Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Tasso is fantastic in gumbo. Also I put a tomato in it, who gives a poo poo.

Okra + roux for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it also seems like the "either roux OR okra" rule of thumb is from well before really dark, cajun-style roux came into fashion. okra never really feels out of place in a dark roux to me because they're usually not that thick in the first place

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Very true. I also usually sauté the okra a bit and that removes some of the thickening power of it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

More lazy instant pot gumbo:

Des herbs or z’herbs or w/e. It’s alright. Just used some ham hocks, but I think sausage might be critical to good gumbo.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 2, 2020

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Des herbs or z’herbs products w/e. It’s alright. Just used some ham hocks, but I think sausage might be critical to good gumbo.

Are you just making the roux with the saute function? High pressure? For how long? I love me a good instant pot recipe.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

poemdexter posted:

Are you just making the roux with the saute function? High pressure? For how long? I love me a good instant pot recipe.
Roux from a jar, lol.

I’ve been browning the meat (if there is meat) on the stove because the sauté button takes forever and seems anemic. For this I dumped the roux in a Dutch oven, sweated the trinity in it, added stock, dumped all that in the instant pot with the ham hocks and frozen greens/okra/tomatos and cooked 15? Min at pressure. Then opened it up and did it on sauté for a while to cook down a bit because it was kind of thin. It’s good, it just doesn’t quite have the body I’d like. I think it is really missing that sausage grease or maybe it needed more roux? I used like half a jar for idk, 4? Quarts of gumbo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m going to make gumbo this weekend, and my friend (whose recipe I’m using) says I should bake my roux. Is this a thing?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I’m going to make gumbo this weekend, and my friend (whose recipe I’m using) says I should bake my roux. Is this a thing?

I've for sure seen it but can't get quite remember where. A glance through my books isn't yielding anything but I know I've seen it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I believe Alton Brown uses it as a shortcut in one of his gumbo recipes, or possibly Cook's Illustrated. I've done it, it works fine, and if it makes the purists bristle even better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The_Doctor posted:

It's a thing. My mom swears by it but I forget her method.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
2 methods for baked roux:

1. Put your 50/50 flour & fat in a oven safe pot or pan and bake at 350 for 2-2.5 hours, stir every 30 minutes. You can also crank the oven to 400 and stir more often for shorter 1-1.5 hours cook time.

2. Spread dry flour in a large skillet and put in the oven at 425 for 30-45 minutes. The toasted flour tastes the same as a normal roux. Also you can completely omit the oil that you'd normally use for the roux, or replace with a smaller amount of more flavorful fat like butter.

Method 1 has never seemed like a great deal to me, unless you were maybe also using the oven for something else at the same time. Yay you don't have to constantly stir, but now it takes hours. Method 2 seems very intriguing but I've never tried it.

Anyways people exaggerate how constantly you have to stir stovetop roux. If you cook your roux at medium heat and have time to drink a beer meanwhile, you can totally leave it alone for a minute or two. I quickly alternate between stirring and chopping veggies and it comes out fine. OTOH my mom does roux with the burner at like 9 because she learned in new orleans with lessons from a professional chef, and I guess pros don't have time to sit around. You gotta stir constantly but it's done in under 5 minutes. 5 very exciting minutes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

I believe Alton Brown uses it as a shortcut in one of his gumbo recipes, or possibly Cook's Illustrated. I've done it, it works fine, and if it makes the purists bristle even better.

It's not really a shortcut but I think it's much less likely to get burned by accident. Seems like one of those things worth recommending to people that're worried about scorching it before it gets dark enough.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Klyith posted:

2 methods for baked roux:

1. Put your 50/50 flour & fat in a oven safe pot or pan and bake at 350 for 2-2.5 hours, stir every 30 minutes. You can also crank the oven to 400 and stir more often for shorter 1-1.5 hours cook time.

2. Spread dry flour in a large skillet and put in the oven at 425 for 30-45 minutes. The toasted flour tastes the same as a normal roux. Also you can completely omit the oil that you'd normally use for the roux, or replace with a smaller amount of more flavorful fat like butter.

Method 1 has never seemed like a great deal to me, unless you were maybe also using the oven for something else at the same time. Yay you don't have to constantly stir, but now it takes hours. Method 2 seems very intriguing but I've never tried it.

