Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Without a kidney transplant (and I am O+, one of the worst candidates AFAIK, and am at the bottom of the list), it is likely that I will die before 2030, and probably before 2025, according to my nephrologist.

This has been a fun week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, that really sucks on toast. I've been afraid of that having had kidney issues in the past. I'm really sorry.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I keep running in to this issue where therapists don't believe that I'm depressed and riddled with anxiety because I'm a decently charming person. I get along with people really easily and they tend to trust me quickly because I don't manipulate people or cultivate relationships with an agenda (something I've learned is kinda rare.)

So during therapy I am "on" and can easily articulate my issues. I've told them that it's all a very well-practiced veneer that I can't really drop, so they few times it cracks, it feels somehow dishonest.

Getting meds is a loving nightmare in this state. No one I talk to really believes me when I tell them that my anxiety has dominated my life so much that I'm completely empty. Yeah I can hold down a job but that's about it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How many therapists have you seen? If it's been more than two or three and they all are saying the same thing then maybe you don't need pills? Otherwise I'd say just go to different therapists until you find someone that will just cut you a prescription.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I am obviously not a doctor, but masking is very common with my condition and it can be a very hard habit to break. It is entirely possible they're not communicating to these therapists their angst well-enough. It's buttfucking ridiculous, but we are all still humans and even highly trained humans often fail to recognize anything is wrong without obvious, outward manifestation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Solice Kirsk posted:

How many therapists have you seen? If it's been more than two or three and they all are saying the same thing then maybe you don't need pills? Otherwise I'd say just go to different therapists until you find someone that will just cut you a prescription.

I've gone to a total of five over 15 years and the manifestation of the issues has changed over time. So I don't have a good enough sample size to make a good judgement.

The problem is compounded by having switched insurance just before the pandemic and I never got a new PCP established. No one is taking new patients because of COVID and none of the available therapists can prescribe and/or do not refer to folks who do.

Maybe I'm missing a critical element to this structure but American healthcare is such a clusterfuck that I'm moreorless resigned to just feeling bad all the time.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

US healthcare cluster-gently caress aside the key term to use (at least the one in Australia I've been told to use because it sets doctors in the right mindset) is that you 'present well'. ymmv obviously and I can't speak to the way things work over there but it may at least be worth a shot when you can see someone.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

In the middle of cooking dinner something decided to keep tripping the fuse for the lights. This meant finishing cooking by the torch on my phone which was less than ideal.

Having a bit of a look around didn't prove very useful as to what was causing the problem. If I can't find it tomorrow easy enough it's going to be an expensive day getting an electrician out.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
A friend of mine has been going through a severe psychological crisis due to a heavily abusive relationship that she's trying to extricate herself from. I haven't been around to help out due to a number of reasons, but mostly covid.

A guy I know who lives near her called me the other day and described how she'd taken a really bad turn, was suicidal and self harming and had asked to be hospitalized. Despite my description of my many, many times having been rightfully hospitalized and how it literally saved my life more than once, his response was "lol no she should just crash on my couch, you're being dramatic" and completely ignoring my experience.

She fell down some stairs and broke her spine in two places today, either from her being hosed up from drugs or intentionally trying to harm herself.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Prolapsed my loving lower back and it completely blows, I can barely move and may have to be hospitalized. :( this could completely destroy my plans with my son this holiday. He lives most of the time with his mom and we haven't seen each other in like 10 weeks due to both of us being quarantined several times. gently caress

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is minor compared to an injured back but I'm going to complain.

I don't know why but I'm apparently a magnet for the worst loving gifts. Like every year the few people I surround myself with seem to collectively get together, decide "wow gently caress that guy" and buy me useless crap that 30 seconds of critical thinking would tell them I don't need and would never need, much less want. My mother bought me a loving long-sleeve sweater after I moved to a hot climate. My roommate bought me a 4-pack of gross gag soda after taking over the house for 2 months with tile drilling for her Etsy store, during which she'd literally shove checks for thousands of dollars into my face to brag. My girlfriend heard my shoulders hurt and while she meant well, she honestly thought a $20 electric massager from Amazon was a worthwhile gift solution, despite me telling her that my foam roller is all I need and that electric solutions don't really work.

All these gifts have done are given me work to stealthily get rid of them in a way that won't hurt their precious feelings. All their gifts did were give me chores.

