Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I never thought about it when I first read the comic way back when, but the whole thing with Dominic's father having the chest tattoo doesn't really make sense. Specifically, it immediately gets established that the marking is a rare and special honour given only for great deeds. Presumably it would follow that those with the mark would essentially be folk heroes to some degree. At the very least it would seem probable that those with the mark would know of each other. So why the hell don't any of the orcs know who Donovan is or what he did? Surely a human earning the mark would be something that every living orc would have heard at least a rumour of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

stonewater has sideburn ponytails
it's specifically disconnected from his rest of his head hair
it's sideburn ponytails

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
If you can punch the air to hit the cymbals, you can also just move them closer to you and hit them directly.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Szark has always had an eye for jewelry :rolleyes:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Psh, having a plot is boring, Mookie has learned what people REALLY want out of webcomics now!

The lamest possible versions of landscapes and creatures he saw in No Man's Sky!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What an imaginative creature never before dreamed up by a major fantasy film franchise.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So if you see a hunchback
Why don't you take him out to lunch, Jack
To say hey thanks a bunch, mack
Thank you for being a hunch

If it wasn't for the one in the middle showing us that they're hunchbacks I would've just assumed the one on the left had boobs.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I vaguely recall a rock guy building a house for Dominic and then giving him the finger.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The Little Death posted:

This is not the point where what happened is revealed, so people forget that this panel is the first time we see young Melna and Stonewater together. So yeah, there it is.

This is here too, but this is not jazz hands. I feel like this went by without people commenting on it at the time, but I could be wrong. I don't remember enough of how this played, mainly because I don't think all the implications were clear to Mookie's very young reader base at the time.

Ignoring literally everything else (:stonk: expanding into infinite), why does he rip her clothes when she's already restrained? What's the justification, for both Stonewater and Mookie, for making that decision?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

Ignoring literally everything else (:stonk: expanding into infinite), why does he rip her clothes when she's already restrained? What's the justification, for both Stonewater and Mookie, for making that decision?

For Mookie it's because he can't just admit he has hosed-up kinks, he needs to make scenarios where they are morally right and forgivable. Remember Bumper? Imagine that scenario going the whole way, then weeks of the entire cast forgiving him and telling him he's a good person, especially Luna.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 16, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
There's something loving vile about Mookie doing the same bit where his male proxy sulks about the terrible poo poo he's done and a woman swoops in to comfort him with Stonewater and Melna. It's dizzying to think about what kind of mindset you have to be in to do this.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
So we're just walking right past the rock biters, huh? Not gonna stop and talk to them, or tell us about what their deal is, or talk about what they're building? Comic's right on track, then.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, are they walking and building? Or are they themselves statues of builders, left behind by a hunchback race that has long since disappeared, but their monuments remain? If we discussed who they were and what had happened, it would certainly add to the overall sense of the world as a real place inhabited by real beings and okay we're just moving on, right

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, are they walking and building? Or are they themselves statues of builders, left behind by a hunchback race that has long since disappeared, but their monuments remain? If we discussed who they were and what had happened, it would certainly add to the overall sense of the world as a real place inhabited by real beings and okay we're just moving on, right

I mean left rock biter looks like they're carrying a big boulder and middle rock biter looks like they're walking to gather more rocks while right rock biter is taking a break or perhaps making GBS threads behind those mountains.

Perhaps the trio of rock biters is building more progeny. Note the rock balanced atop the other rock behind middle rock biter's right heel, reminiscent of the human art of rock balancing or stacking (GIS for some Cool Rocks) without the use of glue, supports, or similar.

Since they appear to be made of many separate rocks versus hewn from a solid piece, I assume they are creatures made of rocks like Gorignak from "Galaxy Quest," since the rocks making up the wrist and hand could not hold themselves there on their own without glue or something.

But I'm putting more thought into it than Mookie has ever put into anything in his entire life.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Lemony posted:

I never thought about it when I first read the comic way back when, but the whole thing with Dominic's father having the chest tattoo doesn't really make sense. Specifically, it immediately gets established that the marking is a rare and special honour given only for great deeds. Presumably it would follow that those with the mark would essentially be folk heroes to some degree. At the very least it would seem probable that those with the mark would know of each other. So why the hell don't any of the orcs know who Donovan is or what he did? Surely a human earning the mark would be something that every living orc would have heard at least a rumour of.

