with 4 or 5 buttons, with good enough tracking for gaming? don't need any wireless stuff though it's fine as long as it runs for a while off a AA or something and doesn't require a goofy charging setup.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

abraham linksys posted:

my roommate has really tiny hands, and I'm trying to find a new mouse for her. she had a Razer Deathadder Elite she stopped using because it was too uncomfortable, but didn't like the Logitech M720 I traded her (which had been too small for my long-rear end spider fingers). right now, she's on a little 3-button mouse I'm pretty sure came from a dollar store, or like, the checkout line of a Fry's Electronics in 2007, between the gimmicky flash drives and the Bawls Energy fridge.

this is both a Christmas gift and a practical gift for myself because right now she doesn't have a push to talk button and this means any time I need to ask her something while she's playing games I have to wait for her to alt tab and mute Discord, not ideal for either of us! so what's a solid tiny mouse, right handed or left handed, with 4 or 5 buttons, with good enough tracking for gaming? don't need any wireless stuff though it's fine as long as it runs for a while off a AA or something and doesn't require a goofy charging setup.

Viper Mini is pretty dang comfortable for my small hands (16cm), it's 30 USD on Amazon right now. All the buttons are customizeable, though personally I miss having multiple profiles per game, but it's something I can live without.

The Glorious Model O- and the Kone Pure Ultra are also popular for small hands, if they're within your budget

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

abraham linksys posted:

A Viper Mini or Burst Pro probably would be your best bet, but some other options are the Abko Cox CM600 (a Logitech Mini Optical clone from South Korea) or another small mouse from Asian vendors like HK Gaming or G-Wolves (both brands sold on Amazon), the Cooler Master MM710/711/720 mice, or the Glorious Model O-/D- if holey mice wouldn't bother her. If Razer made a wireless Viper Mini I think it'd be a no brainer, but for now all of their wireless mice have been the full sized versions. Logitech makes the G305 as a small wireless mouse but I'm hesitant to recommend them considering everyone but me eventually gets theirs to double click. I think it happens way slower in semi-arid to arid environments but for now brands that use optical switches (like Razer or Roccat) are the most reliable.

demostars fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 16, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does anyone turn off their mice when they're not using them, or do mice use little enough energy in standby that it's not a concern?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

IMO MMO mice are dumb unless you have a disability that prevents you from using a keyboard properly or you do. I've never known a serious MMO player who actually used one. A huge heavy clunky mouse is the exact opposite of what you need for marathoning.

I know a few world class players who do. Games with dozens of binds require some special considerations for inputs and that means either really falling in love with the left half of the keyboard and modifier keys or something else. There is a lot of value in putting binds in a place that is controlled by the mouse hand and so is its something you learn, it's a preferable option.

Still, most do not, but it's usually a product of familiarity, not of wrist fatigue. Your keyboard fingers usually wear out before your wrist.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone turn off their mice when they're not using them, or do mice use little enough energy in standby that it's not a concern?

I turn mine off because the G700 eats batteries like snacks, but also because it has enough sensitivity that walking by my desk occasionally vibrates it into turning the monitor back on. And it's not like I have the DPI set super-high so I guess even 1/4th of a pixel move will stop the screen saver.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Having a bunch of extra buttons was super useful back in the day when I played WoW in a ~serious~ fashion because I could bind most of my heals to mouse buttons and modifiers and just click raid frames to execute the spells I wanted. I'm still sad this doesn't work with FF14's crappy interface/macro support.

It would also work fairly well in GW2 for eg. utility spells or the few classes which work with kits/bundles. Also "huge heavy clunky" what :psyduck:

Klyith posted:

I turn mine off because the G700 eats batteries like snacks, but also because it has enough sensitivity that walking by my desk occasionally vibrates it into turning the monitor back on. And it's not like I have the DPI set super-high so I guess even 1/4th of a pixel move will stop the screen saver.
Yeah my G700 turns the monitor back on randomly if I don't turn it off, too. The MX Master I also use doesn't do that.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 16, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

K8.0 posted:

If you're a chain smoker you can play one handed while your left holds a cig. More serious players can still make use of easily accessed macro buttons, possibly in the context of multiboxing. It's a narrow niche but it's not any dumber than FPS oriented features like on the fly DPI switching.

