Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well so it was cursed since back when Voldemort applied for the job which was well before Harry was even born so had to be the 70s or earlier, so presumably it took them several years to even make the connection. Also from the sample size we've seen only 1 of 7 died in the role, and that was forced suicide by Voldemort, so it could very well be that the actual deaths were pretty rare

(also like I mentioned earlier I gotta imagine Dumbledore started stepping it up a bit when Harry was getting to a more formidable age and Lupin and Mad Eye probably took the job understanding that it was dangerous but as OotP that they would want Harry and his peers to be well taught)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I forgot Umbridge was DatDA, whoops. She lives, afaik. Also Lupin dies. It's been a while since I read Deathly Hallows, about twelve years in fact.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

It's been a while since I read Deathly Hallows, about twelve years in fact.

I’d keep it that way if I were you. It is not a good book

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Wizards are so rare because they're all armed with automatic rifles and they don't get a proper education and when they do they get taught at a prison camp where half of them are accidentally killed every year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I looked up if Rowling ever said what happened to Umbridge and apparently she got sent to Azkaban, lol. I keep having to remind myself that nothing about the status quo changes after the books wrap up, and Harry goes on to be cop who throws people into a remote island jail guarded by soul sucking creatures of dark magic.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
How many of his former classmates do you think harry personally executed for not fighting during the childrens massacre of 1998?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wasn't Quirrell a DADA teacher before book 1 returning for Harry's first year? Or was it, like, non-consecutive terms like the Grover Cleveland of curses?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

I looked up if Rowling ever said what happened to Umbridge and apparently she got sent to Azkaban, lol. I keep having to remind myself that nothing about the status quo changes after the books wrap up, and Harry goes on to be cop who throws people into a remote island jail guarded by soul sucking creatures of dark magic.

Assuming The Cursed Child is canon Lucius Malfoy gets pardoned a third (?) time and uses his vast wealth to create a device that nearly revives Voldemort again, it's absolutely mind boggling.

Asterite34 posted:

Wasn't Quirrell a DADA teacher before book 1 returning for Harry's first year? Or was it, like, non-consecutive terms like the Grover Cleveland of curses?

No Quirrell for sure is new and it's kind of a missed opportunity that we don't hear about the previous teachers, not even from like Fred and George

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

according to the crappy mobile game he was the muggle studies professor

lupin was also a hobo in the forbidden forest stealing potions to prevent himself from turning into a werewolf

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rowling really does somehow finds the dumbest possible explanation for everything.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One of the cleverest things she did was to resist the urge for the hero and lead girl to fall in love, so of course she has repeatedly said she hosed up and should have just had Harry and Hermione end up together

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wait if he was just a bum in the Forbidden Forest until Dumbledore offered him the gig, then why was he on the Hogwarts Express with Harry? Shouldn't have already been at the castle to start with? Did he decide to pop out to London to get a new suit just before the year started?

Guy A. Person posted:

One of the cleverest things she did was to resist the urge for the hero and lead girl to fall in love, so of course she has repeatedly said she hosed up and should have just had Harry and Hermione end up together

I'm sure that went over well with the shippers.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sydin posted:

The soul sucking creatures all get fired at the end of the series. Except they’re creatures of pure evil and being prison guards was the only remotely useful they could do, so now they’re just freely flying around the world loving people up?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ror posted:

The soul sucking creatures all get fired at the end of the series. Except they’re creatures of pure evil and being prison guards was the only remotely useful they could do, so now they’re just freely flying around the world loving people up?

:iiam: Expecto patronum just summons a patronus that'll shoo them away and keep them from attacking you, but it won't actually kill/destroy the drat things as far as I could tell from the descriptions of the spell at work in the books.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Ron and Hermione are definitely getting divorced

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zesty posted:

I thought the books made it quite clear that Lockheart got the job because he's literally the only person who wanted it that year.

josh04 posted:

Dumbledore was apparently also aware that teaching it was a 50% chance of a death sentence for the teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0N2DmoDXTQ

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

josh04 posted:

I forgot Umbridge was DatDA, whoops. She lives, afaik. Also Lupin dies. It's been a while since I read Deathly Hallows, about twelve years in fact.

