Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I really loved the Citizen Kane ep, it made me want to go back and watch the movie. Fellowship was also fun.

Now the Mandolorian eps getting hours long...that's a tougher pill to swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh gently caress yes. I can’t wait for this.

dorium posted:

Guess I'll be listening to the Nexus for the first time in forever.

Not for nothing, but why weren’t you listening to the Nexus this entire time? It might be my favorite thing they put out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

thrawn527 posted:

Oh gently caress yes. I can’t wait for this.

Not for nothing, but why weren’t you listening to the Nexus this entire time? It might be my favorite thing they put out.

It was always hit and miss with me. Especially for a property I enjoy I just kept thinking "Why am I just not watching this episode?". Whereas the 90210/Melrose Place shows, a pair of shows I dont really consider myself a fan, but rabid about the podcast eps.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Still bummed JJ Trek won that poll. By far the least interesting of the Trek movies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sponges posted:

Still bummed JJ Trek won that poll. By far the least interesting of the Trek movies.

My only regret is because it was WLM, Into Darkness couldn't be an option because boy that movie sucked rear end and was by far the most boring and stupid Trek movie I've ever seen

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

To be fair, the last two main feed eps were also almost a full 10 mins before the main theme even kicked in. I don't care much because they put the background music correctly so I can skip to find it but I've definitely noticed the increased length of pre-ep stuff lately.

I was just about to post this. Intro creep is starting to get pretty annoying. 3-5 minutes, okay, but pushing 10 minutes?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

FistEnergy posted:

I was just about to post this. Intro creep is starting to get pretty annoying. 3-5 minutes, okay, but pushing 10 minutes?

These eps lately are 2.5 to 3 hours song. It seems to scale to length of episode. When mid episode ads are going to pop in remain a mystery to me though

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Rabbi Tupac posted:

It doesn't help that a lot of their guests are just not that knowledgeable about the movie or actively encourage the annoying poo poo on Blank Check. However, the recent-ish ep they had on Contact with Jamie Bell was great. To keep it relevant the boys have been on the podcast a few times too.

I enjoyed the Forrest Gump episode with Jamelle Bouie. I thought he added an interesting perspective, and he tends to be a decent podcast guest in general.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

The Gillman posted:

When mid episode ads are going to pop in remain a mystery to me though

I can tell you for sure, it's always a half second after I start cutting raw chicken/hands coated in olive oil/gloves covered in bathroom cleaner/etc etc

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

flesh dance posted:

I can tell you for sure, it's always a half second after I start cutting raw chicken/hands coated in olive oil/gloves covered in bathroom cleaner/etc etc

Oh good it's not just me. Which leads to my next question;

Soup du Jour posted:

Asking me to sit down for 2:20 on some lovely horror movie I’ll never watch or one of the C-tier Brimley movies is a lot bigger than the same but 1:30-1:40.

This is a podcast, why are you sitting down to listen like you're a middle aged man in the 1930s sitting by the radio? This is what I listen to whilst out and about or doing busywork like washing up etc. Obviously it's better when it's a movie I like or at least know but I just like hearing these guys talk and riff in my background.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
like the guys said about themselves on the mailbag: what else do i have to do for 3 hours during this pandemic.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Even pre-pandemic, most weekends I'll tell my wife "I'm going to take a podcast nap" and I'll relax in bed while the phone plays from the bedside table. If I actually get really sleepy I'll probably turn it off, but it's just a nice way to relax. It's almost like meditation: some people listen to the sounds of nature and running water to harness their nirvana, I listen to podcasts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Podcasts have usually been my drive time commute activity. Since the pandemic has made my commute non-existent, I've cut way back on the podcasts I listen to. But I sure do more dishes and fold more laundry than I used to, just to have something to do while listening to podcasts!

My family doesn't seem to mind.

My wife: "No really, you did the last 3 loads of dishes, I can get this one."
Me, seeing that the Fellowship of the Ring episode just dropped, grabbing headphones: "No no, I've got it!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
WHM is a great way to kill the first portion of my work day.

I have my daily short (10-15 minute) podcasts for drive into work, then WHM, which kills the first part of my day fairly well.

I save the informational podcasts for after lunch when I'm ready to take a nap anyway.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I don’t even know if I can do dishes without a podcast going anymore.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I listen to WHM in bed at night. Sometimes it's a struggle to keep from laughing and waking my wife up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ll listen to old episodes that I’ve heard a million times to fall asleep to, but NEVER a new one. Heresy

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

teen witch posted:

I’ll listen to old episodes that I’ve heard a million times to fall asleep to, but NEVER a new one. Heresy

yeah, i've fallen asleep listening to the devil's advocate and mortal kombat so many times. if they can see the downloads, they're probably weirded out by me. but new episodes i wanna actually pay attention to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thanks, thread, for letting me know I'm not insane for listening to podcasts as I go to sleep. I know a lot of people who find the idea utterly bizarre. Gonna go feel normal now about turning my fan on high and listening to a WHM rerun before I face another horrible day of existence.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Marin Karin posted:

yeah, i've fallen asleep listening to the devil's advocate and mortal kombat so many times. if they can see the downloads, they're probably weirded out by me. but new episodes i wanna actually pay attention to.