Come to think of it, he's not just some random human either, he's a human from the country that allied with Hell to genocide them within living memory. You'd think it'd be a huge loving deal.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

As I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned, that whole allied with hell invasion thing sounds like it would be a way more interesting story. Classis Deegan.

If these comics were just straight trash I don't think analysing them would be nearly as interesting. It's that there's something about them that always seems so close to being engaging. Then that stuff gets ignored, swept passed or immediately resolved so that you can see what Mookie thinks you are here for: dead women with giant tits.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Ague Proof posted:

Szark has always had an eye for jewelry :rolleyes:

This is good.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Poking my head back into this thread. Two things:

1. gently caress you Mookie, no one cares that you can draw/trace backgrounds now. Get to the loving point.

2. Oh god, Dominic Deegan is worse than I remember.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

rudecyrus posted:

2. Oh god, Dominic Deegan is worse than I remember.

There's a reason I said Storm of Souls was the high point of the comic. It's going to keep getting dumber until the end.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

But I'm putting more thought into it than Mookie has ever put into anything in his entire life.

He drew some rock guys because they are blobby and ill-defined and don't require any sort of attempt at anatomy at all. He probably knocked out this whole page in less than an hour

Edit: for all those time travelling, try entering the dates for Monday and Tuesday of next week. He buffered 2 weeks of pages all at once, minus Christmas. He's already on his holiday break...!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 17, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

1. gently caress you Mookie, no one cares that you can draw/trace backgrounds now. Get to the loving point.

I'm sorry I think you'll find he once read a book by some guy who said that multiple pages of nothing happening is extremely good and makes a story good,* so sit back and enjoy these dull backgrounds.

* The book did not say this but that's how Mookie interpreted it so that he had an excuse to be as lazy as possible.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
In theory, walking panels could be useful to give the reader a sense of time passing (we already know no time passes) and the distance traveled (see time). They could give some background information about the world that doesn't fit in the story proper. In a good comic, they would be a visually interesting, high effort replacement for the fast and easy "Two weeks of walking later" textbox.

This would of course require things to happen between all the walking, or the walking panels having any kind of connection other than "Okay, Google, show me backgrounds that are easy to trace".

My prediction for how the comic will end: A six months long travel montage of every single walking panel backwards as Snout and his beloved wife whose name we still don't know travel back to his home. They arrive at the house, but Snout makes a shocked face because he forgot about it getting blown up. Then they live happily ever after in his cave.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Looking back my mind had mixed up two separate posts. Him talking about how important it was for "nothing" to happen was about showing the characters resting and relaxing. The pages of nothing but travel montages was a separate one where he says he found out it was relaxing to draw landscapes and that he was inspired by The World of Edena by Mœbius (and by "inspired by" he means "copied").

Though now that we're getting these travel montages every other week this sentence is pretty funny:

quote:

It was one of the most peaceful stretches of making comics I’d done in years, so I decided to dedicate an entire week to it… which is only three comics, so in the grand scope of the comic it will go by pretty quickly.

I think what happened is he realized that copying/tracing backgrounds is pretty low effort and allows him to churn out a bunch of comics much faster than if he has to actually advance the plot (especially with the holiday season going on), so quick to do plus not having to plan things means he started relying on them heavily.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A comic that's primarily about a relationship as two characters wander through weird landscapes can in fact be very good, as well, even if it's mostly that rather than a montage to say 'ok, they're far away now.'

Some crucial elements include 'making the weird landscape actually look good' and 'making the journey feel like a difficult or at least complicated one.' Talk about the things they're passing, give us a little context for the wonders, have them need to forage for food or even hunt. You could get a solid few weeks out of learning to hunt and gather for food in a strange new place, and the emotions and hazards involved. Give us a sense of what landscapes the protagonists need to pass, and have them actively navigating and orienting themselves, possibly running into unexpected aid and/or danger often. Travel stories in fantasy worlds can be really fun!

But you'd need to commit to it, and the world would need literally any weight to it at all. You'd need lush art that genuinely makes each new strange landscape interesting, and you'd need to stick with a given landscape and weirdness long enough to communicate it. If this were well done he would be burning content much slower and more thoroughly, and each new landscape would be something to genuinely look forward to.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Twelve by Pies posted:

So if you see a hunchback
Why don't you take him out to lunch, Jack
To say hey thanks a bunch, mack
Thank you for being a hunch

If it wasn't for the one in the middle showing us that they're hunchbacks I would've just assumed the one on the left had boobs.

