Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1329087004210958350

good news, no the Kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

they couldn't do better than Ezra?

ill see myself out

i have no idea who this actor is, but im old enough to make a "better than ezra" joke in 2020 so it ain't on him

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You know I honestly think King books aren't for younger people and not because of the horror or the violence but because of his views on fat people and sex. Also falsely presenting the career of "writer" as something you can pay your bills with.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You know I honestly think King books aren't for younger people and not because of the horror or the violence but because of his views on fat people and sex. Also falsely presenting the career of "writer" as something you can pay your bills with.

It’s never been easier to live off of writing alone tho, thanks to digital self publishing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It’s never been easier to live off of writing alone tho, thanks to digital self publishing.

the money went out of self-publishing years ago, now it's just as impenetrable as trad publishing and arguably far more miserable to work in

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

quote:

"Having a nonlinear narrative differentiates us from the original miniseries, which has the same kind of linear narrative as the book, but we when first were sitting down to lay all this out, it certainly felt to me that everyone has seen Contagion and Outbreak -- and I love those movies -- did we want people to sit through three episodes of the world dying before we got to the meat of our story?" Cavell asked.

...I mean, yes? That was a third of the book and I loving loved it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Seriously, the plague part was the best part of the stand.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Seriously, the plague part was the best part of the stand.

It wasn't really made clear but it may have been solely an American thing.

Everyone else just cut the transatlantic cables and said gently caress 'em.

Someone else will probably clarify this but I recently listened to the audiobook (March or April I think right as Covid was becoming a reality)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Fake edit: but I'm pretty sure they got it to Russia and then all over Asia and Europe and well everywhere but I'm not sure I'm not confusing Ed Harris' scenes in the tv movie with the actual book.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, (edit: Starkey) think tells somebody 'Rome Falls' which was code for 'gently caress the world, open your global vials, we can't let anyone find out it was America'.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 10, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's the relevant passages:

quote:

“We have to assume the worst,” Starkey said, and a queer grin came over his face. It lifted his upper lip and made it wrinkle like the snout of a dog protecting a farmyard. He pointed a finger at the sheets of yellow flimsy on the table. “It’s out of control now. It’s popped up in Oregon, Nebraska, Louisiana, Florida. Tentative cases in Mexico and Chile. When we lost Atlanta, we lost the three men best equipped to deal with the problem. We’re getting exactly nowhere with Mr. Stuart ‘Prince’ Redman. Did you know they actually injected him with the Blue virus? He thought it was a sedative. He killed it, and no one has the slightest idea how. If we had six weeks, we might be able to turn the trick. But we don’t. The flu story is the best one, but it is imperative—imperative— that the other side never sees this as an artificial situation created in America. It might give them ideas.

“Cleveland has between eight and twenty men and women in the U.S.S.R. and between five and ten in each of the European satellite countries. Not even I know how many he has in Red China.” Starkey’s mouth was trembling again. “When you see Cleveland this afternoon, all you need tell him is Rome falls. You won’t forget?”

“No,” Len said. His lips felt curiously cold. “But do you really expect that they’ll do it? Those men and women?”

“Our people got those vials one week ago. They believe they contain radioactive particles to be charted by our Sky-Cruise satellites. That’s all they need to know, isn’t it, Len?”

“Yes, Billy.”

“And if things do go from bad to ... to worse, no one will ever know. Project Blue was uninfiltrated to the very end, we’re sure of that. A new virus, a mutation... our opposite numbers may suspect, but there won’t be time enough. Share and share alike, Len.”

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The part where Starkey starts talking about how they salvaged what they could and that it was ‘enough’ threw me for a loop since it was obviously completely the opposite. I don’t think my 12 year old mind really comprehended how batshit crazy he was at that point.

Also looking up that chapter in my 1st edition they refer to the President as “the old Georgia Giant” and it takes place (I think) in 1980 so...Jimmy Carter killed us all? Not that Carter was a giant but still, the character had to be inspired by the then President.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It says a lot about modern TV writing that they thought their only options were between dragging the start out for 3 episodes or getting non-linear with it.

Like, the Miniseries basically kicks off with it and the book gets into it pretty quickly too. I get different times and all that but don't get gimmicky with your storytelling when there's no need for it because it just distances the viewer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
And off the back of my last post...