Oh I'm paying attention even though I'm in bed. I'm totally engaged. If anything it prevents me from falling asleep.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I guess I should rewatch Batman Returns? I haven't seen it in probably 20 years and I recall thinking it was pretty average. I remember the McDonald's merch more than the movie. All of the guys were raving about it in the episode so I'll have to revisit it.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I too am rewatching Returns before listening. Holy poo poo this thing is even more Burtony than I remember.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
For the longest time it was like clockwork. Any time I'd see that a burton batman was on TV, I'd think "Oh good, clown henchmen. I've never seen the first one since Batman Returns is all that's ever shown", and then the penguin shows up and I realize I've been tricked again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FistEnergy posted:

I guess I should rewatch Batman Returns? I haven't seen it in probably 20 years and I recall thinking it was pretty average. I remember the McDonald's merch more than the movie. All of the guys were raving about it in the episode so I'll have to revisit it.

I posted my thoughts last week. Because I mistakenly thought they were doing it then.

thrawn527 posted:

So I watched Batman Returns in anticipation of the gang doing it for WLM. It's the first time I've watched it since I saw it in the theater when I was 9, and my mom took me to see it (which she deeply regretted) so it was almost a first time watch. I was blown away by how deeply, fundamentally weird that movie is. Like, that is one weird loving movie. I am so confused how it's the followup to Batman '89. It feels as different from that movie as Forever is from Returns. It is certainly a Tim Burton movie, but for being a Batman movie? Just so drat weird! I read that he made Edward Scissorhands in between the first and second Batman movies, which makes a lot of drat sense. I guess this is Burton just leaning way more into his evolving directorial style?

I'll say the best stuff in it is the Bruce and Selina relationship. The moment on the dance floor where they realize who each other are is great. Selina's, "Does this mean we have to fight now?" is good stuff. And Walken is appropriately, well, Walken. And at the end, when Batman takes his mask off, and Walken says, "Bruce Wayne? Why are you dressed up like Batman?" Genuine laugh, right there. And Walken's character's son doing an insane Walken impression is gold. Also, pretty sure he's played by the guy who played Zangief in the Street Fighter movie?

But, so, was the Penguin's plot the whole time to kill the first born of Gotham? 10th Plague poo poo? Which is defeated in a moment by Batman just beating up the driver of the truck? And the mayoral election plotline was, what, filler? That's pretty weak.

Also, people who complained about Batman not being in much of The Dark Knight Rises. Uh...how do you feel about this movie? Because this is the Penguin show.

I lean towards not liking the movie. Great performances, but kind of a mess. But I can't wait to hear them talk about this weird rear end movie.

And after listening to the guy’s thoughts on it...they’re not wrong, and I almost want to watch it again. I don’t think I’m wrong either, in that it is extremely weird, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. And Keaton and Pfeiffer are amazing in it. But DeVito is just so god drat weird, and I maintain that his main plot makes no sense.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 18, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think Batman was probably the best mainstream property you could put a Tim Burton cover over.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

broke: die hard is the best christmas movie

woke: batman returns is the best christmas movie

Spatulater bro! posted:

Oh I'm paying attention even though I'm in bed. I'm totally engaged. If anything it prevents me from falling asleep.

ah to be clear i just meant for me i avoid new ones in bed. i'm the same, i focus so much on it i forget about the whole "sleeping" thing so i save them for later. hopefully i didn't come off like i was saying people weren't giving it proper respect or something.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

The Gang is doing a raffle!

https://twitter.com/stephensajdak/status/1338880479508959236?s=20

https://e.givesmart.com/events/iXC/

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Marin Karin posted:

broke: die hard is the best christmas movie

woke: batman returns is the best christmas movie

ah to be clear i just meant for me i avoid new ones in bed. i'm the same, i focus so much on it i forget about the whole "sleeping" thing so i save them for later. hopefully i didn't come off like i was saying people weren't giving it proper respect or something.

i found out last night that Invasion USA from 1985 is a christmas movie and you're drat right i'm calling it in for LRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-G2J2pouA

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This Batman Returns episode is so drat good. I've listened to it three times.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

I too am rewatching Returns before listening. Holy poo poo this thing is even more Burtony than I remember.
There are a lot of motifs in Elfman's score that are very Nightmare Before Christmas.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

While I understand impressions are hard and don’t blame them for this, I find it funny how much like with Holly Hunter and Gary Busey, their impressions of Stacy Keach and Robert Stack are identical.

“UPdate: Your angel of death awaits.”

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 21, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

ohrwurm posted:

i found out last night that Invasion USA from 1985 is a christmas movie and you're drat right i'm calling it in for LRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-G2J2pouA

this is the bespoke answer

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
"We're just podcasters with some advertisements that SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE."

I have never more felt like the show was talking directly to this thread.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Nah, it's absolutely the "1 STAR REVIEW, TOO MANY TRUMP IMPRESSIONS, WHAT A BUNCH OF LIB-TARDS" people who don't even subscribe anymore that they always poke fun at. Even at its worst, the thread is still closer to "I don't like the ads but A) I'm even a patreon subscriber, I just want a drat no ad feed B) eh it's all good".

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I want to preface this post by saying I love my children but if disney offered me a citizen kane type deal for one of them and their payment would be they actually make Hitchcock presents with The Muppets I would consider it...

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I guess I should watch this Muppet Christmas Carol because I'm not really feeling the episode. It really does help when you're familiar with the movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

I guess I should watch this Muppet Christmas Carol because I'm not really feeling the episode. It really does help when you're familiar with the movies.

If you like Christmas movies at all, or Muppet movies at all, then yes, you absolutely should. It's one of the best of both, so as a Venn Diagram of the two, it's an all timer.

This episode, so far, is really working for me as a huge fan of the movie.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I loving love the Gonzo impressions

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Re: Mandalorian Half Hour. Never thought I'd agree with Cabin about something but here we are. 2020 strikes again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arson Daily posted:

Re: Mandalorian Half Hour. Never thought I'd agree with Cabin about something but here we are. 2020 strikes again!

Which thing?