Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Speaking of which, there’s a dude on YouTube- Youthman— who built a HT out of La Scalas and like four giant subs stacked on top of each other and it looks like it slaps

IIRC he made a false wall and put 3 La Scalas and two columns of two subs apiece behind an acoustically transparent ~140” screen

I’m not making fun of him, mind you, this is the 100% right kind of audiophile idiocy, the exception that proves the rule

Also I’m p sure it topped out at 5.4 (5.2?)

I think it was 3 LSs and 2 Heresys in the back. And then I think the Heresys were also eventually swapped out for two more La Scalas. La Scalae?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

polyester concept posted:

it doesn't help that modern home designs make it so loving awkward to place anything anywhere without it being in the way somehow. everything is open concept. just give people a rectangular room for christ sake

It’s this, really. I could have the most tuned and balanced system ever built, but my apartment living room is going to make it sound like poo poo. I have a hand me down Sony receiver and a Bose Acoustimass setup, with the back speakers running off some cheap wireless poo poo that Best Buy said would probably mostly work, and it’s aggressively fine. It’s not like I’m going to have a loving meltdown if my AEW stream in a web browser doesn’t feel like I’m sitting in Florida with other people because it’s not mixed for 5 plus speakers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

polyester concept posted:

just like you don't actually need lossless music, you don't actually need lossless surround sound. just gimme a 5.1 ac3 stream til im dead in the ground

Taking something that was compressed with a lossy codec and then compressing it again with another lossy codec can lead to weird quantization errors. Not that it will necessarily be audible, but it could be in edge cases.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Aren't La Scala's a bit audiophool?

I'd argue you'd get much better performance out of properly equalised and measured JBL/Revel/Harman speakers in a treated room for literally a tenth of the cost

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yep, agreed. Overall JBL are affordable for how good they are.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

La Scalas predate good measurement so they have a pronounced "house sound" that some people like.

Even 2 small bookshelf speakers and a sub are in my opinion enough for most people, provided you have some flexibility in positioning. It's the center channel that turns setting up a sound system into a fiasco. It was originally designed to be positioned behind the screen so everyone but the few people who don't use projectors are already starting at a disadvantage. Then you have a poorly placed speaker that almost all of the audio goes through.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

KillHour posted:

There's a lot of :actually: with S/PDIF because it's a lovely, old format and doesn't have enough bandwidth to do more than 2 channels of uncompressed audio and doesn't support lossless compression for 5.1/7.1.

Basically, if you're sending two channel (stereo) audio, it's identical to using RCA. For surround sound, it doesn't support any of the modern formats and is generally not ideal but will still work "fine" for most people. HDMI is just way better in every way though so use that.

I'm using my Raspberry Pi to get streaming audio functionality on my old receiver, but the built-in DAC is awful and staticky so I started looking at replacements. I ordered this thing to get a digital out port using the I2S interface, and while researching options I found pages like this about stuff like the processor clock frequency. It sounds like audiophile nonsense to me, but I just got my first real sound system recently and don't know what I'm talking about so maybe I'm off the mark.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm using my Raspberry Pi to get streaming audio functionality on my old receiver, but the built-in DAC is awful and staticky so I started looking at replacements. I ordered this thing to get a digital out port using the I2S interface, and while researching options I found pages like this about stuff like the processor clock frequency. It sounds like audiophile nonsense to me, but I just got my first real sound system recently and don't know what I'm talking about so maybe I'm off the mark.

The RPi 4 rev b is the first one with a usb out that doesn't suck for audio so a hat is actually the right solution. That hat looks a lot like the hifiberry version. Once you have a decent digital out you're golden. All the reclocking and other bullshit in the world can't make digital audio sound any better. There's this guy on AVS who's constantly pimping reclocked Sonos gear [only $550 additional cost!] and when I called him on the fact that improving the jitter noise floor from -97dB to -105 literally can't make 16/44 sound better because the format only has a -93dB noise floor in the first place he got pretty mad.

Spend your money on good speakers and a pretty good amp.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Coxswain Balls posted:

I clicked the latter link expecting to find audiophile woo, but it is not. The author identified a real, non-woo, and significant jitter problem in the I2S signals generated by a RPi.

