Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's almost as if government agencies aren't very good at handling complex operations. Shocker.

When they've been damaged in targeted ways by a capitalist put in charge of them specifically to destroy them, yes. The global disaster that causes more people to send things through the mail while also making postal workers sick for weeks at a time probably didn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's almost as if government agencies aren't very good at handling complex operations. Shocker.
Lol.

Private couriers rely on the USPS infrastructure all the time. They deliver mail to a bunch of places private companies won't touch.

What a fuckin take. Holy poo poo Ron Paul Jr. Purestrain take-rear end bitch

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, the USPS crushed it up until a few months ago when they started loving with it. Ugh.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Odd that I'm not at peak performance when someone comes into my office every thirty minutes and punches me in the face.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

Jeeze. Did I hit a nerve?

Ignorance of a service that benefits the working class and blaming its shortcomings on “government” instead of the criminals who ran the current administration is pretty frustrating to deal with.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ruddiger posted:

Ignorance of a service that benefits the working class and blaming its shortcomings on “government” instead of the criminals who ran the current administration is pretty frustrating to deal with.

It's strange to separate "the criminals who ran the current administration" from "government". As if this specific power hungry president was some sort of anomaly.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FilthyImp posted:

What a fuckin take. Holy poo poo Ron Paul Jr. Purestrain take-rear end bitch

Lots of people getting butt hurt itt over a basic and not-unique opinion. Did Tom Woods kill your all's dogs or something?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Dude you're more than welcome to pay twice as much to get things fedexed, so stfu

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The irony about the dicking around with USPS is that UPS is also loving up as much. They lost important docs from my employer (by delivering to the wrong address, despite it needing a signature) and a two day air shipment of perishable food shipped on Saturday isn't delivering until tomorrow.

FedEx seems to be working a little better, but nobody is going to use them for ordinary poo poo when USPS will ship media mail and first class for cheap.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

FedEx seems to be working a little better, but nobody is going to use them for ordinary poo poo when USPS will ship media mail and first class for cheap.

A few months back, my roommate ordered some pizzas that came in via FedEx, we watched the tracking system bounce it back and forth between two locations for a week, literally passing my apartment each time. Needless to say the dry ice had melted and the pizzas were no longer good when it finally arrived.

The USPS does a loving amazing job in spite of current interests attempting to kill it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is this guy’s problem with the post office? It stops working as well for the first time in living memory and he bloviates like “guess the government is bad at things because it is bad. Too much truth 4 U to handle?”

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What is this guy’s problem with the post office? It stops working as well for the first time in living memory and he bloviates like “guess the government is bad at things because it is bad. Too much truth 4 U to handle?”

If the functionality of a huge agency lives or dies by the whim of one government figure, there's something inherently wrong with that. That's all I'm saying.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Lmfao

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

A reminder that the only reason that the Post Office is underfunded is because Congress passed a law requiring them to find their pensions 75 years in advance. It is absolutely an effort to make a public service lovely and prop up private carriers.

Hell, mail sorting machines were getting pulled out of offices within the last three months.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Why is it that people who end an argument with “that’s all I’m saying” never have any loving clue what they’re talking about?

Tremors UHD arrives tomorrow, I can’t wait. I also can’t believe I spent $40 on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have been burning money on UHD’s since getting the 4K player. Is this where my paycheck goes from here on out or what?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

yoohoo posted:

I have been burning money on UHD’s since getting the 4K player. Is this where my paycheck goes from here on out or what?

:yeah:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spatulater bro! posted:

If the functionality of a huge agency lives or dies by the whim of one government figure, there's something inherently wrong with that. That's all I'm saying.
Lol at having your head so far up your rear end you conveniently forget the insane funding rules/prohibition on banking services/etc that have been used to kneecap the agency.

"But government!" says bloke who drives on freeways, enjoys non-poisoned aspirin & groceries, and posts on the internet.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FilthyImp posted:

"But government!" says bloke who drives on freeways, enjoys non-poisoned aspirin & groceries, and posts on the internet.

lol that you think the government is the only means by which those things could exist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

lol that you think the government is the only means by which those things could exist.

Take this poo poo to D&D, there are plenty of bad opinions there

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

Take this poo poo to D&D, there are plenty of bad opinions there

Touché that this is not the right thread for this conversation.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat, with 27 new posts I expected a James Cameron box set announcement

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
In non-douche news, I got a copy of the Road Warrior blu-ray at Dollar Tree today. You'd do well to check their movie selection because it rotates fats and they frequently have some gems in there. It's mostly DVD but if you're not a sperglord like myself and will still buy DVDs when a blu-ray is available then the selection of movies is even better.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I apologize for bringing up the USPS.