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1338840858175606785?s=19

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Starting in the middle and doing flashbacks might work okay. Everyone knows the story, so you skip the risk of people comparing you and the book as 1:1 analogues. It also allows you to speed things along. There's a lot of slow time in the first half of the book (cough...FRAAANNY...ahem..NICK...)

Everyone loves the plague part, but now half your episodes can have plague parts, just in the form of flashbacks. I'd rather have that than see them speedrun through character introductions because it's a 1000 page book full of characters. I really don't need to see Franny's family, but in a linear timeline you can't leave them out.

I'm also trying to rationalize because WTF they're skimping on the plague parts!?!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Were they ever for younger people? He made his bones on being the guy who got his books banned from high school libraries. I dont know where he sits now in youth pop culture, but back when I was younger it seemed like older kids read him for the same reason they bought Antichrist Superstar or snuck in to Friday the 13th (that is, minor and normal teenage rebellion).

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah I had multiple teachers get mad at me for reading SK specifically during "free reading" time or whatever. I was admonished not to show the books to the other students.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Exact same here, except it was 6th grade and (appropriately enough, I guess) The Stand. That was the year before the 94 miniseries and I remember being totally hyped for it.

Not to ramble on about it too much, but I think now that reading Stephen King was probably my first experience of adult-level thinking. All the horror stuff aside, King writes characters that are real in a way that most other writers can't, because he goes down into some uncomfortable places, like Larry's relationship with his mother and the parallel relationship with Rita (not Oedipal, exactly, but both of them based in guilt and comfort), or Jack's alcoholism and self-loathing in The Shining. His characterization is great in his ensemble books like the Tommyknockers or Under the Dome, but it's loving incredible in his deep-dives like The Shining or Misery.

The big caveat here of course is that every time I just wrote character/characterization, you probably prefaced it with 'white male alcoholic artist with problems' and you'd be exactly right. Everything else is hit or miss (and when he misses, like Detta, holy lol). But he was good enough to make a hell of a living at it, and I'm glad he ended up as a (mostly) well respected author in his twilight. He deserves it.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 15, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember reading Pet Sematary in the sixth grade and my teacher actually grabbed the book out of my hands and started pointing at random words she felt I wouldn’t know to...try and prove I couldn’t read past my grade level?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Starting in the middle and doing flashbacks might work okay.

As pointed out, it's kind of asking a lot for people to get why sending Tom Cullen to Vegas as a spy is kind of a big deal when it's the first time you ever see him.

Looking forward to the inevitable fan edit that puts things back in proper order.

Lester Shy posted:

Yeah I had multiple teachers get mad at me for reading SK specifically during "free reading" time or whatever. I was admonished not to show the books to the other students.

My 8th grade midterm book report was on The Stand. I actually got a pretty decent grade on it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
AV Club has a review up for The Stand and they say it's pretty decent.

https://tv.avclub.com/the-stand-is-an-admirably-bold-often-messy-adaptation-1845882256

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I don't trust Alan Sepinwall's opinion on basically anything, so I'm more inclined to trust the AV Club.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The review calling Harold a proto-incel is very apt. I'm looking forward to it. The first half of the Stand is the best part for me, so getting a little bit every episode will keep me more involved over the run of the show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I don't trust Alan Sepinwall's opinion on basically anything, so I'm more inclined to trust the AV Club.

Good chances they are both right (the AV Club despite its praise gave a B-). While I haven't seen everything Josh Boone has done, so far his output doesn't look that impressive at all. I feel like my love of the source material will make this a positive experience in the end, but if it was some random book I never heard of, no way I would watch this based on the reviews and trailers.

Also now a days Sepinwall seems to be more correct when he he is praising a show, but out of touch when he is negative on a show. While this is not 100% of course, but he is for sure not the go to critic of prestige TV like he was 10 years ago. Still I was happy to see he put We Are Who We Are in his top 10 this year

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I am in the same boat, I think this looks mediocre and will be mediocre, but I love The Stand so I'm going to watch it all anyway.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

AV Club has a review up for The Stand and they say it's pretty decent.

https://tv.avclub.com/the-stand-is-an-admirably-bold-often-messy-adaptation-1845882256

It's okay for episode 1 thus far...but I can't imagine anyone who hasn't read the book or doesn't remember the miniseries very well having any loving clue what's going on. If they gently caress up the Lincoln Tunnel the way they hosed up Stu's escape from Stovington/Atlanta (the 1994 miniseries handled it better for god's sake) I'm gonna be real annoyed on the internet about it. (Spoiler probably unnecessary, but just in case someone doesn't wanna know a plot point they hosed up)