Anyways people exaggerate how constantly you have to stir stovetop roux. If you cook your roux at medium heat and have time to drink a beer meanwhile, you can totally leave it alone for a minute or two. I quickly alternate between stirring and chopping veggies and it comes out fine. OTOH my mom does roux with the burner at like 9 because she learned in new orleans with lessons from a professional chef, and I guess pros don't have time to sit around. You gotta stir constantly but it's done in under 5 minutes. 5 very exciting minutes.

Yeah these days I do my roux on the stovetop in about 10-12 mins. Even with that it's not constant stirring, but like you can't stop stirring for say 20 seconds though. It can be done with a proper mise en place etc but I'd never steer a new cook to it until they've made a couple batches of gumbo and know what they are expecting it to be.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Des herbs or z’herbs or w/e. It’s alright. Just used some ham hocks, but I think sausage might be critical to good gumbo.

I'm not a real Cajun person, but when I make this it's way better in the spring with green garlic.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Leah Chase's gumbo z'herbes recipe is amazing. I made a vegan gumbo z'herbes once that was really good, but I didn't have a pot big enough for all the greens I wanted to cook, so a few days later I used the same basic recipe with different spices. I took an immersion blender to about half of it, tossed in some cubed extra-firm tofu and had a really solid vegan saag "paneer". I would have just made paneer, but I didn't have any moo juice.

Tonight I'm going to be lazy and throw on some rice, crack open that can of Blue Runner red beans that's been in the cabinet for I-don't-want-to-know-how-many-years and doctor it up, and watch a terrible movie with my wife. I'm not a proud man.

e: Oh, and I usually don't do a roux for gumbo z'herbes. That would not have made for a good saag either, I think.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 2, 2020

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I find it best to start really hot, then gradually reduce the heat until at the end, after about 15-20 minutes, the heat is medium/low and things are much more manageable. Keeping it hot all the way through just leaves you open to getting a roux that doesn’t mesh properly with your stock, or is too bitter/burned, or leaves the gumbo too thin.

Couple other tricks I’ve adopted over the years that I think have improved the gumbo:

1. Stock must be at a rolling boil. Not just hot, but angry hot. This will keep things from separating. Always knew it had to be hot, but really it should be churning.
2. Whisk roux into stock a spoonful at a time, as opposed to adding stock to the roux a ladleful at a time. Helps keep the stock hot. I’ve not had it separate once using this method.
3. Process the trinity (or elements of it) as opposed to simply chopping. Leaves more room for the gumbo to shine, not so crowded. Especially if you have lots of other stuff like okra, sausage, chicken etc.
4. Use double the amount of garlic any recipe calls for. Can’t use too much garlic.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I've very much converted to adding trinity to the roux when it's about done and sauteing the veg in roux since I learned about it ITT.

Also, a thing I found a while back but never mentioned here is that rice flour worked pretty well as a roux. I was cooking for someone with celiac and the rice flour was the thing I found that I knew was safe. While it was in progress I was worried that is was gonna be useless because the roux seemed thinner and more liquid than a flour one, but in the finished pot it thickened and the oil didn't separate. So for anyone that can't have gluten, you can still have gumbo!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some late night etouffée

It's my old go-to, a slightly modified version of a Prudhomme recipe. I cut down on the butter a bit and add some peppers, usually jalapeño, and a bunch of garlic. I also made some pretty drat solid shrimp stock. I started with a vegetable stock base, simmered for maybe 8 hours yesterday, and then tossed in the heads and shells from my peeled shrimp for another couple of hours. I am very happy with the results. I love etouffée.

The baguette is also homemade.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 5, 2020

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That looks really, really good. I use the prudhomme recipe too, and I also cut the butter by half. I don’t get my roux dark enough for it to look like that though!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hhhnnngh.

I would like some please. It’ll mail fine to the UK, right? :ohdear:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That looks really, really good. I use the prudhomme recipe too, and I also cut the butter by half. I don’t get my roux dark enough for it to look like that though!
I used to cut the butter in half, but I've kind of come around to using more over the years. The recipe calls for two sticks and I use 1.5. One stick with the shrimp (or crawfish) tails and green onions and then another half stick cut up and swirled into the final mixture. Prudhomme used a whole stick for that last part and it comes out a little too greasy and thin for me.

