Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's easy, just don't have friends and you don't need a phone!

Hell of a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

PipHelix posted:

This poo poo is obnoxious. GPS is about the only smartphone-attached innovation I actually like, but I never use it unless I'm capital L lost.

I'm boomer as gently caress, and what you do if you don't like phones is, you just look up directions before you leave, and also, most places you go, you should know how to get to because you live in the place you're in.

Seriously, my boomer rant is no one knows how the gently caress to get anywhere, even in their own hometown anymore, because cell phones have taught helplessness around building a mental map of your surroundings. But your relative is the absolute worst of both worlds. No phone and still entirely reliant on phones.

I mean, I’ll still take it over the bad old days of driving around SF and having your passenger try to read a a foldout map while everyone hopes the driver doesn’t accidentally take a wrong turn into incoming traffic (basically a rite of passage). Having a computer figure that poo poo out for you is a godsend.

Then again, I’ll almost take those days over now, where you get legions of Uber drivers who come out from Manteca and Sac and never take their eyes off their phone because they don’t know where the gently caress anything is.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i don't miss having 100 pages of mapquest directions in the passenger side of my whip

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

i don't miss having 100 pages of mapquest directions in the passenger side of my whip

the navigation app for classic world of warcraft is still called tom tom lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Johnny Truant posted:

Last time I did that was 2012, Kansas to Maryland. Once you pass Lexington Kentucky there are a lot of places that take you through tiny rear end places with tiny rear end roads, and the concept of one wrong turn becomes very real.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"Pfft, stupid GPS, i'll handle this"

*Whips out road atlas from 1976*

"Ok, so the road we are on... doesn't exist"

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

hawowanlawow posted:

I stopped caring

:same:

we already did phone derail like a hundred pages ago

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh, I definitely worked with an ancient boomer, who frequently referred to her as Hanoi Jane. He also referred to Toyotas as "Tojo Cars" and made sure to take Veteran's Day off every year to cash in on all the deals for veterans, which, like everything else, he would loudly talk about the next day. He was a mechanic for his stint in the military.

He could have at least called them "TOJOtas".

poo poo, I should start calling my Corolla that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Iron Crowned posted:

I can semi-relate. Video games are a skill, and if you're not constantly doing it, your abilities begin to deteriorate. I'll be 40 next month, and I just don't play video games as much as I used to, and I've found myself overwhelmed by some modern offerings.

There really is a big difference between the original Doom and the current iteration.
:same:. As I get older I veer towards 'dad games' that are slower paced or even turn based. I just don't have the reflexes for twitch shooters or the time commitment for MMOs for example.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

There’s a kid at work, he’s 20. He is hopelessly dependent on his phone to navigate when he goes out to deliver a pizza. That’s somewhat understandable, not everyone knows our huge delivery area as well as some of the drivers who have been doing it for years. The thing that is truly inexcusable is his refusal to memorize any addresses or street names because “Why? I have my phone.”

There are a lot of hotels and apartment complexes that we deliver to frequently, often daily. Places that he has been to dozens of times in his six months on the job. And yet he still asks other drives “is that far away, where is that?” whenever an order pops up even though he’s going to google it the second he gets in his car anyhow. It’s the strongest zoomer boomer energy I’ve ever encountered.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

:same:. As I get older I veer towards 'dad games' that are slower paced or even turn based. I just don't have the reflexes for twitch shooters or the time commitment for MMOs for example.

My reflexes for FPS and RTS games have notably gone to poo poo over the last few years (I took a years long sabbatical from gaming in general which didn’t help). Slow burn puzzle games that I used to not have the patience for like Myst are my current jam.

Maybe it’s time to switch to gardening as a hobby.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think my two favorite games of the last 5 years have been XCOM 2 and The Flame in the Flood.

XCOM is great for being turn based, but having a lot of action, while Flame is mostly chill as long as there aren't any wolves about.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Panfilo posted:

My interest in FPS games actually waned because they decided to be "realistic" with a weapon selection of 5 reskins of the same rifle and your character moves like he is wearing concrete shoes vs 90s stuff where you ran at mach-3 and rocket jumping was the rule. Old-style FPS games are experiencing a renaissance though. Ion Fury was a lot of fun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The_Franz posted:

My interest in FPS games actually waned because they decided to be "realistic" with a weapon selection of 5 reskins of the same rifle and your character moves like he is wearing concrete shoes vs 90s stuff where you ran at mach-3 and rocket jumping was the rule. Old-style FPS games are experiencing a renaissance though. Ion Fury was a lot of fun.