And I'm loving poor. I should be the easiest giftee in the loving world. Get me socks, underwear, loving cleaning/cooking supplies or other housewares. Get me any $20 worth of stuff I would hate to spend unexpectedly. We're in 2020 and it's the loving plague year, and we know it's not getting better. Stop acting like now is the time to "get something you wouldn't normally get for yourself" or "something fun." It's not loving fun. I'm not having loving fun getting rid of Peanut Butter and Jelly soda. I'm not having fun having to lie to your face and pretend that hard plastic knobs I have to lay flat on just to use are in any way effective at treating muscle pain. I should not have to explain why I don't need a sweater in a climate where the average temperature is 76F.

I would legitimately have rather gotten nothing. I really would have.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It’s the thought that counts

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've sold and shipped a ton of stuff the last few weeks via usps and none of it has arrived at their destinations, tracking info hasn't updated or even been input altogether in some cases, and customers are losing their minds at me. If I start getting hit with mass chargebacks and claims I'm in trouble.

I know usps is having trouble with the holiday season especially after Trump's crony gutted the auto-sorting machines, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Some of the stuff shipped as priority mail has been sitting in one spot for two weeks now.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Captain Invictus posted:

I've sold and shipped a ton of stuff the last few weeks via usps and none of it has arrived at their destinations, tracking info hasn't updated or even been input altogether in some cases, and customers are losing their minds at me. If I start getting hit with mass chargebacks and claims I'm in trouble.

I know usps is having trouble with the holiday season especially after Trump's crony gutted the auto-sorting machines, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Some of the stuff shipped as priority mail has been sitting in one spot for two weeks now.

This is me with what I sent to my secret Santa. It was supposed to get there yesterday but isn't even in the system.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hedrigall posted:

gently caress off dude, that's not the case when there's clearly no thought at all.

My day is lovely because it's been a year since I saw my family and Christmas is gonna be bullshit and everyone around me has their family close by and can do a bubble or whatever so when I go back to work they'll all be talking about their loving christmas dinner and I just want it to go away

e: also i did a gift exchange with a friend in the US to try and cheer both our christmases and her package got to me last week while mine to her seems to be stuck in loving customs limbo and is still saying it'll be no later than 24/12 but let's see if that's true

eating only apples has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Dec 23, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

As eating only apples pointed out, this doesn't apply when there's clearly not been any kindness aforethought.

Don't come into this thread to snipe at people.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

That's what people say when they have nothing better to say.

The thought counts when thought is put into it.

My friend, who never buys me gifts (we always go out to eat for my birthday and xmas, and couldn't this year) did get me a small trio of hedgehog statues. I almost cried, because my pet hedgehog Urchin died a few months ago, and I almost cried because there was thought put into it, and for a dude who never buys presents for people, it was spot on what I needed.

Last year, my dad's family all got together, him, my stepmom, her adult sons and one wife, and the two kids. I don't know any of these people really, so my gifts were pretty lame: the stepbrothers all got portable chargers for their phones, and my sister in law got some gloves and a beanie. They did seem to like them, but one stepbrother gifted me my first ever Pokemon Funko, because he knew I liked Pokemon. This is a dude I see maybe twice a year, and it was really touching that he even got me anything.

Compare to my brother, who, years ago, with his second job ever, went all out for himself that Xmas, buying a new N64 and several games, and got my mom some $5 KMart lotion and bath set, and got me a $4.99 rubber chicken. For my clown job, he said, all proud, while I held this five inches of stinky rubber. At the time, I was a clown, but I mostly twisted balloon animals, did some magic and face painting, and of course I know the price because he left the sticker on, and even had it "wrapped" in the Kmart bag it came in. The last time we ever exchanged gifts, he gave me an aquarium and stand, which, as a fish keeper, would be an awesome gift, even used, save he passed it over, saying he got a 55 gallon tank now and didn't need this, so I could have it, nasty gravel and all.

See how one gift means more than the other?

My only poo poo thing of the day is that my boss texted me to let me know she sees things on the floor in my work van: new policy dictates that we cannot have ANYTHING in the cab of the van, not even a water bottle. Seeing as it gets over 110* in the summer here, there is NO loving ice pack that will keep a lunch box cold for more than an hour when you leave the lunch box in the back of the van. So I need to find some fake floor panels to cover up my soft sided lunch box.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
But how do they expect people to drive the vans without being in the vans?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Astrofig posted:

But how do they expect people to drive the vans without being in the vans?

Aha, well see, we are allowed some things in the cap of the vehicle, like our very heavy cell phone tablets, our binders full of maintenance information, but no lotion, we're not even supposed to have hand sanitizer up there, nothing on the passenger seat not even a Kleenex box. Oh, and no water bottles.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They're not allowed anything that would give the impression that they're people, you see. Only mindless automatons who live and lust for serving the company! Your sleeping hours are only begrudgingly allowed; if your job could jab an IV of caffeine into your veins to keep you up at all hours, they would.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Xmas morning started out pretty good, got some good stuff, surprise my mom with a bunch of really fun things, decide to go do a drive-thru downtown to check out the Christmas displays, and play some Pokemon go, and after a 2 minute sit with my car off, now she won't turn on. so now I'm currently waiting for a tow truck which will be here in about 40 minutes, but I can't ride back with the tow truck guy to my house because of covid, so have to arrange for an Uber or just walk back there myself.