Rinkles posted:

This depends a lot on the specific mouse model, cheap ones can eat battery life like crazy. Logitech's more recent stuff is heavily optimized to reduce power draw but that's also the root cause of the double click issue that's been plaguing them.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have everything mapped to my keyboard & my mouse buttons in WoW. While I can see the use of MMO mice, this way I can play on my laptop when on the go without issue (I have a five button MX Anywhere for my laptop, so similar setup to at home).

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rinkles posted:

I honestly don't but I don't have a gaming mouse just a basic Logi M705 and now a newer quieter model based on thread reccs.

The keyboard and mouse pair have eaten exactly 0 of their initial AA(?) batteries in the two years I've used them pretty consistently.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Any thoughts on this Jelly Comb ergo mouse?

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Jelly-Comb-Connection-MV045-Black/dp/B07XB52RLR

The grip design looks like it might work better for me than the Anker Vertical style which I have trouble not moving while clicking and it's certainly cheap enough to try, just wondering if anyone here has used it or something like it before.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Is there a standard mouse recommendation for someone with giant hands?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dublish posted:

Is there a standard mouse recommendation for someone with giant hands?

razer deathadder

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A lil late but I briefly had an mmo mouse (some logitech, I forget the model) for one-handed gaming, and it was great for that but sucked as a mouse since it was uncomfortably heavy to move around.

As for mouse batteries, I just had the batteries in my g402 die yesterday after a year, maybe year and a half, of use / idling.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have a Mionix Castor that is dying on me. I've updated the firmware and I'm still having it become unresponsive in Windows 10. Sometimes simply unplug/replug will make it recognize, and other times I have to do a full reboot and move it around to other USB ports.

My keyboard doesn't exhibit this behavior, so I doubt it's anything going on with the USB controller and rather than a 4+ year old mouse is finally giving up the ghost.

The Castor is no longer in production or I'd just buy it again, and nothing from Mionix current line up seems to have the same shape (I prefer my MB4/5 to be on the left side of the mouse, and NOT ambi). What's a good mouse that would have a similar shape?

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Anti-Hero posted:

I have a Mionix Castor that is dying on me. I've updated the firmware and I'm still having it become unresponsive in Windows 10. Sometimes simply unplug/replug will make it recognize, and other times I have to do a full reboot and move it around to other USB ports.

My keyboard doesn't exhibit this behavior, so I doubt it's anything going on with the USB controller and rather than a 4+ year old mouse is finally giving up the ghost.

The Castor is no longer in production or I'd just buy it again, and nothing from Mionix current line up seems to have the same shape (I prefer my MB4/5 to be on the left side of the mouse, and NOT ambi). What's a good mouse that would have a similar shape?

Maybe a Zowie EC2 or equivalent clone (like the Glorious Model D, G-Wolves Skoll, or Pwnage Ultra Custom)?

Problem is the Castor is much flatter, but it's a strange shape that I'm not sure has a direct equivalent. You could consider buying a paracord if its the cord dying on you (which sounds likely unless the RGB is staying on) and replacing it, which will have the added benefit of making the cable lighter and less prone to kinking.

E: There's also a third-party seller on Amazon selling a yellow one for $20 if you just want to get the same mouse, don't care what the color is, and live in the States: https://www.amazon.com/Mionix-Multi-Color-Ergonomic-Optical-MNX-01-25001-G/dp/B071CJVRNL?th=1

demostars fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 19, 2020

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

demostars posted:

Maybe a Zowie EC2 or equivalent clone (like the Glorious Model D, G-Wolves Skoll, or Pwnage Ultra Custom)?

Problem is the Castor is much flatter, but it's a strange shape that I'm not sure has a direct equivalent. You could consider buying a paracord if its the cord dying on you (which sounds likely unless the RGB is staying on) and replacing it, which will have the added benefit of making the cable lighter and less prone to kinking.

E: There's also a third-party seller on Amazon selling a yellow one for $20 if you just want to get the same mouse, don't care what the color is, and live in the States: https://www.amazon.com/Mionix-Multi-Color-Ergonomic-Optical-MNX-01-25001-G/dp/B071CJVRNL?th=1

Wow, that's a really neat tool! I'll have to play around with it.

I saw the Amazon third-party seller, but woof to that color. Thanks for suggesting it though.

Sadly, the RGB light is staying on with the mouse, so it sounds like it wouldn't be the cord. Not even sure if I could replace it (at it appears to be a paracord atm).

I pulled out my old trusty Logitech G400 which is working while I figure out my next moves. The G400 feels nice and honestly I think it is a better fit for me than the Castor as I'm more of a palm grip, or hybrid palm/claw. Anything "new" that might fit into that paradigm?

