Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

It's back! Over three years ago, I set out to do as many King's Quest titles as I could. After putting out updates 3-5 times a week for 5 straight months, I burnt out and I burnt out hard. It was just a pity that I burnt out during my favorite of the lot. All the buildup and all of the terrible times for none of the payoff. I intend to correct that mistake and I will finish King's Quest 6.

What guarantees do you have that I won't burn out this time? Easy. The LP is already done. I have it all edited, screenshotted, typed up, and uploaded.

I've been living under a rock. What is King's Quest?

I have some light reading for you! You probably want to catch up on these, because both myself and the game will be shamelessly referencing them.

King's Quest I - The Quest for the Throne
King's Quest II - Romancing the Throne
King's Quest III - To Heir is Human
King's Quest IV - The Perils of Rosella
King's Quest V - Absence Makes the Heart go Yonder

Will you be contininuing on to King's Quest VII after this?

No. I originally had plans to do so, but those plans are much different now. King's Quest VII has a reputation for being a boring game, and while it's engaging to play, I can't guarantee that it will be entertaining to read. Also it's more than twice as long as this game is.

Maybe someday, but not now.

Tell me about the game!

Assuming you've done the requisite fast track 5-act coursework up above and have caught up...

Months have passed since Graham rescued his family from Mordack's castle at the end of King's Quest V. In all that time, Alexander has been unable to forget about the cute girl he briefly saw for like 45 seconds during the ending. One day while moping in the throne room, he hears a mysterious voice coming from the magic mirror on the wall...

Spoilers?

It shouldn't have to be said. This is easily the King's Quest game with the most story. Tag that poo poo. This game is probably older than some of you, so asking you to go spoiler-free is an exercise in futility. Just don't be That Guy who Kramers into the thread to talk at length about the game's ending on the first update.

If in doubt, use tags. If you're talking about something the LP hasn't covered, use tags.

Updates

I - Two Pirates and Al Borland
II - A Bridge Repair Kit
III - Prince Salamander of Pagentry
IV - Alexander Pulls Out His Magic Map
V - A Fifteen Year-old Roleplayer
VI - A Purple Fiddlewhacker
VII - It's Hardly Bath Water
VIII - His Name is Abdul Alhazred
IX - Not a Very Pleasant Stick-in-the-Mud
X - Magical Flying Nightshade Bush
XI - Hand-to-Hand Combat with a Minotaur
XII - The Shape of a Black Cloak
XIII - A Shining Example for an Impressionable Genie
XIV - The Beast You Could Do
XV - Truly Incredible Spoiled Egg
XVI - You're mad!
XVII - Ticket, please! Next!
XVIII - Burden Me Not With Thine Poetry
XIX - Princes Have no Sense of Humor
XX - A Ninny at Chess
XXI - A Jilted Lover
XXII - Girl in the Tower

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I - Two Pirates and Al Borland

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 16, 2020

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
King's Quest VI is the game that really got me into the Sierra library, which might not have been the best way to start, since as you said, this is one of the more user-friendly games in the series. Trying to go back to the text parsers was not the most pleasant experience, especially when you're 7 years old and have no idea what word they're looking for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blastinus posted:

King's Quest VI is the game that really got me into the Sierra library, which might not have been the best way to start, since as you said, this is one of the more user-friendly games in the series. Trying to go back to the text parsers was not the most pleasant experience, especially when you're 7 years old and have no idea what word they're looking for.

I don't know how to King's.

At least it wasn't Mask of Eternity

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Thank you for picking this back up! I read all your previous ones in the series at the time.

Are there any viziers in media who aren't evil?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DoubleNegative posted:

So get used to seeing me resting the "something is happening" crown on top of people's heads.

This is the correct way to play KQVI.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh hell yes, shame this was the stopping point last time, but good to see it picked up again!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Ah, one of the not-dogshit-awful King's Quests.

I'm sad you won't be continuing the series after VI, though, I would've loved to see your reaction to VIII. That was one hell of a shock.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Oh good, best King's Quest and easily fitting into top 5 best Sierra adventure games.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There was a couple of days back when I was in school when I was home sick with a really bad fever so I just sat at my computer and watched an LP of KQ6 on early-era Youtube through a fever haze. Since then it's been my favourite KQ. Not that I've played any of them, bit too young for that.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah such a lovely game. I recently got to pull some of the simpler puzzles for a game I running. I have such good memories, and thanks to my mother who figures out most of the puzzles. Hey, I was little, not so simple for a small child to solve the harder ones.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm so happy to see this happening again! I never really played the King's Quest series (I was a Space Quest/Quest for Glory kid), so getting to see the games my friends all rave about is really wonderful.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm sure we won't get board of this game, as you're playing it! :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Oooooh! I've been looking foooorward to this!

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
This game has such a nostalgia factor for me, along with it seems everyone else who's played the KQ series. By far the best of the lot, with the most interesting puzzles and characters and adventure. I'm really looking forward to reliving some of the events in the game with the LP.

If I recall correctly, you can look at almost anything and everything on the screen as well and the narrator will have something dry/sardonic to say about it. There is a bunch of unique descriptive dialogue. Like, the ocean on the first screen of the game, and the ship, and the sand, all get their own narration. It's pretty impressive.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To some extent I think KQVI benefits from extremely rose-colored glasses. "One of the best Sierra adventure games" is not very high praise. Still, it's charming as gently caress and it's easy to see why so many people have such nostalgia for it despite its shortcomings.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the first Gabriel Knight, KQVI and QfG line (excluding 5) were probably the best Sierra games.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Robindaybird posted:

the first Gabriel Knight, KQVI and QfG line (excluding 5) were probably the best Sierra games.