Whether or not it matters depends on the equipment connected downstream. It's possible to design an I2S receiver with integrated reclocking to recover a much cleaner clock from that signal. It's also possible to design one which just accepts it as-is and propagates all the jitter to the DAC.

qirex posted:

The RPi 4 rev b is the first one with a usb out that doesn't suck for audio so a hat is actually the right solution. That hat looks a lot like the hifiberry version. Once you have a decent digital out you're golden. All the reclocking and other bullshit in the world can't make digital audio sound any better. There's this guy on AVS who's constantly pimping reclocked Sonos gear [only $550 additional cost!] and when I called him on the fact that improving the jitter noise floor from -97dB to -105 literally can't make 16/44 sound better because the format only has a -93dB noise floor in the first place he got pretty mad.

I'm not that familiar with the RPi world. What makes early Pis bad at USB audio? A decent USB-to-I2S with its own local clock source to run the I2S seems like a cheap and good way to shave this yak.

Reclocking isn't actually bullshit when the i2s signal is alternating between two different clocks which are not the desired clock (but hopefully, over the long term, average out to correct). You're not going to get a clean DAC clock out of that signal without some TLC.

Said TLC certainly doesn't need to cost $550, of course.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 15, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BobHoward posted:

I'm not that familiar with the RPi world. What makes early Pis bad at USB audio? A decent USB-to-I2S with its own local clock source to run the I2S seems like a cheap and good way to shave this yak.

Reclocking isn't actually bullshit when the i2s signal is alternating between two different clocks which are not the desired clock (but hopefully, over the long term, average out to correct). You're not going to get a clean DAC clock out of that signal without some TLC.

I'm not 100% on what made the older RPis so bad at USB audio, something about a flaky controller on a shared bus? I didn't really start evaluating it until Sonos pissed me off earlier this year and I started looking at Roon. The TLC costs $25 like that daughterboard he linked but on newer ones USB DACs apparently work just fine. I'll probably end up doing something in a nice case with a DAC built in so it's a single box solution.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Aren't La Scala's a bit audiophool?

I'd argue you'd get much better performance out of properly equalised and measured JBL/Revel/Harman speakers in a treated room for literally a tenth of the cost

Probably from an objective “sound quality perspective”, but aside from the aforementioned Klipsch house sound, the really big Klipsch horn speakers are just really good at moving stupid volumes of air. Like even if they don’t get particularly deep they’re enormous, you’ve got like a 15” horn loaded woofer in a 4’ tall cabinet that can displace this relatively massive amount of air. And that’s before we add those bigass horn tweeters that Klipsch is so known for, and just how loud they can get with tiny amounts of power.

I think that combination of sensitivity, size, and for lack of a better term “brashness” really works in a home cinema setting, when the goal is so often to be overwhelmed by and enveloped in sound.

It’s kind of like comparing the experience of a well-tuned subwoofer that can get really deep to the point where you feel it and a fancy, super tarted up concert speaker that simply blows your head off with scale. It may not shine in certain aspects of home theater performance, like say—getting the most dynamic range or replicating a score with the highest degree of fidelity—but in other ways it’s very good at replicating the theatre experience by virtue of simply being so *big*. It reminds me of my HPM-900s and arguments about “East Coast” vs “West Coast” speaker voicing.

But also yeah—JBL is probably the one other major audio company aside from Yamaha that I straight up fanboy over, because they’re just so good at what they do, pretty much everything they make is at least ‘good’ or ‘as good as it can be in this segment’, and they’re completely no-nonsense about using their massive corporate scale and resources to make *actually* audiophile gear that’s *actually* well engineered and manufactured, and affordable + accessible to normal consumers instead of only chasing the bottom or going into luxury brand audiophoolery.

And the value for money that you get with their theater and JBL Synthesis stuff is probably unmatched if you really break it down. Also orange+blue is the best color combination even if it’s shared with the worst, most cursed NBA team

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

qirex posted:

The RPi 4 rev b is the first one with a usb out that doesn't suck for audio so a hat is actually the right solution. That hat looks a lot like the hifiberry version. Once you have a decent digital out you're golden. All the reclocking and other bullshit in the world can't make digital audio sound any better.

