Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

OH

MY

GOD

IT'S HAPPENINGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Kurosawa box when

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

and a new phase begins :blastu:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Edits aside, does this set meet expectations?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Edits aside, does this set meet expectations?

Doesn't have an unedited version of The Grandmaster, so no :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

It's Criterion so probably Region A.

Bergman and Agnes sets were region free so I am keeping my fingers crossed for now!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

Any of you folk ever send Criterion an email to suggest an addition to the Collection? I emailed once about Inland Empire and I'm sure they've never gotten that one before

If they ever put Little Odessa in the collection I am going to take the credit for suggesting it to them

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

The specs on this set are terrible, and the revisionism it’s pushing is actively pissing me off, as it should anyone who cares about film preservation and access.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Genuine question: how do we know the digital encoding of the DVDs and older Blu-Rays are truer to the original films than these new ones?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

already cleared space on my shelf for it

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

pospysyl posted:

Genuine question: how do we know the digital encoding of the DVDs and older Blu-Rays are truer to the original films than these new ones?

Well, the changes people are talking about aren't things that can be accomplished with adjustments to the pictures.

Notice how hardly anyone is talking about changing the aspect ratio to 1.66:1 for two of the films? That's because that kind of change is quite normal.

But the other changes are things that needed to be done after the fact, like coloring specific items in a black and white shot.

As for what is truer to the director's intention - that's impossible to say. Directors can be fickle. Look at Apocalypse Now. We had redux, but now we have the final cut. Lucas kept making changes to the original Star Wars trilogy.

At some point, intention becomes hard to know. The question is are people who only see these versions getting something that holds up on its own? That I can't say.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Some CC picks to check out before they leave Dec 31:

The Elephant Man
The Haunting
The Awful Truth
Bad Day at Black Rock
Trouble in Paradise
Videodrome
Cache
The Illusionist
Mother
Theater of Blood

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

pospysyl posted:

You can compare it to theatrical prints.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

Notice how hardly anyone is talking about changing the aspect ratio to 1.66:1 for two of the films? That's because that kind of change is quite normal.

I could dedicate my life to OAR zealotry but I don't want to be that kind of pedant.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Zogo posted:

I could dedicate my life to OAR zealotry but I don't want to be that kind of pedant.

From 2000 to about 2004, I was that kind of pedant. I worked as a cashier at Walmart for a brief stint and recall convincing a random person to go back and get the widescreen version of the A Beautiful Mind DVD instead of the fullscreen version.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
OAR or bust.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Zogo posted:

But is this not keeping with the OAR spirit? If they shot for 1.66:1, but had to display it in 1.85:1, then isn't 1.66:1 the OAR?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've always believed the OAR spirit is actually the correct aspect ratio, not just whichever came first. In other words, what the director intended. So a director changing the AR of his movies doesn't bug me too much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hooray!!!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've always believed the OAR spirit is actually the correct aspect ratio, not just whichever came first. In other words, what the director intended. So a director changing the AR of his movies doesn't bug me too much.

Giving free license to artists in the present can be a problem, though, because over time their ideas and preferences change, and not always for the good. When given the chance, Vittorio Storaro changed the AR of all of his films on home video to 2:1 because it's the same AR as Da Vinci's painting The Last Supper, even if it fucks up the original composition. Ridiculous poo poo like that.

Original intent can be a problem too, like with Friedkin desaturating The French Connection and giving it a pale blue tint because he "always wanted it to look that way". It's a case by case basis thing and taste is always tricky, of course, but sometimes films should just be left alone to stand as a testament of what was achieved, and not what could have been achieved if only they had more money/time/technology/control.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

But is this not keeping with the OAR spirit? If they shot for 1.66:1, but had to display it in 1.85:1, then isn't 1.66:1 the OAR?

With Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love I'd say definitely yes.

The Fallen Angels situation is open for debate as it has become evident that there is more than one "OAR spirit" in the sphere of cinema. It intersects with the ship of Theseus issue somewhat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Anyway, in my earlier post I was just making a general statement. I could make a post everyday ITT and other threads about about some bad aspect ratio issue. The amount of 2.35:1 films changed to 1.77:1 and 2.35:1/1.85:1 films changed to 1.33:1 is insane. It's the worst part of the streaming experience on Tubi, Netflix, Prime et al. So many films aren't right. I'll begrudgingly live with 1.85:1 down to 1.77:1 but it isn't right.