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Anti-Hero posted:

Wow, that's a really neat tool! I'll have to play around with it.

I saw the Amazon third-party seller, but woof to that color. Thanks for suggesting it though.

Sadly, the RGB light is staying on with the mouse, so it sounds like it wouldn't be the cord. Not even sure if I could replace it (at it appears to be a paracord atm).

I pulled out my old trusty Logitech G400 which is working while I figure out my next moves. The G400 feels nice and honestly I think it is a better fit for me than the Castor as I'm more of a palm grip, or hybrid palm/claw. Anything "new" that might fit into that paradigm?

Probably just want an MX518 Legendary then. Personally there are mice that I’ve preferred since moving on from my G400s (like the aforementioned Zowie EC series or the G703), but there are some things I still really like about it like being able to rest my ring finger on the right side of the right mouse button.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

demostars posted:

Probably just want an MX518 Legendary then. Personally there are mice that I’ve preferred since moving on from my G400s (like the aforementioned Zowie EC series or the G703), but there are some things I still really like about it like being able to rest my ring finger on the right side of the right mouse button.

Neat.

Any thoughts on wireless vs. wired? I have a mouse bungee and if I'd need to plug the mouse in to recharge I'm not seeing a huge advantage to getting something wireless.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Anti-Hero posted:

Neat.

Any thoughts on wireless vs. wired? I have a mouse bungee and if I'd need to plug the mouse in to recharge I'm not seeing a huge advantage to getting something wireless.

The advantage of wireless is "no wire". If you've never used a wireless mouse for extended time, it's hard to put just how much the lack of wire changes the feel. I used to have a homemade mouse bungee type cord keeper way back when, and there's no comparison.

The expensive logitechs have wireless charging & come with mousemats that are chargers, but I don't really get what the problem with plugging in to charge every once in a while is. I plug in my mouse at night, I plug in my phone at night, I plug in my wireless headphones once a week or so. That's how most wireless things are.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Apparently I wrote this in the accounting thread rather than here, gonna piggy back off Demo's post.
-------------------
Amazon has some of the color Castors for about $20.
I picked up a shark grey one as a backup a while ago. No RGB but that's not a big deal for me.

Additionally, I believe this is the Chinese supplier for Mionix parts: http://www.motospeed.cc/index.php?ac=article&at=read&did=490
Some googling also showed me this: http://www.ludosgaming.com/products/flamma-mouse

I do not have any experience with either of those, just pointing them out.
-------------------

One thing to note that's not shown in those mouse shape comparisons is that the Castor's left edge slopes inward. Relatively unique aspect of it, just be aware that most other mice aren't like that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Cool, thanks for all the input, folks.

I'm leaning towards a wireless mouse now after some more thinking. Only problem is the two models I'm interested in (Glorious O and Logitech Pro Superlight) are all sold out with early Q1 eta on restock.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

If anyone happens to have a Glorious Model D, could you tell me how the middle mouse button on it feels? There's a sale for it and I'm thinking of getting one for dotalikes because fully relaxed palm grip is basically mandatory for them, and my usual FPS mouse can't really do that very well. The middle mouse button should be really easy and snappy to press since I love to use that button for drag scrolling, so it's a dealbreaker if the mouse has a bad one. I'm currently using an old EC1 right now, but it's a little busted up and heavy.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

Cool, thanks for all the input, folks.

I'm leaning towards a wireless mouse now after some more thinking. Only problem is the two models I'm interested in (Glorious O and Logitech Pro Superlight) are all sold out with early Q1 eta on restock.

Just checked Glorious on a lark this morning to get on the waiting list for the O Wireless and it was in stock! Ordered one.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Just wanted to chime in and say in spite of Razer's reputation, don't sleep on the Viper Ultimate.

I picked one up expecting to hate-return it, but it's so good. Every time I pick it up it puts a smile on my face. I skipped wireless until now because I hated the battery weight, but this is the best of both worlds. The dock is awesome, but if I had to run wired, the cable is way nicer than my old SteelSeries. It also looks badass with the RGB tramp stamp turned off. I uninstalled Synapse after turning off the RGB and put a tiny drop of Krytox in the wheel and that solved all the issues I had with it. I highly recommend it, especially if you can find the dock version on sale for $99 like I did.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Minorkos posted:

If anyone happens to have a Glorious Model D, could you tell me how the middle mouse button on it feels? There's a sale for it and I'm thinking of getting one for dotalikes because fully relaxed palm grip is basically mandatory for them, and my usual FPS mouse can't really do that very well. The middle mouse button should be really easy and snappy to press since I love to use that button for drag scrolling, so it's a dealbreaker if the mouse has a bad one. I'm currently using an old EC1 right now, but it's a little busted up and heavy.