I think it's just a Chinese copy of that same hat, but the Hifiberry version isn't available anywhere in Canada so I went with the clone route for my 3B+. The equipment I got is probably not great but it's better than the speakers in the TV I found and repaired, and I paid $50 total for everything from someone local (a Panasonic SA-XR70 receiver, Yamaha NS-AP1500 speaker set and YST-SW010 sub for an apartment). It's a proper (if basic) receiver with HDMI so whenever I feel the need to upgrade to better speakers I should hopefully be able to do that with minimal issues.

I'm a complete home audio neophyte and I'm having fun hooking stuff up to it and learning how it all works, but as I do research I'm having some trouble discerning things that will cause actual problems from the BS, outside of the obviously insane stuff like cable risers and magic rocks. The new home theater system has me building better antennas for OTA radio and TV for fun and the information around that seems way, way more grounded than the audio stuff. It's mainly why I've started reading this subforum and thread lately, since people here seem less likely to believe that kind of audiophile nonsense.

BobHoward posted:

I clicked the latter link expecting to find audiophile woo, but it is not. The author identified a real, non-woo, and significant jitter problem in the I2S signals generated by a RPi.

Whether or not it matters depends on the equipment connected downstream. It's possible to design an I2S receiver with integrated reclocking to recover a much cleaner clock from that signal. It's also possible to design one which just accepts it as-is and propagates all the jitter to the DAC.

The USB bus is shared with other stuff like the ethernet, and the whole thing is electrically noisy from what I understand. The SPDIF hat seems to have its own 27MHz clock but I have no idea if that would fix the issue, if there's even going to be a noticeable difference in the first place. I guess I'll wait for it to come in and judge for myself, it can't be any worse than how it sounds now. I hear people alternating between being dismissive of digital jitter and it being a real problem so I honestly don't know what to think, but that's probably something more suited to the home audio questions thread.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Due to a death in the family, I’m now in possession of a Rega Brio 3 amplifier and two Klipsch Synergy F-1 floor standing loundspeakers. I estimate they’re at least 10 years old, but appear in great condition.

I don’t know much about this stuff, but I do know those are supposed to be good brands/models. I want to sell them, since they’re way overkill for my needs. But I have no idea how to price them.

Thoughts? Eastern Canada, if it matters.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
What kind of cables did it come with?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

taqueso posted:

What kind of cable risers did it come with?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Fruit stripe gum wrappers woven into a rope

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Unfurled coat hangers

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the like 22-gauge cables that connect to the little IR sensors that come with modern garage door openers (no joking, I literally used a spool of this stuff as speaker wire when I was a kid/teen)

Edit: apparently it’s called “2 conductor bell wire”, because it has two wires, natch, and it’s predominantly sold for wiring up doorbells

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love linking people to this 1997-rear end website that is 100% true and unarguable.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Due to a death in the family, I’m now in possession of a Rega Brio 3 amplifier and two Klipsch Synergy F-1 floor standing loundspeakers. I estimate they’re at least 10 years old, but appear in great condition.

I don’t know much about this stuff, but I do know those are supposed to be good brands/models. I want to sell them, since they’re way overkill for my needs. But I have no idea how to price them.

Thoughts? Eastern Canada, if it matters.

Here are the cables. I'm sorry I don't know what they are.

https://imgur.com/a/qrBjlHI

Thanks y'all!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The grey one is an RCA cable. The coppery frizzy stuff is speaker wire. Sorry for your loss.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Wrong thread buddy

sorry for your loss

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

I fear your jokes are going straight over my head. I know jackshit about this stuff. But I guess the equipment is not worth much and I should let it go for cheap?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

They are literally showing sympathy for your death in the family, not joking lol.

But this thread is where we like to make fun of the anti vaxxers of the audio world. You want the 2 channel vintage stereo thread.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I suppose the tendency for threads to get renamed all jokey like can sometimes cause confusion, but yeah, this is the place to post crazy bullshit

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I fear your jokes are going straight over my head. I know jackshit about this stuff. But I guess the equipment is not worth much and I should let it go for cheap?

