Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/mlb_pr/status/1339239227805065219?s=21

Good, although the record keeping for some of those leagues is spotty I believe

That's the only bad thing. They should have been recognized from the beginning, but a lot of the stats will be approximations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol all the statkeeping before like 1940 is spotty and nobody cares. This is great. Really want to make it to the museum in KC someday

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah if we're going to count 36 Wins for Cy Young in 1892 I think we can count a few Josh Gibson homers from the 1930's

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm delighted at this news, it was long overdue. Because of the 70-game seasons, some single-season rate stats will now be led by Black players before integration instead of white guys from the Deadball Era. Josh Gibson's .441 average in 1943, and Satchel Paige's 0.72 ERA in 1944 are now records.

These will be the new leaderboards in OPS, and ERA-:

I look forward to seeing all these stats on Baseball Reference leaderboards. I wish Satchel Paige could have lived to see this.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
They're probably only going to count the OFFICIAL Negro league stats which are sadly not that crazy. Their official seasons were really short.

Basically, nobody has more than 4256 official hits, so I'm a little bummed. We still have true hit king Ichiro though.

Edit - Yeah, I hadn't thought of single season rate stat records. Rad.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Turkey Stearnes is such a phenomenal name I can hardly look straight at it, even squinting. Just a blistering baseball name.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Negro League news is great. If 2020 counts, there's no reason the shorter seasons for those guys shouldnt. Sucks for counting stats, but for rate stats and whatnot, awesome. It's about time.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That's the only bad thing. They should have been recognized from the beginning, but a lot of the stats will be approximations.

I’m torn because this is obviously the right move but some of the stats are going to be wonky. A lot of those guys counted barnstorming stats, winter league stats, and traveling team stats so who honestly knows what’s “official” and what’s not.

The sad thing was that by most estimates, 50-75% of the Negro League players would have absolutely been regulars in the other two major leagues in the 30s and 40s. How many destitute teams that couldn’t come close to competing would have turned baseball upside down by bringing them on? The Pirates, Phillies, and Browns famously turned down offers from Negro League owners to sell them their players that would have made them instant World Series contenders. The entire concept of baseball and the “New York dynasty” era would have been altered.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Who cares? Even official MLB stats from 120 years ago are counted and the game was vastly irregular and weird. Let them count.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm in the same "who cares" boat about the stats. Barry Bonds won't be in the Hall of Fame. Old Hoss Radbourn has the IP record with like 600 innings doesn't he? The game was so different before the 60's and especially the 40's.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Well, also it isn’t like they were just making their own league because they couldn’t hack it in the bigs. They were kept out by MLB and that’s the only reason we will never know how they stacked up directly. Small price to pay to give them the proper recognition since we can no longer fix that injustice.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is wonderful.

An unforeseen benefit to the game: large numbers of 80-tool name players now dominate the all time leaderboards

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Proper Negro League stats from later in the era are more or less the same quality as MLB stats from the same period (though admittedly earlier negro leagues stats are crappy to non-existent). The tricky thing is those teams played a LOT of barnstorming/exhibition games, sometimes against very lovely teams. I'm guessing the only stats that will (and should, imo) count are actual league games. The lovely thing about that is the proper league seasons were very short.

Also, in preparation for upcoming debates with Old Men about the righteousness of stats, remember that just about any year you choose the best team in the negro leagues was just as good if not better than the best MLB team.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GPTribefan posted:

I’m torn because this is obviously the right move but some of the stats are going to be wonky. A lot of those guys counted barnstorming stats, winter league stats, and traveling team stats so who honestly knows what’s “official” and what’s not.

The sad thing was that by most estimates, 50-75% of the Negro League players would have absolutely been regulars in the other two major leagues in the 30s and 40s. How many destitute teams that couldn’t come close to competing would have turned baseball upside down by bringing them on? The Pirates, Phillies, and Browns famously turned down offers from Negro League owners to sell them their players that would have made them instant World Series contenders. The entire concept of baseball and the “New York dynasty” era would have been altered.

Bill Veeck had a plan to fill his team with the best Negro League players he could find, but the league shut it down once word got out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yikes

https://twitter.com/jay_jaffe/status/1339216210949529600?s=21

I had always wondered why he was fired from that coaching job and never got another one

:( :( :(

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GPTribefan posted:

Seamheads has good stats for 1920-1948, and they don't count barnstorming games. Josh Gibson had 194 homers in Negro Major Leagues games, 44 in Mexican League games, and over 600 in exhibition games. The exhibition games won't count, and I'm not sure whether the MLB will include Mexican League stats but I don't think so.

Bill Veeck had a plan to fill his team with the best Negro League players he could find, but the league shut it down once word got out.

Babe Ruth, too. It's why he was never allowed to manage a team.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Manfred good?

Nah, this has to be a broken clock situation I'm assuming.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Pretty ridiculous it took this long, but at least it happened.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

Manfred good?

I assume it’s just to turf the Vizquel news

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No Safe Word posted:

Manfred good?

Correct

If it’s labor related he’s poo poo

Also it’s way, way past time for MLB to put Buck O’Neil in the Hall

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
For those who don't have an Athletic sub, that Omar Vizquel article shows how incredibly hosed up he is, and he totally manipulated his (soon to be ex) wife:

quote:

MLB began investigating the December 2016 arrest in 2017 and during the course of that probe an investigator with the commissioner’s office, Christopher Ramos, called the neighbor. The neighbor said he did not speak to MLB investigators because he feared what the implications would be for both Blanca and Omar, and he did not want to endanger Blanca. Around that time, the neighbor said he got a call from Omar.