That said, Harold may not be fat and pimply, but they sure as gently caress nailed his oily unpleasantness.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It's okay for episode 1 thus far...but I can't imagine anyone who hasn't read the book or doesn't remember the miniseries very well having any loving clue what's going on. If they gently caress up the Lincoln Tunnel the way they hosed up Stu's escape from Stovington/Atlanta (the 1994 miniseries handled it better for god's sake) I'm gonna be real annoyed on the internet about it. (Spoiler probably unnecessary, but just in case someone doesn't wanna know a plot point they hosed up)

That said, Harold may not be fat and pimply, but they sure as gently caress nailed his oily unpleasantness.

Oh, god, yes. They nailed the Harold casting. The actor will have these tiny flashes of contempt for other people in the middle of being nice guy that was probably the best part of the 1st episode.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I tried the first episode, and I really hope someone online unravels the constant flashbacks and makes a chronological version once it is all out.
Because I don't think I want to watch it since it is like I'm reading 10 random pages from the book, flipping to a different chapter and reading 10 more. The best part of The Stand is the plague, and to just (mostly) skip over it is weird.

Casting is good so far, Harold is perfectly creepy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Oh, god, yes. They nailed the Harold casting. The actor will have these tiny flashes of contempt for other people in the middle of being nice guy that was probably the best part of the 1st episode.

Just imagine if they had let movie Hockstetter be book Hockstetter how good he would have been

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Dudes got range. Creepy kid from the It movie, creepy kid from Locke and Key and now a creepy kid in the Stand!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It’s been awhile since I watched CBS All Access. Is there seriously no way to create a list of your favorite shows?

This is the worst streaming service. “Oh you like Gunsmoke, good news, CBS All Access has 2 of the 20+ seasons.”

The fact they bothered to include all 11 seasons of Cheers was a delightful surprise.

Also I found out my wife’s new team member in Maine is King’s niece which is kind of cool.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 18, 2020

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I hate the time jumping stuff but otherwise thought the first episode was fine. As mentioned, Teague as Harold is excellent casting, he has those moments where the mask slips a little bit and he plays them just right. More plague please.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I liked it!

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I was all ready to hate this adaptation because I hate new things and things that are different, but I liked the first episode. The time skipping didn't bother me but I see how it could be confusing to someone watching who doesn't already know the story. I liked the scene where Campion sounds the alarm and then escapes the lockdown

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I like it. It's been like a decade since I read the book, so while I'm still very familiar with the story the time jumps are a bit jarring at times, but so I've enjoyed the first episode and I'm looking forward to more. It's not going to be the best show ever or anything but it'll be entertaining enough not to be a disappointment at all.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The foot blocking the door was a nice touch. I liked the book’s explanation, but that wouldn’t have translated.

Also Billy Joel music is having a moment these days. You had the ‘You’re Only Human’ in The Boys, ‘Uptown Girl’ in Preacher, and now ‘The Stranger’.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Seems to be a well made show and I'll probably keep watching it.

I re-read the Stand a few yars ago and I was baffled by all the storylines that seemed to have no impact on anything. Things happened and they were weird or creepy and so on but if they hadn't happened the story would still have ended the exact same way.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Owling Howl posted:

Things happened and they were weird or creepy and so on but if they hadn't happened the story would still have ended the exact same way.

That's not a bad general criticism of the guy's longer novels, really. You can cut a ton of subplots out that don't affect the story (but do rob it of things like thematic resonance). Like, I wonder if the Kid will be in this take of the miniseries. The cut copy of the book didn't have him and wasn't any worse for it.

edit - missed the post at the top of the page.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 19, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Owling Howl posted:

Seems to be a well made show and I'll probably keep watching it.

I re-read the Stand a few yars ago and I was baffled by all the storylines that seemed to have no impact on anything. Things happened and they were weird or creepy and so on but if they hadn't happened the story would still have ended the exact same way.

Like what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I liked the first episode, although I would have preferred a more linear start. I really didn’t like the time compression where it’s 3 days after Stu finds Champion, but apparently Captain Trips is already raging in Maine.

We’ve still got the Larry Underwood/New York storyline to look forward to at least.