Bless you. Bless you for making a The Critic reference in The Year Of Our Lord 2020. And this reference specifically

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Normally I'm cool with fantasy and sci-fi things having cool weird poo poo in the background that isn't explained and it gives the impression of a larger world where strange things are happening all the time, but when your main plot is this boring, you really shouldn't tease us with cooler poo poo we could be reading about.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
the manga blame! is basically nothing but walking through weird environments that goes unexplained, and it's everything mookie wishes he was doing right now.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Invisible Clergy posted:

I mean left rock biter looks like they're carrying a big boulder and middle rock biter looks like they're walking to gather more rocks while right rock biter is taking a break or perhaps making GBS threads behind those mountains.

Perhaps the trio of rock biters is building more progeny. Note the rock balanced atop the other rock behind middle rock biter's right heel, reminiscent of the human art of rock balancing or stacking (GIS for some Cool Rocks) without the use of glue, supports, or similar.

Since they appear to be made of many separate rocks versus hewn from a solid piece, I assume they are creatures made of rocks like Gorignak from "Galaxy Quest," since the rocks making up the wrist and hand could not hold themselves there on their own without glue or something.

The rock biters have nothing to do with Dominic Deegan or the legacy of Dominic Deegan or the story of Dominic Deegan or the Dominic Deegan of Dominic Deegan, so wasting any more time on them would be unnecessary.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Howard Beale posted:

The rock biters have nothing to do with Dominic Deegan or the legacy of Dominic Deegan or the story of Dominic Deegan or the Dominic Deegan of Dominic Deegan, so wasting any more time on them would be unnecessary.

I mean, they have as much to do with it as anything else that’s appeared so far.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Marin Karin posted:

the manga blame! is basically nothing but walking through weird environments that goes unexplained, and it's everything mookie wishes he was doing right now.

For the first few books, sure, but it does eventually get explained. That said, even before then, the world has a logic and consistency that makes sense. It also does the "no dialogue" thing for long stretches much better than Mookie ever could.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

For the first few books, sure, but it does eventually get explained. That said, even before then, the world has a logic and consistency that makes sense. It also does the "no dialogue" thing for long stretches much better than Mookie ever could.
Of course, it doesn't do it because Killy is deaf-mute, it does it because there's just nobody there to talk to.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

It also annoys me that none of these landscapes are connected to one another in any way. Given how close we know they must be, since only a few days have passed in the comic's timeline, you'd think that there would be some connections. I know it's supposed to be the "wild edge", or whatever dumb cop out he uses to justify it, but how the hell do any of these ecosystems work?

Of course, I know that the answer is that they don't, that Mookie has literally never put any thought into a single actual background detail or world building. I know that every single lifeform shown in these travel shots are the only ones to ever exist, living a lovely solitary existence inside a white void, never to know warmth, love or companionship. Theirs must truly be a life of anger and pain, rage at their uncaring creator, a burning desire to destroy the protagonist and end their infinite mockery of life. Sadly, they are powerless against the idle whims of their god. Instead of sweet oblivion they instead must contend with an endless parade of flaccid satyrs dancing mockingly across the blank horizon. Sorrow. Sorrow. Sorrow.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
There's so much tracing in the time-traveled pages. Mookie. Mookie, you can't go "I drew them, I'll re-use them!" in sequential pages. If you're reusing art this often, then your storyboarding is wrong. Then you're using pacing and your panels poorly. God, we are SO loving CLOSE to him just doing this entire thing as cut-outs on traced backgrounds with text underneath. He wants to Homestuck it but with less effort.

I love that it's like two solid weeks of wandering to NO CONSEQUENCE OR MEANING OR CONTEXT WHATSOEVER and then he LITERALLY TRIPS OVER THE GATE WITHOUT EARNING ANYTHING. The urge to touch the poop and give him a solid actual criticism is so burning I need to take a break from this.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I’ll be surprised if The Legacy comes back in 2021. Mookie’s slowly been putting in less and less effort into it and it clearly isn’t drawing an audience so what’s the point? Nobody wants this.

