Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

withoutclass posted:

When you login and are greeted by enormous fortnite garbage ads probably.

What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

When I turn my PS5 on I start at the game page I played last.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think the ad page is a thing only Americans get.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The ads thing is country-based right? Thought I remember hearing it's mostly US PS5s. I don't have big honkin' ads on my home page. It's the standard wallpaper and then one of the first cards is usually a news card about games I own, like a new set of cars for Rocket League.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have discovered the PS5 Control pad works better and is more responsive than the standard Nintendo one, but also seems to really hurt my thumb from extended play in a way that the Nintendo d-pad never has. Anyone else similar?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have discovered the PS5 Control pad works better and is more responsive than the standard Nintendo one, but also seems to really hurt my thumb from extended play in a way that the Nintendo d-pad never has. Anyone else similar?

Yes on the better responsiveness, no on the thumb strain - but I'm also way more used to the DualShock-type layout than the asymmetric Xbox/Nintendo layout. Maybe that's your issue? I do feel like the d-pad on the DualSense is sitting a wee bit too low compared to my 8bitdo SN30+ controller, for example, which I could see causing an awkward angle for someone who doesn't have baby hands like me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Necrothatcher posted:

I think the ad page is a thing only Americans get.

Oh, well, RIP.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

please gaming god let me get rid of this ad page on ps5 home screen fml i hate it so much

You wouldn’t see this if you used rest mode

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

You guys are just jealous you can't play both PC games, Counterstrike and World of Warcraft.

As the PC Gaming Master Race, I'm proud to say those games are the only things over 13 years old I'm attracted to.

that's ok because the good MMO is on PS4/5

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

End-stage capitalist ads for end-stage capitalists. Checks out.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I enjoy playing games on the Switch, PS4/5, Xbone, 3DS, and PC. Am I broken and should I throw out all but one of those in a huge huff?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is the HDR implementation in RE3 bad? I've been playing through and had to turn off HDR. It just made everything look foggy and I'm not sure if that is intentional given it's a horror game and all. It's also the first PS4 game I've played on PS5.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

shortspecialbus posted:

I enjoy playing games on the Switch, PS4/5, Xbone, 3DS, and PC. Am I broken and should I throw out all but one of those in a huge huff?

You should just give them all to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Switch/PS5 is the ultimate gamer combo it lets you play 95% of everything worth playing, and then my PC mops up the scraps that don’t make it onto good consoles.

I couldn’t imagine firing up my 3DS after playing Switch ever again though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is works of tanks any good I saw you can play as snake plisken?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Switch/PS5 is the ultimate gamer combo it lets you play 95% of everything worth playing, and then my PC mops up the scraps that don’t make it onto good consoles.

I couldn’t imagine firing up my 3DS after playing Switch ever again though.

I have phoenix wright games in a media that runs on 3DS. Honestly occasionally doing a case on one of those is about the only thing that I use it for anymore.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

bradzilla posted:

Is the HDR implementation in RE3 bad? I've been playing through and had to turn off HDR. It just made everything look foggy and I'm not sure if that is intentional given it's a horror game and all. It's also the first PS4 game I've played on PS5.
RE and Monster Hunter World have atrocious tonemapping, and SDR looks like a total mess. I would have assumed HDR was at least decent and what they optimized for, but I guess it looks washed out everywhere.

An interesting comparison is with XSX which has built-in tonemapping which ends up fixing a lot of these games to make them look like outright remasters.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I guess I’m just lucky I don’t have to deal with any of the HDR/4k stuff since I have like an 8-yr old 1080p TV and games look great to me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game in 4k or HDR so I don’t know what I’m missing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I just think goons don't know how to play with their TV or game settings, hdr looks great on my TV. Still a step up from no HDR on the supposedly badly implemented games and I'm happy with the picture after minimal tweaking. There's already been a poster or two who were complaining for a few pages, fiddled with the menu, and was like oh this looks nice now.

The older I get the more I realize that most people really don't enjoy troubleshooting or messing with settings. Idk I think it's fun

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 17, 2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

JazzFlight posted:

I guess I’m just lucky I don’t have to deal with any of the HDR/4k stuff since I have like an 8-yr old 1080p TV and games look great to me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game in 4k or HDR so I don’t know what I’m missing.