Well, she lives, but she does implicitly get (sexually?) assaulted by a herd of centaurs soooooo...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cranappleberry posted:

Yeah, no fuckin way Ron's inferiority complex doesn't blow up his own marriage

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

In the movie Umbridge implicitly gets nommed by the dementors

Also, who taught dark arts in book 7 and what happened to them? Voidy is too petty to remove that curse even when his own goons are in that position

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 15, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Feldegast42 posted:

In the movie Umbridge implicitly gets nommed by the dementors

Also, who taught dark arts in book 7 and what happened to them? Voidy is too petty to remove that curse even when his own goons are in that position

I’m pretty sure it’s one of the evil twins who work as Snape’s enforcers

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s one of the evil twins who work as Snape’s enforcers

Yeah, I vaguely remember a line about them turning the defense against the dark arts class into the dark arts class.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah the Carrows siblings ((although I didn't remember if they were twins)

One teaches Dark Arts, the other teaches a twisted form of Muggle Studies where they learn that muggles are filthy animals etc. Presumably neither lasts to the next year, although I don't think either of them are mentioned to be killed

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

One more for the defense of the dark arts curse -- Voldemort himself, since he possessed quirrell that first year lol

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I get the need to have a new teacher for each book's gimmick for 1-3, but it is absolutely ridiculous that this poo poo went on for 30 years

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Wait, where does it actually say that the curse is "real"? I always considered that more of a bullshit tongue-in-cheek explanation instead of something actually supernatural.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In book 6/7, where everything suddenly becomes extremely literal and you really can't say Voldemort's name without him knowing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Dumbledore mentioned that after Voldemort got rejected after applying as the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher, that was when the position got cursed.

Though since the curse was on the school subject itself, I think Dumbledore could have rules-lawyered his way out of it by removing it from the curriculum and just making a new subject called General Defense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

In book 6/7, where everything suddenly becomes extremely literal and you really can't say Voldemort's name without him knowing.

That bit seemed more like Voldemort or more likely one of his minions actually being smart; since Harry and his friends have gotten notorious at this point for saying Voldemort's name out loud, tracking anyone who says it becomes a good way to find them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cranappleberry posted:

now I want to see a cgi divorce spell. all their quidditch World Cup commemorative plates flying into two separate piles while the house splits in half

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Please change the thread title to "Ron and Hermione are definitely getting divorced," I laugh every single time I read it. Truth in Comedy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hermione should hit up Krum again. Sexy, self-made quidditch prodigy who spent his time at Durmstrang beating the poo poo out of the edgelord kids who drew wizarding swastikas. Dude was a catch.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

now I want to see a cgi divorce spell. all their quidditch World Cup commemorative plates flying into two separate piles while the house splits in half

Hermione would totally get everything, she is way smarter than Ron and would defo trick him into an iron-clad prenup probably with Timer Turner magic (don't @ me with this crap about time turners being gone, they will just bring them back whenever)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Time turners are already back, they're a critical plot point in the sequel play where we explore the adventures of Voldemort's lovechild and Albus Severus James Luna Bellatrix Arthur Kingsley Tonks Draco Dudley Dobby Potter

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

amigolupus posted:

Dumbledore mentioned that after Voldemort got rejected after applying as the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher, that was when the position got cursed.

Though since the curse was on the school subject itself, I think Dumbledore could have rules-lawyered his way out of it by removing it from the curriculum and just making a new subject called General Defense.

I really have to re-read that passage, that was exactly what I filed away under "dumb superstition". After all that is kind of the only time we know of of a curse working in such a way, isn't it?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hermione should hit up Krum again. Sexy, self-made quidditch prodigy who spent his time at Durmstrang beating the poo poo out of the edgelord kids who drew wizarding swastikas. Dude was a catch.

Yeah but those duck feet.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Krum is about how racist Britons will happily gently caress eastern Europeans but settle for garbage neighbors just as racist as they are.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Time turners are already back, they're a critical plot point in the sequel play where we explore the adventures of Voldemort's lovechild and Albus Severus James Luna Bellatrix Arthur Kingsley Tonks Draco Dudley Dobby Potter

Also his best friend and only good Harry Potter character, Scorpius Malfoy

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Hermione already memory wiped her parents, so she's pretty comfortable crossing boundaries to win family disputes

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

You just know that after getting divorced, Ron's gonna get so depressed that he'll be a cop again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

https://clickhole.com/the-saga-cont...-have-sex-with/

rollick fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 16, 2020