I just bought a second one as the first I got was from the first run and had a few build quality issues that started to annoy me. The new one fixed all the issues but the wheel press is pretty tight and doesn't have much travel space so it feels a bit harder to press compared to the first one which was snappier. This didn't annoy me as much since I only use mmb occasionally.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I hope the wireless XM1 becomes a thing. Maybe it's time to get a 3d printer.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fingat posted:

I just bought a second one as the first I got was from the first run and had a few build quality issues that started to annoy me. The new one fixed all the issues but the wheel press is pretty tight and doesn't have much travel space so it feels a bit harder to press compared to the first one which was snappier. This didn't annoy me as much since I only use mmb occasionally.

That's disappointing. I might still get one and rebind drag scroll to mouse 4 instead. The EC1 feels so antiquated after getting used to the Viper, and I think the Model D's slightly smaller size would fit me better anyway.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 22, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Question for anyone who's more in the know or up to date on these things than me:

Is there any chance Logitech does a G403/G703 Superlight? Are there enough fans of the G403 out there that they'd likely make such a mouse?

I loved almost everything about the G403 wireless (shape, rubber texture on the sides, side buttons). But I've since moved on to much lighter wired mice (Model O- and recently Model D before the D- came out) I do miss using the G403 but can't really go back to the added weight.

I was eyeing the Pwnage Ultra wireless as well but the honeycomb side grips looks like it might get annoying. Currently holding out for a wireless Model D- or even better, a Superlight G403.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think I might check out the G-Wolves Sköll instead, though again, not sure how great the middle mouse button is on it. Some guy on reddit says it's light to press, though. Maybe the person above me could check it out as well, seeing as it's another EC2 style mouse. I'll be sure to report on how it is if I do get one. I thought the Xtrfy M4 looked interesting too, but I don't typically like back-hump style designs so I'm not as excited about that.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I've got the skoll , and I can't think of a time when I thought ' boy this middle mouse button is really light'

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I tried a skoll a year ago but can't remember how the wheel was, sorry. The holes on sides were too annoying to me to keep it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Minorkos posted:

G-Wolves Sköll

i like that it comes with a spare cable. never seen that before.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fingat posted:

I tried a skoll a year ago but can't remember how the wheel was, sorry. The holes on sides were too annoying to me to keep it.

Annoying how? Just the texture made it hard to grip, or what?

I feel like the Model D might still work out best for me, so I'm guessing I should just order a bunch of the EC clones at once and just return the ones I don't like. The RMA process is kind of annoying but I guess I would only have to bear it once this way. Funny enough, I feel like I don't really even need a new mouse to replace the EC1, but now I'm kind of addicted to trying new ones out for fun, just for a tiny bit of extra comfort and speed. I'm going to be known as the weird mouse guy in my area

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 26, 2020

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Minorkos posted:

Annoying how? Just the texture made it hard to grip, or what?

I feel like the Model D might still work out best for me, so I'm guessing I should just order a bunch of the EC clones at once and just return the ones I don't like. The RMA process is kind of annoying but I guess I would only have to bear it once this way. Funny enough, I feel like I don't really even need a new mouse to replace the EC1, but now I'm kind of addicted to trying new ones out for fun, just for a tiny bit of extra comfort and speed. I'm going to be known as the weird mouse guy in my area

It seems in some gaming situations I grip the mouse tightly and it would dig into my thumb. I had to use the included grips but then the mouse felt way too wide. That was another good thing about the D its thinner in the middle and the button are wider and have better comfort grooves. Don't worry about trying too many mice. I went through probably close to 15 in a couple years. I thought I might end up on a list at Best Buy and Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any mice out there that actually perform well over Bluetooth, or is that just the nature of Bluetooth? I have a Logitech MX Master and MX Anywhere. Both are great when used with their receivers, but they lag and stutter constantly over Bluetooth on every device I've tested. I just got a new MacBook without USB A ports, so I'm not able to use the receiver anymore without a giant dongle hanging off the computer, but switching to Bluetooth has been miserable.