You are missing out. HDR/4K stuff is awesome I just think most people don't know how to calibrate a TV or have low end cheap TV's that say they do HDR but really don't properly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
HDR on TVs is perfectly fine (now), it's mostly on monitors where it's a total mess. Games still screw it up from time to time, though, but non-gaming content should like excellent.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

wandler20 posted:

or have low end cheap TV's that say they do HDR but really don't properly.

My TV is a $300 Wal Mart brand lol, using cheaper hardware necessitates the need for tweaking with settings I guess. My cheap laptops always require a lot of fiddling to get a nice color balance whereas the screen on any mac looks gorgeous and perfectly balanced right out of the box. Too bad the rest of the computer sucks

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

KingSlime posted:

I just think goons don't know how to play with their TV or game settings, hdr looks great on my TV. Still a step up from no HDR on the supposedly badly implemented games and I'm happy with the picture after minimal tweaking. There's already been a poster or two who were complaining for a few pages, fiddled with the menu, and was like oh this looks nice now.

The older I get the more I realize that most people really don't enjoy troubleshooting or messing with settings. Idk I think it's fun

It's almost like HDR has no universal standard and there are hundreds of different TV models. Or I guess you can take your n of 2 and feel satisfied that everyone else is just dumb and doesn't understand technology.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah but in this case it's just clicking different options on the remote dude, not really representative of intelligence or troubleshooting abilities

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I mean, you're spend hundreds of dollars on a TV, take 20 minutes and optimize the settings. The internet is right there and will tell you the best settings and every game I've played has an HDR calibration tool built right into it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
That's my point. Some TV's simply don't handle it well no matter what you you do with the settings. It's genuinely good that it works well for you, but I think you are making a jump assuming that all HDR can be made excellent by just fiddling with settings.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
My point is that people should try the settings before they give up on HDR. That's all! If you tried the settings and had no luck improving the picture, then yep that's bust and I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely try the settings first though

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Megasabin posted:

That's my point. Some TV's simply don't handle it well no matter what you you do with the settings. It's genuinely good that it works well for you, but I think you are making a jump assuming that all HDR can be made excellent by just fiddling with settings.

I do agree with that, but if you do mess with the settings the game should still look decent at the least and not a washed out mess.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

My point is that people should try the settings before they give up on HDR. That's all! If you tried the settings and had no luck improving the picture, then yep that's bust and I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely try the settings first though
The implementation of HDR is just busted in some games, this isn't new!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

KingSlime posted:

RE3 is the only game I've ever had HDR issues with. That said, I've got a new Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and set of Klipsch Reference speakers sitting in their boxes waiting for me to setup. My Christmas gift to myself. Gonna spend a couple hours setting it up over the weekend and I can't loving wait. I'm a AV nerd to the core.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The PC actually has games.

It does?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

KingSlime posted:

If I wanted to gently caress with settings I'd use a PC.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Shy posted:

It does?
Sure there's Zork, Breakout, Super Breakout... Photoshop...

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
THe only "game" I use my PC for is trying to get a ps5

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Akuma posted:

Sure there's Zork, Breakout, Super Breakout... Photoshop...

How dare you overlook Minesweeper.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KingSlime posted:

Yeah but in this case it's just clicking different options on the remote dude, not really representative of intelligence or troubleshooting abilities

Dude HDR on TV is still very not normal or standardized. And there are hundreds of TVs that say they do HDR (and technically they do) but have poor implementation or not adequate brightness levels of the TV to achieve it.

It is 100% not easy to achieve great results across the board and it's not just a matter of fiddling with the settings.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shy posted:

It does?

This entire subforum was named after a PC game for a month!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Casnorf posted:

If I wanted to gently caress with settings I'd use a PC.

Picture settings are a thing on every single display you'll ever own but okay sure

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what I miss? The degauss button. That was always fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
bye bye ps5, barely knew yah. i hope the replacement isn't one of the loud ones. this one was really quiet.