This thread is for making fun of the silly things that audiophile snake oil dudes do. If you would like honest and good-faith advice then you will gladly receive it in the 2-channel/vintage thread or the audio questions thread.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Go to canuckaudiomart.com to sell them. Look them up on hifishark.com to get an idea what they’re worth.

The speakers won’t be worth much and probably would be easiest to sell locally. The Brio might be worth listing online and shipping t someone.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Ha, sorry and thanks goons :downs:, both for the advice and the condolences! I’ll post in the other thread, and look up what the TheMadMilkman mentioned.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Best of luck man, hope it all turns out well

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A friend posted up some photos of his beautiful game music vinyl purchases, the vinyl is that cool patterned type that just looks pretty on the platter of his cheap deck through his cheap speakers that he enjoys the experience of listening to.

His friend in the comments is yabbering about patterned vinyl and picture discs being worse than regular vinyl. I'm there like dude if you cared about audio quality first and foremost you wouldn't be listening to vinyl in the first place. Vinyl is about accepting worse quality for the experience of it being more interactive and involving and that's cool, you do you. Just dont try to argue it is the best medium for music.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
If you have an unused external power supply socket on the back of the very expensive music box, you can now spend £500 on a high-quality product to, uh, plug it up.

Something something noise floor high frequency something.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Now I may be just a simple country lawyer but if I paid 8 grand for a streamer I would expect it to have an inaudible noise floor out of the box.

e: The NDX doesn't even have a DAC, which is both insane for the price and also makes this plug cap even more useless.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hoo boy this company sells some poo poo, like £200+ contact cleaner anyone?

quote:

Four years in development (and 500 prototypes later!) Chord Company is proud to announce its long-awaited ChordOhmic Transmission Fluid, a highly advanced liquid polymer solution, specifically designed to maximise the surface area of a variety of plug connections, improving their performance.

Developed by an acclaimed industrial chemist and Andante Largo in Japan, the new ChordOhmic Transmission Fluid works by deploying polymers to fill pits and imperfections on the surfaces of connections, creating a greater contact area and, therefore, improving the performance of the connection: the lower the resistance, the higher the current (signal).
Surely increasing the surface area of a contact would result in cables not fitting well and getting worn down even faster leading to a need to buy more cables?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
For ultimate surface contact I just drop my gear in a bath tub filled with RO water. The reverse osmosis helps eliminate jitter. The tub is of course ceramic coated to block any electrical interference.

It's the only way to ensure maximum connection to all surface areas. Sure, the method may be considered wasteful, but the sound stage really opens up in that instant before the whole power grid goes down.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

njsykora posted:

Hoo boy this company sells some poo poo, like £200+ contact cleaner anyone?

Surely increasing the surface area of a contact would result in cables not fitting well and getting worn down even faster leading to a need to buy more cables?

Someone reviewed it.

quote:

“My system sounds noticeably clearer and the music a tad more real after treatment. The midband is slightly more forward and the top end crisper and more refined. Playing a CBS LP of Simon and Garfunkel’s The Boxer shows a far better control of sibilance with this bright recording, and the positioning of the vocals is better focussed within the soundstage. Only a small amount of fluid is required, so 10ml should last for many years.”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the fact that Chord Company remains profitable while countless people who actually work in the applied sciences fail to make ends meet is proof that God exists, and that God enjoys laughing at audiophiles more than we do

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I tried a Mojo and frankly hated it. It had a LOT of bass and very dry/uninvolving mids. It didn't sound like other normal headphone amps.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

redeyes posted:

I tried a Mojo and frankly hated it. It had a LOT of bass and very dry/uninvolving mids. It didn't sound like other normal headphone amps.

Different company. Weirdly, there are two audiophile companies called Chord and they both make overpriced nonsense for idiots!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jeherrin posted:

Different company. Weirdly, there are two audiophile companies called Chord and they both make overpriced nonsense for idiots!

Oh! LOL. Okay, carry on with the hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
involving