I've been playing diabotical off and on, it's basically quake 3 and it's free

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PipHelix posted:

To say nothing of the fact you're putting your message in the queue with like 40 scammers telling me my SSN has expired and the IRS is gonna repo my car.

I'm gonna be honest, I loving love scammers. Like, 'high point of my work day' love them. I feel bad being rude to telemarketers because they're probably struggling to make a living and it could be the only work they can find, and at least they're selling a legit(ish) product. But scammers? I can be a complete rear end in a top hat. I can put them on hold until they give up. Call them useless fuckwit c*nts. I can try to talk while my coworkers make animal noises next to me. And the longer you mess with them the less likely it is they'll be fleecing some credulous boomer. Pretending to be a confused 80 year old man who's worried the CRA are going to kick in his door before veering off to describe the contours of the model train you're going to cram up your own rear end is practically a public service. Often I'm doing a task they doesn't require thinking so I'm still being productive. Scammers are the loving best and my eyes light up every time I get an unknown number.

Unless they leave a message on the answering machine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Iron Crowned posted:

I think my two favorite games of the last 5 years have been XCOM 2 and The Flame in the Flood.

XCOM is great for being turn based, but having a lot of action, while Flame is mostly chill as long as there aren't any wolves about.

Both great games. If you liked Flame in the Flood, Raft scratched a similar 'nomadic survival itch' as well for me.

It's funny, I don't mind games that are 'spend 75% of the time looking things up on the wiki'. Nor do I mind survival games that can be a little tense at times. But fighting games, competitive shooters, hypercompetitive online games? Pass.

My nephew is really into Fortnite and it makes me feel old because I would suck rear end at that game and just get frustrated.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

everyone at my work plays fortnite and the average age among them has got to be pushing 50

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Panfilo posted:

It's funny, I don't mind games that are 'spend 75% of the time looking things up on the wiki'. Nor do I mind survival games that can be a little tense at times. But fighting games, competitive shooters, hypercompetitive online games? Pass.

My nephew is really into Fortnite and it makes me feel old because I would suck rear end at that game and just get frustrated.

Yeah, I started dropping out of shooters at some point in the 00's when a lot of them switched over from being level or story driven to online driven. I think my biggest issue is that online play is always hyper competitive, and I don't have a lot of friends who play video games, so I'm stuck with pubbies, or my brother (who I don't think can comprehend the concept of fun), so I'd just rather play my single player games.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

fat bossy gerbil posted:

There’s a kid at work, he’s 20. He is hopelessly dependent on his phone to navigate when he goes out to deliver a pizza. That’s somewhat understandable, not everyone knows our huge delivery area as well as some of the drivers who have been doing it for years. The thing that is truly inexcusable is his refusal to memorize any addresses or street names because “Why? I have my phone.”

There are a lot of hotels and apartment complexes that we deliver to frequently, often daily. Places that he has been to dozens of times in his six months on the job. And yet he still asks other drives “is that far away, where is that?” whenever an order pops up even though he’s going to google it the second he gets in his car anyhow. It’s the strongest zoomer boomer energy I’ve ever encountered.

The actual boomer energy here is you expecting him to gain some ancient pointless skill for no real reason.

It's inexcusable kids these days can't drive stick! :argh:

The bad manners here is him asking people when he's got a phone that can tell him. Now that's annoying behavior.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

The actual boomer energy here is you expecting him to gain some ancient pointless skill for no real reason.

The bad manners here is him asking people when he's got a phone that can tell him. Now that's annoying behavior.

I don't know man, if you're delivering 10 pizzas a shift to the Marriott, you should know where the Marriott is after a week.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I started dropping out of shooters at some point in the 00's when a lot of them switched over from being level or story driven to online driven. I think my biggest issue is that online play is always hyper competitive, and I don't have a lot of friends who play video games, so I'm stuck with pubbies, or my brother (who I don't think can comprehend the concept of fun), so I'd just rather play my single player games.
The other problem too for pushing-40 millenials is that there's not always a lot of time to commit to playing a game like that. And if you're self aware and don't want to be a lovely spouse / parent you're not going to neglect your family just to indulge in that ten hours a day.

Which reminds me that it's been a long time since I've heard a 'dad let's baby starve in a closet while playing everquest' story in the news. Which either means people got better (lol) or it happens so much its no longer newsworthy.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know man, if you're delivering 10 pizzas a shift to the Marriott, you should know where the Marriott is after a week.