No idea what's wrong with the car, it just makes it horrible grinding sound. clicking would be the battery, I literally just had the ignition switch replaced a few months ago. but at least aaa's on the road today, otherwise my car would have to stay here.

And I have to pee.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

Xmas morning started out pretty good, got some good stuff, surprise my mom with a bunch of really fun things, decide to go do a drive-thru downtown to check out the Christmas displays, and play some Pokemon go, and after a 2 minute sit with my car off, now she won't turn on. so now I'm currently waiting for a tow truck which will be here in about 40 minutes, but I can't ride back with the tow truck guy to my house because of covid, so have to arrange for an Uber or just walk back there myself.

No idea what's wrong with the car, it just makes it horrible grinding sound. clicking would be the battery, I literally just had the ignition switch replaced a few months ago. but at least aaa's on the road today, otherwise my car would have to stay here.

And I have to pee.

Could be the starter. A few years ago I had the starter on my Sentra go right when I was about to go meet some friends for dinner on my birthday, that suuuucked.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The starter works by pushing a gear into a larger gear hooked to your engine to get it moving. If the gear in the starter is worn out, or the starter mounting bolts have worked loose the grinding you hear is the gears failing to mesh. A starter is about 80-120$ and most I've worked on consists of unhook the battery, unhook the starter electrical, undo the mounting bolts, pull the starter out, it's heavy, be careful, it's a big electric motor. Then do the reverse of taking it out to install. It's not a big repair, but that would be the why grinding, and what to expect from a shop if you can't do it yourself.

If it's cold, engine vibration and heating and cooling cycles could have caused the bolts to work loose and it might just need tightening up if the grinding is the first time you heard it.

winterwerefox has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Dec 25, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

winterwerefox posted:

The starter works by pushing a gear into a larger gear hooked to your engine to get it moving. If the gear in the starter is worn out, or the starter mounting bolts have worked loose the grinding you hear is the gears failing to mesh. A starter is about 80-120$ and most I've worked on consists of unhook the battery, unhook the starter electrical, undo the mounting bolts, pull the starter out, it's heavy, be careful, it's a big electric motor. Then do the reverse of taking it out to install. It's not a big repair, but that would be the why grinding, and what to expect from a shop if you can't do it yourself.

You can also usually avoid a tow by whacking the starter with a wrench to jar it loose while someone is trying to start the car, but that only really ever works once, so it’s basically just a way to get it to the shop.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Grinding says to me that the starter drive gear is being engaged, but it is possible it's not engaging all the way, getting stuck part way and slipping against the fly wheel's teeth. Usually a stuck starter sounds like an electric motor going all out with no resistance as it's not pushed forward with it's magnets.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Turns out my battery is three years old, and the top got super corroded. The tow truck dude was loving nice and cleaned it for me, got it to start up a few tries later, and made sure I got home okay. I still need a new battery and a negative battery cable, so keeping the appointment at the mechanic tomorrow just in case it's more than that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cowslips Warren posted:

Turns out my battery is three years old, and the top got super corroded. The tow truck dude was loving nice and cleaned it for me, got it to start up a few tries later, and made sure I got home okay. I still need a new battery and a negative battery cable, so keeping the appointment at the mechanic tomorrow just in case it's more than that.

:gbsmith:

ps thanks for the starter info everyone. Know what to look out for if it ever comes up in my life and can now look like a wizard.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Yay! Glad you got home safe! You can clean a car battery of corrosion with a wire brush and baking soda in water. Battery acid white powder you see on top is sulfuric acid, for a regular maintenance of your battery going forward. Unhook the terminals, scrub the terminals and wire heads till shiny. Corrosion acts as an extra load on the battery when drawing power, and enough corrosion can lead to not enough getting to the starter and causing starting issues.

On topic, my day was lovely because my boomer parents I've been forced to live with were spouting racial 'truth' this morning. And how all the gifts they got me and my brother are collectible and will gain value! Who the hell needs multiple copies of Rex from Toy Story and a off brand dragons from Dragonheart that are not Draco, never appeared in the movie and collectors value.. is exactly what they paid for it? They just spent all morning talking how collectable they were. Never showed interest in Toy Story, and while I like Dragonheart, main character would make more sense. If I was the kind of person to care about collections while having no where to call my own home

winterwerefox has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Dec 25, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
We should have a PYF emergency maintence tips thread, you never know when some weird thing you read online will stick in your head and get you out of a jam.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

We should have a PYF emergency maintence tips thread, you never know when some weird thing you read online will stick in your head and get you out of a jam.