Also here’s Friday.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Take a shot every time a panel has a sparse landscape with a single species of large animal

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

ahh, the magnificent penis beasts

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TheHan posted:

it clearly isn’t drawing an audience

Nonsense. The only audience Mookie has ever or will ever care about is the only audience he has ever or will ever write for: himself. I know I said it in one of the old DD threads, and I think it's been said in this one too by others, but what Mookie does is 'artistic' masturbation. He's an 'artistic' solipsist.
Remember that originally this whole abortion of a comic was supposed to be a stretch reward for some Kickstarter or Patreon goal that never got met, but Mookie did it anyway because he only ever wanted an excuse because, again, the audience he is writing for is himself, not his patrons.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This poo poo sucks.

Mookie is phoning this in so he can draw limp dicked satyrs for $15 a month on patreon.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The War In Hell Part 1

Here it is folks.

We start off immediatly after Greg's night with Pam, and Mookie is again gross and weird about sex, with Greg literally glowing after losing his virginity. The action starts immediatly, with the return of Karnak

So we get a bit of expo to tease what's happening.Get used to a lot of pointless gore with Karnak eating people, Mookie loves that.

Here's where the confrontation and explanation/rationalization start. Melna challenges Stonewater on staying with a practioneer of magic used to genocide the orcs.

And the truth comes out. I just want to underline here that Melna does think of what happened as rape and defilement. Keep that in mind when you see how this all wraps up

Stonewater is immediately the calm rational one, only asking to explain himself to the over the top Grench. I actually really hate this, I hate that Mookie had her hit Dominic, because it's obviously an over the top reaction, and it undermines the legitimacy of her anger. It's basically a "this lady is so dumb and goddamn crazy"

Of course Dominic wants to hear Stonewater, and is also calm and rational about it. So we have the set up. Melna's father was a revolutionary thinker. How you might ask?

Well, he was a feminist who didn't want to treat women like chattel. This is why he is challenged and killed. The noble orcs even have a tradition worse than any prima nocta myth, where you can just claim someone's wife if you fight them to the death. Maybe the Callanians were right to try and wipe them out.

I'm being fascetious but I do think it's worth pointing out that the cultures that orcs are pastiched together from, while not always equal in gender relations, were much mroe varied and often much more egalitarian than this. It's again this civilization vs. backward savagery that you saw in Starpower. Very American, and very imperialist.

The Doma dude pulls a dirty trick, but...

Apparently no one sees a problem with that. Melna's mother kills the dude..

But is swiftly dispatched with an arrow between the boobs again. Always right in the sternum for ladies.

Oh, and here's the start of the contrivances to justify Stonewater's heinous act. First, orphaned girls have no status, so Melna could just be killed. So Stonewater has to step in.

Only Stoenwater could do this, because like Dominic his parents are important. So he claims Melna to keep he safe. But, turns out the Doma require immediate consumation and check the hymen I guess! And they kill girls who don't get their husbands to cum? I mean, reading this now, you think there'd be a way to fake it, but instead we get the next comic.

Here it is

Here is where things get even more heinous. Melna is traumatized and just saw he family murdered. That made her "hysterical" and unable to see that Stonewater needed to penetrate her for her own good. Stonewater is apparently able to go throug with it, even with presumably Melna struggling and crying. This is what Mookie wanted to depict, a women in a state of panic and distress, being raped for her own good. It's vile, and it makes any goodwill you might have to Mookie dry up (at least in my opinion.)

You can tell by how fast this story came out that he could not wait to get to it as part of the war in hell.

Just

Then it becomes about the horrible way Stonewater feels. The strip ends iwth a sort of joke that is especially tasteless

And Melna became an outcast after that apparently. This is a small quibble in the huge constellation of bad that this arc is, but again I find it funny that like Luna, Melna is immensely competent in magic without any clear way of having learned it beyond childhood.

So there you have it. The point at which Mookie revealed the true abyss in his brain to the world. I think, beyond the obvious awfulness of this story arc, the thing that stands out to me is Melna's father feminism. The crux of the conflict is fundemnetallya bout the equality of women, something that Stonewater believes in and something that he admired Korik for. So you have a character who has what is described as a "revolutionarry" ideology, in a direction obviously Mookie notionally agrees with, choosing to rape a women to save their lives. It's impossible not to read an intent into that. That this was literally a feminist rape.

It's really sickening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Im impressed at all the complex layers of bs mookie had to set up to remotely justify it. Like he obviously had to add 20 layers of poo poo to cover up all the plot holes of why it had to UNAVOIDABLY happen and also not be noble stonewater's fault.