Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh I definitely prefer to watch movies in one setting. It can be hard to fall back into the mood the movie was setting when resuming. Unfortunately, sometimes life just interrupts our best attempts.

Yeah I was watching some of the extras from elephant man and was interesting how much Lynch talked about loving producing tv/movies in digital recently. Says he respects film, but never wants to work in it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

What's funny about Lynch is that while he is particular about his films, he's absolutely anti-revisionist to the point where color grading is barely different across releases that he supervised.

Which is strange considering he did the crotch blurring thing with Mulholland Dr.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And then removed it later lol.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Chris Knight posted:

And then removed it later lol.

Did he? On which release?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Criterion is blur free. Not that I've looked, you see.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thanks, I was looking for a good excuse to buy that Criterion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Which is strange considering he did the crotch blurring thing with Mulholland Dr.

In that case, it's because it wasn't supposed to be that visible.

Kind of reminds me how on the DVD remaster of Citizen Kane, the brightness is set so high you can tell that Joseph Cotten is in the projection room and see the garbage matte around Kane's corpse at the beginning. On the Blu-ray, it's dark enough you can't really make out Cotten's face and the matte is the same level as the shadows.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If David Lynch really wanted to put his money where his mouth is you would only be able to watch Twin Peaks Season 3 in one eighteen hour block

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If David Lynch really wanted to put his money where his mouth is you would only be able to watch Twin Peaks Season 3 in one eighteen hour block

Yeah but I enjoy those musical acts with the credits. I would miss most of those songs.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

checkplease posted:

Yeah but I enjoy those musical acts with the credits. I would miss most of those songs.

End Of Eva has a credit break midway through, The Return can keep its credits

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My favorite use for Amazon gift cards are their $19.99 Criterion Blu-rays. So far I've picked up The Irishman, The Cremator, The Cameraman, Night of the Living Dead and The Age of Innocence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My copy of Short Cuts showed up in the mail today. This is a movie I probably wouldn't have bought if I hadn't been completely won over by Nashville, another movie that I really had no interest in but fell in love with almost immediately.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love Short Cuts so much, and might even like it more than Nashville.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nashville was when I decided to just trust Altman from here on out because a musical about country musicians is like the last thing I'd ever expect to end up as one of my favorite movies. At this point I'm just excited to see whatever new Altman I can get my hands on.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

When's The Long Goodbye gonna get a Criterion release :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

When's The Long Goodbye Popeye gonna get a Criterion release :(

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Cacator posted:

When's California Split gonna get a Criterion release :(

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cacator posted:

When's Quintet gonna get a Criterion release :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen any of these movies so 2021 is definitely gonna be the Year of Altman for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cacator posted:

When's any goddamn Béla Tarr or Peter Greenaway gonna get a Criterion release :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'd take The Cook, The Thief...

....but only after Ken Russell gets more love.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A Criterion release of The Devils would be awesome. Come to think of it, ANY Blu-ray release of The Devils would be awesome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

A Criterion release of The Devils would be awesome. Come to think of it, ANY Blu-ray release of The Devils would be awesome.

Yeah, The Devils is first on my list. I'd love to see Mahler and The Music Lovers picked up as well. The Boy Friend already has a nice blu ray at least.

edit; Apparently Mahler has a blu but only in Japan?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched CC in a few weeks. What're some capital-G Great films right now? Malick's already on my radar.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't watched CC in a few weeks. What're some capital-G Great films right now? Malick's already on my radar.

hmmm, I'll just shoot in every direction, make of it as you will.

Days of Heaven, Andrei Rublev, Apu Trilogy, L’Atalante, The Mirror, Loves of a Blonde, Bad Timing, Naked, Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me, Solaris, Tampopo, Faces, Revanche, Persona, Picnic At Hanging Rock, Mishima, Mahler, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Exotica, The Double Life of Véronique

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Watch Irma Vep. Or The Human Condition, that one is good too

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Franchescanado posted:

Some random capital-Gs: Paris Is Burning, The Double Life of Veronique, The Piano Teacher, Grey Gardens, Yi Yi

If you want to mix some shorts in, I've had good luck with Tell Me: Women Filmmakers, Women's Stories, as well as pretty much anything by Les Blanc.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

Of what I've seen on there recently that's maybe (?) not as obvious choices:

Housekeeping
Supermarket Woman
The American Friend
Personal Problems
My Brother's Wedding
Zazie dans le Métro

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 15, 2021

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I still need to finish out this list:

Vulture 50 Essential Movies on Criterion Channel

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I watched brighter summer day on a lark a couple weeks ago and that tiny child singing Elvis brings a tear to my eye. He haunts me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mahasamatman posted:

I watched brighter summer day on a lark a couple weeks ago and that tiny child singing Elvis brings a tear to my eye. He haunts me.

By far my favorite character in the movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ABSD is the longest movie I've watched and then immediately watched again the next day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the rec's friends!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

April releases:

Memories of Murder
Irma Vep
History is Made at Night (1937, Frank Borzage)
The Furies (Blu-ray)
Masculin Feminin (Blu-ray)

Memories and Irma are 2-disc editions.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

put out more post-‘68 godard you cowards

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Brexit the Frog posted:

put out more post-‘68 godard you cowards
A lot of the post-68 stuff already has good releases from other people.

Like you can already buy a boxset of most of those Gorin collabs on pristine blu-ray already if you really wanted to, for some strange reason.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

April releases:

Memories of Murder

nice

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yeah The Furies on Blu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just watched All These Women from the Bergman set. I didn't know he ever made a bad movie - let alone an atrocious one - but here we are.