Oh please, this would be amazing.

The only thing I have to offer is how rubbing alcohol/hand sanitizer/alcohol is good to get a nonvenomous snake to release a bite from you. Rub the stuff over the nose/pits, and the snake will let go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh please, this would be amazing.

The only thing I have to offer is how rubbing alcohol/hand sanitizer/alcohol is good to get a nonvenomous snake to release a bite from you. Rub the stuff over the nose/pits, and the snake will let go.

I’ll make it at some point this weekend when I can think of a few good ones for the OP!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm getting chewed out by one of my clients because I had the audacity to take yesterday off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The thought of going back to work on Tuesday is stressing me out. I really need to get out of this drat job.

E:A huge amount of the stress is having to wake up at 245 every day to start at 4. It’s impossible to sleep properly on this schedule. Sleeping for night shift is easier than this.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Dec 27, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The thought of going back to work on Tuesday is stressing me out. I really need to get out of this drat job.

E:A huge amount of the stress is having to wake up at 245 every day to start at 4. It’s impossible to sleep properly on this schedule. Sleeping for night shift is easier than this.

Can you try a split sleeping pattern? Say sleep 20:45 - 2:45 and then have a nap for a few hours in the early afternoon. This way you're still going to bed at a somewhat less stupid hour and still getting your 8 in. I've found this to help me personally with having to work late when I can never sleep past 5am.

Obviously this doesn't fix the hours problem but at least it may allow you to have dinner with the people in your house.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

Can you try a split sleeping pattern? Say sleep 20:45 - 2:45 and then have a nap for a few hours in the early afternoon. This way you're still going to bed at a somewhat less stupid hour and still getting your 8 in. I've found this to help me personally with having to work late when I can never sleep past 5am.

Obviously this doesn't fix the hours problem but at least it may allow you to have dinner with the people in your house.

My actual finishing time is completely unpredictable. It’s always at least 1230 but can be as late as 430. I really can’t win and it’s why I’m trying to find a different job because this is absolutely brutal.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm back whining about my prolapsed disc which is better but it still hurts, and it hurt so bad initially that every time I exert myself and my back hurts a little extra I feel like I'm having a mini panic attack. I know physical activity is the way to heal it, and I do try to move around as much as possible but I'm actually terrified every time I sit down or stand up or bend slightly too far in the wrong direction. I can barely sleep because I wake up in a panic every time my back says "gently caress you", which is often.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
not content with being one of the worst years of the last century for a variety of reasons, it couldn't end without coco, my adorable little hamster, dying. She was such a friendly, talkative hamster, I know they don't live long, but it would've been nice for her to make it out of the hell year. And my dog is going very blind and pretty deaf too, I don't know how much longer she has left either. It's a bummer.

when I woke up today she was toddling around her cage, probably looking for a place to die, and when I picked her up she was cold to the touch so I knew it was almost time. but I am glad I was able to be there with her for her last moments and keep her warm as I could, I always try to do that for my pets. I think it's horrible to die alone, regardless of whether there's something after all this or not.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I went to sleep fairly drunk and didn't charge my watch and phone. But the worst part? I can't find one of my airpods.

At least I know it's probably somewhere in the house.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

not content with being one of the worst years of the last century for a variety of reasons, it couldn't end without coco, my adorable little hamster, dying. She was such a friendly, talkative hamster, I know they don't live long, but it would've been nice for her to make it out of the hell year. And my dog is going very blind and pretty deaf too, I don't know how much longer she has left either. It's a bummer.

when I woke up today she was toddling around her cage, probably looking for a place to die, and when I picked her up she was cold to the touch so I knew it was almost time. but I am glad I was able to be there with her for her last moments and keep her warm as I could, I always try to do that for my pets. I think it's horrible to die alone, regardless of whether there's something after all this or not.

Oh no :( I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know this probably sounds callous, but it's kind of something you're forced to get used to with pocket pets. outside of like, chinchillas, which live for an absurdly long time for a rodent, most don't live more than two years. It's why I want to have rats, but I can't, because they develop actual for real personalities and I don't know if I could handle losing them in that short timeframe. but I try to make those two years wonderful for them.

coco was a real one, though. it super sucks to lose her. she had some health issues a few months back that the vet said couldn't be dealt with due to her age, so I'm glad I got this extra time with her.