GPS will tell you if it's advantageous to diverge from your normal route, though.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Panfilo posted:

The other problem too for pushing-40 millenials is that there's not always a lot of time to commit to playing a game like that. And if you're self aware and don't want to be a lovely spouse / parent you're not going to neglect your family just to indulge in that ten hours a day.

Which reminds me that it's been a long time since I've heard a 'dad let's baby starve in a closet while playing everquest' story in the news. Which either means people got better (lol) or it happens so much its no longer newsworthy.

Gamers just aren't having kids anymore, that's why those stories stopped. Now they just neglect their own bodies and health.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

PostNouveau posted:

Having a sense of your area and being able to wayfind within it is not comparable to driving stick. It's one of the basic capabilities of any creature.

Lib and let die posted:

GPS will tell you if it's advantageous to diverge from your normal route, though.

GPS routing is often awful though. Google Maps especially has a strong bias against backtracking, and towards the shortest distance in miles driven. There are lots of circumstances where the best, most rational route is to go an extra exit past where you're headed, then double back for 2 blocks. Instead, Maps will have you take an earlier exit and then wind your way through streets that are not laid out for efficient travel. That's to say nothing about rat running to shave 1/4 mile or 2 minutes off a route instead of sticking to thoroughfares that are designed for ease of driving and good traffic management. There are horror stories in Los Angeles about small, residential streets getting crushed with traffic when Google Maps incorporated Waze, because people were leaving well-managed high-volume streets to try and shave a couple minutes off their commute and literally destroying infrastructure and putting neighborhoods in danger because streets which were designed to have a few dozen cars go down them per hour now had hundreds and hundreds.

There are good and bad things about different technological developments. GPS-based navigation is great when you're in an area that you've never been and are unlikely to spend much time in. It's pretty bad if it keeps you from learning the streets of an area you expect to travel in regularly. It also has significant failure conditions, such as loss of signal or lag leading to last-minute instructions that lead you to get off course (best outcome) or make a dangerous, last-minute maneuver (worst outcome). Sometimes this thread engages in reactive techno-fetishism contra Boomer obstinacy and it's sorta dumb.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PostNouveau posted:

This is loving infuriating

I worked for a motel for a while in the middle of a large city and we were right off of the highway exit, except we were a little bit behind it and the road turned into a 1 way going the opposite direction right where we were. The only way to get to us was to get off the highway and IMMEDIATELY merge over so you could make a right turn which involved merging over 3 lanes where the people coming from behind you had very poor visibility because American infrastructure. And if you missed the turn it was a half mile detour through neighborhoods to get back to us, minimum

Every loving time. I would try to give very specific directions and get cut off (by Boomers!) with "It's fine just give me your address I have a Garmin" or whatever because this was pre-smartphones. And every loving time they'd miss it, get lost, and bitch at me about it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
My music doesn't stop when the GPS instructions come through, just gets a little quieter. That helps ameliorate the annoyance a bit.

You can also turn off the directions and just check the map every now and then, which funnily enough reminds me of my boomer dad trying to read some huge local map while driving at the same time, lol.

The audio cues are crucial for motorcycles though, for obvious reasons. Stopping to take off your helmet and check a map all the time is not only irritating its dangerous

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The_Franz posted:

"Pfft, stupid GPS, i'll handle this"

*Whips out road atlas from 1976*

"Ok, so the road we are on... doesn't exist"

Says here we can take a shortcut through Centralia.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I wish I could tell my GPS to avoid unprotected left turns.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I mean, I often leave it on and just ignore it, but it's nice to know if there's reports of traffic or something so I can decide to override how the GPS wants me to go.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

I wish I could tell my GPS to avoid unprotected left turns.

same

I get very boomer-cranky at my wife because she seems to plan routes with the most possible unprotected lefts and she drives a tiny car

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I go where phone says go

Is fine

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I navigate using environmental cues like seasonal bird migration, whispers on the wind, and unchecked hubris.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My pointless skill I practice just to have it is remembering my own drat password

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

I navigate using the moon and stars. If it's daytime or cloudy i just don't go out

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I mean, I’ll still take it over the bad old days of driving around SF and having your passenger try to read a a foldout map while everyone hopes the driver doesn’t accidentally take a wrong turn into incoming traffic (basically a rite of passage). Having a computer figure that poo poo out for you is a godsend.

Then again, I’ll almost take those days over now, where you get legions of Uber drivers who come out from Manteca and Sac and never take their eyes off their phone because they don’t know where the gently caress anything is.