Don’t disrespect GK2, that was a solid FMV game amongst a pile of terrible attempts at FMV.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Lucas Archer posted:

Don’t disrespect GK2, that was a solid FMV game amongst a pile of terrible attempts at FMV.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a great FMV game, just because of the format it's a step down.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh yay you've come back to this one

this one has been my favourite of the series because it feels more cozy and approachable

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Some random recollections of playing KQVI in the early 90s:

-My first KQs were 4 and 5. This title was heavily anticipated and really did represent Sierra at their greatest heights. Its contemporaries were QG3 (and later 4) and SQ4, both extremely solid titles. GK1 and QG4 would follow a year later and were also truly excellent. It's weird to think now how deeply adventure games dominated the PC market at the time. They may have continued to do so if DOOM hadn't struck it so big.

-Sierra was *so proud* of the fact that they recorded an actual soft rock track for this game, Girl in the Tower. It was included in the game and was heavily featured in all of their demos and promotional materials. As a kid at the time, it really was mindblowing and they were right to tout it (never mind that the actual track was terrible). The track took up a significant portion of the memory required for this game. Speaking of which...

-The original DOS distribution for this game came on something like 12 3.5" disks. A full install that included the opening FMV took up 21 MB. I remember this well because my hard drive at the time had a 40 MB capacity. This, MSDOS, and Windows 3.1 would take up the grand majority of my hard drive space. It was extremely common to install and uninstall games as you were playing them. You could also do a partial install that skipped the FMV and came in at under 10 MB if I recall correctly.

-The copy protection was pretty well-implemented and felt like a good puzzle at the time. But I'll leave the details to the OP :-)

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
My greatest secret is that I unironically love Girl in the Tower. I just dig it.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Jolene posted:

My greatest secret is that I unironically love Girl in the Tower. I just dig it.

It is both catchy and terrible.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the tune is nice, the production of that song (didn't it actually get airplay in some markets?!) was...not so nice

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

II - A Bridge Repair Kit

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 18, 2020

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Oh this is great, one of my favorite Sierra games! My little sister is doing a blind LP of this right now and as a result I've found a few weird bugs/tricks that I'll mention as we get closer to them.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Ah yes, the shopkeeper who seems to be ethically opposed to actually making money. I suppose it's convenient that you can swap out any trinket you want though. An older game in the series would have let you throw away your money on something worthless and then not tell you until an hour later.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What?! No way to get yourself killed in the bookshop by pulling a bookshelf on top of yourself? Or getting killed for shoplifting? Is this even a Sierra game?!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Blastinus posted:

:same: :same:

I got the KQ collection, and for some reason KQ6 and KQ1 (EGA) were the only two games that worked right away.

Jolene posted:

:same: :same: :same: except there's no secret involved. Why care about what other people think regarding your tastes in music?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 16, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PurpleXVI posted:

What?! No way to get yourself killed in the bookshop by pulling a bookshelf on top of yourself? Or getting killed for shoplifting? Is this even a Sierra game?!

I will be very disappointed if that bear doesn't come alive and rip Alexander's head off at some point.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

DoubleNegative posted:

What was it when I looked at you? What pow'r has chained me through and through? And binds my heart with links so tight, I cannot live without the sight of you? What nameless thing has captured me? And made me powerless to flee? What thing is it without a name, that brings my mind e're back the same to thee? The name of 'love' cannot apply. It's commonness does not descry, the haunted, hunted, painful cry that my heart makes for you. That ere my soul eternal makes for you.

I was gonna say next to nobody reading this probably got that joke. But knowing you all, most of you probably got it and are laughing at it as hard at it as I did. If you didn't get it, trust me... it's quite funny.

I'm gonna be the guy who doesn't get it and needs the joke explained.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Truthkeeper posted:

I'm gonna be the guy who doesn't get it and needs the joke explained.
The portrait is the Crystal Exarch from FFXIV, and he is extremely the kind of guy who would write this kind of poetry about the player character.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Glad to see we're back in the Land of the Green Isles after so long.

I think Hakim, Ali, and the guard dogs each have dialogue confirming that you're on the Isle of the Crown, depending on which one you talk to first.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I can finally link this stupid thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnww_2a5o0

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

This was, oddly enough, the one King's Quest I'm not sure if I ever finished. Managed to struggle through the parsers of 1-4 and the inanity of 5, but I vaguely recall not being able to figure out which of the eponymous "Isles" (plural) I was supposed to go next.

So, uh, you just gonna ignore that dude in the black robe? He's probably not as creepy as he seems...or he's going to straight up shank you for interrupting his reading - either way, we should be friendly.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

MagusofStars posted:

So, uh, you just gonna ignore that dude in the black robe? He's probably not as creepy as he seems...or he's going to straight up shank you for interrupting his reading - either way, we should be friendly.

We haven't left the bookstore yet, I'm guessing we'll start with the hooded stranger before we get to the ferryman and more :words:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
It's so kind of the pawn shop owner to allow you to trade in those pieces, one to one. When I was playing this as a kid that was a godsend, especially as I was trying to figure out different puzzles and wondering which item would work with with which obstacle. I loved the guys VA as well.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I like to think the pawnbroker took pity on the teenage boy that's in a strange place with only a copper to his name. I mean, we don't know how old Alexander is suppose to be, but he can't be older than 20.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

:same: :same: :same: except there's no secret involved. Why care about what other people think regarding your tastes in music?

:hai: Girl in the Tower is great and I love it dearly because it's such an earnest power ballad. Also because apparently, Sierra got in super trouble because fans of King's Quest 6 would inundate radio stations with requests to the point where more than one program director called Ken Williams to complain. :allears:

MagusofStars posted:

We'll find out what his deal is in the next update!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Girl in the Tower is cheesy, but all the best power ballads are.