“He told me everything’s good between him and Blanca, that nothing bad happened and it was an argument like all couples have. He told me Blanca was mentally ill, paranoid, afraid of everything and that she makes everything up in her head,” the neighbor said. “He told me, ‘That’s what you should tell MLB if they call back.’”

Toward the end of the season, the organization learned of an alleged incident involving Vizquel and a male clubhouse worker. The team suspended Vizquel with pay while probing the incident then terminated him in mid-September, after the season ended.

When reached by The Athletic, the clubhouse worker, who is no longer with the team, said: “I have to stay silent about this.”

Vizquel, when asked about the situation, said: “I can’t really say anything about that because it really — nothing happened.”

Basically threatened her to stay because she would lose out on all of his money if she left. He's a piece of poo poo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Always cool when you gaslight your partner into believing they're paranoid and mentally ill. :thumbsup:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a consensus among the sabermetrics crowd about how close the level of competition was to MLB at the time?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It seems like the higher level negro leagues would have had a similar mix of superlative talents like Paige and Gibson, mediocre guys and then the ones that wouldn't have gotten to the majors at all without the color line. I had the impression that the color line was a lot about keeping the exceptional black players out so that the low quality white players could stay in.

I'd be surprised if either was strictly better talentwise than the other, just because the modern situation where wealth more directly gives you better training/equipment/time doesn't seem like it would have been as true then.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

General Dog posted:

Is there a consensus among the sabermetrics crowd about how close the level of competition was to MLB at the time?

Very close. This post has a good analysis. Negro League teams had a win rate of .451 (64-78) in documented games against white MLB teams, and .750 against white minor league teams (36-12). Negro League teams were .471 (65-71) against Cuban teams, and white MLB teams were .601 (92-61) against Cuban teams. That is from 14 years ago so I don't know if there is more recent and complete data.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

The best negro league teams were as good or better than the best MLB teams, but the lower end of the negro leagues typically fell off quite a bit. For reasons no one has really ever figured out, negro league teams were wildly popular some places and really struggled in others, this largely independent of local racial makeup or segregation practices, and the teams at the bottom consistently struggled for stability.

That being said, there are precious few examples of non-all-star negro teams playing non-all-star MLB teams (thanks to Kennesaw Mountain being horrified at black teams beating his teams, lol), and anecdotally, both sides held that the major leaguers oftentimes did not put out 100%, versus the black players who were absolutely balls to the wall to win.

One of my favorite examples is the Battle of Kansas City, which is probably the best example I know of where a negro league team took on a white pro team in serious playoff series type baseball. The KC Blues at the time were consistently one of the best non-MLB teams in the country and were probably about as good as a basement MLB team any given year; they beat the Monarchs the first year and lost big the next year.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Unquestionably the best Negro Leaguers were as good (or often better) than the average major leaguers. The further you get from the best players the more complicated it gets, because even if the average numbers look worse, how much of that is actual talent and how much of it is having to play on worse fields, with worse equipment, in the middle of a brutal road trip where you'd go on a bus for 12 hours, maybe get to spend a night in a local house, before playing a double header and having to hit the road again that night.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bregor posted:

Also, y'all Omar Vizquel stans crack me up. I'd vote for him for the Hall of Nice Guys Who Did Web Gems a Lot but that's about it.

Now I can’t even vote for him for that!

Get hosed, Omar

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1339321122001653766

That is a lot more than I expected him to get.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If anyone needs a baseball fix the Nicaragua baseballl league (Liga de Béisbol Profesional Nacional) is streaming right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8TcAfDl_-U

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1339321122001653766

That is a lot more than I expected him to get.

That's kinda been the theme this offseason

Not many dudes have signed, but the ones that signed have gotten paid

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm going to use this as an extra reason to have some good bbq in KC while staying overnight after my son's visit to Children's Mercy.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Bregor posted:

Now I can’t even vote for him for that!

Get hosed, Omar

If anything bad comes out about Jim Thome, I'm going to just go ahead and abandon all of my positive memories of Cleveland baseball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol

https://twitter.com/JarJarFan69/status/1339393780412153856

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Don't worry, the Phillies seem to have become the new :mets:
Someone make and buy :cubs: but its Clark the Bear

The Cubs drafted approximately four hundred pitchers since 2012 and the only one who became a good starting pitcher was the one they traded away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember in 2010 they drafted a guy named Hayden Simpson in the first round who not even the guys who know all of the prospects had a profile on. He only had 3 professional seasons and never reached AA. The Cubs took him ahead of Christian Yelich and Noah Syndergaard.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Explosionface posted:

I'm going to use this as an extra reason to have some good bbq in KC while staying overnight after my son's visit to Children's Mercy.

Hope your kid is alright. The Negro League museum is also in KC and I hear it's GREAT if you can make it.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Poque posted:

Hope your kid is alright. The Negro League museum is also in KC and I hear it's GREAT if you can make it.

Can confirm, the place is awesome. I try to visit every time I get to KC, along with doing the proper BBQ thing by getting meat from Arthur Bryant's and driving up the street to Gates for sauce (and burnt ends).

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

tadashi posted:

Someone make and buy :cubs: but its Clark the Bear

The Cubs drafted approximately four hundred pitchers since 2012 and the only one who became a good starting pitcher was the one they traded away.

I was thinking more along the lines of :byodood: with a Cubs hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Poque posted:

Thanks. Today we have a follow-up telehealth meeting where we'll find out how things look. Unfortunately, we need to go home asap so we can get back to the other 3 kiddos. That is on my list at some point, however.