Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
This is something that I've been trying to figure out for years. When my husband and I first moved in together, we bought a mismatched set of silverware from a thrift store to save money. None of the pieces match, which is fine, but there was one fork in the set that I have become absolutely obsessed with. It is the perfect fork. I always use it first when it's clean. I love the look of it, I love how sleek it is, I love the color, the feel of it. There's no other way to put it, it's the perfect fork.

I have always had a dream that I would find this fork's origins someday and be able to buy a full flatware set in the same style. I've tried googling, image searching, looking on eBay, and I've just never found anything that's exactly like it. Also it's really hard to search the internet for a specific fork. 

Below are a few pictures of the fork. It is a slightly darker silver than a traditional flatware set, with a burnished quality to it. It has a rectangle stamped into the back that says "STAINLESS STEEL TAIWAN."

I figure that the collective power of goons may be able to help me track down this elusive fork and make my dreams come true. 

Front of fork:

Back of fork:

Back of fork close up:

Side of fork:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
How much does it weigh?

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

How much does it weigh?

That's a great question! I'm not positive because I don't have a food scale or similar with a fine enough calibration. If that's important for IDing the fork though, I would be willing to get one.

It's definitely a little heavier than my other forks, though.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Looks like a Corningware Home Select, based on that finish and the squared off-ish base. The ones made before 1998 had that prominent stamp on the back, later models had it it reversed (the letters were inset, not raised). Unfortunately the line was discontinued in 2009, as the market has been flooded by cheaper imitators and lower-grade steel from other countries. Your model looks more burnished than most, but that's not a surprise if this is a thrift-store cast-off. Something to be aware of, the top bit (the tines and the, uh, scoop?) had a bad habit of flattening out and then breaking over time, so the likelihood of finding replacements, let along a full set, will be difficult. You might be able to find some on eBay or something, going rate should probably be no more than a buck per utensil, but I'd be frankly surprised if they were even that high. Shipping will probably be more. One thing to keep an eye on is that these are, superficially, very similar to Target's Threshold Kayden style, so it may be worthwhile to showroom one of those at your local Target in lieu of scouring sites hoping for orphan matches

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

How the gently caress

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

mercenarynuker posted:

Looks like a Corningware Home Select, based on that finish and the squared off-ish base. The ones made before 1998 had that prominent stamp on the back, later models had it it reversed (the letters were inset, not raised). Unfortunately the line was discontinued in 2009, as the market has been flooded by cheaper imitators and lower-grade steel from other countries. Your model looks more burnished than most, but that's not a surprise if this is a thrift-store cast-off. Something to be aware of, the top bit (the tines and the, uh, scoop?) had a bad habit of flattening out and then breaking over time, so the likelihood of finding replacements, let along a full set, will be difficult. You might be able to find some on eBay or something, going rate should probably be no more than a buck per utensil, but I'd be frankly surprised if they were even that high. Shipping will probably be more. One thing to keep an eye on is that these are, superficially, very similar to Target's Threshold Kayden style, so it may be worthwhile to showroom one of those at your local Target in lieu of scouring sites hoping for orphan matches

So, while you are at it, can you recommend me a flatware manufacturer that builds nice stuff assuming money is no object? I just want some Buy It For Life quality poo poo and everywhere I turn it seems to be trash.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 10, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So, while you are at it, can you recommend me a flatware manufacturer that builds nice stuff assuming money is no object? I just want some Buy It For Life quality poo poo and everywhere I turn it seems to be trash.

I have this set (wedding present from nearly 13 years ago) and it's excellent.

https://www.finnishdesignshop.com/t...=All%20products

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

therattle posted:

I have this set (wedding present from nearly 13 years ago) and it's excellent.

https://www.finnishdesignshop.com/t...=All%20products

That's a drat fine minimalist design, pity it's quite expensive.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

This is great info, even if a bit disappointing. Thanks for your help!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

By popular demand posted:

That's a drat fine minimalist design, pity it's quite expensive.

As i said, it was a wedding present, and they did say money was no object! It has a good hand feel, the knives cut well, and it has lasted well. We still like how it looks and feels. There is an Afrikaans expression "goedkoop is duurkoop": a cheap buy is an expensive buy.

That said, IKEA has some nice cutlery. I have always liked this set, apart from the spoon
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/data-24-piece-cutlery-set-stainless-steel-60453022/

And as basics go this is pretty nice too
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-56-piece-cutlery-set-stainless-steel-90399750/

I don't like the very shiny finishes.

The Dutch chain Hema also has some very nice cutlery, like this:
https://www.hema.com/en-gb/cooking-dining/dining/cutlery/16-piece-cutlery-set-valencia-9905062.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This one on replacements.com is pretty close.

https://www.replacements.com/silver-reed-and-barton-elke-ii-stainless-fork/p/5689551

I don't know why, but I tried overlaying the pics to see how they matched up.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This one on replacements.com is pretty close.

https://www.replacements.com/silver-reed-and-barton-elke-ii-stainless-fork/p/5689551

I don't know why, but I tried overlaying the pics to see how they matched up.

Oh wow, that is really similar! That’s definitely the closest one I’ve seen online.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

mercenarynuker posted:

:golfclap:

mystes
May 31, 2006

mercenarynuker posted:

The forks whisperer has spoken.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Pawn Stars guy: “I don’t know man, I need to talk to my fork guy first...”

*mercenarynuker’s phone rings*

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

mercenarynuker posted:

I feel like this post deserves forums-wide recognition

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
forking incredible m8

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

goldmine

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Rock My Socks! posted:

Pawn Stars guy: “I don’t know man, I need to talk to my fork guy first...”

*mercenarynuker’s phone rings*

lol I'm dying

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

mercenarynuker posted:

God drat do I love these forums.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goldmine.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I feel like this post deserves forums-wide recognition

Seriously. Virtuoso fork recognition itt

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

"will you please come to bed instead of staying up all night memorizing forks? it's cold and I'm lonely and this will never matter."

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.
I'm passing a recommendation to the Catholic church that mercenarynuker immediately be considered for canonization as the patron saint of flatware

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
gently caress.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Good God

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

May as well put a fork in this one.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:five:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Can we get mercenarynuker to start a thread about flatware identification and the history of forks or whatever

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Came all the way from byob to read the forbidden fork knowledge and was not disappointed

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

:sbahj:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Really all fork knowledge is just because you gotta know what's hot in the competitive spoons community

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
It appears Corningware is becoming a hot vintage kitchen buy, my mom absolutely has stuff branded with this

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

gently caress

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Fork thread is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!