I guess I’m just gunna buy the Dawn of the Dead set off someone on blu-ray.com because they got an extra copy and aren’t charging an arm and a leg for it. If I get the other one it should be easy enough to sell.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it crazy for me to wait for a US release?

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Spatulater bro! posted:

:lol: ok dude

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

At this point you’re just waiting out a grumpy old man who is taking it out on fans that no one wanted a 3D conversion of their beloved film but the 4K edition is seemingly flying off shelves. Let’s hope his greed gets the best of him and sees all that money lying on the table for a stateside release. I’ll even triple dip!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Spatulater bro! posted:

Why don't you move to Somalia, mate.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm just sick of everything being a limited release. Maybe that was part of the licensing agreement but this poo poo gets annoying.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead blu-ray is good enough for me. Where the gently caress is the Martin blu-ray?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

The Anchor Bay Dawn of the Dead blu-ray is good enough for me. Where the gently caress is the Martin blu-ray?

The Second Sight set is bloody gorgeous though.

re: the Martin blu-ray that they're working on, apparently Second Sight are aiming for an early 2021 release, but it has been delayed by various factors, including the odd lockdown.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

The Second Sight set is bloody gorgeous though.

re: the Martin blu-ray that they're working on, apparently Second Sight are aiming for an early 2021 release, but it has been delayed by various factors, including the odd lockdown.

Yeah but I'm in Merica :911:. Wasn't there supposed to be a release for Freedomland?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Yeah but I'm in Merica :911:. Wasn't there supposed to be a release for Freedomland?

According to blu-ray dot com, there isn't one scheduled. However, you can get one from Japan, if you're desperate for a Region A release.

I assume the long-delayed Second Sight release 4K will be region free though.

I also feel a mixture of smugness and guilt when I see Brits talking about their shipments being delayed, since I got mine relatively hassle-free down here in the Southern Hemisphere, out in the colonies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

According to blu-ray dot com, there isn't one scheduled. However, you can get one from Japan, if you're desperate for a Region A release.

I assume the long-delayed Second Sight release 4K will be region free though.

I also feel a mixture of smugness and guilt when I see Brits talking about their shipments being delayed, since I got mine relatively hassle-free down here in the Southern Hemisphere, out in the colonies.

For what that seems to be going for I'd probably be better off just spending a little extra and getting an all regions blu-ray player (which is something I've been telling myself I'd do for years). Especially if I ordered it directly from Japan.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

yoohoo posted:

Tremors UHD arrives tomorrow, I can’t wait. I also can’t believe I spent $40 on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've taken the money I'd spend on weekly trips to the movie theater towards collecting these. It does get expensive, though.

I haven't made the time to watch the movie proper, but the Tremors 4k set is gorgeous. Graboid diagrams, a coupon to Chang's Supermarket, a book with great pics (haven't read it all the way). If you love Tremors (which I do), you probably couldn't ask for a better presentation and supplements.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

For what that seems to be going for I'd probably be better off just spending a little extra and getting an all regions blu-ray player (which is something I've been telling myself I'd do for years). Especially if I ordered it directly from Japan.

From my sample size of one Blu-Ray ordered from Japan, the problem with a Japanese edition of an English language movie, is that there's likely to be Japanese subtitles that you will not be able to turn off.

You get used to it, but it's really bizarre, especially since they're not burned in, so you can adjust the size, color, and position, but nope they're going to be there the entire loving time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That's what I'm doing since I really don't think $100 USD was worth it to me for the film and I'm guessing a US release is imminent given how hard they made it to import.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Egbert Souse posted:

That's what I'm doing since I really don't think $100 USD was worth it to me for the film and I'm guessing a US release is imminent given how hard they made it to import.

Yeah this was my rationale too. I love Dawn of the Dead but I genuinely don't know if I love ANY movie $100 worth, especially when I need to pay the rent.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

An all region player is seriously worth it if you buy movies often enough. It really opens up the releases you can get, if you don't mind the shipping fees.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Every self-respecting Blu-ray collector ought to have a region free player, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I'm riding my Xbox One until I get enough shelving to start buying those Eureka Hong Kong Blu Rays, then going in on a region-free UBP-X700.