Yea, last-mile type stuff where the directions are like, 4 turns per mile in an unfamiliar neighborhood, modern GPS is a godsend. I just don't understand people who need it on uninterrupted for long roadtrips where hours are spent driving the same direction on the same road, nor why it feels the need to chime in like ten times in each hour to explain to you how to go straight.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Says here we can take a shortcut through Centralia.

Having made that detour once, can recommend.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 18, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PipHelix posted:

Yea, last-mile type stuff where the directions are like, 4 turns per mile in an unfamiliar neighborhood, modern GPS is a godsend. I just don't understand people who need it on uninterrupted for long roadtrips where hours are spent driving the same direction on the same road, nor why it feels the need to chime in like ten times in each hour to explain to you how to go straight.

Interstate highways are a cheat code installed by the federal government.

All navigation should be done on roads called [city you're going to] Road and become [city you're coming from] Road halfway along.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Kenning posted:

There are good and bad things about different technological developments. GPS-based navigation is great when you're in an area that you've never been and are unlikely to spend much time in. It's pretty bad if it keeps you from learning the streets of an area you expect to travel in regularly. It also has significant failure conditions, such as loss of signal or lag leading to last-minute instructions that lead you to get off course (best outcome) or make a dangerous, last-minute maneuver (worst outcome). Sometimes this thread engages in reactive techno-fetishism contra Boomer obstinacy and it's sorta dumb.

I retract everything I've said about smartphones both in the last few pages and in derails past and would like to submit this in it's stead as exactly the point I've been trying less effectively to make across like, ten dozen posts.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't get the talk about not having the reflexes any more at age 40. I'm about that age and I was never great at RTSs or FPSs but I could always play them, and I still can. If you're saying "I used to be able to enter competitions and I can't any more" then, sure, fine, I wouldn't know. But I haven't noticed any deterioration in skills at all, with my casual level of play. I started playing fortnite a couple of months ago and black ops last month and do pretty well in fortnite: I very rarely win fortnite but am normally in the last 5 and my black ops KDR went from about .5 to .8 over three 2-hour multiplayer sessions. Note, as I said I've never been great at these games but it's not like I've noticed any deterioration at all in my skills.

edit: I play fortnite with 2 friends and we're definitely not up against bots.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

PipHelix posted:

But seriously, how do you manage it? I have one, and I'd like to get rid of it, but I'm noticing more and more services assume/demand that you have one.

I probably should have lead with the fact that I'm autistic and my life isn't like most of yours probably are. I don't work (I'm on disability), drive, or go a lot of places. I also live in a house with a landline (it's free because my mother is a Verizon retiree). So between all that and the amount of time I spend onlineat home it really isn't necessary at all. So it's not some boomery bullshit or some kind of hipstery rebellion. I really just don't need it and unsurprisingly I have a specific way I do or prefer a lot of things. And before someone asks, no this amount of self awareness doesn't easily make me change things. But aside from all that I really just don't care about using a smartphone or its features in public. It also really bothers me if I'm with someone and they're texting a person who won't be joining or or they're looking at websites and poo poo. But if you really think about it aside from people who have jobs that require them to be in contact with co-workers or employers or special obligations most people don't actually "need" a smartphone unless it's their only way to access the internet. It's a toy.

PipHelix posted:

This poo poo is obnoxious. GPS is about the only smartphone-attached innovation I actually like, but I never use it unless I'm capital L lost.

I'm boomer as gently caress, and what you do if you don't like phones is, you just look up directions before you leave, and also, most places you go, you should know how to get to because you live in the place you're in.

Seriously, my boomer rant is no one knows how the gently caress to get anywhere, even in their own hometown anymore, because cell phones have taught helplessness around building a mental map of your surroundings. But your relative is the absolute worst of both worlds. No phone and still entirely reliant on phones.

One of the rare advantages of being on the spectrum is I can just remember everyone's phone numbers. I remember phone numbers of kids I went to school with and haven't talked to in over 20 years. I remember the numbers of long defunct video stores. Movie theaters that are out of business, various stores etc. I remember how to get to places I've been to at least once or twice. I truly do not need a smartphone. The only reason I ever got any cellphone is because about seven or eight years back I would meet my friend in Boston for daytrips and I'd have to call him so he could find me.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

This is another thing. There are people who are completely helpless without their phone. What if you're out and you lose it? Or the battery dies?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

PipHelix posted:

nor why it feels the need to chime in like ten times in each hour to explain to you how to go straight

This doesn’t happen