I aimed for a red-brown roux and most of the color definitely comes from that, but I think a fair bit also came from my stock. Or maybe more that it didn't lighten the etouffée too much. The vegetable base turned out fairly dark and the shrimp didn't change that.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Instant pot gumbo with chicken thighs and smoked deer sausage (thanks grandpa). Made about a cup of roux myself and used frozen “gumbo vegetables” which is just mirapoix and okra. Just waiting for rice to be done to dive into this.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Playing Cyberpunk 2077 and an NPC cooked us up some jambalaya. It's uh... yeah...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No rice in the future I guess

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No rice in the future I guess

That actually comes up. Having "sushi with real rice" means you're rich. Having actual fish in it is like a once-a-year treat.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I assume that’s synthetic meat then...also that there is some kind of rice substitute good enough for sushi, so might also work in jambalaya?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The quest explicitly asks you to go get the rice from the kitchen (he's cooking outdoors). You come back with a box of rice and pour it in but maybe my graphics settings aren't maxed out because it only looks like maybe 15 grains of rice came out of the box.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Could you use something else? Rice is a staple all over the world, and there's various analogues. Couscous, cornmeal, polenta, etc. Jambalaya with grits would be interesting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I feel like a barley jambalaya would be creamy etc and work well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’m sure any carb would work, just need to adjust things Since at least in my recipes the rice goes in and cooks in the liquid in the pot with everything else

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

That Works posted:

Red Beans and Rice

This dish is commonly made on Mondays as a way to utilize leftover ham and pork bones from Sunday dinner. This is a customary dish as Ham is typically served on Sundays and you can find this on special for Monday lunches all over the region. This dish is distinctly Creole, if you were wondering about that.

I was craving red beans and rice so I made this recipe for dinner tonight. Turned out excellent. Plus I saved the rest for meal-prep.

I used a smoked ham hock in place of the ham. I think I overdid it on thyme also. I'd either add it sooner or scale back a bit. Definitely my fault since I just eye-balled it instead of measuring. Is there a better way to mash the beans than with a spoon against the wall of the pot? All the other bits kept getting in the way making it a chore.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I was craving red beans and rice so I made this recipe for dinner tonight. Turned out excellent. Plus I saved the rest for meal-prep.

I used a smoked ham hock in place of the ham. I think I overdid it on thyme also. I'd either add it sooner or scale back a bit. Definitely my fault since I just eye-balled it instead of measuring. Is there a better way to mash the beans than with a spoon against the wall of the pot? All the other bits kept getting in the way making it a chore.

You can spoon some into a cup and hit them with a stick blender but yeah its always a bit of a pain.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dik Hz posted:

If you cook them long enough they start to sort of melt, and for some reason the next day they are always creamier and better. I guess the starch leaches out and sets up?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
use one can of beans, they're pre-cooked and will start to fall apart into bean-glue way faster than the dry beans. (in fact don't add them too early)

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you cook them long enough they start to sort of melt, and for some reason the next day they are always creamier and better. I guess the starch leaches out and sets up?

I think it's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrogradation_(starch)

Fresh off the stove it's been at a temperature that's above the starch gelatinizing limit, so all the starch molecules are melted disassociated soup. Then when it cools off it solidifies, and when you reheat leftovers you're only heating it up to the intermediate temperature where it's melted but still gelatinized.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Merry Christmas y'all! What's on your menu tomorrow?

EDIT: Meme

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 24, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Merry Christmas y'all! What's on your menu tomorrow?

EDIT: Meme

:mad:

No cajun food for this one. Doin a big roast beef, pan sauce and homemade pasta, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad and cornbread.

For thanksgiving we made jambalaya and then turkey gumbo after, prob do gumbo again for new years

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
No Cajun or Creole tomorrow, but I'm trying to clear out what I can from my freezer by New Years, so etouffee will probably happen soon.

https://youtu.be/_pxVVsRHu48

Joyeux Noël you dirty animals

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seafood gumbo for the Saints game coming. Stock is ready.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's beautiful