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Any word yet on the region?

In the Blu ray com forums they said that the March release will be region A locked but in April they will release a region B box set. So it seems like there are some shenanigans in terms of licensing. Otherwise they could have done it in one sweep.

EDIT: beaten to the punch. :-(

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1338905999873355777?s=19

March has an absolutely dynamite lineup

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
My wife was just saying how much she loves Secrets and Lies and didn't realize it was a Mike Leigh joint! This is great!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Secrets and Lies is (like almost every other Leigh) an absolute masterpiece, though it's a shame this release is so bare-bones.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That's good. I've been looking for Celine and Julie Go Boating for years.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is Celine and Julie Go Boating less insufferable than Out 1?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I haven't seen it but almost everyone I know who has seen it has, unlike Out 1, actually enjoyed it, so I assume yes.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

My wife and I watched Hopscotch on the C channel the other night and it was hilarious.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I’m a Rivette lover, so take this for what it’s worth: Céline and Julie is one of his most accessible films, as well as one of his best. It’s probably the one I’d give newcomers.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/05XfGmH2zG4

Royal Ocean Film Society posted this. I think the video may share the thoughts and feelings of many of those in here.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

oneforthevine posted:

I’m a Rivette lover, so take this for what it’s worth: Céline and Julie is one of his most accessible films, as well as one of his best. It’s probably the one I’d give newcomers.

What's your opinion of Out 1?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I finished twin peaks a few weeks ago and have been going through other Lynch works. I finally watched Mullholland Drive and few thoughts:

1.) I wish the blue ray had the timeline feature like many other films had now. I had to split up watching the movie, so it would have be nice to quickly get back to where i left off instead of fast forwarding. But not a major issue.

2.) David Lynch really likes red curtains.

3.) This movie felt like it has a lot in common with Persona, and is almost an American version of it. I am still digesting the movie and have read a few interpretations, but the similarity in plots pieces (young blond taking care of a famous actress, then growing to hate/merge with her) and the themes of duality just reminded me a lot of Persona.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

I finished twin peaks a few weeks ago and have been going through other Lynch works. I finally watched Mullholland Drive and few thoughts:

1.) I wish the blue ray had the timeline feature like many other films had now. I had to split up watching the movie, so it would have be nice to quickly get back to where i left off instead of fast forwarding. But not a major issue.

David Lynch is specifically against this. If it's got his seal of approval, it will probably not have chapters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Any whispers on whether Wild at Heart and Lost Highway might get releases? I know shoutfactory had a Wild At Heart blu a while back but yeah I get the impression that Lynch has grown attached to the criterion treatment because they do whatever he wants.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Spatulater bro! posted:

What's your opinion of Out 1?

I like Out 1, but it’s nowhere near his finest work (I have it at 11th of the 21 I’ve seen). Those theater exercises are tough going, and if you’re not invested in how Rivette shapes the narrative almost piecemeal around what could otherwise be a documentary, you probably won’t enjoy the payoffs as much. (And I totally get that being the case.)

Celine and Julie really isn’t anything like that, though. It’s meandering, and it’s long, but they operate in two very different tonal registers. I actually don’t think Out 1 is all that representative of Rivette’s work as a whole, style-wise. (My two favorites of his are a musical and a love story.)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Franchescanado posted:

David Lynch is specifically against this. If it's got his seal of approval, it will probably not have chapters.

What is his reason for this? He wants people to watch in one sitting, or doesnt like chapter titles?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The former. And you should watch movies in one sitting!

You’re spot-on with the Persona comparison

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Any whispers on whether Wild at Heart and Lost Highway might get releases? I know shoutfactory had a Wild At Heart blu a while back but yeah I get the impression that Lynch has grown attached to the criterion treatment because they do whatever he wants.

Kino has Lost Highway but Lynch had some consternation about the release https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/kino-lorber-david-lynch-lost-highway-blu-ray-1202152631

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lynch eschewing chapter stops goes back to some of the earliest DVD releases of his films with approved transfers - The Straight Story (2000 - Disney), The Elephant Man (2001 - Paramount), Mulholland Dr. (2002 - Universal). While MGM let Lynch supervise remasters of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart, they still had chapter menus and stops.

What's funny about Lynch is that while he is particular about his films, he's absolutely anti-revisionist to the point where color grading is barely different across releases that he supervised.